neilfindswine


quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

dcubedzin wrote:There are a couple of options if the Grand Tasting is not what you enjoy. Epicuria on Thursday evening is smaller and you have a great chance to try some awesome food pairings with Zins. Also if you become a ZAP member you can get into the Grand Tasting a hour before non-members.



Hey Duane: Welcome to Woot! Can you tell us a little about these two zins? Compare and contrast? I'm curious about Howell Mtn vs. St. Helena fruit, from a winemaker's perspective...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

dcubedzin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcubedzin
neilfindswine wrote:Hey Duane: Welcome to Woot! Can you tell us a little about these two zins? Compare and contrast? I'm curious about Howell Mtn vs. St. Helena fruit, from a winemaker's perspective...



The two wines are both tasty. The Howell Mountain has more structure and complexity, but not as much forward friut. The Korte Ranch is from a 100 year old vineyard just north of the town of St. Helena. Is is rounder and has a lot of raspberry/blackberry fruit. Both are balanced wines that go with food.

gambawinery


quality posts: 3 Private Messages gambawinery

All of us at Gamba are excited to be a part of the woot Zinfandelabration and looking forward to meeting all in the woot community at ZAP in SF!

gambawinery


quality posts: 3 Private Messages gambawinery
trifecta wrote:I am going to be up tasting on W Dry Creek Road tomorrow. Was looking to see if I could stop by Gamba, but it doesn't appear they have a TR. There was no mention on the website about appointments either.



Hi Trifecta! Apologies we missed you, its a long walk from the back forty to the office, but we finally made it. You are welcome to stop by Gamba for a visit and some hospitality, just give us a heads up, email or call to set up an appointment by visiting gambawinery.com! Thank you!

marvinbeaverdip


quality posts: 3 Private Messages marvinbeaverdip

Zins! my favorite! For those that have tried these, would you recommend the alexander valley over the chatom, or can't go wrong with either?

gambawinery


quality posts: 3 Private Messages gambawinery
deckerbrian wrote:Gamba Video Plus some tasting notes

http://wineriff.com/gamba-09-estate-zin/

Appears this is for the 2009 not the 2010 offered though.



Hi! Thanks for checking out the video. The 2010s are drinking beautifully now and are very similar in style as the 2009s. We are close to sold out of all of our Zins. Let us know if you have any questions. We're happy to answer!

deckerbrian


quality posts: 16 Private Messages deckerbrian
gambawinery wrote:Hi! Thanks for checking out the video. The 2010s are drinking beautifully now and are very similar in style as the 2009s. We are close to sold out of all of our Zins. Let us know if you have any questions. We're happy to answer!



I'll be able to answer my own questions in a couple weeks. I got buzzed last night on some fine Haywood Rocky Terrace and ordered the limit on Gamba. I hope you don't disappoint me...

cotillion


quality posts: 4 Private Messages cotillion
deckerbrian wrote:I'll be able to answer my own questions in a couple weeks. I got buzzed last night on some fine Haywood Rocky Terrace and ordered the limit on Gamba. I hope you don't disappoint me...



We got the 07 Gamba RRV Zin from another site a couple years back, then did our best to find a case through distributors, as it was that good. At 15+ booze, you don't need me to tell you it's a big, extracted wine.

Can the winery representative chime in on any comparison between this and how the 07 was drinking two years ago?

gambawinery


quality posts: 3 Private Messages gambawinery
cotillion wrote:We got the 07 Gamba RRV Zin from another site a couple years back, then did our best to find a case through distributors, as it was that good. At 15+ booze, you don't need me to tell you it's a big, extracted wine.

Can the winery representative chime in on any comparison between this and how the 07 was drinking two years ago?



Thank you for searching out Gamba wines! Our goal at Gamba is to bring you the most pure expression of Zinfandel from our vineyards in the Russian River Valley with each vintage. We produced less in 2010 to ensure highest quality. The 2010s are drinking wonderfully, along the same lines as the 07s. Ultimately, you will be the judge. Please let us know what you think!

jdusiwines


quality posts: 20 Private Messages jdusiwines
sdfreedive wrote:Dang no J Dusi in here. But looks like a tasty bunch. Decisions decisions...



No Zin on Woot, just Pinot Grigio Today only!
I am saving the Zin to pour this weekend at ZAP in SF, hope to see you there!

neilfindswine


quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

...and if any Wooter is going to be in the San Francisco area this Saturday February 2nd and wants to (and is able to) go to the ZAP "Grand Tasting", send me a PM. I have a couple of tickets to pass on. First come, first served.

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

Searayjim


quality posts: 0 Private Messages Searayjim

Well I'm in for the Redemption, only because I'm also in for the J Dusi PG so it's shipped free. Otherwise, it's priced the same as a local brick and mortar chain. In all fairness, their prices are pretty good. So no tax and no shipping caught me while my wallet was open feeding the internet wine dispenser.

Winedavid39


quality posts: 197 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

gambawinery wrote:Thank you for searching out Gamba wines! Our goal at Gamba is to bring you the most pure expression of Zinfandel from our vineyards in the Russian River Valley with each vintage. We produced less in 2010 to ensure highest quality. The 2010s are drinking wonderfully, along the same lines as the 07s. Ultimately, you will be the judge. Please let us know what you think!



I'm a big fan of Gamba. Good people too. Thanks for joining us Gamba!

dcubedzin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcubedzin
jdusiwines wrote:No Zin on Woot, just Pinot Grigio Today only!
I am saving the Zin to pour this weekend at ZAP in SF, hope to see you there!



I hope to get to your table at ZAP. Are you also at Epicuria?

dcubedzin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcubedzin

I will be pouring at the Zinfandel Festival at both the Epicuria event tomorrow night and the Saturday Grand Tasting. All you Wooters come by and say hello and taste some Zins!

dcubedzin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcubedzin
neilfindswine wrote:Hey Duane: Welcome to Woot! Can you tell us a little about these two zins? Compare and contrast? I'm curious about Howell Mtn vs. St. Helena fruit, from a winemaker's perspective...



Hi Neil, The car is loaded (a lot of Zin) I am off to the Zinfandel Festival. Be sure to say hello at the D-cubed Table.

dcubedzin


quality posts: 0 Private Messages dcubedzin
dcubedzin wrote:I will be pouring at the Zinfandel Festival at both the Epicuria event tomorrow night and the Saturday Grand Tasting. All you Wooters come by and say hello and taste some Zins!



Hopefully I will meet some of the Wine Wooters at the Zinfandel Festival. Stop by the D-cubed table at Epicuira or the Grand Tasting!

neilfindswine


quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

dcubedzin wrote:Hopefully I will meet some of the Wine Wooters at the Zinfandel Festival. Stop by the D-cubed table at Epicuira or the Grand Tasting!



I wish I was going to be there, but family conflict prevents me...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

hillig


quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig

Had a great time at Epicurea tonight. Hit up D-Cubed, Scott Harvey and a few others I recognized from the WW sphere.

neilfindswine


quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

hillig wrote:Had a great time at Epicurea tonight. Hit up D-Cubed, Scott Harvey and a few others I recognized from the WW sphere.



...any tasting notes or memorable glasses?

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

hillig


quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig
neilfindswine wrote:...any tasting notes or memorable glasses?



Epicurea report

I did not make good use of my notepad as I couldn't manage to hold a wine glass, the food plate and a utensil very well. I will also point out there were a limited number of wineries pouring as many of the tables were being utilized by the food vendors. Most wineries were only pouring one or two Zin varieties.

I made it to most wineries, but not all. I recall mostly memorable wines but do not have specific tasting notes (sorry).

Event information here - http://www.zinfandel.org/default.asp?cid=1&n1=28&n2=1070

Memorable wines:
Alexander Valley - The Redemption was very good, not a huge fan of the Sin Zin

Artezin - The best Mendocino Zin I've ever had. Not a fantastic Zin, but given the appellation and price point it was notable.

Bonneau - Enjoyed

Cakebread - I didn't realize they bottled a zin, but it was very high quality

Carol Shelton - Very very good, I wrote down 'old world' style, but that's all.

D-Cubed - In my opinion generally fantastic, the Korte Ranch was very good, I picked up some from the Woot Plus. The Howell Mountain is excellent though they weren't pouring it last night.

Dry Creek Vineyard - In my opinion one of the best, most consistent Dry Creek producers, they did not let me down. Would love to see them on WW

Grgich - Another big Napa brand I did not realize made Zin, quite good, wine club only.

Hendry - Restrained, very interesting.

J Dusi Wines - Yes, the owners of the famous J. Dusi vineyard in Paso. Turley, Tobin James, etc. use their grapes. Very good, has that specific, dusty J. Dusi terroir which I cannot aptly describe.

McCay - No notes, but I drew a big smiley face on their card, so it must be good.

Outpost - Always impressive, dense mountain fruit. Prefer their Cabs though.

Peachy Canyon - Very good westside Paso example.

Ravenswood - They were pouring a 1997 vintage which showed very interesting leather notes. Not sure where'd you'd purchase that vintage though.

Robert Biale - Intriguing fruity zin

Scott Harvey - WW legend. Had a good chat with him, wasn't pouring the Inzinerator though

Seghesio - 'Freaking great' was my only tasting note.

Three Wine Company - remembered enjoying it near the end of the evening (though I had consumed much by then).

Hope this helps, I apologize again for the lack of formal tasting notes.

neilfindswine


quality posts: 167 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

hillig wrote:Epicurea report

I did not make good use of my notepad as I couldn't manage to hold a wine glass, the food plate and a utensil very well. I will also point out there were a limited number of wineries pouring as many of the tables were being utilized by the food vendors. Most wineries were only pouring one or two Zin varieties.

I made it to most wineries, but not all. I recall mostly memorable wines but do not have specific tasting notes (sorry).

Event information here - http://www.zinfandel.org/default.asp?cid=1&n1=28&n2=1070

Memorable wines:
Alexander Valley - The Redemption was very good, not a huge fan of the Sin Zin

Artezin - The best Mendocino Zin I've ever had. Not a fantastic Zin, but given the appellation and price point it was notable.

Bonneau - Enjoyed

Cakebread - I didn't realize they bottled a zin, but it was very high quality

Carol Shelton - Very very good, I wrote down 'old world' style, but that's all.

D-Cubed - In my opinion generally fantastic, the Korte Ranch was very good, I picked up some from the Woot Plus. The Howell Mountain is excellent though they weren't pouring it last night.

Dry Creek Vineyard - In my opinion one of the best, most consistent Dry Creek producers, they did not let me down. Would love to see them on WW

Grgich - Another big Napa brand I did not realize made Zin, quite good, wine club only.

Hendry - Restrained, very interesting.

J Dusi Wines - Yes, the owners of the famous J. Dusi vineyard in Paso. Turley, Tobin James, etc. use their grapes. Very good, has that specific, dusty J. Dusi terroir which I cannot aptly describe.

McCay - No notes, but I drew a big smiley face on their card, so it must be good.

Outpost - Always impressive, dense mountain fruit. Prefer their Cabs though.

Peachy Canyon - Very good westside Paso example.

Ravenswood - They were pouring a 1997 vintage which showed very interesting leather notes. Not sure where'd you'd purchase that vintage though.

Robert Biale - Intriguing fruity zin

Scott Harvey - WW legend. Had a good chat with him, wasn't pouring the Inzinerator though

Seghesio - 'Freaking great' was my only tasting note.

Three Wine Company - remembered enjoying it near the end of the evening (though I had consumed much by then).

Hope this helps, I apologize again for the lack of formal tasting notes.



Great notes! Thanks for sharing!

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

gambawinery


quality posts: 3 Private Messages gambawinery
nfurlong wrote:29 posts and not a single review, tasting note or recommondation for any of the wines offered. The silence is speaking volumes to me.



Hi Nfurlong, My name is Agostino, I am the winemaker at Gamba. Here is some info I wrote about this current Gamba offering. We are almost sold out of this wine and very pleased to have participated in this special celebration of Zin on Woot. If you want to learn more about us, please visit gambawinery.com

I hope you find the following notes helpful. Thanks, -A.

2010 Gamba Family Ranches Zinfandel, Russian River Valley

2010 Growing season:
The 2010 vintage is the coolest, foggiest summer in the Russian River Valley on record. Given this fact, the year brought its challenges to say the least. The threat of mildew and botrytis were extremely high during most of the season. And, suddenly as we approached harvest, Mother Nature offered up a scorching heat spike.
Careful canopy management however, saved our overall crop from the unusual weather. We were extremely vigilant in the vineyard, watching over our blocks and working continually to insure the best fruit possible from the vintage. Early in the season, we thinned the canopy, and our crop load was diminished by dropping fruit to encourage ripening and air circulation. By late August, when the heat came down, some varieties were decimated by sun burn on the valley floor. Luckily, our efforts allowed enough of the vine canopy to remain and shade the fruit so that we had virtually no heat damage during the devastating heat spike. Thankfully, the weather was ideal for the remainder of the season for ripening the grapes. The silver lining to the season was due to our diligence in the vineyard, and extreme thinning of the fruit. This action focused the vine’s energy on what little fruit remained, yielding fruit with incredible intensity and depth of flavor. The ideal ripening conditions during the end of season months allowed fantastic flavor development without excessive sugars, giving us full flavored wines with balanced alcohol levels. The drawn-out and dry harvest period provided plenty of time for extended maceration, fully extracting color and flavors from the skins. The resulting wines although very limited in quantity, are high in quality, and produced flavors that are rich, complex and gripping, yet well balanced.
Winemaking:
The whole berries undergo a cool, extended maceration, prior to fermentation with indigenous yeast, to generate skin contact and extract fruit character. The must is then carefully transferred into small oak barrels. It is then allowed to age and mature in new American oak for twelve to sixteen months before bottling. During the entire winemaking process, the grapes, juice, and wine are minimally handled. The finished wine is our attempt at bringing to your table the true expression of the vintage, site and the unique flavor character of each vineyard.
Tasting Notes:
Sourced from several sites in the heart of the Russian River Valley, the grapes are vinified in our traditional style; vineyard lots were fermented separately to highlight the distinctive characteristics and unique flavor profiles of this world famous growing region. Dark ruby-garnet in color, this classic Russian River Zinfandel shows aromas of boysenberry, raspberry, spice, and pepper. Deep and full-bodied, the Family Ranches Zinfandel is balanced with excellent acidity: a powerful, rich and concentrated wine, with flavors of stone fruits, black plum, and nectarine that build through the lingering finish. This lovely wine can certainly be enjoyed now, and will continue to develop with bottle age over the next several years.
Salute!


hillig


quality posts: 10 Private Messages hillig
gambawinery wrote:
Tasting Notes:
a powerful, rich and concentrated wine, with flavors of stone fruits, black plum, and nectarine



Stone fruits? Does this mean apricots and peaches?

gambawinery


quality posts: 3 Private Messages gambawinery
hillig wrote:Stone fruits? Does this mean apricots and peaches?



Hi hilig!

Yes, stone fruits refers to large pitted fruit, such as nectarine, peach and the like. In this case, nectarine in particular. Thanks for the question, enjoy....