jbrich

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jbrich

The site says it will ship to Nebraska, but when placing the order, NO! Foiled...

glaicius

quality posts: 4 Private Messages glaicius

In for one. I was not too crazy about having to pay "the man" taxes, but even with that it comes to about $8.55 x bottle for me. Not quite the 57% advertised savings, but close.

On to another subject: I know that I and another couple of wooters, currently following this thread, are in the minority. But yes, the use of Joseph, Mary, Baby Jesus and others was quite inappropriate.

We all have different values, moral standards and religious views that we hold dear to our hearts. We can’t ask to sincerely respect each other if we mock or make light of what others believe in deeply for the sake of a quick laugh.

I'm not much for political correctness, but if the subject would have been the gay and lesbian community some people would be quite upset and statements on how denigrating the woot write-up was.

Respect is a two way avenue. So NO, Woot writers; contrary to what others may have stated, the write up was not deserving of a GOOD JOB! praise.

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

I move that the religion issue be taken to the Poli"ticks" thread here:
http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4832293&pageindex=45&replycount=1768

As for this wine, I wanted to ask mommadeb if she thinks it's similar to any other wines that she has tasted.

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
losthighwayz wrote:Thanks for the feedback! Did you ever try the Skrew Kappa Napa or Toolbox Merlots offered here? Trying to gauge a flavore profile/style. Thanks

sorry, but nope, I haven't tried the Kappa Nap or Toolbox...

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
glaicius wrote:In for one. I was not too crazy about having to pay "the man" taxes, but even with that it comes to about $8.55 x bottle for me. Not quite the 57% advertised savings, but close.

On to another subject: I know that I and another couple of wooters, currently following this thread, are in the minority. But yes, the use of Joseph, Mary, Baby Jesus and others was quite inappropriate.

We all have different values, moral standards and religious views that we hold dear to our hearts. We can’t ask to sincerely respect each other if we mock or make light of what others believe in deeply for the sake of a quick laugh.

I'm not much for political correctness, but if the subject would have been the gay and lesbian community some people would be quite upset and statements on how denigrating the woot write-up was.

Respect is a two way avenue. So NO, Woot writers; contrary to what others may have stated, the write up was not deserving of a GOOD JOB! praise.

I've always wanted to be a drummer...I am horribly offended by references to the Little Drummer Boy in the write-up. Woot, can you just not do write-ups anymore, seriously, didn't you know they are offensive to the blind?

Come on people, get off your high-horse and out of the PC clouds.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

cortot20

quality posts: 152 Private Messages cortot20

I enjoyed the write-up quite a bit. Good job guys.

CT

mommadeb1

jhkey wrote:I move that the religion issue be taken to the Poli"ticks" thread here:
http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4832293&pageindex=45&replycount=1768

As for this wine, I wanted to ask mommadeb if she thinks it's similar to any other wines that she has tasted.

Can't really say it was similar as I normally drink really bold reds.... I can say that this is a good everyday light wine.. Won't overpower what you are eating...

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
mommadeb1 wrote:Can't really say it was similar as I normally drink really bold reds.... I can say that this is a good everyday light wine.. Won't overpower what you are eating...

Have you had tasi merlot? Promise I will stop at this but all three I referenced are around this price point. Thansk

"The older I get the better I was"

mommadeb1

losthighwayz wrote:Have you had tasi merlot? Promise I will stop at this but all three I referenced are around this price point. Thansk

nope haven't had that one either... sorry...

knotworking

quality posts: 11 Private Messages knotworking

Can anyone compare this to the Tasi Merlot? Everything I am reading sounds like what I read about the Tasi.

Can anyone explain how Emperor Augustus could call for a world wide census requiring everyone to return to their historical homeland and there is no non-canonical record of it?

One of those questions is harder than the other, take your pick!

cortot20

knotworking wrote:Can anyone compare this to the Tasi Merlot? Everything I am reading sounds like what I read about the Tasi.

Can anyone explain how Emperor Augustus could call for a world wide census requiring everyone to return to their historical homeland and there is no non-canonical record of it?

One of those questions is harder than the other, take your pick!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius

CT

knotworking

quality posts: 11 Private Messages knotworking
cortot20 wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Census_of_Quirinius

Yes, there were three censuses documented during Augustus' reign. None of them required subjects to return to their historic homelands. Therein lies the rub.

ryall12

quality posts: 3 Private Messages ryall12

I am on the fence, can anyone help tip me either way? My household actually likes merlot, we are finishing off some of the Pedroncelli from a previous offering (which were great) and could use a restock.

While part of me loves the great value, another part is a bit apprehensive over the super low price. Sometimes its an awesome value, sometimes cheap is cheap.
Anyone have some QPR insight here?

smeera

quality posts: 1 Private Messages smeera
donnysebas wrote:Oxygen. Then, boom! All of the sudden... Oxygen. Remember your first time experiencing something great? Like breathing? It changed you. It will change the wine.

You so belong here.

meows

free2day33611

quality posts: 2 Private Messages free2day33611
ryall12 wrote:I am on the fence, can anyone help tip me either way? My household actually likes merlot, we are finishing off some of the Pedroncelli from a previous offering (which were great) and could use a restock.

While part of me loves the great value, another part is a bit apprehensive over the super low price. Sometimes its an awesome value, sometimes cheap is cheap.

+1
Another offering at this price point that turned out pretty good value was the White Oak (Merlot and Cab mix). Has any one had both and could comment?

ERMD

quality posts: 1 Private Messages ERMD
cortot20 wrote:I enjoyed the write-up quite a bit. Good job guys.

I disagree . Very tacky, uncalled for.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
ERMD wrote:I disagree . Very tacky, uncalled for.

Can't tell if you're being serious or not.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

btuck895

quality posts: 1 Private Messages btuck895
Cesare wrote:Three Wine Men Merlot Case
$89.99 $̶2̶1̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 57% off List Price
2009 Three Wine Men California Merlot
CT link above

Winery website
  • Every winery needs a separate license from each state which is why your state isn't listed.
  • Wine Woot is no longer able to ship to Virginia. Click here for more info.
  • Sales tax is now calculated and charged at checkout for your location.

• Waaahaaiait a minute. Sales tax? What happened to sales tax not being applicable when sold/delivered out of state? That doesn't jive with "Wine is sold by winery"
    Maybe someone already covered this, but Who Trusts Felix??

btuck895

quality posts: 1 Private Messages btuck895
    ryall12 wrote:I am on the fence, can anyone help tip me either way? My household actually likes merlot, we are finishing off some of the Pedroncelli from a previous offering (which were great) and could use a restock.

I had the Pedroncelli, and the Screw Kappa Napa from Don & Sons was much better. I'm hoping for the same quality from this batch...

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 168 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

btuck895 wrote:Waaahaaiait a minute. Sales tax? What happened to sales tax not being applicable when sold/delivered out of state? That doesn't jive with "Wine is sold by winery"
    Maybe someone already covered this, but Who Trusts Felix??

from the Wine.Woot FAQ page:
    http://wine.woot.com/faq
    I noticed a sales tax charge at checkout - where does that come from?
    The wine deals featured on Wine.Woot come direct from the wineries. Each of these wineries has its own web of licensing obligations, tax policies, and local laws to deal with. So Wine.Woot calculates sales taxes on the wineries' behalf in accordance with their instructions. These instructions vary depending on the tax laws in each state.

cortot20

ERMD wrote:I disagree . Very tacky, uncalled for.

Then you live in a world where most things offend you.

CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:Then you live in a world where most things offend you.

ERMD has a dark sense of humor himself. I'd be surprised if he were actually offended.

ERMD

cortot20 wrote:Then you live in a world where most things offend you.

Only stupidity

funbunny

quality posts: 26 Private Messages funbunny
    jhkey wrote:I move that the religion issue be taken to the Poli"ticks" thread here:

That's no fun. I say add a couple more religions to the mix. Moses walks in and proclaims he is going to "part this red wine" and Vishnu is disappointed he doesn't have eight more arms so it would be easier to carry all twelve bottles.

If people think Jesus would be insulted by the story, they don't know him very well.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

kylemittskus

ERMD wrote:Only stupidity

Then you are constantly offended.

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg
    funbunny wrote:That's no fun. I say add a couple more religions to the mix. Moses walks in and proclaims he is going to "part this red wine" and Vishnu is disappointed he doesn't have eight more arms so it would be easier to carry all twelve bottles.

If people think Jesus would be insulted by the story, they don't know him very well.

That was even funnier that the Woot "mocking"...in for one!

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
    kylemittskus wrote:Then you are constantly offended.

On many different levels.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

ERMD

kylemittskus wrote:Then you are constantly offended.

Sorry, no not constantly.

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

Well... this has been an interesting day of comments. Always interesting when many of the comments are "off topic." I look forward to enjoying an everyday quaffer for a reasonable price even with the tax. I do appreciate the winery participation.
    Cheers!

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

To everybody offended by the write-up:
    Maybe have some "Three Wine Men Merlot" with that, after the second bottle you might find it funnier.

Note that there are quite some who consider consumption of alcohol not being compatible with being a proper follower of *insert your religion/faith here*. - those should not follow this forum or question their amount of alcohol consumption.

Woot is known to be often quite inappropriate. If you want appropriate, go to sold-by Amazon.

Back to the wine - I am interested in it but more tasting notes are in order.
    The spectrum from smelling rubbing alcohol to apple / cranberry ... is fascinating but can anybody confirm?
    Any references found online?

mommadeb1

Going to do day 2 tasting... be back soon....

bsevern

quality posts: 110 Private Messages bsevern

Lot of laughs in this thread...

These guys were at D&D and IIRC their PS was pretty good....I'd be willing to be you couldn't go wrong on their Merlot at this price!

mommadeb1

Ok, day 2 tasting notes:

WOW what a difference!!! It really opened up. The aroma is of cherry now, maybe some cranberry... totally different from last night....Still very light and has some tannins,but has a much richer taste.

Mom still thinks it is too tannic.

Dad said it improved.

I think it more cranberry tasting now.

The wine is definitely opening up. I had a hard time believing it was the same wine as last night.

Final verdict: This is a wine that needs to be decanted for a few hours. Once it has been decanted it is yummy!!! It is light and won't compete with food. A great everyday wine....

gtcharlie

quality posts: 6 Private Messages gtcharlie

This will not be a quality post I guarantee as I have already imbibed almost a bottle of the Tasi Chardonnay this evening which I purchased at about the same price point as this Merlot but I will say this- any wine I have purchased from Woot at this price point far exceeds what I get locally for a similar price. Push the yellow button already and good night. And yes I would buy the Tasi again.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi
    losthighwayz wrote:Have you had tasi merlot? Promise I will stop at this but all three I referenced are around this price point. Thansk

da wife loves the Tasi merlot, in fact I found a wine shop in west LA that carries it, we have made 2 trips and bought 4 cases.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 35 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Oh and BTW I believe Ol J.C. had a sense of humor in his day,.... people, get over it.

awstansbury

quality posts: 0 Private Messages awstansbury
    funbunny wrote:That's no fun. I say add a couple more religions to the mix. Moses walks in and proclaims he is going to "part this red wine" and Vishnu is disappointed he doesn't have eight more arms so it would be easier to carry all twelve bottles.

Haha, oh my, Buddy Christ -- nice! This proves that smart people drink wine. I just need to drink a little more to reach that upper echelon... one second here.. :::plock:::, ahhh, yes, where was I...

donnysebas

quality posts: 14 Private Messages donnysebas
    mommadeb1 wrote:Ok, day 2 tasting notes:

WOW what a difference!!! It really opened up. The aroma is of cherry now, maybe some cranberry... totally different from last night....Still very light and has some tannins,but has a much richer taste.

Mom still thinks it is too tannic.

Dad said it improved.

I think it more cranberry tasting now.

The wine is definitely opening up. I had a hard time believing it was the same wine as last night.

Final verdict: This is a wine that needs to be decanted for a few hours. Once it has been decanted it is yummy!!! It is light and won't compete with food. A great everyday wine....

Well, there you go! Great news. Thanks for following up!

donnysebas

quality posts: 14 Private Messages donnysebas
    smeera wrote:You so belong here.

That is a high compliment! Very flattering, thank you.

andreaserben

quality posts: 21 Private Messages andreaserben

stop flashing already, oh yellow button.