ThunderThighs

quality posts: 562 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Look at all the pretty pictures of stacking planters.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• YOU MUST CONTACT CS. Do not post in the forum for help.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy[/b] ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

taelengirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taelengirl
North316 wrote:And woot has learned, over the years, that after countless refunds issued for products damaged by heat during the summer months, that it is no longer cost-effective to offer such products during these times.

Charcuterie and caramel were in June of this year and pasta and olive oils were in August of last year.

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
taelengirl wrote:True the summer shipping-- BUT when I perused my purchases over the years, within the months of June to August, I've bought pasta, truffle oil, olive oil, caramel creams, charcuterie, grilling butters, truffle butter, balsamic vinegar, and Point Reyes cheese (in June).

These are the offerings I miss.

North316 wrote:And woot has learned, over the years, that after countless refunds issued for products damaged by heat during the summer months, that it is no longer cost-effective to offer such products during these times.

Well, dried pasta doesn't spoil in June, July, or August, let alone September, October, or November, which were "summer shipping" months last year. Nor do properly bottled and sealed oils. (And if they aren't, w.w shouldn't be selling them.) Charcuterie is by definition preserved; no summer issues there, especially if it's shrink-wrapped as w.w's vendor always did. Balsamic vinegar has sat around in a keg in hot weather and cold for years. I don't think summer's an issue for these.

taelengirl

quality posts: 0 Private Messages taelengirl
editorkid wrote:Well, dried pasta doesn't spoil in June, July, or August, let alone September, October, or November, which were "summer shipping" months last year. Nor do properly bottled and sealed oils. (And if they aren't, w.w shouldn't be selling them.) Charcuterie is by definition preserved; no summer issues there, especially if it's shrink-wrapped as w.w's vendor always did. Balsamic vinegar has sat around in a keg in hot weather and cold for years. I don't think summer's an issue for these.

Just trying to make a point that some foods, which are some of the most fun woot purchases for me, can and have been shipped in the summer months. My stupid state won't allow wine shipments...

I didn't want to be involved in some long discussion, just secretly wished my unimportant post might be read by someone woot-related who might decide to offer another edible item soon, that's all.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
editorkid wrote:Well, dried pasta doesn't spoil in June, July, or August, let alone September, October, or November, which were "summer shipping" months last year. Nor do properly bottled and sealed oils. (And if they aren't, w.w shouldn't be selling them.) Charcuterie is by definition preserved; no summer issues there, especially if it's shrink-wrapped as w.w's vendor always did. Balsamic vinegar has sat around in a keg in hot weather and cold for years. I don't think summer's an issue for these.

Okay, as many items as you can name that "could" be offered, I can name some that couldn't. I was trying to give the more simple answer to the question, but there is a myriad of other things to take into account. Vendor restrictions, supply/demand, importing (since you brought up the balsamic), etc.

1) Woot can't always, and won't always be able to secure the same vendors to sell products on here.

2) Said vendors often offer their products here at a discount in order to increase brand/product awareness, and after they do so, aren't willing to sell their products at a discount.

3) What holidays are in the summer? Not many. A lot of vendors are offering their products so that they can be gifted during holiday seasons or taken to holiday gatherings (Thanksgiving, X-Mas, Valentines day, Easter). Last I checked, those holidays were not in the summer.

4) Some vendors cannot afford to offer their products at such discounts multiple times throughout the year. If they did so, people would catch on and not buy from them at normal retail prices, but rather just wait for the flash sales.

I can keep going if you still don't get it...

On your specific items, Oil CAN be damaged by heat, the same way wine can. It has nothing to do with how it is sealed. The Balsamic we get here is imported. It is generally imported once a year, and is done so in time for the holidays. This is why it is typically a holiday sale item. I believe once or twice it has been offered outside of that window, but that was due to customs issues which prevented it from being imported when it was supposed to be. Charcuterie has been around here somewhere. I believe it has actually been offered in plus deals on other sites, most likely home.woot. When things get real popular they don't always stick here on the wine.woot page (ie - the endless offerings of Candy Basket candies which now mostly end up on woot or home.woot.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

editorkid

quality posts: 91 Private Messages editorkid
North316 wrote:I can keep going if you still don't get it...

Actually, I get it just fine. This is the first post I've seen from you that finally chucks the "summer shipping" canard and lists many of the genuine issues behind decisions not to carry certain items. Although you don't have the staff square, you seem to have a lot of behind-the-scenes info, so hopefully the "summer shipping" card can be put away and used just where it's the real factor.

In the meantime, my first post in this thread listed plenty of food products of a reasonably high-end nature that ship fine any time of year, and I'm afraid I'll remain convinced that there are plenty of others that the w.w buyers could find if they wanted to.

macmic6

quality posts: 3 Private Messages macmic6

I was thinking about buying this until I went to the Living Whole Foods site. They are selling these for $13.00 plus shipping. I purchased three sets for $54.00 with shipping. So $54 vs $95. You do the math. Not cool WOOT. You took up the wine woot with non wine stuff and then sell it for way too much.

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
George S. Patton

macmic6

quality posts: 3 Private Messages macmic6
macmic6 wrote:I was thinking about buying this until I went to the Living Whole Foods site. They are selling these for $13.00 plus shipping. I purchased three sets for $54.00 with shipping. So $54 vs $95. You do the math. Not cool WOOT. You took up the wine woot with non wine stuff and then sell it for way too much.

PS
http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/garden_stackable.htm

Courage is fear holding on a minute longer.
George S. Patton

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Ummmm...they are shipping us wine during the summer. (Actually not to me, I don't have any wine shipped during the summer from anyone, no matter the guarantee)..So why not cheese?

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
ThunderThighs wrote:This is food related. It's DIY food:

Includes plenty of seeds:

@_@ - *rolls his eyes*

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
macmic6 wrote:PS
http://www.wheatgrasskits.com/garden_stackable.htm

that's a different item and it is $34.95 ... wrong link?