ThunderThighs

quality posts: 564 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

yorknh wrote:@#%*!

Got all excited to support a winemaker who is trying to do something different, only to be foiled by shipping limitations.

Too bad really, because I haven't ever had a white that was older than 5 years.

Have friends in other places?

FORUM MODERATOR............................ON VACATION
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
ThunderThighs wrote:Have friends in other places?

Friendless, helpless, hopeless. Well maybe not that bad, but I live and work too far away from friends in neighboring states to make it worth my time.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Clark get rid of the Wax! haha. I tried a suggestion from another winery when opening this bottle; just pull the cork through the wax they told me... Ended up with shattered wax and a broken cork, fail.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

tdedek

quality posts: 4 Private Messages tdedek
winesmith wrote:I'm jazzed that you guys are understanding this wine and getting beyond any preconceived notions I normally see when trying to sell a ten-year-old white wine that's neither the blowsy bombshell nor the simple fruit smack we get these days under the "Chardonnay" moniker.

Hey, let's change the world together. Every winemaker would play in this style if she could.

Thanks for the experience Clark! Excited to add some of this to my collection and look forward to tasting the 2003 when it arrives.

Very enjoyable/unique aged Cali Chardonnay, passion and awesome participation on the boards. No brainer for my support.

Thanks again Clark. I hope to see you around here again sometime soon. I'll be reading over this thread for the rest of the day looking for additional information you may offer up about yourself and your wines - great stuff!

Last wooter to woot:tdedek

Travis

karenlambert

quality posts: 0 Private Messages karenlambert

OK, too tempting! My first white wine purchase from Woot. I usually stick to reds...

First Sucker:Allieroon

Last Wooter to Woot:karenlambert

Last Purchase:a minute ago

tdedek

North316 wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Clark get rid of the Wax! haha. I tried a suggestion from another winery when opening this bottle; just pull the cork through the wax they told me... Ended up with shattered wax and a broken cork, fail.

+1! Not as difficult as some of the wax capsules I have had to remove in the past, but this one was annoying none the less! Probably more so with time. I ended up using the knife from a corkscrew to make the initial cut around the rim of the bottle and then used a butter knife to pop off the top of the wax to expose the cork. Sounds kind of easy, but 'popping off the top of the wax' was more like 'hack away at it over a trashcan until it gave up'.

woopdedoo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages woopdedoo
North316 wrote:Oh yeah, forgot to mention, Clark get rid of the Wax! haha. I tried a suggestion from another winery when opening this bottle; just pull the cork through the wax they told me... Ended up with shattered wax and a broken cork, fail.

Seconded.

All in favor ...

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin

D@*# you WD, you too rpm, 'cause I know you and Scott don't drink plonk. Sorry I missed the 2010 edition.
WineSmith; great to have you here expanding our knowledge and I really look forward to these.

Last Wooter to Woot:rjquillin

Is your CS AbV sampler still available?

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
loveladyelectric wrote:I'm down if he isn't.

Klez is MIA. You buy and Ill pay or I buy you pay?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

loveladyelectric

quality posts: 23 Private Messages loveladyelectric
kylemittskus wrote:Klez is MIA. You buy and Ill pay or I buy you pay?

I bought. Pay me.

mibuwolf83

quality posts: 6 Private Messages mibuwolf83

Speaking of shipping - is there a way I can delay shipping? I've been ordering alot of wine lately and they're all shipped at work. I'm getting looks and stares from my co-workers everytime I get a shipment and I'm starting to get embarrassed....

kylemittskus

loveladyelectric wrote:I bought. Pay me.

Ill have cash on the 30th. Are pesos ok?

kylemittskus

mibuwolf83 wrote:Speaking of shipping - is there a way I can delay shipping? I've been ordering alot of wine lately and they're all shipped at work. I'm getting looks and stares from my co-workers everytime I get a shipment and I'm starting to get embarrassed....

Nope. Embrace the addiction!

tdedek

mibuwolf83 wrote:Speaking of shipping - is there a way I can delay shipping? I've been ordering alot of wine lately and they're all shipped at work. I'm getting looks and stares from my co-workers everytime I get a shipment and I'm starting to get embarrassed....

They are only looking at you that way because they are waiting for you to open up those boxes and hand out some bottles!

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines

Clark Smith has changed our winemaking possibilities more than any person alive today. I for one have greatly benefited from his work.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

still waiting for Kyle to comment on the wax enclosure... On a serious note, digging the winery p[articipation...learned a lot thus far and though chards not usually my cup of tea I am very intrigued...I have been trying to figure out the difference between minerality/fizz/acidity so maybe this can clarify or help me figure out the distinction?

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

ScottHarveyWines wrote:Clark Smith has changed our winemaking possibilities more than any person alive today. I for one have greatly benefited from his work.

Oh no! The dreaded SH endorsement!

loveladyelectric

losthighwayz wrote:still waiting for Kyle to comment on the wax enclosure...

Is there an opinion to be had on this? Enlighten me!

losthighwayz

loveladyelectric wrote:Is there an opinion to be had on this? Enlighten me!

I recall that recently Kyle and a few others commented on their dislike for wax for various reasons, among them making the bottle difficult to open. I agree completely. I find these enclosures visually offensive, difficult to handle, and as merely a marketing scheme..IMO they do not add anything to the wine though I may be wrong...

klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
kylemittskus wrote:Split and trade on the 30th?

I think I'm going to go for a whole set, actually. But if there are enough people who want to combine shipping I'll add a second or third set for distribution on the 30th. Let me know. I owe most people for wine anyway at this point.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen

Re: wax capsules, I'm not a big fan but it probably does help the wine age more gracefully, assuming a proper seal is formed and not broken loose over time.

timmyjwoot

quality posts: 14 Private Messages timmyjwoot
winesmith wrote:...

Bring on the burning questions.

What would it take to get you to come to my next wine tasting party?

Seriously, this seems like an amazing offer and I'm eager to try it. In for a case.

kylemittskus

klezman wrote:I think I'm going to go for a whole set, actually. But if there are enough people who want to combine shipping I'll add a second or third set for distribution on the 30th. Let me know. I owe most people for wine anyway at this point.

We don't need you anymore! Consider this our official break up!

See you on the 30th.

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada

Sigh. First, the wine looks interesting, I do love a good Chablis. Then the wine maker chimed in with all kinds of interesting info and full disclosure of his techniques. THEN RPM said it was good (We all know RPM knows good when he tastes it!) and Scott Harvey had nice words for the wine maker. Apparently resistance is futile so I pushed the button. More boxes on their way to my daughter's house.

Speed to First Woot:
3m 41.222s
First Sucker:
Allieroon
Last Wooter to Woot:
edlada
Last Purchase:
a few seconds ago

My dogs like me, that is important.

klezman

Cesare wrote:Now that sounds good, ribs and CF.
Yes we are wine nerds and proud of it! And very happy to have you here finally.

Can you talk about the terroir of this vineyard and also the area in general and how much you think comes through in the wine. And why that is important for the wine especially as it ages. Compare and contrast to France and other regions you are familiar with.

Love it. Teacher Cesare giving a homework assignment

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

loveladyelectric

losthighwayz wrote:I recall that recently Kyle and a few others commented on their dislike for wax for various reasons, among them making the bottle difficult to open. I agree completely. I find these enclosures visually offensive, difficult to handle, and as merely a marketing scheme..IMO they do not add anything to the wine though I may be wrong...

I like them visually, don't see the issues handling, but agree they are more difficult to open. I've had a few older, harder waxed tops that had so much push back that the corkscrew tore through the cork and made a mess.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 79 Private Messages PetiteSirah

As in some sense, the spiritual godfather of this offer (I was raving about it to WD after I first tasted it in '09 at Clark's warehouse), I have to be in on this for 2, especially at this price.

I've had the '03 and '04 on several occasions, both from the barrel and from the bottle, and this is just an out-and-out steal, especially at this price.

And let's not forget that I'm the king of "Chard-OH-NO!" -- I hate the stuff that's like the bottom of a popcorn bucket sprinkled with oak dust.

This wine is incredibly structured, vibrant, clean and lithe. If the typical california chardonnay is a bleached-blonde with too much makeup and fake everything -- trying to be overly feminine -- this wine is a ballet dancer in her prime, feminine and strong from her natural beauty and years of practice and effort.

I've loved this wine since I first had it, and I'm proud to say that this is an out-and-out no brainer.

For anybody who liked the Big Orange, this is certainly worth a try, especially at this killer price. Though very different in style (not nearly as tannic, structured more by acidity and age), it's also not a typical California White, and one you'll be wishing you had much more of as it disappears from your cellar far more quickly than you want.

(I'm actually traveling for work as I type this -- writing it from a Sheraton lobby -- but I may even dust off my other name and do a second order, even though I have much too much wine. It's that good of a wine, and that good of a value)

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

rjquillin

quality posts: 173 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:I think I'm going to go for a whole set, actually. But if there are enough people who want to combine shipping I'll add a second or third set for distribution on the 30th. Let me know. I owe most people for wine anyway at this point.

You ~could~ have posted this prior to my order...

But I'll take a left-over 1/2 order should there be one.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

I don't think you owe me any money but if you buy an extra set I will take it off your hands and pay you with some of the money Kyle owes me

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

klezman

kylemittskus wrote:Klez is MIA. You buy and Ill pay or I buy you pay?

I wasn't MIA, I was sleeping! Molarchae has to wake us up at 6:30am now.

klezman

ScottHarveyWines wrote:Clark Smith has changed our winemaking possibilities more than any person alive today. I for one have greatly benefited from his work.

Which of his technologies have you used, Scott?

klezman

rjquillin wrote:You ~could~ have posted this prior to my order...

But I'll take a left-over 1/2 order should there be one.

I had to sleep on this one! Sounds like I'm ordering two - you and tytiger can argue over the remaining half order

klezman

tytiger58 wrote:I don't think you owe me any money but if you buy an extra set I will take it off your hands and pay you with some of the money Kyle owes me

That would mean I'll redirect it to Ron in all likelihood Win.

In for two, then.

rpm

quality posts: 172 Private Messages rpm

klezman - the Energizer Bunny of postings today....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

You may have already seen this advice on other threads, but a lot of people arrange to have shipments held at a convenient FedEx location. I've done it a few times, myself. IIRC, they can hold it up to 5 business days after they get it. If the logistics work for you, it's a nice way to avoid the funny looks at work.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

In for two. I'm thinking sellout here.

It was great to get to meet Clark at DnD. Bought the Diamond Ridge and now this. Hoping to see that Cab Franc which was awesome!

jhkey

quality posts: 51 Private Messages jhkey

Yes Clark,
Will we see the Cab Franc in the near future????

"I double the doctor's recommendation of a glass and a half of wine a day and even treble it with a friend."
- Thomas Jefferson (CT)

spammie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages spammie

I don't need more wine. I don't even want more wine. But I'm a sucker for a winemaker who comes on-site & provides so much information.

Speed to first woot: 3m 41.222s
First sucker:Allieroon
Last wooter to woot:spammie

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
mommadeb1 wrote:Welcome!!
LOVE to see such great winery participation!! Unfortunately, not my favorite types of wines, so I will not be purchasing today.. But, look forward to other offers in the future!!

Trust me: You've never tasted this "type of wine." You should.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
InFrom wrote:You may have already seen this advice on other threads, but a lot of people arrange to have shipments held at a convenient FedEx location. I've done it a few times, myself. IIRC, they can hold it up to 5 business days after they get it. If the logistics work for you, it's a nice way to avoid the funny looks at work.

I've started to get funny looks at both the FedEx and UPS locations.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook