editorkid

quality posts: 95 Private Messages editorkid
Bione wrote:Wine.Woot!: I know it's non-liquid Thursday, but why aren't there any WINE-filled chocolates on Easter? This is WINE woot, right? Not Bacon woot.

Except on Thursdays. (Like you say, huh?) And even if you don't want this, it's a nice change to see food (and good food at that) instead of the long line of schlocky corkscrews. Don't you all have corkscrews already? Also, if wine-filled chocolates went on sale today, they wouldn't even be shipped until mid-April, and where would your Easter be then?

Anyway, I love this stuff but agree with the folks who can't find any bacon flavor. It's still a nice addition to everything from strip steak to bratwursts.

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
alliemda wrote:Not to mention... New Hampshire. "Live free or die!"

PS Sorry I couldn't think of a better way to frame this joke. Assuming it can even be called a joke. Argh.

I died a little when I saw the picture of glistening congealed bacon product spilling out of the jar.

It's maple syrup running time up here, so maybe this is in prep for pancakes slathered in bacon goop with fresh maple syrup.

miken927

quality posts: 122 Private Messages miken927

It creaps me out that this seems to come in the same container as the Talenti gelato I buy...

------------------
I Bet on Sky

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 177 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

miken927 wrote:It creaps me out that this seems to come in the same container as the Talenti gelato I buy...

Crepes?!

KeithIrwin

quality posts: 1 Private Messages KeithIrwin

They aren't really selling anything uncured. They're touting it as not having added nitrates or nitrites other than what's found naturally in celery juice. Well that's true, but only because celery juice is naturally really high in nitrates. Like, really, really high. Some of the products sold in other stores as being "free of added nitrates and nitrites" actually have a higher total amount of nitrates and nitrites than the ones with the "added" nitrite and that's quite likely to be the case here, too. This is not inherently terrible. None of us want botulism and nitrates and nitrites prevent the growth of the bacteria that cause it. But you should be aware that the "uncured" stuff isn't really much different, chemically.

cycokiller

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cycokiller

Wow people panic about things a lot these days. Use your heads, going overboard on just about anything isn't healthy. And do a little objective research about things before you freak out. Of course searching for "nitrates/nitrites bad for health" is going to return all the horror stories about them. But if you do some real reading, from credible sources (not necessarily wikipedia), you'll find that your body produces way more than you'll ever eat.

In the end, you know your body (or you should at least), and you should eat what you know is good for you. Stop believing every bad thing you hear and spend some time learning about things so you can make your own informed decisions.

Spreading uneducated fear about these things doesn't really help anyone.

4F682120446F6E277420746F756368206D652074686572652100

pjfavia

quality posts: 4 Private Messages pjfavia

I purchased these back when they had a two-pack of the Original and Black Pepper/Fennel varieties (cured version). Although it doesn't look terribly appetizing, I like it a lot. It does have that layer of fat on top, but I use it while spreading. Half the flavor of bacon is fat, you know!

My favorite application is to spread it on an english muffin with a fried egg and cheese, in lieu of cooking up a few bacon slices for the sandwich. The black pepper and fennel has a real kick to it.

toadylama

quality posts: 1 Private Messages toadylama

My favorite application is to spread it on an english muffin with a fried egg and cheese....dude!

that's a baco-black-and-white TV-muffin! Yummy!

ccm1092

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccm1092

Why hasn't mine shipped yet? i ordered it back on the 28th

PemberDucky

quality posts: 41 Private Messages PemberDucky

Staff

ccm1092 wrote:Why hasn't mine shipped yet? i ordered it back on the 28th

it can take up to five business days to process and ship your order (doesn't usually take that long, but it can).

if you have concerns about the status of your order, you can always contact Support@Woot.com, but since you only ordered on Thursday, i'd advise waiting a tad longer before firing off the email.

-----------------------------------------------
Not sure if you should post that? This slightly-nsfw-flowchart will help.

ccm1092

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ccm1092
PemberDucky wrote:it can take up to five business days to process and ship your order (doesn't usually take that long, but it can).

if you have concerns about the status of your order, you can always contact Support@Woot.com, but since you only ordered on Thursday, i'd advise waiting a tad longer before firing off the email.

ok thanks for the note, i didnt realize there could be a 5 day waiting period. Normally it ships within a day or 2.