bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:Great start to the day. Biometric wellness testing in our office today for our medical insurance. I haven't been to a doctor in probably about 15 years, so wasn't sure how the results would come out.

Cholesterol - This was my biggest fear...nailed it. Total cholesterol 158 and HDL 46.

Glucose - Also a fear, and should get tested further anyway, but for the time being....nailed it. 93

Blood Pressure - Initial reading was bad...189/112. Retook it, 160/104. Still not good, but then she rattled off things which could increase blood pressure, stress - check, lack of sleep - check (only 4 hrs last night), cold or allergy medicine - check (not thinking this morning I took a claritin-D).

Still need to keep my eye on the BP, but this should keep my wife off my back about going to a doctor for a little while (hopefully until next year's test!).

mass amounts of fried food to celebrate football being back, -check.

How the hell you nailed Cholesterol is a mystery.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:mass amounts of fried food to celebrate football being back, -check.

How the hell you nailed Cholesterol is a mystery.

Agreed. Without much knowledge on how cholesterol is really manifested in the bloodstream, I'm guessing it has a lot more to do with the last month or several months activity and wouldn't really spike based on short-term consumption like glucose levels certainly would. With that being said, I really haven't eaten that well for the last several weeks, so it is possible that I am just super-human.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Agreed. Without much knowledge on how cholesterol is really manifested in the bloodstream, I'm guessing it has a lot more to do with the last month or several months activity and wouldn't really spike based on short-term consumption like glucose levels certainly would. With that being said, I really haven't eaten that well for the last several weeks, so it is possible that I am just super-human.

I haven't eaten well for the last 3 decades and my cholesterol is fine. I think it's more hereditary than anything.

I did get a BP scare at a similar work screening a few years back. Turns out I shouldn't have eaten 2 donuts and drank 3 cups of coffee before power-walking two buildings over to get tested. Go figure.

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:Sounds like too much work.

It's not, and it's worth it. I got a unit years ago, perhaps four or five, that records readings for two people, and a third selection for random non-recorded readings. It's great to track how I vary at different times of the day, before and after my single BP med, before and after various forms of exercise.

As I hold both a commercial/HazMat Cal DL and an aviation medical cert, to me BP is vital to control. Both my GP doc as well as my AME (aviation specific doc) appreciate and use the info I provide. I am well controlled with a single med; very important for the CA-DL. If I need to add a second, certification becomes much more complex and frequent (expensive).

Also, donate blood! You get BP readings and they do a simple cholesterol screening and you get your results on-line.

I'm not a doc, but from all I've been told, that 160 is of concern. While it would not disqualify me from both my licenses, I would have to undergo additional and more frequent testing.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

well this sucks... I was going to order some of the 3 basket balls for our school.. got approval to do so... and they are gone!! aggggg hhhh

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
otolith wrote: And yes, he'd have to contact us every day.

I agree with everyone who is encouraging you to let him go, but I suggest you re-think this last part. Based on my experience taking 8-14 year old boys on choir trips to England, when we essentially prohibited home contact for the entire 3+ weeks, daily contact could lead to homesickness. Of course, that was before email had become such a routine part of daily life. Just try not to be too severe if he gets caught up in having a good time, and forgets once or twice.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:My son has an opportunity to go to Germany with one of his friends from school. They'll be gone for 2-1/2 weeks, and he pretty much only has to pay for his plane ticket, and then some spending money, since his friend's mom is originally from the Mother Land, so they'll be able to stay with family. My son will be 12 when this occurs. I think it's a great opportunity for him, and think it'll be a great experience, and think that it'll make him grow up/mature from it. My wife is a little more cool to the idea, particularly that it will be such a long time. Thoughts?

I just (finally) talked to my daughter, who spent two weeks in the Munich area just a few months ago. She's 22, so it's not directly comparable, but she said that if you know a little of the language (and his friend's Mom will certainly help there), Germany is a very easy country for an American to get around in. It sounds like an excellent opportunity for him - the kind I wish I had had when I was his age! Like others have said, if you trust the family and keep in touch with him daily, it could well be a wonderful trip for him.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 543 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

mommadeb1 wrote:well this sucks... I was going to order some of the 3 basket balls for our school.. got approval to do so... and they are gone!! aggggg hhhh

I'm sure they'll be back if it was from us.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

mommadeb1

ThunderThighs wrote:I'm sure they'll be back if it was from us.

yup it was on sports woot...our school REALLY needs some new basketballs, dodge balls (the soft foam kind) and kick balls... the basketballs listed were only $3 each...

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:Then check it every time you go to the grocery store or pharmacy that has one of those BP machines. My doc said those are surprisingly accurate.

Not for me. But then again, I usually have to have the pretty nurses do it over again.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

Staff

mommadeb1 wrote:yup it was on sports woot...our school REALLY needs some new basketballs, dodge balls (the soft foam kind) and kick balls... the basketballs listed were only $3 each...

PM

CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Not for me. But then again, I usually have to have the pretty nurses do it over again.

And then someone has to take it again because your BP went up when the pretty nurse walked in the room.

rjquillin

ThunderThighs wrote:PM

TT you are awesome, please don't suffer the fate of Inky!

CT

mommadeb1

ThunderThighs wrote:PM

replied

rjquillin

Your reaction to the price on a bottle of wine or another product is partly a response to how powerful you feel, according to a new study in the Journal of Consumer Research.
MORE

CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:TT you are awesome, please don't suffer the fate of Inky!

The fate? She left of her own free will. They'll probably have to pry the keyboard from my cold dead hands.

PS: but I will be on vacation Thu-Mon to take son to school.

Cesare

quality posts: 1560 Private Messages Cesare
rjquillin wrote:Your reaction to the price on a bottle of wine or another product is partly a response to how powerful you feel, according to a new study in the Journal of Consumer Research.
MORE

The top 10 most expensive wines
Mostly Burgundies

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

mommadeb1

ThunderThighs wrote:The fate? She left of her own free will. They'll probably have to pry the keyboard from my cold dead hands.

PS: but I will be on vacation Thu-Mon to take son to school.

we will miss you!! Safe travels!!

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 15 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
ThunderThighs wrote:...PS: but I will be on vacation Thu-Mon to take son to school.

Wishing you safe travels.

If you get a chance, take him to dinner at Garibaldi's. Their Crispy Scored Flounder with shallot apricot glaze is heaven on a plate.

bhodilee

pseudogourmet98 wrote:heaven on a plate.

This phrase is reserved exclusively for biscuits and gravy. Please insert a quarter and try again.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

MarkDaSpark

Prayers to all on this day.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs

Staff

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Wishing you safe travels.

If you get a chance, take him to dinner at Garibaldi's. Their Crispy Scored Flounder with shallot apricot glaze is heaven on a plate.

I shall look this up. Thanks!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ThunderThighs wrote:And then someone has to take it again because your BP went up when the pretty nurse walked in the room.

You are awesome.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

ThunderThighs wrote:PS: but I will be on vacation Thu-Mon to take son to school.

Nooooo, who's going to keep Sparky in check?

Oh wait. Me. With a club

cheron98

Is there anyone in or near the Central Jersey area who is in need of a mostly-new, gently-used full size bed? I bought it about a year before moving to Michigan (it didn't go with me) and it has only been used during the visits back home since then. It's been in the garage since March since my newer bed replaced it, which did not go with us to HAK's place.

Just kind of want to get it out of my parents' garage, and I'd rather see it go to someone who could use it than to just put it on the curb and let the garbage men take it away. It's a nice bed.

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:Nooooo, who's going to keep Sparky in check?

Oh wait. Me. With a club

Like you've ever been able to keep me in check!

Besides, you lease the club from me.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I hope this didnt come off as too rude, but really it beat $500 wine? Really? There are so few wines in that price range.

bcanihan wrote:Due to our dry-farming and Certified Organic vineyard, our yields are less than 2 tons per acre, as compared with conventionally farmed Syrah that can yield 5-6 tons per acre. At a blind tasting of the San Francisco Vintners Club, the group chose Exuberance over well-recognized producers from Napa & France that had price tags of $150-$500. We were thrilled.

What $500 Syrah did this beat? What $500 Syrah exists? $150 is alone exceptionally steep for Syrah, although I am familiar with some Cornas that retails in the $100 range so I'm sure there are Syrahs in the $150 range, albeit very few. The $500 mark sounds unbelievable, to be honest (although that doesn't mean it isn't true).

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Also, getting on an airplane with Em and SWMBO in 3 hours. I am freaking the f*** out.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

kylemittskus wrote:I hope this didnt come off as too rude, but really it beat $500 wine? Really? There are so few wines in that price range.

It wasn't bad. And it might just have been the range for the wines. There might not have been any Syrahs at $500, but maybe at $150 or $200.

Worth its weight in gold? / Why some people happily pay $500 for a bottle of wine

2002 Lewis Cellars Cuvee L Napa Valley Syrah ($175)
Lewis' superb "regular" Napa Valley Syrah is spectacular, one of The Chronicle's 10 favorite wines in 2005. This cuvee, or blend, of the best lots of Syrah climbs to a higher rung on the ladder in character and consumer demand.

Edit: Or there's these SQN's ...

2006 Sine Qua Non Raven Syrah -- $465.00
2007 Sine Qua Non Labels Syrah -- $500.00
2008 Cayuse Amanda Vineyard Syrah -- $300.00
2008 Cayuse En Cerise Vineyard Syrah -- $385.00
2010 Saxum Paderwski Vineyard -- $310.00

Found the 2007 SQN Labels around $300 at K&L and Wine.Com, but they are both sold out. The site I found had it for the price above.

And also found a SQN Dangerous Birds Syrah starting (starting!) at $525 on Wine-Searcher.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:I hope this didnt come off as too rude, but really it beat $500 wine? Really? There are so few wines in that price range.

Those of us who know you understand the question He did come back and post a list, one of which was a $500 bottle of CdP.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
kylemittskus wrote:Also, getting on an airplane with Em and SWMBO in 3 hours. I am freaking the f*** out.

Drugs. Drugs are good for you.

Itwdswafo

quality posts: 7 Private Messages Itwdswafo
bhodilee wrote:This phrase is reserved exclusively for biscuits and gravy. Please insert a quarter and try again.

Amen.... And I can't find anywhere (or anywhere decent) that has it in the northeast. WHY!?

cheron98

Itwdswafo wrote:Amen.... And I can't find anywhere (or anywhere decent) that has it in the northeast. WHY!?

Cracker Barrel isn't awful. I rather like their biscuits and gravy, actually...

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:Cracker Barrel isn't awful. I rather like their biscuits and gravy, actually...

Lemonade and hash brown casserole.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
coynedj wrote:I just (finally) talked to my daughter, who spent two weeks in the Munich area just a few months ago. She's 22, so it's not directly comparable, but she said that if you know a little of the language (and his friend's Mom will certainly help there), Germany is a very easy country for an American to get around in. It sounds like an excellent opportunity for him - the kind I wish I had had when I was his age! Like others have said, if you trust the family and keep in touch with him daily, it could well be a wonderful trip for him.

Thanks for the insights, everyone. My son speaks pretty good German, so he'll survive.

Unfortunately, SWMBO decided he can't go, as it will overlap with the date her younger sister is getting married, and he'll get to go in another couple years, anyway...I don't think it'll be the end of the world if he misses the wedding, as none of us are really looking forward to it (a real long story). So, do you think it would be a big deal if he missed the wedding? He's 12. I'd appreciate any insight into this little curve ball.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

Itwdswafo wrote:Amen.... And I can't find anywhere (or anywhere decent) that has it in the northeast. WHY!?

You answered your own question. My favorite place closed, I was pissed. Seriously, pissed.

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Thanks for the insights, everyone. My son speaks pretty good German, so he'll survive.

Unfortunately, SWMBO decided he can't go, as it will overlap with the date her younger sister is getting married, and he'll get to go in another couple years, anyway...I don't think it'll be the end of the world if he misses the wedding, as none of us are really looking forward to it (a real long story). So, do you think it would be a big deal if he missed the wedding? He's 12. I'd appreciate any insight into this little curve ball.

Yes. It's a family milestone. Family is more important than the trip, especially if he will get a chance to go when he's a little bit older.

bhodilee

otolith wrote:Thanks for the insights, everyone. My son speaks pretty good German, so he'll survive.

His attendance will not be noticed at what is apparently a farce anyway. Mom rules this one though, and this may come down from grandma.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Yes. It's a family milestone. Family is more important than the trip, especially if he will get a chance to go when he's a little bit older.

So will he need to go to the divorce proceedings also?

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
bhodilee wrote:This phrase is reserved exclusively for biscuits and gravy. Please insert a quarter and try again.

I must have had BnG 5 out of the 7 days we were in the Black Hills. One of the best foods ever.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir