ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
dalematthew wrote:Scott / Monica - any chance of throwing in some of the 04 in with these 05s?



The 04 in the library is down to about 6 cases in 6packs. Give the winery a call 707 968-9575 and talk to Jana. She may let some go.

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
mrn1 wrote:If there are any fellow Wooters out there that aren't aware of the Ohio gathering.....Scott & Jana Harvey will be pouring their '06 Jana Cathedral along w/ 6 other wines on 4/19. See the Ohio Gathering thread under the World of Wine Woot tab.


Yes! Link in my sig below

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
mother wrote:The costs of carrying unsold inventory is not something you generally get to pass on to consumers, and prices are not generally up 55%, and certainly not for wine...

Scott and Jana have the right to ask whatever they want for their admittedly very good wine. As consumers we may buy, but the QPR is a lot lower than on the previous offers.

I would imagine they have limited quantities of this and don't need to sell the volume they normally do.



It's totally unfair to blame 100% of the price increase on Scott & Jana. Remember the pricing structure for WW has significantly changed. From what I've been told by multiple vintners, Papa Woot takes a much larger cut than they used to, (oh say the last time this was offered.) Also the actual shipping costs are no longer subsidized by Papa Woot.

So yes the vineyard is selling this through WW for more than last time, but their retail price for this library wine is the same as it was then, $75/bottle. Watch for that to increase to $80/bottle soon based on historical Cathedral library wine pricing.

I was able to snag a bottle of the '03 this past November from their last remaining stock. Your better off paying a little more than you'd like now, so you don't find yourself without, later.

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

daveinwarshington


quality posts: 15 Private Messages daveinwarshington

Must... not... appear... drunk... when... delivery... arrives...

dalematthew


quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew
ScottHarveyWines wrote:The 04 in the library is down to about 6 cases in 6packs. Give the winery a call 707 968-9575 and talk to Jana. She may let some go.



Will do. Thx!

And Happy Bday!!

winedrew


quality posts: 6 Private Messages winedrew

Good morning Scott!

Happy Birthday! I must come over and pull some corks with ya!

Cheers,
Drew

eluofthenine


quality posts: 7 Private Messages eluofthenine

Mortgage, or CATHEDRAL...... Hmmmmm decisions, decisions. I kid.

But seriously how am I supposed to remain fiscally responsible with a wine like this? And such great feedback too. Woot, I'm over the edge. You'll be hearing from my financial adviser.

wineyum


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wineyum
eluofthenine wrote:Mortgage, or CATHEDRAL...... Hmmmmm decisions, decisions. I kid.

But seriously how am I supposed to remain fiscally responsible with a wine like this? And such great feedback too. Woot, I'm over the edge. You'll be hearing from my financial adviser.



You should look on the bright side, the 8 or so bottles I bought previously have showed an impressive investment gain (if only I would stop drinking the profits!) I suspect your financial advisor has not matched the Cathedral returns!

Bendial80


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Bendial80

Yikes thats Pricy for only 2 bottles ... pass

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I checked this last night and cursed myself for having to spend $100 on two bottles, then I looked in my CT and realized I had two bottles of this already, so I could obstain from this offer. I do not, however, have any 2006. Where is the 2006, was this ever offered on woot, or too little supply?

I believe the 2006 was served in Wooster last year, and is being server there again this year. Did they steal all of it?

Oh yeah, and Scott if you have any extra room in your suitcase for Wooster, fill it up with some of your balls. I got a smoker for Christmas and will be needing them soon! Obviously, I could just call/email Monica, but smuggling them across country in a suitcase sounds way more fun.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
North316 wrote:Oh yeah, and Scott if you have any extra room in your suitcase for Wooster, fill it up with some of your balls. I got a smoker for Christmas and will be needing them soon! Obviously, I could just call/email Monica, but smuggling them across country in a suitcase sounds way more fun.



Is it wrong this made me chuckle, even though I know exactly what you're talking about.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
bhodilee wrote:Is it wrong this made me chuckle, even though I know exactly what you're talking about.



That was half of the point...

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

dah7m


quality posts: 9 Private Messages dah7m
ScottHarveyWines wrote:I originally did not want to label it Cabernet in case in future vintages I wanted to make a blend with less than 75% Cabernet. We have decided to label it Cathedral Cabernet Sauvignon in the future starting with the 2010 vintage.


Cool! Makes sense. Very impressed with your ability to keep the alcohol in check at 13.5. I'm very curious to try this.

ScottHarveyWines


quality posts: 151 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
North316 wrote:Oh yeah, and Scott if you have any extra room in your suitcase for Wooster, fill it up with some of your balls. I got a smoker for Christmas and will be needing them soon! Obviously, I could just call/email Monica, but smuggling them across country in a suitcase sounds way more fun.



I made a note to myself to remember to put them in.

klezman


quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Glad I have two of these from a previous offering!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

bobrush12866


quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866
North316 wrote:I checked this last night and cursed myself for having to spend $100 on two bottles, then I looked in my CT and realized I had two bottles of this already, so I could obstain from this offer. I do not, however, have any 2006. Where is the 2006, was this ever offered on woot, or too little supply?

I believe the 2006 was served in Wooster last year, and is being server there again this year. Did they steal all of it?

Oh yeah, and Scott if you have any extra room in your suitcase for Wooster, fill it up with some of your balls. I got a smoker for Christmas and will be needing them soon! Obviously, I could just call/email Monica, but smuggling them across country in a suitcase sounds way more fun.



I don't believe the 2006 Cathedral has ever been offered on woot...I'm thinking I would have some if it was...

Hey Scott: How about putting up some of the 2006 Cathedral?

CAGrl


quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl
ScottHarveyWines wrote:The 04 in the library is down to about 6 cases in 6packs. Give the winery a call 707 968-9575 and talk to Jana. She may let some go.


I might have to call Jana too. I might be heading up that way for the Vincent Arroyo open house on May 4th. Any chance you will be around? We might want to drop by and say hello.

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I love cabernets, but am not sure I really understand what "old-style" Napa Cabernet tastes like.

Have there been any other Woots that this could be compared too?

Ardente 1997?(Old, but tastes new school to me)

Meeker Kiss Ridge 2004(Seems pretty new-school as well)

Anyone, RPM, Bueller???

(BTW, I'm waiting about 15 years to crack my 3L of 2007 Jana..)

Is it broke or just fractured?

AndDale2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndDale2

Loving the comments, and when I speak to MY financial advisor shall endeavor to persuade.

But the real reason I'm posting is the awesome write up for this wine...took me a minute to recognize the tune (cuz for some reason I started at the bottom) but Oh, Magilla Gorilla! too freaking funny.

Shout out to the 60s shout out to Rudy Vallee. Boh-doh-bee-doh-boh, indeed. Well Done!

rc70


quality posts: 1 Private Messages rc70

again no idaho shipping - why ? why ?
please get a license. after 14 wine purchases so far this year the last two have been no go for idaho. we like good wine here also.

wineyum


quality posts: 6 Private Messages wineyum
rlmanzo wrote:I love cabernets, but am not sure I really understand what "old-style" Napa Cabernet tastes like.

Have there been any other Woots that this could be compared too?

Ardente 1997?(Old, but tastes new school to me)

Meeker Kiss Ridge 2004(Seems pretty new-school as well)

Anyone, RPM, Bueller???

(BTW, I'm waiting about 15 years to crack my 3L of 2007 Jana..)



There are those who I'm certain can explain this better, but a wine tasting course I had once described it something like this:

Old World (usually colder climate)= higher acid, lighter body, usually less alcohol

New World (warmer)= lower acid, thus fuller body, more fruit forward. Warmer=more sugar=more alcohol= more body

p.s. I am a neophyte compared to most who seem to chime in on these boards, so take my 2 cents for what it is worth - exactly 2 cents!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark


Happy Birthday to Scott Harvey!!









Happy Birthday to Scott Harvey!!!














☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

JesseM3


quality posts: 1 Private Messages JesseM3

The evening dinner and festivities with Scott in the vineyards this past summer during the rookie tour is such a good memory - I'm in for 1.

fredrinaldi


quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

good stuff got 2 in the rack. In missouri today to see kids & g/kids, snow & cold, expect 6 to 10 in tomorrow, Miss Manhattan Beach already,

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo
wineyum wrote:There are those who I'm certain can explain this better, but a wine tasting course I had once described it something like this:

Old World (usually colder climate)= higher acid, lighter body, usually less alcohol

New World (warmer)= lower acid, thus fuller body, more fruit forward. Warmer=more sugar=more alcohol= more body

p.s. I am a neophyte compared to most who seem to chime in on these boards, so take my 2 cents for what it is worth - exactly 2 cents!



Thanks for your comments, but I believe what has been said is that these wines are "old-style" Napa. i.e pre-"Parkerization" but still very much California.

I don't think they are being sold as "old-World", which to me suggests Bordeaux-like.


Is it broke or just fractured?

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

For those not in the know, Scott is having a Birthday Sale on his website. 15% off select wines (25 for club members). Orders over $75 get 2 Scott Harvey wine glasses and orders over $100 ship free. I got in on this sale last year and used the glasses to drink with at the Wooster after-party

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
rlmanzo wrote:(BTW, I'm waiting about 15 years to crack my 3L of 2007 Jana..)



15 years, that's it? I'm holding out another 21 (50th B-day) or 24 (25th anniversary) as long as the wine holds that long!

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
rlmanzo wrote:I love cabernets, but am not sure I really understand what "old-style" Napa Cabernet tastes like.

Have there been any other Woots that this could be compared too?

Ardente 1997?(Old, but tastes new school to me)

Meeker Kiss Ridge 2004(Seems pretty new-school as well)

Anyone, RPM, Bueller???

(BTW, I'm waiting about 15 years to crack my 3L of 2007 Jana..)



Haven't had the Ardente yet.

Most (all) Napa "cult" cabs = New World
Meeker = New World
Tara Bella = Old World
Corison = Old World

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rjquillin


quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
rlmanzo wrote:I love cabernets, but am not sure I really understand what "old-style" Napa Cabernet tastes like.
(BTW, I'm waiting about 15 years to crack my 3L of 2007 Jana..)

Pity that,'cause they really shine with some age on them. And agree on the '07. Really wish there were a few 750's or even a 375 to project when to pull corks on the mags and 3.0L Jana's. These may be something I never taste, but pass on the the kids and grands...

CT

rlmanzo


quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo
kylemittskus wrote:Haven't had the Ardente yet.

Most (all) Napa "cult" cabs = New World
Meeker = New World
Tara Bella = Old World
Corison = Old World



Hmmm...I did like Corison...

I feel myself getting sucked in..Help.

Is it broke or just fractured?

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:For those not in the know, Scott is having a Birthday Sale on his website. 15% off select wines (25 for club members). Orders over $75 get 2 Scott Harvey wine glasses and orders over $100 ship free. I got in on this sale last year and used the glasses to drink with at the Wooster after-party


Yea, I just saw that email. Bought the 2-pack here and picked up another '06 Cathedral and 3 Mt. Selection Syrahs to break the $100 barrier on Scott's site for the wine glasses and free shipping. Woohoo! Happy birthday, Scott!

PhilSandifer


quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer
mother wrote:The costs of carrying unsold inventory is not something you generally get to pass on to consumers, and prices are not generally up 55%, and certainly not for wine...



Wine isn't a general case. Aged wine is more valuable, due both to scarcity (a lot of bottles are bought by people intending to age them or are drunk young) and quality (there is a reason people age their wine).

So basically, they've both made this available to you after its main selling window and provided the storage space for its aging. That adds value, and is the norm for any serious cab producer.

It's also not fair to compare to a previous Woot price. Yes, the $55 for two was a deep discount - about a 50% discount, in fact. This isn't as good a discount, but this is a sale price, not a normal price. The price structure over the past few years on their store is much more instructive.

2007: $61.60 (adjusting from magnum price - Scott tends to have a magnum be about 2.3x as expensive as a 750 ml bottle, and the 2007 had no magnums)
2006: $65
2005: $75
2004: $80

So the ramping up is pretty reasonable, all things considered.

The issue is that this is a 33% of sale, not a 50% off sale. But not offering as deep a discount is not the same as overcharging.

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen

For comparison's sake I just bought a bottle of the '06 Cathedral from Scott's website. Even with my 25% club member discount it was still $52 plus tax. I'd have paid $60 for the '05 being offered here today and $64 for an '04. No, this isn't the same deal as was available previously but you won't get it anywhere else for less, including Scott's site and even if you're a club member.

dalematthew


quality posts: 21 Private Messages dalematthew
chipgreen wrote:For comparison's sake I just bought a bottle of the '06 Cathedral from Scott's website. Even with my 25% club member discount it was still $52 plus tax. I'd have paid $60 for the '05 being offered here today and $64 for an '04. No, this isn't the same deal as was available previously but you won't get it anywhere else for less, including Scott's site and even if you're a club member.



Did you get the 25% birthday discount to apply to the 06?

chipgreen


quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
dalematthew wrote:Did you get the 25% birthday discount to apply to the 06?


Yes, the 25% is discounted automatically upon logging into the site (15% if you're not a wine club member). I used the "birthday" code for free shipping on the $100+ purchase.
EDIT: My bad, I see why you were asking now. The '06 Cathedral isn't one of the "birthday" wines so I only got 20% off that one but it did count towards the free shipping.

mschauber


quality posts: 40 Private Messages mschauber
North316 wrote:15 years, that's it? I'm holding out another 21 (50th B-day) or 24 (25th anniversary) as long as the wine holds that long!



I guess I'm the old one among us, mines being opened for my 50th b-day, but that's less than 12 years away

Scott, think the 2003 & 2004 will hold up until the summer of 2023?

PS: Any news on a '10 cathedral release date?

--
Hey you, out there in the cold; Getting lonely, getting old; Can you feel me? - Pink Floyd/Roger Waters
My CT

AndDale2


quality posts: 0 Private Messages AndDale2
mschauber wrote:I guess I'm the old one among us, mines being opened for my 50th b-day, but that's less than 12 years away



LOL '06 WAS my 50th Birthday, whipper-snappers! ;-)

inazuma


quality posts: 3 Private Messages inazuma

Folks,

I'm going to be a first time Daddy this year and want to buy my son wine from this year's vintage to give him as a present for his 21st Birthday. So I'll be waiting for a woot deal on a 2013 vintage. In any case, suggestions on what I should get that will keep that long (I'll have it in a wine cellar). I'm thinking something like this Jana, Corison, Ty Caton (TyTanium), a Wellington? Suggestions and comments from the gurus here would greatly appreciated. Thanks!

rjquillin


quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
PhilSandifer wrote:2007: $61.60 (adjusting from magnum price - Scott tends to have a magnum be about 2.3x as expensive as a 750 ml bottle, and the 2007 had no magnums)

I think you mean 2007 had no 750's, as I have both mags and a 3.0L of the '07.

CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
mschauber wrote:I guess I'm the old one among us, mines being opened for my 50th b-day, but that's less than 12 years away

Not by a long shot, that was 12 years ago for me, and I know some are better aged than I.

CT