slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Sounds intriguing- would love to try such a "dry" port. Usually Zin ports are sweet but allow the true Zin taste to push through. You people that have purchased, please rat on this and describe your thoughts sometime in the future!!

emmabean2000

quality posts: 6 Private Messages emmabean2000

If this brings me close to the same level of happiness as Four Grapes, I will be pleased. $13 for a bottle of port, even at 375ml is a good deal to me. Perfect for a crisp fall evening!

woottoady

quality posts: 34 Private Messages woottoady

I have no idea what I'm buying, but the SE seems under-represented mapwise, the overall consensus is encouraging, and by my reckoning this is a fine offer.

I'm in.

crankydevon

quality posts: 0 Private Messages crankydevon
alderbrookmanager wrote:I am the tasting room manager at Alderbrook.
You will get most of the characteristics of the zinfandel on the pallet with a desert style twist on the finish.

You're a tasting manager, and you can't spell "palate" as it regards the mouth and taste?

Pallet usually means a blanket to sleep on or a short wooden frame to stack merchandise on for shipping.

Devon

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
crankydevon wrote:You're a tasting manager, and you can't spell "palate" as it regards the mouth and taste?

Pallet usually means a blanket to sleep on or a short wooden frame to stack merchandise on for shipping.

Devon

I'm a pedant, and quite often, an a-hole. And I noticed the misspelling, also, as I'm sure many of us did. All of that said:

Get over it!

But, if you want to be pedantic, you should do it correctly. The palate can't regard something; it's an inanimate object. It's prettty self-defeating to call out someone's misspelling while using poor grammar.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 19 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
kylemittskus wrote:
But, if you want to be pedantic, you should do it correctly. The palate can't regard something; it's an inanimate object. It's prettty self-defeating to call out someone's misspelling while using poor grammar.

+1

pseudogourmet98

After a very long day at a conference I am thrilled to see a Zin Port! Only wish I had a glass of it here at the hotel. ;).

In for one.

rjquillin

quality posts: 183 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:My guess is that these grapes are way over ripe and they managed to get the sugar almost completely converted. It is odd since the addition of brandy usually stops fermentation but also changes the flavor of the wine. I already purchased but am also curious.

Not familiar how "port" is assembled, but isn't the fermentation done first, to convert the sugars, to some level that could be done to "dry", then the brandy added?

CT

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger
kylemittskus wrote:I'm a pedant, and quite often, an a-hole. And I noticed the misspelling, also, as I'm sure many of us did. All of that said:

Get over it!

Agree with all of this, and want to add:

A couple days ago I was one of a few people accused of being "rude and unfriendly" to a rep from a different winery here on woot, because I was discussing discount percentages and perceived value of that day's offer. While I recognize that winery reps might not particularly like it when somebody responds with something other than total agreement or praise, I didn't think that a discussion of pricing and perceived value was crossing the line.

On the other hand, sniping at somebody's spelling, which has nothing at all to do with the offer or the wine, does cross the line into "rude and unfriendly" territory. I thought people appreciated it when winery reps participate in the discussions, providing useful information that (often) only they have access to.

For what it's worth, there is a not-uncommon written word homophone spelling error which happens even to experienced/professional writers who know the differences between the words. It happens occasionally to me when I'm composing a sentence in my head faster than I can type the words out. I think of the correct word, but what flows out of my fingertips after the fact is its homophone.

Or, with autocorrect running on many web browsers and mobile devices, this could simply be a case of the wrong word being picked by an algorithm.

But whatever the reason for the misspelling, it's uncool and uncouth to call derisive attention to it.

kaolis

quality posts: 28 Private Messages kaolis

kylemittskus says:
I'm a pedant, and quite often, an a-hole.

I agree.

pseudogourmet98

moondigger wrote:

For what it's worth, there is a not-uncommon written word homophone spelling error which happens even to experienced/professional writers who know the differences between the words. It happens occasionally to me when I'm composing a sentence in my head faster than I can type the words out. I think of the correct word, but what flows out of my fingertips after the fact is its homophone.

Your right! ;-P

kaolis

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Your right! ;-P

Or is it YOU'RE right...

raylotekka

quality posts: 1 Private Messages raylotekka

Has anyone else noticed that on the winery's site, it says that the Varietal is 100% Zinfandel?
I'm a lil confused ...

pseudogourmet98

kaolis wrote:Or is it YOU'RE right...

It was meant to be sarcastic. Unfortunately the irony was apparently lost...

moondigger

Another wooter who lives not too far away PM'd me with an offer to split, so...

Last wooter to woot:moondigger
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

Thanks, Tiger.

moondigger

pseudogourmet98 wrote:Your right! ;-P

Apropos.

kaolis

pseudogourmet98 wrote:It was meant to be sarcastic. Unfortunately the irony was apparently lost...

Honestly..I thought maybe the case...

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen

Your and you're... have both been changed to "ur".

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Not familiar how "port" is assembled, but isn't the fermentation done first, to convert the sugars, to some level that could be done to "dry", then the brandy added?

I believe the brandy is added to stop fermentation, so my logic followed that why add the brandy if you got the wine to nearly dry? Maybe taste?

CT

cortot20

quality posts: 158 Private Messages cortot20
crankydevon wrote:You're a tasting manager, and you can't spell "palate" as it regards the mouth and taste?

Devon

Auto correct can be a bastard.

CT