PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah

Crazy day today so I can't stay and play too long. But this is, as one comes to expect from PStillman, a fantastic wine.

This one has changed more with air than any other wine I've ever had. It went from punch-you-in-the-face-tannic (which I love!) to well-behaved. It's like air is Adderall for this wine -- the same elements and personality are still there, they're just all working together.

Just some really brilliant, massive tannins in this one. This is not for the PS newbies -- it's for grilled meat, skirt steak, game, BBQ... you could MAYBE swing a fatty strip steak, but why bother when so many other wines can handle that?

Another great wine from Stillman at a killer price.

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson
PetiteSirah wrote:Crazy day today so I can't stay and play too long. But this is, as one comes to expect from PStillman, a fantastic wine.

This one has changed more with air than any other wine I've ever had. It went from punch-you-in-the-face-tannic (which I love!) to well-behaved. It's like air is Adderall for this wine -- the same elements and personality are still there, they're just all working together.

Just some really brilliant, massive tannins in this one. This is not for the PS newbies -- it's for grilled meat, skirt steak, game, BBQ... you could MAYBE swing a fatty strip steak, but why bother when so many other wines can handle that?

Another great wine from Stillman at a killer price.

How long do we have to hold on to this one before you accuse us of being baby killers?

EDIT: Always an ought-to buy for me.

Speed to First Woot: 0m 19.772s
First Sucker:mill
Last Wooter to Woot:jmdavidson
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Stillman, a reminder of where one might find you in New Mexico? I have a very short trip out there at the beginning of may in White Sands (read middle-of-nowhere) and was just curious!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben
stillmanbrown wrote:Wow, what? I have difficulty re-corking those Amorims when they're relatively new, so they won't seat and go in a third or halfway. They'll come out with a little bit of warming because there's dissolved CO2 that increases pressure very slightly. But corks coming out of a new bottle, foiled or unfoiled, never.

Sent you a direct message with a picture to not hijack the thread further.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
andreaserben wrote:Sent you a direct message with a picture to not hijack the thread further.

the best part about a Stillman thread is you can't hijack it.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

stebs

quality posts: 3 Private Messages stebs

Hooray for Stillman wines! The Red Zeppelin ones are still some of my favorite bang-for-the-buck purchases off this site, and I still have a bottle of Black Zep stored away for later. But I am sad that since I moved to Rhode Island I can no longer buy wine here... Ah, well. Guess I'll just have to go to California some time.

Also, for those wine wooters looking for the traditional April 1 offering, don't forget to check out the fertilizer section of the new tools.woot site. Just saying.

Neophyte Oenophile Extraordinaire

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808
jmdavidson wrote:How long do we have to hold on to this one before you accuse us of being baby killers?

My thoughts too. I've still got plenty of PS that I just don't know what to do with. Should I even be thinking about touching some of that 2009 Black Zeppelin offering in Jan of 2011 (along with some other PS stashed away - 2009 Ty Caton and Kent Rasmussen Esoterica) anytime in this decade?

I'm familiar with Sangiovese (via Casa Noceto)and Brunello and have both in the cellar. At least I know somewhat how they will age and that I'm going to be looking at them in anticipation for several more years (or decant for hours to unwind the tannins).

Since I hadn't had any PS, I figured I'd pick up some here and there. And then I was informed that these need to sleep for years before they hit their prime (and then the dumb phase, which I won't live long enough to see them awaken from).

I'm surprised nobody has labeled a PS as "Sleeping Beauty" or some such.

Anyway, any notes on the 2009 Black Zeppelin?

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 138 Private Messages stillmanbrown
North316 wrote:Location:New Mexico and San Miguel, CA

Stillman, a reminder of where one might find you in New Mexico? I have a very short trip out there at the beginning of may in White Sands (read middle-of-nowhere) and was just curious!

More and more rarely, and not this May. That's a pretty wild frontier viticultural area (Tularosa)- check it out!

stillmanbrown

jmdavidson wrote:How long do we have to hold on to this one before you accuse us of being baby killers?

EDIT: Always an ought-to buy for me.

Speed to First Woot: 0m 19.772s
First Sucker:mill
Last Wooter to Woot:jmdavidson
Last Purchase:a few seconds ago

A sealed bottle . . . Perhaps 5 years? A bottle opened and a large glass poured out and covered, the bottle recorked? Two to five days, depending on what you like.

stillmanbrown

mike808 wrote:My thoughts too. I've still got plenty of PS that I just don't know what to do with. Should I even be thinking about touching some of that Black Zeppelin (along with some other PS stashed away) anytime in this decade?

The 09 Red blend, CC, is still backward. The 05 takes time to open, too, though it's got no PS.

North316

stillmanbrown wrote:More and more rarely, and not this May. That's a pretty wild frontier viticultural area (Tularosa)- check it out!

Tularose Vineyards? Looks interesting, might have to make that short drive. I'll tell them Stillman sent me.

My CT

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

Been two months (a long time for me) since I bought here, but they got me today.

Now I need to clear out a spot in the cellar to store at least one.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

Well heck... I haven't bought anything on WW in a few months, I just unlocked free shipping with my Bunch of 60s Cartoons and it's Stillman?

Guess you all know what button I'm about to push.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

stillmanbrown

Pictures of Home is the song, at least on Machine Head.

stillmanbrown

redwinefan wrote:I don't think the Woot photographer did justice to your label. It is very hard to read in the photos.

It's not easy to photograph, or read in person either - but it's not destined for a grocery shelf! I just wanted it to stand out from the previous swill visually . . . .

harmonious3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious3

I miss the almost invariably insane labels.

stillmanbrown

harmonious3 wrote:I miss the almost invariably insane labels.

Well, they've gotten insane to the point where I can't sell them publicly . . . so I may have overreacted with the Stillman series . . . .

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo
stillmanbrown wrote:Well, they've gotten insane to the point where I can't sell them publicly . . . so I may have overreacted with the Stillman series . . . .

Can we blame North Carolina again?

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 78 Private Messages PetiteSirah
stillmanbrown wrote:Well, they've gotten insane to the point where I can't sell them publicly . . . so I may have overreacted with the Stillman series . . . .

I'm still waiting for the Redheaded Stepchild label that we're going to do :-)

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

stillmanbrown

PetiteSirah wrote:I'm still waiting for the Redheaded Stepchild label that we're going to do :-)

Apply bleach to the label, not the wine!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
PetiteSirah wrote:I'm still waiting for the Redheaded Stepchild label that we're going to do :-)

that'd be the one that you can't beat for the price?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

I still have a few bottles of the 2005 Red and Black Zep, just biding their sweet time in my cellar. Not PS, I know, but I have a decent stash of PS's from around the same time sitting next to them. Now I just need to figure out when to open them up.

If not for the SIWBM, I would be in. Before this day is out, I might be in despite the SIWBM. That's the way it goes sometimes.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

stillmanbrown

bhodilee wrote:that'd be the one that you can't beat for the price?

I've got a fever of 101+ glad to see somebody else is taking up the slack here.

North316

stillmanbrown wrote:I've got a fever of 101+ glad to see somebody else is taking up the slack here.

Sound like you need some cowbell.

My CT

stillmanbrown

ROGETRAY wrote:

So many wine/music puns, so wrong.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 54 Private Messages jmdavidson

Maybe too much cowbell has scared away the wine woot community. So, could you tone it down a little?

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

jmdavidson wrote:Maybe too much cowbell has scared away the wine woot community. So, could you tone it down a little?

Post deleted. Cowbell depleted.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
jmdavidson wrote:Maybe too much cowbell has scared away the wine woot community. So, could you tone it down a little?

Ban!

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

stillmanbrown

Next party is "Elvis' Pharmacy" May 17-18 in Cayucos, CA. The same weekend as the Paso Wine Fest, but on the cool coast in the evening/night. The Paso Wine Fest can be challenging - it's outdoors in the park. My parties can be challenging too, but any sweat generated is optional.

michaelbonnercmt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michaelbonnercmt

Stillman! Just ordered this duo for my new wine cellar...your Oregon wine friend that partied with you in a blizzard bulldozing limo in Iowa!

stillmanbrown

michaelbonnercmt wrote:Stillman! Just ordered this duo for my new wine cellar...your Oregon wine friend that partied with you in a blizzard bulldozing limo in Iowa!

Hey Michael! Thanks! Headed back to Iowa Wednesday (if my temperature drops below 102)for ye olde alzheimer's confusion, then driving to Portland on Monday! Think I lost your # somewhere, email me? stillmanb@aol.com

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

in for 1

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT