klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
johanvineyards wrote:I completely understand. Thank you for your time and consideration. Maybe someday I will have something older to offer on woot. In the meantime keep drinking.

Cheers,

Dan

Personally, I'm hoping rjquillen or tytiger58 will share a bottle with me. They're both close by - and I most certainly do want to try your wine, and given your participation and forthrightness here today I also want to support you and your efforts.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
johanvineyards wrote:Skulls, crystals, and horsetail teas

This is the very first time I've ever heard anything remotely resembling a scientific hypothesis regarding biodynamics. Bravo, sir.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Dan, you are earning your keep today my friend. Thanks for the full fledged engagement. Bravo.

johanvineyards

quality posts: 5 Private Messages johanvineyards
klezman wrote:I think you've gained some fans with that response. Even Kyle might agree with you on this one

Also, the pH vs TA explanation was excellent. Basically pH = -log(H+) while TA takes into account all the acid species and their individual pKa values for each proton (of multi-protic acids). How they affect wine perception is also an interesting topic, and I've heard opinions on both sides that pH and TA are the primary source of what we call "acidity" in wine perception.

In my experience pH has more to do with texture and freshness of fruit flavors. Higher pH wines come across as more viscous, rounder, and low pH wines leaner and more linear with less peripheral weight. For me TA affects taste by simply making the wine more acidic, refreshing, activating my acid sensory on the back and sides of my tongue which seems to enhance length of flavor in wine. This is how it works for my palate. It is different for everyone I imagine.

Dan

Daniel J. Rinke
Winemaker
Johan Vineyards

johanvineyards

Winedavid39 wrote:Dan, you are earning your keep today my friend. Thanks for the full fledged engagement. Bravo.

Your welcome this is fun. You guys are cool!

Dan

Daniel J. Rinke
Winemaker
Johan Vineyards

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
johanvineyards wrote:Hello Wooters,
My name is Dan Rinke. I am the Winemaker for Johan Vineyards in Rickreall, Oregon. This is my first time offering wines on Woot and I am excited to meet everyone. I have dedicated my day to get to know each of you and answer any questions you may have so please reach out to me. We farm and produce our wines using Biodynamic methods and are proud participants of the natural wine movement spreading across the world. We are known in Oregon for producing authentic, polarizing wines that are fun to debate and discuss with fellow wine aficionados. I will be logging on at 7:30AM PST and look forward to getting my wine geek on!

Cheers,
Dan

Welcome Dan!
Nice to see such great participation!!!.... unfortunately, Pinot is not one of my favorite wines.

rjquillin

quality posts: 168 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Personally, I'm hoping rjquillen or tytiger58 will share a bottle with me. They're both close by - and I most certainly do want to try your wine, and given your participation and forthrightness here today I also want to support you and your efforts.

tytiger has already extended the invite, and pending a visa, may even come down. Wonder if we can find cmaldoon as well?

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:This is the very first time I've ever heard anything remotely resembling a scientific hypothesis regarding biodynamics. Bravo, sir.

+1

rjquillin

johanvineyards wrote:Your welcome this is fun. You guys are cool!

Dan

I've got to +1 kelzman's comment on the bio-d, and the pH/TA exchange was enlightening as well. Absolutely appreciate your involvement today.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Winedavid39 wrote:Dan, you are earning your keep today my friend. Thanks for the full fledged engagement. Bravo.

+1. Not that I have room for this, either in the cellar or the wallet, with 2 weeks in Europe left, plus the trip to California next month, but this kind of participation can't go unrewarded. Pinot is not particularly our favorite, but I can't resist taking a chance. A few years from now, when this is ready, we'll be toasting a graduation from Clemson for someone's daughter.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

johanvineyards

ddeuddeg wrote:+1. Not that I have room for this, either in the cellar or the wallet, with 2 weeks in Europe left, plus the trip to California next month, but this kind of participation can't go unrewarded. Pinot is not particularly our favorite, but I can't resist taking a chance. A few years from now, when this is ready, we'll be toasting a graduation from Clemson for someone's daughter.

Thank you for the support everyone.

Best,

Dan

Daniel J. Rinke
Winemaker
Johan Vineyards

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:Personally, I'm hoping rjquillen or tytiger58 will share a bottle with me. They're both close by - and I most certainly do want to try your wine, and given your participation and forthrightness here today I also want to support you and your efforts.

As Ron mentioned the invite is always open...I like to drink my wine!

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
johanvineyards wrote:Thank you for the support everyone.

+1
you caught the curve balls we threw you and played them well

andreaserben

Now - I only noticed that it is the July "Woot Off" just now - what does that say about me?

andreaserben

... and just in case somebody did not notice the update to my tasting notes - the wine developed more tart/perceived acidity several hours after opening/in the glass.

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

Good discussion today. I'm sad I missed it and didn't get to jump in. Stupid work filters keeping me off wine.woot and sinus infection making me feel like crap so I fall asleep before the offers role nightly.

Where's Kyle? Did they put him on probation in advance of the bioD offer? ;)

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:Good discussion today. I'm sad I missed it and didn't get to jump in. Stupid work filters keeping me off wine.woot and sinus infection making me feel like crap so I fall asleep before the offers role nightly.

Where's Kyle? Did they put him on probation in advance of the bioD offer? ;)

Must be either that or he forgot to pay the bill for his ISP.

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...sorry guys, late today. Just getting in front of a computer.

Lets start from the beginning. What's the story with the pH?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
neilfindswine wrote:...sorry guys, late today. Just getting in front of a computer.

cortot20

neilfindswine wrote:...sorry guys, late today. Just getting in front of a computer.

Well the ph has been low in my pool for a while now I couldn't figure it out. Turns out the chlorine tabs I used had a low ph base so they were constantly lowering it. I add soda ash the tabs lower the ph. And then I bought different chlorine and magically problem solved. That's what you wanted to know ................. Right?

CT

neilfindswine

quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

cortot20 wrote:Well the ph has been low in my pool for a while now I couldn't figure it out. Turns out the chlorine tabs I used had a low ph base so they were constantly lowering it. I add soda ash the tabs lower the ph. And then I bought different chlorine and magically problem solved. That's what you wanted to know ................. Right?

Precisely. The different (and correct) chlorine purchased from chlorine.woot.com I presume?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
cortot20 wrote:Well the ph has been low in my pool for a while now I couldn't figure it out. Turns out the chlorine tabs I used had a low ph base so they were constantly lowering it. I add soda ash the tabs lower the ph. And then I bought different chlorine and magically problem solved. That's what you wanted to know ................. Right?

I pee in your pool when you're not looking

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

cortot20

bhodilee wrote:I pee in your pool when you're not looking

GDit Bowtie, now I'm going to have to put that stuff that turns blue with piss in the pool.

CT