loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
sdbcmr wrote:If anyone actually said that older or imported wines are inherently better, it wasn't me. What I said was that this is a non-vintage wine (as most folks were able to understand) flying the banner of a 2012, when it's actually a 2011/2012 blend.

Might be great, who knows?

But $30 a bottle to ship it from Woot's distribution doesn't make sense, when there are lots of actual bargains on trustworthy wines - imported and domestic - at a local store that imports. And you can take it home the same day instead of sending it hopping around in an overheated FedEx truck for a week or so.

This just isn't an attractive deal to me.

Oh ... and I think your smiley face may have had a stroke. Might want to have that checked out.

Oh, wait ... that's supposed to connote wryness.

My bad.

:-)

The banner isn't there on Stillman's side. Woot put it there in the description, but it shouldn't be.

Have you had any SB wines to be able to say that he's not a trustworthy winemaker? He's one of the more trusted winemakers by the wine.woot community, so I find it odd to see his wines described as anything but trustworthy.

That being said, SB's wines are normally at a lower price point. However, I have tried the stuff he's been putting out lately and I think it's better.

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

I have not tried Stillman - yet - but I bought 1+ recently. Haven't opened a bottle yet...

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
moondigger wrote:
I don't like the new system either, but I think the best solution is to go back to a one-price all day shipping fee on woot-off days. Make it $10 instead, if the $5 thing doesn't work. We could decide to pay $5 for a single order (as things are now) OR pay $10 on the first order, unlocking free shipping for subsequent orders until midnight.

There are many better solutions - e.g. Just have them hold the orders internally and bundle up the shipping (until the end of the day, for 24 hours, ...).

kevin0425

quality posts: 1 Private Messages kevin0425

I missed Stillman's PS. If you get a chance to buy a Stillman Brown Red/Black Zeppelin, DO NOT HESITATE! I bought a couple bottles of the Black Zeppelin and it was phenomenal. All my guests that I served it to got "that look" after tasting the first time and everyone wanted to know what it was.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
loveladyelectric wrote:The banner isn't there on Stillman's side. Woot put it there in the description, but it shouldn't be.

Have you had any SB wines to be able to say that he's not a trustworthy winemaker? He's one of the more trusted winemakers by the wine.woot community, so I find it odd to see his wines described as anything but trustworthy.

That being said, SB's wines are normally at a lower price point. However, I have tried the stuff he's been putting out lately and I think it's better.

Thanks for asking, lovelyladyelectric - and yes, I have several of SB's wines in my cellar and have tried two. I was not impressed, but there's no accounting for taste - or my lack of it. The wines weren't bad - just not to my liking - and I won't be buying more.

As for "trustworthiness" - I wish if you must take issue with my opinions on these things, you'd at least try to honestly criticize what I actually said, instead of just making it up as you go.

Just as I did not say earlier that older and imported wines are "inherently better," you also know that I didn't say Stillman Brown is "not a trustworthy winemaker."

I said it is possible to buy more trustworthy wines locally, at a better price point. That is, wines that are not being sold to me (yes, by Woot, but look around - that's where we are) as 2012's when they are non-vintage blends of 2011 and 2012; wines that are not being shipped at the shipper's convenience and by the shipper's preferred means; wines that are difficult to return if they are flawed.

For $30/btl., there are much better deals locally, where I can stop in and buy wine and take it home that day. If, after letting it rest for a few weeks, I open a bottle and it's "off" - I can stroll back in and get a refund. And, probably, more wine.

The provenance of this wine - and the odd winemaking practice of mixing vintages (maybe they had some left over?) - coupled with the price ... it's not a good deal in my opinion.

It's kind of you to leap to SB's defense. But it's peculiar that you're trying so hard to make it look like he's being attacked in the first place.

No matter; Woot pulled it. (Unless you believe it sold out ... I guess maybe it did, but I have doubts) I think the way it sat here and sat here - a "deal" from one of Woot's most beloved vintners ... it sort of proves my point.

sdbcmr

quality posts: 16 Private Messages sdbcmr
kevin0425 wrote: I missed Stillman's PS. If you get a chance to buy a Stillman Brown Red/Black Zeppelin, DO NOT HESITATE! I bought a couple bottles of the Black Zeppelin and it was phenomenal. All my guests that I served it to got "that look" after tasting the first time and everyone wanted to know what it was.

Had the opposite experience here. We drank it, but no one liked it much and opted for another selection for the rest of the evening.

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 138 Private Messages stillmanbrown

See what happens when I don't sign in? The Blizzard of Bi -(rhymes with witching, thanks, woot auto edit)! (A great name for a terrible metal band.)
Glad that some people knew what NV meant, though not how insignificant it is. Sad that nobody'd actually tried the wine; the style is not a common one. (And not likely to be found at your local wine shop for less money.) But in-bottle decanting works PERFECTLY.
(email me for specifics, stillmanb-at-aoldotcom)

stillmanbrown

It's hard to find a trustworthy wine producer, merchant, or critic. Ever since Robert Parker died of Chinese heavy metal poisoning, that is.
Trolls are much more evident.

stillmanbrown

sdbcmr wrote:Had the opposite experience here. We drank it, but no one liked it much and opted for another selection for the rest of the evening.

The pickles, maybe?

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith
stillmanbrown wrote:The pickles, maybe?

hahaha! I'm looking forward to sipping on this PS - a little before my 2+ hour decant.

Stillman - thanks for being active on these forums!!!

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

stillmanbrown

nathanbsmith wrote:hahaha! I'm looking forward to sipping on this PS - a little before my 2+ hour decant.

Stillman - thanks for being active on these forums!!!

Thankyouverymuch!
I found most of the pickles too hot for my wimpy CA avocado palate, but didn't make a rant-chain of silly comments . . .