kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:In for some more of the Vino Noceto Riserva, just can't resist them...I tried tho

I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on that 3-pack, as well. I bought too much wine this month, especially considering I wasn't supposed to buy any, though. Will assess finances tonight. And plan my funeral.

Edit: finances assessed. I have to pass. Hopefully we'll see it in a couple months again.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on that 3-pack, as well. I bought too much wine this month, especially considering I wasn't supposed to buy any, though. Will assess finances tonight. And plan my funeral.

Edit: finances assessed. I have to pass. Hopefully we'll see it in a couple months again.

Do you want me to put one in your box?? It's' not like I don't have enough

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus
tytiger58 wrote:Do you want me to put one in your box?? It's' not like I don't have enough

Perfect. Takes your owed down to $20. Adds another bottle for SWMBO to yell at me about.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

kylemittskus wrote:Perfect. Takes your owed down to $20. Adds another bottle for SWMBO to yell at me about.

Done...sorry to add to your pain...just tell her it was a gift

cortot20

quality posts: 141 Private Messages cortot20
tytiger58 wrote:Done...sorry to add to your pain...just tell her it was a gift

If she throws him out you have to take him in for all the enabling.

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
SuzyGullett wrote:and our Vino Noceto tasting room.

Mods: can you tag Suzy's posts as from an owner for us..?

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Mods: can you tag Suzy's posts as from an owner for us..?

Done. (Spotlighted)

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

At our (community driven, unofficial) woot.wine gathering last night, one of us brought the 2005 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Marmellata, and I brought the 2008 Riserva Noceto Sangiovese sold here.
The 2005 definitely was aging nicely, and I found it quite jammy (not sweet).
The 2008 in comparison had a similar nose, and the notes of the woot offering right now align with what I got.
I definitely also got a bit of 'jammyness' in the 2008 Riserva, but not as pronounced as in the Marmellata.

michugana

quality posts: 0 Private Messages michugana

I ordered the Lang mixed 6-pack during the screw top offerings and I loved them. The Barbera is very tasty and the Zin is also very good. Excited to see Lang back on here, though I do wish this was a 3-3 mix instead of 4 Zins and 2 Barberas. I REALLY want more of those Barberas!

Quick question, anyone know why there is a tax being added onto the order? I went to buy, and instead of 79.99 + $5 shipping there was and extra $3.99 tax? I don't ever recall seeing that before.

moondigger

quality posts: 11 Private Messages moondigger

I shared a bottle of the Vino Noceto 2008 Riserva Sangiovese with my wife and a friend last night. Based on comments I read in previous discussions, I was concerned it would be a little too young, but I wanted to try it so I could decide whether to order more in this Plus offer.

We popped and poured. My first glass went through a Vinturi. I don't know if this bottle was an outlier or something, but I thought it was drinking well right now. It had a little acid kick but not the pucker factor I had expected. It was light/medium bodied. I got mostly cherry/berry on the palate, juicy, with only hints of oak and tannin.

I poured my second glass straight, bypassing the Vinturi to see if that made a difference. The differences were minor, and didn't change my opinion that it's drinking very well right now. The tannins were slightly more present, though still mild for somebody who typically goes for full-bodied cabs. The overall profile was the same - juicy, berry flavors, a bit of pleasant tartness from the acid. I don't mean to make this wine sound simple, because it isn't. I'm summarizing based on my memory of it, as I didn't take detailed tasting notes.

My wife got more of the acid tartness, with a bit of pucker factor, which she likes. Where I felt like the acid didn't overwhelm the fruit, she was glad the fruit didn't overwhelm the acid. I guess that's just two ways of describing the same thing, but it gives you an idea of what each of us is looking for or valuing in the wine.

My friend liked it, calling it "interesting." I don't have more details from him, because we were drinking it while watching a movie, and so were otherwise occupied.

I will be ordering more of it today, despite having no space left to store it. The only question is whether I'm in for one or two.

moondigger

michugana wrote:Quick question, anyone know why there is a tax being added onto the order? I went to buy, and instead of 79.99 + $5 shipping there was and extra $3.99 tax? I don't ever recall seeing that before.

This question seems to come up in just about every new offer's discussion page since the end of February. Before February 22 or thereabouts, the taxes wineries are required to collect for most states were simply rolled into the woot pricing. Now it's set apart as a separate line item based on the sales tax rate at the shipping address. You may notice that the cost of equivalent offers has dropped by a few dollars now compared to pre-Feb 22 offers, since the tax isn't rolled in any more.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
bsevern wrote:I've never tried Lang wines, the 6-pack of zin looks like a low investment to test them out!

I like all the wine offered on this offering. Lang has had a long time investment in the Shenandoah Valley/Amador-El Dorado County appellations and his wines are produced more in the old world style. Vino Noceto I always buy on Woot and enjoyed a bottle the other night at a great Italian Restaurant in San Diego. Domenico does a good job developing good extraction in their Barbera.

ScottHarveyWines

eluofthenine wrote:Dang, and I'm just really starting to get into Piedmont wines too. My question is: how similar is Cali Barbera to good DOCG Barbera? How much does terroir matter, and do the Cali producers try to emulate the same winemaking styles as the Italians, or do they stick to methods they use on more common domestic varietals? And which one is the best?

Ok, that was more than one question

There are two regions in the Piedmont, Asti and Alba that produce Barbera. Both produce Barbera in an Italian style with that wonderful acidic hard tannin that makes the wine go so well with food. The Asti is a little more leaner and tarter while the Alba shows more center body and richness. Amador is more like the Alba but even more so with even more center and richness. Barbera is a sun loving variety and is second to Nebbiolo in the Piedmont. Piedmonte (which means Foothills in Italian)is close to a marine influence, so a fog loving variety does well there. A sun loving variety gets the second best vineyard sites. Amador County is also a foothill region up against a fast growing mountain range, but it does not have the fog that Piedmonte has because it is to far from the Pacific. So the sun loving variety Barbera does much better there and is given the best vineyard sites. Therefore, I believe that over time Amador will become known as the best Barbera vineyard area in the world. The wines are already showing it.

eluofthenine

quality posts: 8 Private Messages eluofthenine

Great info Scott. Thanks for the answer!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
moondigger wrote:This question seems to come up in just about every new offer's discussion page since the end of February. Before February 22 or thereabouts, the taxes wineries are required to collect for most states were simply rolled into the woot pricing. Now it's set apart as a separate line item based on the sales tax rate at the shipping address. You may notice that the cost of equivalent offers has dropped by a few dollars now compared to pre-Feb 22 offers, since the tax isn't rolled in any more.

The lower pricepre tax not necessarily true. See last Cipa Del Rey Cab offer. Same price Pre /post tax line item so on essence more expensive now

"The older I get the better I was"

moondigger

losthighwayz wrote:The lower pricepre tax not necessarily true. See last Cipa Del Rey Cab offer. Same price Pre /post tax line item so on essence more expensive now

In most cases that I have seen, there has been a drop of a few dollars. But I have no special insight as to why the Copa Del Ray offer didn't have a similar drop.

Of course, there's also no guarantee that any item offered now will necessarily be the same price it was before, even disregarding the question of tax. Several people noted the somewhat substantial price increase for the Jana Cathedral offered on Friday.

tytiger58

cortot20 wrote:If she throws him out you have to take him in for all the enabling.

Ha, if he brings his wine stash I will make room

andreaserben

moondigger wrote:This question seems to come up in just about every new offer's discussion page since the end of February. Before February 22 or thereabouts, the taxes wineries are required to collect for most states were simply rolled into the woot pricing. Now it's set apart as a separate line item based on the sales tax rate at the shipping address. You may notice that the cost of equivalent offers has dropped by a few dollars now compared to pre-Feb 22 offers, since the tax isn't rolled in any more.

Yeah, still I repeat that I am dumbfunded that many of those same wineries themselves do not seem to collect those taxes when you order from them. If they do collect taxes and 'hide' it by rolling it in the average price and not putting it in the receipt, from my understanding this would not be legally allowed practice since a receipt needs to properly reflect taxation.
My conclusion - we are not getting the full picture yet

andreaserben

losthighwayz wrote:The lower pricepre tax not necessarily true. See last Cipa Del Rey Cab offer. Same price Pre /post tax line item so on essence more expensive now

Some prices just happen to increase based on cost, exchange rates (for imports), supply and demand anyways. So - not all is because of taxes.
I noticed however that in average the prices are up a bit and the price drops are not done proportionally. The rule of the thumb seems to be that a package that would have been before $55 or less seems to be cheaper now since the price drop is post-tax in absolute numbers often as large or larger in some cases even than for some wines selling for $69 or more which post price adjustment+tax are more expensive for most. So - shrugs... it would not be unusual for marketing/pricing policy purposes to use a change in taxation or other external influence to adjust prices at the same time while trying to minimize consumer backlash.

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman

Dang, I wish I could justify Scott's Barbera and the Noceto Riserva. I'd also happily get the Domenico, since I do recall their Amador wines being fairly good. Too much wine, not enough storage, and need to keep money in my pocket. Pout.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek

Maybe I'm missing a deal that came up at some time, but I see the most current Copa Del Ray @ 49.99/6 bottles of 2009 Cab on 3/20/13 Here

Then I see the previous offer on 12/10/12 (before separate tax) @ $54.99/6 bottles of 2009 Cab Here

Appears to be a $5 difference, before and after.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
andreaserben wrote:Yeah, still I repeat that I am dumbfunded that many of those same wineries themselves do not seem to collect those taxes when you order from them. If they do collect taxes and 'hide' it by rolling it in the average price and not putting it in the receipt, from my understanding this would not be legally allowed practice since a receipt needs to properly reflect taxation.

When I researched Washington I didn't see anything about needing to provide a receipt.

What I did see was a requirement to obtain a Washington business license. As soon as you have one of those you are required to file reports with the Department of Revenue no less frequently than quarterly. The form doesn't ask you if you provided receipts. It does require that you report revenues from sales of specific items, and calculates the taxes that are to be remitted.

moondigger

tdedek wrote:Maybe I'm missing a deal that came up at some time, but I see the most current Copa Del Ray @ 49.99/6 bottles of 2009 Cab on 3/20/13 Here

Then I see the previous offer on 12/10/12 (before separate tax) @ $54.99/6 bottles of 2009 Cab Here

Appears to be a $5 difference, before and after.

You know what? You're right. And it goes beyond that. The Copa Del Rey 2009 Cabernet 6-pack was offered five different times between October 24, 2012 and February 19, 2013 (before the tax collection change). It was $54.99 every one of those five times, and now (post-tax-change) it is $49.99.

Prior to October 24, 2012, it was offered at $49.99. So the price did go up $5 in the fall of 2012, but that increase did not coincide with any tax changes. And then it did drop $5 following the tax change.

I think the reason for the confusion is this: When Cesare posts about each new offer, it appears that he's copying/pasting the same block of text each time, which references a really old previous offer from 2011. That offer was $49.99, but does not accurately reflect the $5 increase in cost in October of 2012. So when people are comparing the current price with the most easily-found previous offer (the one Cesare is linking), they think there hasn't been a price decrease -- but there has.

Disclaimer: This in no way is meant to be a criticism of Cesare. Just pointing out a likely reason for the confusion.

ScottHarveyWines

andreaserben wrote:Yeah, still I repeat that I am dumbfunded that many of those same wineries themselves do not seem to collect those taxes when you order from them. If they do collect taxes and 'hide' it by rolling it in the average price and not putting it in the receipt, from my understanding this would not be legally allowed practice since a receipt needs to properly reflect taxation.

I'm not sure about other wineries, but we file a form for every state we ship to every month and declare what we shipped with a tax payment. Compliance in a winery today is pretty much a full time job. Some times the checks are for 50 cents.

SuzyGullett

quality posts: 5 Private Messages SuzyGullett

Vino Noceto also pays monthly sales tax to every state where it ships wine. If you are not charged sales tax by a winery, either your state does not tax wine (e.g., Colorado, Oregon, Minnesota, DC, Iowa, Missouri)or the winery is ignoring compliance requirements. As for sales tax on wine.woot, I'm not sure of the reasons, but I'm happy because now I'm being reimbursed for the sales tax I've always had to pay.

hiten900

quality posts: 10 Private Messages hiten900
bsevern wrote:I've never tried Lang wines, the 6-pack of zin looks like a low investment to test them out!

I enjoyed them from the recent woot offer, and would recommend. I prefered Zin to Barb, but that just me.

awstansbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awstansbury
kmagt wrote:Quit telling people about Amador County! It's already getting too crowded for us locals who've been going there for years....

I totally agree! The fee-free tasting rooms are starting to charge! Although Renwood, with their new owner, has made some amazing improvements as of late (along with their tasting charge -- I happily pay).

Good thing Sobon will always be there, making their delicious, full-bodied, old-vineyard wines and tasting/selling out of a great, old milkhouse. Their wine-club is no charge, btw; what class. I love that place; their wines not only compete with everything in Amador but do so at 1/2 the price.

Vino Noceto makes a HELL of a sangiovese as well, so don't pass on this deal. Support the little guys in Amador, the few who are actually experimenting with growing new grapes and making big wines in the shadow of the formidable Napa Valley.

andreaserben

SuzyGullett wrote:Vino Noceto also pays monthly sales tax to every state where it ships wine. If you are not charged sales tax by a winery, either your state does not tax wine (e.g., Colorado, Oregon, Minnesota, DC, Iowa, Missouri)or the winery is ignoring compliance requirements. As for sales tax on wine.woot, I'm not sure of the reasons, but I'm happy because now I'm being reimbursed for the sales tax I've always had to pay.

Interesting, maybe this means we are on to something to explain what seems to make no sense to some - you say Minnesota does not charge sales tax on wine? Yet wine.woot charges us here in MN?

If it works out better with less overhead for wineries, this is good news - it is just heck of confusing for customers when they receive a sales tax charge here, but not at another place they are buying while one should assume it is the same everywhere. It also makes prices more difficult to compare.

Looking forward to receive my next Noceto shipment soon.

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim

Dang it, I got caught in a weak moment. I've still yet to make room in the chiller for everything I've bought lately, and off I go clicking that big yellow button 3 times. More SH, new to me Lang and Vino Noceto! I[' not sure where I'm going to hide, I mean store this stuff!!

markmckenna

quality posts: 5 Private Messages markmckenna

Wonderful to see so much enthusiasm for Amador County and the spectacular wines coming out of "The County" as all the locals call it!! I have been making the wines for Lang for a decade and it has been a pleasure to work with some of the finest and most interesting vineyards in the region during that time. I think the thing about Amador wines that gets people so excited is that they are just so darn drinkable. The Barberas in particular at their best pull off a delicious balancing act of fruit and just a dash of pepper, well structured while not too heavy. They are wines you can drink everyday and not bore of them. So glad to see Scott and Suzy in the offerings, great wineries doing tasty things. Go for it! Buy some Amador wine, open a bottle, and start planning your trip to visit us : ) !!

neilfindswine

quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

markmckenna wrote:Wonderful to see so much enthusiasm for Amador County and the spectacular wines coming out of "The County" as all the locals call it!! I have been making the wines for Lang for a decade and it has been a pleasure to work with some of the finest and most interesting vineyards in the region during that time. I think the thing about Amador wines that gets people so excited is that they are just so darn drinkable. The Barberas in particular at their best pull off a delicious balancing act of fruit and just a dash of pepper, well structured while not too heavy. They are wines you can drink everyday and not bore of them. So glad to see Scott and Suzy in the offerings, great wineries doing tasty things. Go for it! Buy some Amador wine, open a bottle, and start planning your trip to visit us : ) !!

Thanks for coming by Mark!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

andreaserben

To all participating Amador winemakers - really appreciated. You seem to beat many if not most of the other Woot Plus offers in terms of participation, a display of passion for what you do and a high regard for your customers.

I hope I can visit one day.

And also, you are understanding the dynamic woot community very well

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin

I've enjoyed numerous Lang offerings over the years, generally very good QPR offerings.

CT

woottoady

quality posts: 33 Private Messages woottoady

To keep the OT thread on taxes alive... Woot also taxes delivery... Sure that's "only" 30 cents or so, but for many of us "service" is not taxed.

DanNC

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DanNC

And let's not forget about the wonderful El Dorado county wines in Somerset/Fairplay and Apple Hill. Favorites include Calibri Ridge, Charles Mitchell, Oakstone, Lava Cap, the cab franc at Madrona....

andreaserben

woottoady wrote:To keep the OT thread on taxes alive... Woot also taxes delivery... Sure that's "only" 30 cents or so, but for many of us "service" is not taxed.

Well, _IF_ the purchase is taxable then many states require the shipping+handling cost also to be taxed. So, if you decide to make two purchases anyways, one of them being not a wine purchases - do that other purchase first and unlock free shipping.
I still question that woot is doing it right for all states, they might be collecting taxes in some cases where they are not supposed to. Hoping to hear back about this.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

DanNC wrote:And let's not forget about the wonderful El Dorado county wines in Somerset/Fairplay and Apple Hill. Favorites include Calibri Ridge, Charles Mitchell, Oakstone, Lava Cap, the cab franc at Madrona....

Lava Cap gets brought up alot. we've tried several times to work with them.

frankly, they don't get it. will keep trying.

rlrct

quality posts: 6 Private Messages rlrct
SuzyGullett wrote:Hopefully Scott will chime in for Amador County Barberas, but in the meantime I'll add my two-cents worth. We discovered Amador County Barbera in the early 80's, and Scott's Barbera has been, and still is, among the finest. This grape grows phenomenally well up here, with several great producers (Vino Noceto also makes a Barbera from the Linsteadt Vineyard). Several Amador County Barberas have come out on top of a major Italian Barbera competition, and Amador Barberas take a huge percentage of the awards at the California State Fair each year. Amador Barberas are typically bigger, riper and fruitier than their Italian counterpart, with less perceived acid -- though, still with good acid. Basically, an Amador Barbera is more what you might expect from a California wine. Try googling "a year in wine barbera king for a day" for a great article on California (and Foothill) Barbera by critic Mike Dunne.

Sounds delicious! Unfortunately you don't ship to CT :-(.

Searayjim

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim
North316 wrote:I have a bottle of the Zin the I have not yet tries, but I really enjoyed their Barbara.

Was it the/this 2010 Barbera you enjoyed?

I'm also curious if anyone has notes?

I'm curious because these came in Saturday and I popped one last night. I'll reserve comments but to say, it's my first Barbera to try and this one does not align with notes I've read. I'm temped to pop one of the SH's just to compare to the Lang. I'll just say I did not finish the 2nd glass.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
Searayjim wrote:Was it the/this 2010 Barbera you enjoyed?

I'm also curious if anyone has notes?

I'm curious because these came in Saturday and I popped one last night. I'll reserve comments but to say, it's my first Barbera to try and this one does not align with notes I've read. I'm temped to pop one of the SH's just to compare to the Lang. I'll just say I did not finish the 2nd glass.

It was the 2007:

2007 Lang Wines Barbera Oakmont (USA, California, Sierra Foothills, Amador County) 8/30/2012 North316 87
This was pretty good stuff. Paid well with some grilled brats.

Nose: Nice baking spice, cinnamon, cloves and some nice dark cherries. Slight floral hint.
Taste: This one surprisingly evolved over time. Went well with the food with a little spice, decent body and some fruit. After sitting in the glass for a bit it really opened up and showed lots of delicious red fruits. Starts a little peppery, but finishes fruity with a hint of perceived sweetness (no actual RS here, just nice fruit).

Medium finish

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013