mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
pseudogourmet98 wrote:For those who missed the balsamic vinegar, I suggest you try a bottle of this 18 year aged balsamic from Modena. It is thick, smooth, sweet, and at $20 for 375ml, is definitely QPR!

looks yummy...and the other flavors look interesting

edit: ohhh look...top (can't keep up with what it is called this week) annnnnnddddd look who got her black square!!!!!! yea me!!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cheron98 wrote:And he wonders why he has so much wine...

Also, No Bevmo here.

No, I know why I have so much wine ... I blame Corrado!

I miss the EWN notifications for the Wine Woot-Offs.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

anyone visit what seems to be pervert.woot? Didn't think it could get worse than on juvie, but..

I think we make TT proud here.

CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
mommadeb1 wrote:looks yummy...and the other flavors look interesting

edit: ohhh look...top (can't keep up with what it is called this week) annnnnnddddd look who got her black square!!!!!! yea me!!

Congrats!

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
rjquillin wrote:anyone visit what seems to be pervert.woot? Didn't think it could get worse than on juvie, but..

Hmmm, I guess not.

mommadeb1

chemvictim wrote:Congrats!

thanks!

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20
cheron98 wrote:And he wonders why he has so much wine...

Also, No Bevmo here.

Trader joes usually has them stacked near the exit.

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:anyone visit what seems to be pervert.woot? Didn't think it could get worse than on juvie, but..

I was thoroughly enjoying that thread especially when they used the magic eraser on the model.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:BevMo yes, grocery stores not so much. Room is more limited, so they usually break those boxes down quickly.

Bevmo, grocery stores are the same thing for us: no Bevmo and grocery stores don't carry wine in NYS. For HAK though, trips to Jersey wine is available in supermarkets.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
bahwm wrote:Bevmo, grocery stores are the same thing for us: no Bevmo and grocery stores don't carry wine in NYS. For HAK though, trips to Jersey wine is available in supermarkets.

You have Costco's out that way?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:Day 2 of heavy all day downpours..not as bad a Colorado..but we r flooded here..in town roads are totally underwater...we are expecting another full night and day of this weather!! Soo miserable...throwing the kids at school off as well...we are expecting minimum of 4 inches..which does t sound lime much ...except when you realize the ground is totally saturated and how flat everything is here!!!

Hope the weather forecasters are wrong and you don't get so much. We got about 2.5 inches on Saturday. Definitely too much rain.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

otolith wrote:You have Costco's out that way?

No Costco by us yet, but they are scouting the area. We have BJ's and Sam's Club. Costco is just over the border in Canada, about a half hour drive. So is IKEA. But no IKEA near us stateside. We went to the one near you once.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
bahwm wrote:No Costco by us yet, but they are scouting the area. We have BJ's and Sam's Club. Costco is just over the border in Canada, about a half hour drive. So is IKEA. But no IKEA near us stateside. We went to the one near you once.

Yeah, but I don't think Ontario allows wine or liquor sales outside LCBO or wineries. Sometimes I'm still a little surprised I can just buy wine along with eggs, meat, and cheese.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
mommadeb1 wrote:Day 2 of heavy all day downpours..not as bad a Colorado..but we r flooded here..in town roads are totally underwater...we are expecting another full night and day of this weather!! Soo miserable...throwing the kids at school off as well...we are expecting minimum of 4 inches..which does t sound lime much ...except when you realize the ground is totally saturated and how flat everything is here!!!

+1

...and the radar shows another giant mass of precipitation coming in off the Gulf which will probably soak most of the peninsula for the better part of today as well.

And it is definitely affecting the mood/behavior of the kids (and staff) at our school too!

pseudogourmet98

mommadeb1 wrote:looks yummy...and the other flavors look interesting

Yes, some of the flavored balsamics are "interesting", but the 18 year is fantastic. I think they have a retail store in the International Mall and one in St Pete as well. Don't know what part of the area you are in.

And congrats on the square! I'm still a long way off, but my CC and DH (would that be Mr.Pseudo? ) tell me that I will get there waaaay faster than I should.

otolith

bahwm wrote:No Costco by us yet, but they are scouting the area. We have BJ's and Sam's Club. Costco is just over the border in Canada, about a half hour drive. So is IKEA. But no IKEA near us stateside. We went to the one near you once.

I was thinking that may be a good spot for HAK to get boxes...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Yes, some of the flavored balsamics are "interesting", but the 18 year is fantastic. I think they have a retail store in the International Mall and one in St Pete as well. Don't know what part of the area you are in.

And congrats on the square! I'm still a long way off, but my CC and DH (would that be Mr.Pseudo? ) tell me that I will get there waaaay faster than I should.

I have a small bottle of 18yr, and it is incredible!

--John Muir

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:No, I know why I have so much wine ... I blame Corrado!

I miss the EWN notifications for the Wine Woot-Offs.

Waaay too busy these days, sorry Just get Woot Watcher on your phone or something and set it up to only alert you to w.w stuff.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

bahwm wrote:Bevmo, grocery stores are the same thing for us: no Bevmo and grocery stores don't carry wine in NYS. For HAK though, trips to Jersey wine is available in supermarkets.

Try again. NJ doesn't typically have wine in the supermarkets due to the very restrictive liquor licensing. There are, however, GADS of liquor stores scattered throughout the state.

Of course, then there's the cost involved with GOING to NJ - by the time we pay the bridge tolls and gas, and spend time running around trying to find somewhere, we'd be better off just buying boxes from the storage place

cheron98

otolith wrote:I was thinking that may be a good spot for HAK to get boxes...

I'll have to make a run sometime to check Costco. There's no TJ's anywhere near us that sell wine. Maybe I can check Costco on Saturday when I take the stupid cat to the vet for her shots - Costco is right next door.

The stupid cat who is currently sniffing my lunch plate for scraps of salmon and yogurt... Hm.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Waaay too busy these days, sorry Just get Woot Watcher on your phone or something and set it up to only alert you to w.w stuff.

But that involves effort on my part!

Besides, that's for all WW stuff and not Favorites!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
cheron98 wrote:I'll have to make a run sometime to check Costco. There's no TJ's anywhere near us that sell wine. Maybe I can check Costco on Saturday when I take the stupid cat to the vet for her shots - Costco is right next door.

The stupid cat who is currently sniffing my lunch plate for scraps of salmon and yogurt... Hm.

In NYS, no wine in supermarkets, TJ's, Costco or anywhere else but a liquor store. (Well, certain wine-like, but basically undrinkable NYS products are sometimes in supermarkets, but I think they're low-alcohol or something like that. Other than that, supermarkets carry only beer.)

That said, some food stores (like the TJs in Union Square), have a nearby, but separate, wine store.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:You have Costco's out that way?

We're actually getting a Costco out here in Sioux Falls, opening in about two weeks. South Dakota hasn't seen such excitement since the discovery of ice. Ten points if you get the reference.

One of these days I hope we get a TJ's, but for the time being I still stop at one in the Twin Cities when I'm there on one of my frequent visits. It would be nice to not have to wait a few weeks and travel 250 miles to get there, though.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
coynedj wrote:We're actually getting a Costco out here in Sioux Falls, opening in about two weeks. South Dakota hasn't seen such excitement since the discovery of ice. Ten points if you get the reference.

One of these days I hope we get a TJ's, but for the time being I still stop at one in the Twin Cities when I'm there on one of my frequent visits. It would be nice to not have to wait a few weeks and travel 250 miles to get there, though.

Not to get off-topic...but about TJ's. TJ's has always been this mythical thing to me. Based on everything I had heard from all of kinds of people, I had formed this image in my head about what I thought TJ's was.

Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed when walking around downtown Chicago this summer and we stumbled across a TJ's. My first thought when we walked in was "Where is the rest of it? This is some sort of abbreviated version of TJ's, right???"

From all of the stories I had heard, I expected this giant, glorious place filled with this large variety of unique/cheap/gourmet (all-in-one!) items, a large wine selection and just much much more. The place was smaller than any grocery store I had ever been to. I mean seriously, I've seem carryouts that are at least half of the size. We didn't spend my time looking around, and maybe that's what I needed to do to get the "TJ's experience", but I simply did not understand all of the hooplah after that initial visit.

Here is to hoping that the downtown Chi-Town location is but a shadow of what the typical TJ's is (though my wife told me, nope that's TJ's).

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:Trader joes usually has them stacked near the exit.

Problem with those is the top/bottom is cut off...

cortot20 wrote:I was thoroughly enjoying that thread especially when they used the magic eraser on the model.

...kinda like what woot did with this thread!

CT

mommadeb1

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Yes, some of the flavored balsamics are "interesting", but the 18 year is fantastic. I think they have a retail store in the International Mall and one in St Pete as well. Don't know what part of the area you are in.

we will prob. be heading up st. pete way in a few weeks...about an hour north of us... will have to check it out..
as far as my black square..... hmmm for some strange reason, I was the only one in my house who was super excited!! My kids just rolled their eyes at me, Mr. Mommadeb just shook his head....oh well.. I did the happy dance!!

mommadeb1

well, I just went out to see how deep the water is in my front yard.... the deepest point was about 4 inches over my ankle... too much fun

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:well, I just went out to see how deep the water is in my front yard.... the deepest point was about 4 inches over my ankle... too much fun

Used to love it when that happened when I was a kid. I'd build a boat out of scrap wood in a few minutes and go sail it in the streets.

lost a few down the sewer too...

CT

pseudogourmet98

mommadeb1 wrote:we will prob. be heading up st. pete way in a few weeks...about an hour north of us... will have to check it out..
as far as my black square..... hmmm for some strange reason, I was the only one in my house who was super excited!! My kids just rolled their eyes at me, Mr. Mommadeb just shook his head....oh well.. I did the happy dance!!

Didn't realize you were that far south. The main store is in Sarasota, right on St Armand's Circle if that is closer, and you can taste all the oils and vinegars they sell.

mommadeb1

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Didn't realize you were that far south. The main store is in Sarasota, right on St Armand's Circle if that is closer, and you can taste all the oils and vinegars they sell.

well, right now, st. Armands is under water! will have to go tasting...yummmm

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:Not to get off-topic...but about TJ's. TJ's has always been this mythical thing to me. Based on everything I had heard from all of kinds of people, I had formed this image in my head about what I thought TJ's was.

Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed when walking around downtown Chicago this summer and we stumbled across a TJ's. My first thought when we walked in was "Where is the rest of it? This is some sort of abbreviated version of TJ's, right???"

From all of the stories I had heard, I expected this giant, glorious place filled with this large variety of unique/cheap/gourmet (all-in-one!) items, a large wine selection and just much much more. The place was smaller than any grocery store I had ever been to. I mean seriously, I've seem carryouts that are at least half of the size. We didn't spend my time looking around, and maybe that's what I needed to do to get the "TJ's experience", but I simply did not understand all of the hooplah after that initial visit.

Here is to hoping that the downtown Chi-Town location is but a shadow of what the typical TJ's is (though my wife told me, nope that's TJ's).

I'm also completely underwhelmed by them. Hardly ever go and it's 8 minutes away.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
rjquillin wrote:Used to love it when that happened when I was a kid. I'd build a boat out of scrap wood in a few minutes and go sail it in the streets.

lost a few down the sewer too...

We all float down here

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

North316 wrote:Not to get off-topic...but about TJ's. TJ's has always been this mythical thing to me. Based on everything I had heard from all of kinds of people, I had formed this image in my head about what I thought TJ's was.

It depends on the area. We have two TJ's in Long Beach, and one is definitely bigger than the other. And my sister (who lives in Ventura) said the local one is a lot smaller than the one she goes to.

I would imagine real estate prices are a lot higher (where's that sarcasm font?) downtown than in the suburbs. So going to one in a downtown area is going to be misleading.

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Tonight was a sad sad night....there were two bottles from the wine we had shipped home last year after the RPM tour which when I was sorting through stuff a couple weeks ago discovered the tops of them were not looking too good. Both were 2007 Jana Riesling Black & Red Vineyard (Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula) where the first had sticky seepage from the top and the other had a cork that was protruding somewhat. We opened both tonight in succession to discover that the protruding cork one had cork taint and the other had the signs of both cork taint and cookage.

Fixed the night by opening a LOVELY 2001 Mumm Napa Grande Année....

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:But that involves effort on my part!

Besides, that's for all WW stuff and not Favorites!

I'll set it up for you on Saturday if you don't want to

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Tonight was a sad sad night....there were two bottles from the wine we had shipped home last year after the RPM tour which when I was sorting through stuff a couple weeks ago discovered the tops of them were not looking too good. Both were 2007 Jana Riesling Black & Red Vineyard (Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula) where the first had sticky seepage from the top and the other had a cork that was protruding somewhat. We opened both tonight in succession to discover that the protruding cork one had cork taint and the other had the signs of both cork taint and cookage.

Sad on the one hand, but on the other hand you now have *three* more spaces for wine!

InFrom

quality posts: 34 Private Messages InFrom
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Tonight was a sad sad night....there were two bottles from the wine we had shipped home last year after the RPM tour which when I was sorting through stuff a couple weeks ago discovered the tops of them were not looking too good. Both were 2007 Jana Riesling Black & Red Vineyard (Michigan, Leelanau Peninsula) where the first had sticky seepage from the top and the other had a cork that was protruding somewhat. We opened both tonight in succession to discover that the protruding cork one had cork taint and the other had the signs of both cork taint and cookage.

That's a dirty shame about the Jana.

rjquillin

Day three, and it continues..

And losing the Jana is not a good thing at all.

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Day three, and it continues..

And losing the Jana is not a good thing at all.

Geez...can't a guy try to soften the blow?

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Geez...can't a guy try to soften the blow?

At least you know/knew where yours are/were. I grabbed three on the rpm tour and have no idea where they ended up. Don't remember if I drove them back or WD shipped them. Gone, just gone, until they appear, hopefully.

CT