MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:Crap, you remembered. It was my first vacation where I didn't also work the midnight rollovers. Heh.

We ALL remembered! Plus, someone seemed to brag about where they went.

Edit: OTOHsy!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Most HR laws in California seem to be different than laws in all the other states. Every HR seminar I participate in usually has separate sections for CA or has to * everything with a disclaimer that it does not apply in CA.

Not just HR laws, but that's something that belongs in the Poli-Ticks thread.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
cmaldoon wrote:Enjoy Catalina!

I have 360+ vacation hours on the books and need to find time to use them!

They let you bank that much?!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:SWMBO gets 22 days/year and they never expire. She can't cash them out, though, either.

I was pretty sure the law in our fair state required employers to pay out unused vacation time when the employee leaves the company. At least that's what our GC said. Regardless, I'll let that remain our policy

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Bored Meeting. I have a rumbly in my tummy.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:They let you bank that much?!

I think we covered that already.

MarkDaSpark

klezman wrote:I was pretty sure the law in our fair state required employers to pay out unused vacation time when the employee leaves the company. At least that's what our GC said. Regardless, I'll let that remain our policy

I think someone mentioned that their company recently switched to a PTO (Personal Time Off) pool. So that may be how some companies are trying to get around paying out for accumulated "vacation" time.

And I forget if it was my son (when he was at Best Buy) or someone else who had mentioned that their company was lumping Holidays, Sick Days, and Vacation Days together into a PTO pool which would expire at the end of each year.

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

My company provides 160 hours of PTO a year but makes you jump through some serious hoops to even think about using PTI. Caps at 320 hours. I'm at 240 which is down from 280 after I went to Hawaii.
I find it difficult to carve out time (and money) for vacation

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

My company give me 25 days a year and I can accrue and hold up to 50 days/400hrs without ever losing it..not to mention 3 floating holidays and 15 sick days per year. With all of that I can't keep up so I almost always have around 50 days vac plus sick time available

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:You just had yours, and we missed you so much we wrote to management and told them to cancel all future vacations for you.

Arrrrrrhhhhhhhh. Curses.

FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
cortot20 wrote:
I find it difficult to carve out time (and money) for vacation

With the week between Christmas and New Years always a paid holiday I have difficulty using my 3 weeks too

As for the money part, I realized that long ago and started saving money each week so I can vacation. I am single and childless ATM so I realize that this is a special case.

My biggest issue is that I have 9 weeks and accrue 3 weeks. Fiancé has 0 and accrues 2. I have to find time to vacation by myself or with friends/parents

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Have to chime in. After 25 years, I get 34 days PTO. We can carryover five days. I carried in five, so must take 34. I will likely lose some this year.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

cmaldoon wrote:With the week between Christmas and New Years always a paid holiday I have difficulty using my 3 weeks too

As for the money part, I realized that long ago and started saving money each week so I can vacation. I am single and childless ATM so I realize that this is a special case.

My biggest issue is that I have 9 weeks and accrue 3 weeks. Fiancé has 0 and accrues 2. I have to find time to vacation by myself or with friends/parents

You can always have "Staycations", and not go anywhere. Just veg out, and fix stuff around the house. Prepare the Fiancé a spectacular meal (with the proper wine, decanted).

Or go to museums, etc.

MarkDaSpark

polarbear22 wrote:Have to chime in. After 25 years, I get 34 days PTO. We can carryover five days. I carried in five, so must take 34. I will likely lose some this year.

Well, you should use some for the Wootception!!!

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
cmaldoon wrote:I am single and childless ATM so I realize that this is a special case.

You're fixing the first part. Gonna work on that second part?

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cmaldoon

JOATMON wrote:You're fixing the first part. Gonna work on that second part?

All in good time. Though my clock has had a few extra years to advance.

Oh, BTW I have a bottle of parcel 17 for you care of Klez

My Cellar

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Well, you should use some for the Wootception!!!

I agree!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

I get 4 or 5 wks of vacation. Not that it matters, since if I don't work, I don't get paid.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
cmaldoon wrote:I have to find time to vacation by myself

The stuff dreams are made of...solitude and quiet, what a wonderful thing.

cmaldoon

chemvictim wrote:The stuff dreams are made of...solitude and quiet, what a wonderful thing.

Ummmmm. Yeah..... That's at least 3, usually 4 nights a week. I crave sights and foods, or at least some good hard physical labor. (I don't pull weeds and my labor isn't cheap so don't get any silly ideas folks!)

My Cellar

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:I think someone mentioned that their company recently switched to a PTO (Personal Time Off) pool. So that may be how some companies are trying to get around paying out for accumulated "vacation" time.

And I forget if it was my son (when he was at Best Buy) or someone else who had mentioned that their company was lumping Holidays, Sick Days, and Vacation Days together into a PTO pool which would expire at the end of each year.

Yeah, both my companies have been on a PTO system, and I currently get 4 weeks. That sounds great until I hear of several friends with 4 weeks actual vacation plus 2 more weeks sick days.

chemvictim

cmaldoon wrote:Ummmmm. Yeah..... That's at least 3, usually 4 nights a week. I crave sights and foods, or at least some good hard physical labor. (I don't pull weeds and my labor isn't cheap so don't get any silly ideas folks!)

Pulling weeds can be very therapeutic. Those weeds are mine, dammit! Get your own.

cmaldoon

klezman wrote:Yeah, both my companies have been on a PTO system, and I currently get 4 weeks. That sounds great until I hear of several friends with 4 weeks actual vacation plus 2 more weeks sick days.

oddly enough, my company doesn't have an accrual of sick days. You use them if you need them and your boss keeps tabs. No limit though. Not that it matters, I use 1-2 days a year.

My Cellar

cmaldoon

chemvictim wrote:Pulling weeds can be very therapeutic. Those weeds are mine, dammit! Get your own.

I hate weeding. You can keep them. Perhaps I can start digging a wine cellar under that corner of your house though... I get part of the space though.

My Cellar

klezman

cmaldoon wrote:oddly enough, my company doesn't have an accrual of sick days. You use them if you need them and your boss keeps tabs. No limit though. Not that it matters, I use 1-2 days a year.

That, to me, is a totally sensible policy. Encourages responsible use.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

So first victim of new job to allow more PTO freedom- cancel PTO scheduled for end of month.

Anything going on in the bay area Aug 3rd/4th?

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

These air conditioners on Home Woot. Anyone have experience? For whatever reason it gets hot as Hades in my bedroom. Just my bedroom though, not my daughters which is also upstairs and 10 feet down the hall. Probably because of my radiant awesome, I dunno. Anyway, I was thinking of a traditional window unit, but don't want to screw it into the window cause I just had the windows replaced. Do you have to screw the vents for these in or can you just shut the window over top of it? For that matter, on a traditional window unit, do you really need to screw it in or can the window itself hold it in place? If it DID fall out it would fall roughly 8 inches onto the roof (my window opens out onto teh roof because it's a story and a half home and the garage used to be next to my bedroom.) I'm guessing that's why it gets to damn hot in there because of the radiant energy coming off the roof. Any of you thermo engineer types wanna tell me how to prevent that from leaking into my room?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

glad to be home.. spent the last 4 days at the in laws.... had to take daughter to University for her 3 weeks in the Duke TIP program.... it rained the entire time we were there!!! The drive up was horrible due to the monsoon that I had to drive thru!! Yea, and I get do do it again in 3 weeks!! yea me!!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
bhodilee wrote:These air conditioners on Home Woot. Anyone have experience? For whatever reason it gets hot as Hades in my bedroom. Just my bedroom though, not my daughters which is also upstairs and 10 feet down the hall. Probably because of my radiant awesome, I dunno. Anyway, I was thinking of a traditional window unit, but don't want to screw it into the window cause I just had the windows replaced. Do you have to screw the vents for these in or can you just shut the window over top of it? For that matter, on a traditional window unit, do you really need to screw it in or can the window itself hold it in place? If it DID fall out it would fall roughly 8 inches onto the roof (my window opens out onto teh roof because it's a story and a half home and the garage used to be next to my bedroom.) I'm guessing that's why it gets to damn hot in there because of the radiant energy coming off the roof. Any of you thermo engineer types wanna tell me how to prevent that from leaking into my room?

Duct tape or similar would easily seal the vent on the Sharp.

chemvictim

bhodilee wrote:These air conditioners on Home Woot. Anyone have experience? For whatever reason it gets hot as Hades in my bedroom. Just my bedroom though, not my daughters which is also upstairs and 10 feet down the hall. Probably because of my radiant awesome, I dunno. Anyway, I was thinking of a traditional window unit, but don't want to screw it into the window cause I just had the windows replaced. Do you have to screw the vents for these in or can you just shut the window over top of it? For that matter, on a traditional window unit, do you really need to screw it in or can the window itself hold it in place? If it DID fall out it would fall roughly 8 inches onto the roof (my window opens out onto teh roof because it's a story and a half home and the garage used to be next to my bedroom.) I'm guessing that's why it gets to damn hot in there because of the radiant energy coming off the roof. Any of you thermo engineer types wanna tell me how to prevent that from leaking into my room?

I put a window unit in my last house (it was hot as hades too). I was renting so I didn't screw anything in. We used some tape on the sides and some small wooden blocks in the space between the top of the raised window and the window frame so it could not move.

lurkey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lurkey

We bought one from Costco. I don't think it works as well as a traditional unit, however, the portability factor is convenient. The vent is adjustable to fit a 'normal' window. The window is closed around the vent to create the seal, so no screwing!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

So...maybe all of this vacation talk had gotten me confused, but I seem to recall a certain someone promising a step-by-step walkthrough (and potentially a kit) for an argon set-up by the end of June. I'm the last person to speak of procrastination or being behind schedule, just wanted to let that someone know that there is still great interest for such a thing by at least one person!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
North316 wrote:So...maybe all of this vacation talk had gotten me confused, but I seem to recall a certain someone promising a step-by-step walkthrough (and potentially a kit) for an argon set-up by the end of June. I'm the last person to speak of procrastination or being behind schedule, just wanted to let that someone know that there is still great interest for such a thing by at least one person!

Oh yes, I vaguely remember this as well.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Oh yes, I vaguely remember this as well.

You seem to vaguely remember lots of things.

But yes, I remember it as well, although being younger, not so vaguely.

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:... I'm guessing that's why it gets to damn hot in there because of the radiant energy coming off the roof. Any of you thermo engineer types wanna tell me how to prevent that from leaking into my room?

Mylar screen on the outside of the window. Assuming it's not just seeping in through the walls.

joelsisk

North316 wrote:So...maybe all of this vacation talk had gotten me confused, but I seem to recall a certain someone promising a step-by-step walkthrough (and potentially a kit) for an argon set-up by the end of June. I'm the last person to speak of procrastination or being behind schedule, just wanted to let that someone know that there is still great interest for such a thing by at least one person!

You mean the original post wasn't enough info for you? There's even a pic a few posts down...

or this one

joelsisk

joelsisk wrote:You mean the original post wasn't enough info for you? There's even a pic a few posts down...

or this one

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
joelsisk wrote:Mylar screen on the outside of the window. Assuming it's not just seeping in through the walls.

I'm kinda thinking it is seeping in through the walls. I suppose I could rip em out and go with heavy duty insulation (could probably use it anyway, house is 50 years old now).

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Ah, good old PTO. I get 4 weeks of PTO, but it accumulates through the year - if perchance I would take more than my accumulated time and left the company, my last paycheck would be docked for the time I "owed".

Sick days, personal days (for those who still get those), and vacation all go against PTO. So when I took a week off after surgery last year, that meant I got a week less vacation time. Thank goodness I haven't had any illness in almost 20 years - a day off for the flu means a day less vacation time.

I can carry one year's worth forward, after that I lose the days.

At least in my industry, this PTO regime is standard. No one gets sick days any more.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
coynedj wrote:Ah, good old PTO. I get 4 weeks of PTO, but it accumulates through the year - if perchance I would take more than my accumulated time and left the company, my last paycheck would be docked for the time I "owed".

Sick days, personal days (for those who still get those), and vacation all go against PTO. So when I took a week off after surgery last year, that meant I got a week less vacation time. Thank goodness I haven't had any illness in almost 20 years - a day off for the flu means a day less vacation time.

I can carry one year's worth forward, after that I lose the days.

At least in my industry, this PTO regime is standard. No one gets sick days any more.

My wife's PTO/Sick time policy seems like something that would have been thought up in California.

She earns PTO per hour worked (not really sure of the rate or what it adds up to for a year) and also earns sick time at a fairly decent rate, but here is the kicker... I believe she can use the sick time for a planned doctor visit/surgery/etc, but if she actually gets sick and needs to take a day off of work, the first day comes out of her PTO time, and any subsequent day can then come out of sick time, AND on top of that it counts as an unscheduled absence, even if you provide a doctors note. Two unscheduled absences and they get put on a probationary period.

It's pretty dumb because if you are really sick you get punished for it (have to use PTO and get an unscheduled absence) and whether you are sick or not, they are basically encouraged to take extra days at that point because it is the only way to take advantage of the actual sick days, and they might as well because they already took the hit to PTO and their record.

Largest employer in our city, you would think their policy would emplore a little more common sense.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013