MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
mommadeb1 wrote:wow...is he ok?

Depends on the 5 figures. And if his wife found out.

Edit: Me!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Some dipshits broke into my MIL's house last night. Stole her laptop, only to leave it on the side of the road next to the neighbor's car that they also stole, only to let it get rained on all night. Took her cellphone, too, as well as my SIL's ipod and papers that are now ruined.

Mother f'ers.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
otolith wrote:Some dipshits broke into my MIL's house last night. Stole her laptop, only to leave it on the side of the road next to the neighbor's car that they also stole, only to let it get rained on all night. Took her cellphone, too, as well as my SIL's ipod and papers that are now ruined.

Mother f'ers.

Oh noes! Were your MIL & SIL home when the house got broken into? Are they alright?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
otolith wrote:Some dipshits broke into my MIL's house last night. Stole her laptop, only to leave it on the side of the road next to the neighbor's car that they also stole, only to let it get rained on all night. Took her cellphone, too, as well as my SIL's ipod and papers that are now ruined.

Mother f'ers.

I've heard you can put electronic devices into uncooked rice, and they will suck out the moisture. Might work on the laptop too, as long as you pull the battery (and didn't try to turn it on).

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1

Mother f'ers.

Where's Ted Healy?? everyone ok? sounds like kids out for "fun"

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead

Mother f'ers.

Bummer. Sorry. That really ruins the day.

Yeah +1 for the rice trick working well.

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
kylemittskus wrote:I can buy a spot on the SQN mailing list for $10k. Should I pull the trigger?

Steep? and then you have to buy the wine!

that said, I'm in the line to be on the mailing list. Maybe someday.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question. If not I apologize in advance for the hijack...

In the "today's wine" thread WD has hinted (at least twice within the last week) at a change/increase in shipping policy/price. Anyone here have any insight as to what changes might be on the horizon?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Not sure if this is the right thread for this question. If not I apologize in advance for the hijack...

In the "today's wine" thread WD has hinted (at least twice within the last week) at a change/increase in shipping policy/price. Anyone here have any insight as to what changes might be on the horizon?

They do summer shipping, which is special treatment to keep the wine cool in the hot weather. Cost goes up by 40% to $7. And then it comes back down in the fall. The extra $2 to try to ensure the wine is in good shape when received is well worth it in my opinion.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:They do summer shipping, which is special treatment to keep the wine cool in the hot weather. Cost goes up by 40% to $7. And then it comes back down in the fall. The extra $2 to try to ensure the wine is in good shape when received is well worth it in my opinion.

I'd happily pay double if it meant two or next day air. I wonder how difficult it would be to set up a trial where at checkout you're given the option of shipping speed for an upgraded price (you know, like every other retail site on earth). You could run it over the summer and just gauge if it's something that's worth implementing full time. I bet the number of people willing to pay 5 or ten more for upgraded shipping would be surprising. I don't care how long other stuff takes to get to me, but perishable type goods, those worry me.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

Mother f'ers.

Sometimes I wish we lived in a Robocop world where there were lethal home defenses. Oh, you tried to break into my house but the door didn't recognize you ZAP! Crispy fried Why I oughta...er!

Also, thinking of Robocop makes me miss SuperSpryte.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bhodilee

Also, for you home builders, remodelers, people who have been there before...

Hardwood, Engineered wood or Laminate for the kitchen/dining room? Laminate is cheapest, but sometimes I can score Hardwood on the cheap too. Engineered Hardwood is almost, but not quiet as inexpensive as laminate. I'm leaning Laminate because it's a cheaper product, cheaper to install, and I'm not living in this house forever.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:Also, for you home builders, remodelers, people who have been there before...

Hardwood, Engineered wood or Laminate for the kitchen/dining room? Laminate is cheapest, but sometimes I can score Hardwood on the cheap too. Engineered Hardwood is almost, but not quiet as inexpensive as laminate. I'm leaning Laminate because it's a cheaper product, cheaper to install, and I'm not living in this house forever.

I have laminate in my house, although not in the kitchen. It's basically cardboard with a finish. It's not very water-friendly. I considered engineered hardwood for the kitchen in the new house but I was worried about water with that too. My friend told me his dog peed on their engineered hardwood and it warped.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:I'm not living in this house forever.

Based on that sentence alone, I would say your answer depends on the housing market there. Generally, hardwood is worth it for resale value alone, but only if your market can bear that price increase.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Based on that sentence alone, I would say your answer depends on the housing market there. Generally, hardwood is worth it for resale value alone, but only if your market can bear that price increase.

I doubt it highly. There's hardwood under most of hte rest of the house, just not the dining room/kitchen. Otherwise the upstairs and main floor are all red oak.

North316

Excited to find out what I got in my Besser or Curly when I get home today. Unfortunately based on the tracking info the box is only 23x12x12 and 10lb, so no TV in it.

My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
polarbear22 wrote:They do summer shipping, which is special treatment to keep the wine cool in the hot weather. Cost goes up by 40% to $7. And then it comes back down in the fall. The extra $2 to try to ensure the wine is in good shape when received is well worth it in my opinion.

I'm wondering if WD/WCC may begin to offer summer storage and ship in fall. We've mentioned it before here, and with the delay in announcement of what is generally just a normal thing that happens during summer (styro), I'm hoping...

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
bhodilee wrote:Also, for you home builders, remodelers, people who have been there before...

Did thick laminated hardwood 23 years ago in our DR. Just can't quite bring myself to put wood on the floor in a room where spills and water on the floor is the norm.

CT

mommadeb1

rjquillin wrote:I'm wondering if WD/WCC may begin to offer summer storage and ship in fall. We've mentioned it before here, and with the delay in announcement of what is generally just a normal thing that happens during summer (styro), I'm hoping...

a couple of the other wine sites do this and I utilize it!

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I watched a favorite old movie with the kids last night, A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (set in ancient Rome, for those unfamiliar with it, who should go out and become familiar with it). I thought of this group when Zero Mostel picked up a wine bottle and asks the courtesan next to him "Was 1 a good year?"

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
mommadeb1 wrote:wow...is he ok?

oh yeah, fine. he wasn't sure he even wanted to tell the store originally, but they made him fill out an accident report.

mommadeb1

One More Goof!!!!!!!! kids!!! grrrrr.
daughter had this plan all worked out for her to go to a concert 3 hours away... I have NO desire to go, so she found another friend who's mom would take them. ... of course they waited til this week decide this...concert is tomorrow... daughter got tickets for her and another friend.(paid WAY more than I would).. other friend bought tickets also.other friend deal sounded too good to be true.... found out today it was too good to be true.... now I have a hotel room with no cancellation policy... no parent going into the venue.... so I now have to try and find a cheap ticket for me.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

pseudogourmet98

rjquillin wrote:I'm wondering if WD/WCC may begin to offer summer storage and ship in fall. We've mentioned it before here, and with the delay in announcement of what is generally just a normal thing that happens during summer (styro), I'm hoping...

I was wondering that myself. Although I also did not know about the usual summer styro/$2 upcharge described either (just started buying here in January). As a Floridian, I would appreciate either accomodation for summer.

The delayed shipping does have the additional advantage (at least initially) of not having to justify additional delivered boxes right away... (my husband is currently considering buying stock in FedEX)

But alas, when that day in fall came and they all appeared, I'm sure it would be: "Lucy!! You got some splainin to do!!"

mommadeb1

pseudogourmet98 wrote:I was wondering that myself. Although I also did not know about the usual summer styro/$2 upcharge described either (just started buying here in January). As a Floridian, I would appreciate either accomodation for summer.

The delayed shipping does have the additional advantage (at least initially) of not having to justify additional delivered boxes right away... (my husband is currently considering buying stock in FedEX)

But alas, when that day in fall came and they all appeared, I'm sure it would be: "Lucy!! You got some splainin to do!!"

that happened to me last fall... when box after box kept coming! oh the looks I got!!!

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
pseudogourmet98 wrote:I was wondering that myself. Although I also did not know about the usual summer styro/$2 upcharge described either (just started buying here in January). As a Floridian, I would appreciate either accomodation for summer.

Welcome to the world of wine.woot . Next thing you know you'll be traveling across the country to drink wine with a bunch of random wacky strangers!

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

pseudogourmet98

mommadeb1 wrote:One More Goof!!!!!!!! kids!!! grrrrr.
daughter had this plan all worked out for her to go to a concert 3 hours away... I have NO desire to go, so she found another friend who's mom would take them. ... of course they waited til this week decide this...concert is tomorrow... daughter got tickets for her and another friend.(paid WAY more than I would).. other friend bought tickets also.other friend deal sounded too good to be true.... found out today it was too good to be true.... now I have a hotel room with no cancellation policy... no parent going into the venue.... so I now have to try and find a cheap ticket for me.......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

What does not kill us will make us stronger....

As a parent of a teenager, it is my mantra.

pseudogourmet98

cheron98 wrote:Welcome to the world of wine.woot . Next thing you know you'll be traveling across the country to drink wine with a bunch of random wacky strangers!

Thanks for the welcome. And anyone who enjoys sharing a nice glass of wine is no stranger in my book.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cheron98 wrote:Welcome to the world of wine.woot . Next thing you know you'll be traveling across the country to drink wine with a bunch of random wacky strangers!

And hauling a case or two of wine home with you while you're at it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
pseudogourmet98 wrote:Thanks for the welcome. And anyone who enjoys sharing a nice glass of wine is no stranger in my book.

Roger that. Where are you, and when can we share that glass of wine?

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316

North316 wrote:Excited to find out what I got in my Besser or Curly when I get home today. Unfortunately based on the tracking info the box is only 23x12x12 and 10lb, so no TV in it.

Nothing great but worth the price of admission i guess:

-Talking toy tonka truck
-Disney sunglasses with blinking lights
-xl t-shirt
-electronic and tv screen cleaner
-Welcome to paradise, excentric looking wall art
-Core bamboo 3 cutting board set
-Reusable grocery/carrying bag

I think thats everything

My CT

cheron98

ddeuddeg wrote:Roger that. Where are you, and when can we share that glass of wine?

Pseudo- you will soon learn to love the way this man thinks

cheron98

North316 wrote:Nothing great but worth the price of admission i guess:

-Talking toy tonka truck
-Disney sunglasses with blinking lights
-xl t-shirt
-electronic and tv screen cleaner
-Welcome to paradise, excentric looking wall art
-Core bamboo 3 cutting board set
-Reusable grocery/carrying bag

I think thats everything

Cutting boards. Nice.

pseudogourmet98

ddeuddeg wrote:Roger that. Where are you, and when can we share that glass of wine?

Gainesville, FL. Let me know if you'll be in the home of The Swamp!

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

All of the writing tasks that have been turned in have finally been graded! Yippee! Next, for the stragglers that hopefully will turn theirs in tomorrow. And then, there's the stupid meeting that was FINALLY confirmed late today, that we are expected to attend during the day tomorrow to make up/revamp the Pre-Assessment for September! Our final exam is Monday and, in our building, our department does all of the room scheduling for our students and makes sure that all of the two different answer sheets for our exams are properly divvied up in the envelopes for the proctors, etc. My 8th grade counterpart and I have decided, fine, we'll go. We'll be there at 8 AM and we will leave at 10:30--whether they are done or not. The other middle school isn't even showing up! Plus, we're the ones who do most of the work for the 7th & 8th grade assessments anyway! We'll get the work done, when we can, when we won't be holding up our colleagues who need to move into our rooms, while we pack up all of our stuff to move out! OK, I'm done. Now that I have all of that off my chest, I'm going to go to bed. Thank you for listening.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

North316

cheron98 wrote:Cutting boards. Nice.

Agree. They are cheap, but you can never have too many cutting boards.

That and the electronic cleaner stuff paid for the purchase. The truck and sunglasses will be good gifts for the newphew.

My CT

North316

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Gainesville, FL. Let me know if you'll be in the home of The Swamp!

ddeuddeg is probably already booking his flight.

My CT

bhodilee

North316 wrote:Agree. They are cheap, but you can never have too many cutting boards.

That and the electronic cleaner stuff paid for the purchase. The truck and sunglasses will be good gifts for the newphew.

Whatever, we know you're keeping the truck and glasses for yourself. You don't gotta hide it, we're all immature here!

mommadeb1

cheron98 wrote:Cutting boards. Nice.

I was thinking the same thing!

mommadeb1

bahwm wrote:All of the writing tasks that have been turned in have finally been graded! Yippee! Next, for the stragglers that hopefully will turn theirs in tomorrow. And then, there's the stupid meeting that was FINALLY confirmed late today, that we are expected to attend during the day tomorrow to make up/revamp the Pre-Assessment for September! Our final exam is Monday and, in our building, our department does all of the room scheduling for our students and makes sure that all of the two different answer sheets for our exams are properly divvied up in the envelopes for the proctors, etc. My 8th grade counterpart and I have decided, fine, we'll go. We'll be there at 8 AM and we will leave at 10:30--whether they are done or not. The other middle school isn't even showing up! Plus, we're the ones who do most of the work for the 7th & 8th grade assessments anyway! We'll get the work done, when we can, when we won't be holding up our colleagues who need to move into our rooms, while we pack up all of our stuff to move out! OK, I'm done. Now that I have all of that off my chest, I'm going to go to bed. Thank you for listening.

hang in there!!!

bhodilee

Went looking at Office Furniture with my boss the other day. I got to go because we went to my other job and it only makes sense I go since I know how the place works. We're driving over to the warehouse and the boss is like, I really want a smoker, I tell him hey, we sell those here at my alternate job that I keep cause you don't pay me enough, since we're here, lets look at em. We buzz through and look at Traegers (cause we sell those and Kamado Joe's [bowtie really really wants a Kamado Joe]). Today, he comes over and says, yeah, I really think I'm gonna buy one, is your alternate place of employment the cheapest. Yes, yes it is.

Moral of the story, whenever you think you want something, but you don't have $1000 bucks to randomly drop on it to see if you want it, you convince someone who does have a $1000 random dollars to buy it, then you get to try it. I guarantee I'll be manning that bad boy at the company summer party!