cortot20

quality posts: 163 Private Messages cortot20

I really want to pull the trigger but its just out of my per bottle range. Are you distributed at all?

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

2006 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Vineyard

Punched straight through the small wax dot on top. PnP. Great clarity, dark violet in color. Nose is initially hot, but seems to be easing after just minutes in the glass. Very tight, but picking up dark brooding red fruit, think plum and dark cherry. There is a hint of something there... maybe clove spice or white pepper, that may make itself more apparent in time.
Palate is quite juicy! A little heat (again PnP) but this is velvety smooth. Sweet tannin and acid intermingle on the back of the palate resulting in a medium plus finish that is very enjoyable. This really needs some time to open up, but I might have to be back at work in a matter of a few hours, so I don't have a ton of window to work with.

Will check in after we have it with homemade turkey burger deliciousness.

Quick summary so far: well built, great acid, nice dark fruit. I am probably in on this despite trying to restrain myself.

slakes35

quality posts: 0 Private Messages slakes35

Yes, I'm afraid too. What's a girl to do?

srwatters wrote:Holding the '05 so I really want some of this Syrah, but still but really concerned about "summer" shipping to North Texas. Taking a real chance that it won't get cooked in our last blast of summer heat wave.

In for two... (crosses fingers, toes, and eyes...

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
neilfindswine wrote:Illinois has been added.

Thanks Neil!!

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
trifecta wrote:2006 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Vineyard

Punched straight through the small wax dot on top. PnP. Great clarity, dark violet in color. Nose is initially hot, but seems to be easing after just minutes in the glass. Very tight, but picking up dark brooding red fruit, think plum and dark cherry. There is a hint of something there... maybe clove spice or white pepper, that may make itself more apparent in time.
Palate is quite juicy! A little heat (again PnP) but this is velvety smooth. Sweet tannin and acid intermingle on the back of the palate resulting in a medium plus finish that is very enjoyable. This really needs some time to open up, but I might have to be back at work in a matter of a few hours, so I don't have a ton of window to work with.

Quick summary so far: well built, great acid, nice dark fruit. I am probably in on this despite trying to restrain myself.

Yea i'm almost embarrassed to say how much wine I bought last month...but Arcadian is a must buy for me

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
trifecta wrote:2006 Arcadian Syrah Purisima Vineyard

Tri. Where are you with this? PM

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

trifecta

cmaldoon wrote:Tri. Where are you with this? PM

too many things going.... FF draft right now, then more notes

cmaldoon

trifecta wrote:too many things going.... FF draft right now, then more notes

So in which round would you draft this Arcadian Purissima Vineyard Syrah? And why?

My Cellar

trifecta

All the heat has blown off. This went amazing with burgers. The acidity really brought out the umami notes. This syrah has a rare mix of bright red fruit and deep dark complex fruit as well. Palate is just getting more lush and velvety as things go. More layers are evolving as this open up, drawing you into the glass. I really wish I could have decanted 3 hours or so before even getting started. I really like this wine.... damn... need more money...

dianatkins

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dianatkins

Thanks for adding Illinois. I popped on to Woot to read some comments after putting my triplets to bed. I was happy to see this resolved. I ordered a pair. Rather a splurge for me but it sounds like a wonderful wine. Again, thanks.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
dianatkins wrote:Thanks for adding Illinois. I popped on to Woot to read some comments after putting my triplets to bed. I was happy to see this resolved. I ordered a pair. Rather a splurge for me but it sounds like a wonderful wine. Again, thanks.

THREAD HIJACK
All of you Illinois people, see Gatherings tab for a get together September 20th.

Back to the Woot and nothing but the woot.

cmaldoon

Damn you Neil, and you too Trifecta! Too good to pass up from all I know and to have my attention drawn to it so often today.

In for 2 sets

My Cellar

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cmaldoon wrote:Damn you Neil, and you too Trifecta! Too good to pass up from all I know and to have my attention drawn to it so often today.

In for 2 sets

Damn the torpedoes. (Tom Petty reference). You'll be glad you bought. This is a special one.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...anyone traveling to the SB area, do yourself a favor and swing through Lompoc and hit the ghetto. If you're lucky enough to catch Joe there, you're in for a treat. Lots of other good wineries there too.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

cmaldoon

neilfindswine wrote:Damn the torpedoes. (Tom Petty reference). You'll be glad you bought. This is a special one.

Yes, hence the end of my 110 day abstinence... For a Syrah... A $30 Syrah. I expect that it is that good. Actually I expect that it is more than that good.

I am not worried.

My Cellar

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

This sounds right up my alley I'm in for two sets, Tri thanks for the great lab notes!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
neilfindswine wrote:Illinois has been added.

That's progress.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Damn, should have read these earlier.
Guess I'll wait for a woot-off.

CT

rtdwine

quality posts: 0 Private Messages rtdwine

So... it looks like I missed a great wine. What are my choices now?

cmaldoon

I bought a couple sets, here are some notes:

2006 Arcadian Syrah. Stolpman Vineyard

Opened approximately 1 hour before notes

Color: a very pretty ruby red. Dark but far from opaque. Not the purplish I am used to from many syrahs.

Nose:
Him: Musty black plum,overcooked asparagus, menthol, and vanilla.
Her:Reasonably fragrant. Primarily cherry compote and cedar sawdust. Perhaps a fishy note but that could be just a jump from cedar to salmon.

Palate:
Him: solid slightly sour cherry, not hugely concentrated but instead with finesse. Some baking spices carry to a coffee note and a longer (15sec finish)
Her:
Claims this is not a Syrah. Feels like a Pinot, silky smooth but not lacking anywhere. Very light body but has a lot of subtle flavors. Lighter red fruits like a Pinot, followed by a Chardonnay butterscotchiness and a peppery finish. An understated wine with all of the pieces.

After 2.5 hours open

Nose:
Him: I agree with her cedar note as opposed to my menthol. All else is the same. This is solid stuff and I'm glad I bought 2 sets

My Cellar