almesawinery

quality posts: 3 Private Messages almesawinery
kylemittskus wrote:The more info you can give us, the better. Most of us are wine nerds. We love numbers, stats, and inside info. I'm a huge Paso fan and don't mind the high alc. at all. Sparky (one of the board members) is interested in your port-styled Syrah.

Kyle
The 08 vintage stayed on the vine a little longer than the 07 vintage, which pushed the brix to 26 when harvested compared to the 24 brix of the 07 harvest. Both harvests yielded small tight clustered berries. The 07 vintage produced 3 tons per acre and the 08 vintage produced 2.5 tons per acre. The oak barrels used for the 08 vintage were a little more neutral than the 07 vintage.

2008 Syrah
Produced: 480 cases
pH: 3.9
TA: .74
Alcohol: 15.1%
2007 Syrah
Produced: 447 cases
pH: 3.7
TA: .75
Alcohol: 14%

Whenever one of the board members is in the Paso Robles area please let me know and I would love to give you a tour of our vineyard and a taste of our iago, (port-style syrah).
Thanks
Kim

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

MarkDaSpark wrote:WD,

Perhaps it's time to get some more De Long's stuff up on Wine.Woot?

People were admiring my De Long's Wine Tasting Notebook that I got from one of their offers here (a long time ago!).

noted. and Kim form Almesa, thanks for hanging in there.

almesawinery

quality posts: 3 Private Messages almesawinery
klezman wrote:Hi Kim,
I should clarify that the bunch of us were trying to figure out why this wine would have tasted that way. Surprising that none of us thought of it being a bad bottle, probably because it still had fruit and some personality rather than being dull or dead. Anyway, that doesn't matter - based on the bitterness (which, in moderation, I quite like) and tannic quality I made a highly scientific WAG (that's wild-ass-guess to you non-engineers) that perhaps it was stem tannin that could have been due to overzealous whole-cluster fermentation/pressing. I'm glad that the consensus appears to be it was a bad bottle, espcially given trifecta's notes. I'm also sorry I didn't take better notes - my trip down I-10 that day was frustratingly long and I just wanted a drink

Regardless, thanks for coming by and helping us clear up this issue.

Klezman
I have been very fortunate because I have heard of very few bad bottles of our wine, (mostly cork related). Unfortunately your group had to get a bad one. I needed a drink too after reading the first few comments today.
Kim

jmdavidson

quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson

Anyone in Chicago want to split an order? PM me.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
almesawinery wrote:Klezman
I have been very fortunate because I have heard of very few bad bottles of our wine, (mostly cork related). Unfortunately your group had to get a bad one. I needed a drink too after reading the first few comments today.
Kim

Ever consider screw caps? I'd say most here are in favor. I like getting a corked wine about as much as you like getting one back. Just a pain all around.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

almesa

quality posts: 0 Private Messages almesa
ERMD wrote:So , is the fruit sourced from the vineyard next to hunters ranch golf course?
East side Paso?

Hello Wooters! Yes the Hovannisian Family Vineyard is located next to Hunter Ranch golf course in paso robles. We are a no spray no pesticide vineyard. The only sulfite added to the wine is at the winery. We are going
through a brutal heat wave in paso robles, but the vineyard looks great.
Thank you for welcoming us to the Woot family.
Hovannisian Family

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
almesawinery wrote:Klezman
Kim

I've been tied up all day, and just got around to reading all of the notes on today's offer. Thanks for staying with us. As you can tell, this is a group that is very passionate about wine. My wife and I have been enjoying a lot of Syrah lately, but none from Paso. Maybe we should correct that.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
Winedavid39 wrote:noted. and Kim form Almesa, thanks for hanging in there.

I second the Delong's, I've been asking for these to come back up for two years now.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
North316 wrote:I second the Delong's, I've been asking for these to come back up for two years now.

likewise, and how about some invino's on Thursday.

CT