jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson

Speed to First Woot: 0m 44.772s First Sucker:PetiteSirah Last Wooter to Woot:jmdavidson Last Purchase:3 minutes ago
+3

OUGHT O BUY: DID!

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
stillmanbrown wrote:Monthly reports plus 8% sales tax. Smuggle!

That's a bit cryptic. Is NH now charging you an 8% tax plus you have to provide them with monthly reports? Is that on top of license fees?

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 141 Private Messages stillmanbrown
yorknh wrote:That's a bit cryptic. Is NH now charging you an 8% tax plus you have to provide them with monthly reports? Is that on top of license fees?

Yes.

srwatters

quality posts: 0 Private Messages srwatters

I'm in for two (4). I really enjoyed the Black Zeppelin and looking forward to these.

stillmanbrown

srwatters wrote:I'm in for two (4). I really enjoyed the Black Zeppelin and looking forward to these.

thankyouverymush.

crunchybrownstar

quality posts: 1 Private Messages crunchybrownstar

I won't lie. The review convinced me. Four of these yummy elixirs will soon have a home in the chill chest.

yorknh

quality posts: 3 Private Messages yorknh
stillmanbrown wrote:Yes.

Well then, I guess it's time to start Rainbow Dashing that this new development is interfering with our "Live free or die" way of life.

Thanks for the specifics.

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

Just want to add -- YMMV.

Stillman did tell me that the bottle I got was before bottle shock set in. But it also made it over from California overnight, so it had to deal with some crazy travel shock, not like taking it out of your bin and opening it.

Glad to see that lots of you are jumping in on this insane deal.

I generally agree with Stillman on the drinking window, but I'll still be stashing at least one bottle to see how it does after 20+ years (assuming I'm still alive then).

Stillman -- when are we going to do my Redheaded Stepchild PS?

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

stillmanbrown

yorknh wrote:Well then, I guess it's time to start Rainbow Dashing that this new development is interfering with our "Live free or die" way of life.

Thanks for the specifics.

At the rate the states are going, I'm going to have to resume shipping "ceramics".

stillmanbrown

PetiteSirah wrote:Just want to add -- YMMV.

Stillman did tell me that the bottle I got was before bottle shock set in. But it also made it over from California overnight, so it had to deal with some crazy travel shock, not like taking it out of your bin and opening it.

Glad to see that lots of you are jumping in on this insane deal.

I generally agree with Stillman on the drinking window, but I'll still be stashing at least one bottle to see how it does after 20+ years (assuming I'm still alive then).

Stillman -- when are we going to do my Redheaded Stepchild PS?

I'll introduce you to Kent and Shauna Rosenblum - or they'll introduce us, as you and I haven't actually met - and then you can convince them to let go of a ton or two of their best PS fruit. But how am I going to make a red wine out of purple grapes?

cortot20

quality posts: 162 Private Messages cortot20
stillmanbrown wrote:Some of the time, yes. (In other cases I ask a small grower to plant one acre of something.) And larger than me, isn't saying very much. This wine is just over a ton of Petite combined with a bit of Colossus.

I think a ton is considered the bare minimum to get fermentation and all that good stuff going. Or maybe it's a half ton.

What did the colossus add to the wine that you felt the PS needed?

CT

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 42 Private Messages fredrinaldi

Received my Fizzy Cab the other day and popped one open yesterday
ran thru my Vinturi, into my carafe, poured about 1/4 glass, looked normal, but first sip fizzzzzzz, weird, not a bad after taste & could tell it had promise. After about 2hrs sitting the fizz vanished, the rest of the wine was very good and I am glad I made the purchase. Happy Friday all.

stillmanbrown

fredrinaldi wrote:Received my Fizzy Cab the other day and popped one open yesterday
ran thru my Vinturi, into my carafe, poured about 1/4 glass, looked normal, but first sip fizzzzzzz, weird, not a bad after taste & could tell it had promise. After about 2hrs sitting the fizz vanished, the rest of the wine was very good and I am glad I made the purchase. Happy Friday all.

Interesting, did they say why the wine had dissolved CO2? If it was just trailing sugar fermentation of less than half a percent finished by saccaromyces yeast, it's usually harmless - same with overenthusiastic CO2 adjustment before bottling. What's nasty is when there are wild bugs or yeast finishing a sugar and/or malolactic fermentation. Then the fizz stinks.

jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
fredrinaldi wrote:Received my Fizzy Cab the other day and popped one open yesterday

This should probably get posted to a different forum page. But, my review concurs with your assessment. Let it sit, then drink it. For the money, no one could have gone wrong with this purchase.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
cortot20 wrote:Stillman, I noticed you only produced 89 cases of this. Where do you get your fruit that you can produce such small lots of wine without owning a vineyard.? Do you consult for larger wineries/vineyards to get access to the fruit you want?

Interested in one?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

rlmanzo

quality posts: 24 Private Messages rlmanzo
PetiteSirah wrote:Wow, are you guys in for a treat today.

Stillman is an insta-buy for me. I don't care about the varietal, I'll generally buy whatever he makes, because he's awesome and talented.

But this... this...

This is by far his best PS yet. And I've had every Black Zeppelin he's sold on here, some he hasn't, and some of the other Stillman wines (Stillmen?).

This is truly exceptional. Sure, it's pricier than the Black Zeppelin, but there's a reason that a BMW 7 series costs more than the 3 series.

I was lucky enough to be vol-ratted a bottle of this wine. And the travel shock didn't slow it a bit.

I decanted it for several hours, and the nose is incredible, despite shipping today. After several hours, when first poured into the glass, there were notes of tart cranberry and some meat juice, from game cooked on seasoned cast iron -- just that bit of umami and hint of a tang. On the palate, those flavors went into the background, joined by animale, as dominant dark berry flavors came to the fore.

As the wine opened, more notes came and it softened, but never became the least bit flabby. More craisins and dried blueberries on the nose, umami and venison with some currant, the hint of iron fading further.

It changed notably as it opened, but went from great to grand, enjoyable the entire time. A complex, and masterful wine, that, the entire time, had multiple notes at different end of the spectrum, hints of coffee and game meat and dried berries, not just adjacent flavors.

To me the really impressive thing about this wine is that even as it softened, there is not even a hint of flab -- the oak is used with a very subtle hand. And, as is Stillman's style, it punches below its weight, alcohol-wise. The tannins are certainly there (it's PS, after all), but not dominant, restrained for a PS, especially at this age.

I've had a hell of a lot of PS, and this is now easily in my top tier. To give you long-time wooters some perspective, I enjoyed this more than any of Kent's PS (with the possible exception of the '01 Reserve), but it was even more complex than that, with flavor combinations and intricacies not often found in PS.

This is by far Stillman's best wine I've tried, his magnum opus to date. It's a wine that any of us should be proud to associate with in any way, and one that properly bears Stillman's name.

Well done, my friend. Well done.

(Needless to say, snatch this up. You won't be disappointed.)

Holy Crap....So you say it was, decent, pretty good, acceptible....

Those are compelling words dude.

Is it broke or just fractured?

bobrush12866

quality posts: 8 Private Messages bobrush12866

Zeppelin Stillman Petite Sirah (2)
Speed to First Woot: 0m 44.772s
First Sucker: PetiteSirah
Last Wooter to Woot: bobrush12866
Last Purchase: a few seconds ago

Can't resist Stillman's wines...In for 2!

cynthylee

quality posts: 9 Private Messages cynthylee

I've been a very good girl with no purchases for ages, and Stillman is so hard to resist! Two bottles for me, two bottles for my friend who is in the midst of sommelier training.
Cheers!

stillmanbrown

Well, I have to get on the road, so if you have burning questions, text me at 805-550-6492. It's a pita to chat on my smartphone. I'll be back in a few/several hours, depending on what the rock stars are up to . . .

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Interested in one?

I am. But I shouldn't.
Trying to keep purchases to under $20 a bottle while my wife and I try to figure out our new single income household budget.

CT

inkycatz

quality posts: 105 Private Messages inkycatz
jmdavidson wrote:This should probably get posted to a different forum page. But, my review concurs with your assessment. Let it sit, then drink it. For the money, no one could have gone wrong with this purchase.

This is a good place for the Fizzy review.

I'm just hanging out, really.

stillmanbrown

Oh, and thanks for buying my swill, apologies for the semi-immoderate price, and get on my email list please. Direct offers, party notices, stupid pictures, etc etc. Link to my email is at ZeppelinWinery.com

Blog is at
StillmanBrown.com

Just think how much higher my prices would be, or unavailable at current prices, if I didn't make a habit of insulting humorless and overrated wine critics!

stillmanbrown

cortot20 wrote:I am. But I shouldn't.
Trying to keep purchases to under $20 a bottle while my wife and I try to figure out our new single income household budget.

Well, you can always average them out . . .

inkycatz

stillmanbrown wrote:Smuggle!

Psst, I hear they call it "wootlegging" around here... but since I enjoyed the Pink Zeppelin so much over the holidays I'm willing to look the other way...

Raid

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Raid

Darn! Said I wasn't going to do it. I was going to WALK AWAY from this. But noooooooo, I had to read the comments. I too am a Stillman fan. Especially his Black Zepps. Got me hooked on the 2007. I have bought everything that he has produced that has come up on Woot. And this, this was going to be the one I walked away from... WELL, I lied to myself. I can't just walk away from you Stillman. IN FOR ONE!!

emmy83

quality posts: 9 Private Messages emmy83

So I'm getting married in October, and instead of a unity candle, we are going to write letters to each other and then seal them in a wooden box with a bottle of wine.

We will then open the box, read the letters and drink the wine on our 25th wedding anniversary.

I don't yet have a wine fridge. If I keep this in a normal fridge for 10 months or so will that cause damage to the wine? Am I better off just keeping it in the basement until we get a wine fridge?

lloydrj

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lloydrj

This comment applies to wine Woot in general. I've placed many woot and wine woot orders and up until now, I have found their customer service to be great.

I ordered the mixed case of Clif wines last year and only received five bottles of white and six bottles of the red. ONE white bottle was missing.

I've contacted woot several times and also emailed the Clif winery.

Too date, I have not heard back from Woot or Clif vineyards.

So, be careful with your wine orders - if something goes wrong, you may not be helped by Woot or the winery.

btphillips

quality posts: 4 Private Messages btphillips
emmy83 wrote:So I'm getting married in October, and instead of a unity candle, we are going to write letters to each other and then seal them in a wooden box with a bottle of wine.

We will then open the box, read the letters and drink the wine on our 25th wedding anniversary.

I don't yet have a wine fridge. If I keep this in a normal fridge for 10 months or so will that cause damage to the wine? Am I better off just keeping it in the basement until we get a wine fridge?

Basement should be fine. 55degF is the optimal wine storage temp

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy

I'm wondering if someone can compare this to Ne Cede Malis from Stag's Leap.

Ne Cede Malis is my all-time favorite petite sirah so far. I like it and the regular Stag's Leap petite sirah a little bit better than, say, the KR Esoterica PS that I've bought from woot. And, I like Ne Cede Malis better than Black Zeppelin, but if my memory serves me correctly, I liked BZ better than the KR E PS.

Thoughts? Ne Cede Malis is roughly a $65 bottle of PS. We're getting these Stillmans for $32.50 a bottle, but the list price is $57.27, which is getting it up to the range of Ne Cede Malis in terms of original price.

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

PS did a great review of this PS. I shouldn't have read it, since now I want to buy this. But SIWBM must stand.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

cortot20 wrote:I am. But I shouldn't.

Dude. I'm in the same boat. And now when SWMBO says this exact thing, I can't use the excuse, "I never thought of that..."

inkycatz

lloydrj wrote:This comment applies to wine Woot in general. I've placed many woot and wine woot orders and up until now, I have found their customer service to be great.

I ordered the mixed case of Clif wines last year and only received five bottles of white and six bottles of the red. ONE white bottle was missing.

I've contacted woot several times and also emailed the Clif winery.

Too date, I have not heard back from Woot or Clif vineyards.

So, be careful with your wine orders - if something goes wrong, you may not be helped by Woot or the winery.

Actually, we're more than happy to help if we can. First of all, you may want to check your spam folder! If you received an automated case number from support@woot.com, that means they've gotten your request and should be following up within 1-2 business days. We of course, can't speak for our various wineries (many who likely take breaks over the holiday season).

If you've checked your spam folder, please send your order # and user name to support@woot.com again and keep us posted.

If it's fixable, they'll do their best to make that happen for you.

PetiteSirah

mbuffy wrote:I'm wondering if someone can compare this to Ne Cede Malis from Stag's Leap.

Ne Cede Malis is my all-time favorite petite sirah so far. I like it and the regular Stag's Leap petite sirah a little bit better than, say, the KR Esoterica PS that I've bought from woot. And, I like Ne Cede Malis better than Black Zeppelin, but if my memory serves me correctly, I liked BZ better than the KR E PS.

Thoughts? Ne Cede Malis is roughly a $65 bottle of PS. We're getting these Stillmans for $32.50 a bottle, but the list price is $57.27, which is getting it up to the range of Ne Cede Malis in terms of original price.

I do love the Ne Cede Malis -- it's really classic, traditional PS that's helped by being a very PS-heavy field blend.

I think this is certainly a better value at the woot price, but may not last as long as the NCM. I certainly like this better than the standard Stag's Leap (which is classic). With that, you know what you're getting every time. It's a well-made wine, but especially with the regular Stag's Leap, there's certainly a few other producers who make very similar wine at around the same price.

One thing I really loved about this wine was how unique the flavor combinations were -- not just the particular notes, but the combinations I don't often find together in the same wine.

You won't be disappointed if you go in on this purchase.

PetiteSirah

klezman wrote:PS did a great review of this PS. I shouldn't have read it, since now I want to buy this. But SIWBM must stand.

If you're really nice, maybe Stillman will bring a bottle to the afterparty this year...

mbuffy

quality posts: 3 Private Messages mbuffy
PetiteSirah wrote:I do love the Ne Cede Malis -- it's really classic, traditional PS that's helped by being a very PS-heavy field blend.

I think this is certainly a better value at the woot price, but may not last as long as the NCM. I certainly like this better than the standard Stag's Leap (which is classic). With that, you know what you're getting every time. It's a well-made wine, but especially with the regular Stag's Leap, there's certainly a few other producers who make very similar wine at around the same price.

One thing I really loved about this wine was how unique the flavor combinations were -- not just the particular notes, but the combinations I don't often find together in the same wine.

You won't be disappointed if you go in on this purchase.

Thanks very much. You gave me exactly what I needed. I'm now clicking the stupidly large button to purchase. :-)

radparker

quality posts: 1 Private Messages radparker

I have to say, Woot seems to be trying to get the average cost of bottle up significantly, based on the wine.woots I've been seeing lately. I'm sure it's a very nice wine, but consider this my vote for more value-priced deals. Loved the Tasi Merlot, for example.

PetiteSirah

radparker wrote:I have to say, Woot seems to be trying to get the average cost of bottle up significantly, based on the wine.woots I've been seeing lately. I'm sure it's a very nice wine, but consider this my vote for more value-priced deals. Loved the Tasi Merlot, for example.

I actually disagree. I've been buying a lot less, because while we've seen about the same number of high-end bottles, we've seen way more lower-end bottles instead of good deals in the mid-range.

This one is a solid upper mid-range selection, and it's great to see it on here.

kylemittskus

PetiteSirah wrote:I actually disagree. I've been buying a lot less, because while we've seen about the same number of high-end bottles, we've seen way more lower-end bottles instead of good deals in the mid-range.

This one is a solid upper mid-range selection, and it's great to see it on here.

I agree with this.

cortot20

kylemittskus wrote:Dude. I'm in the same boat. And now when SWMBO says this exact thing, I can't use the excuse, "I never thought of that..."

Unfortunately someone has to be the responsible one around here.

CT

darkyouth

quality posts: 0 Private Messages darkyouth

Stillman makes awesome wine. I haven't been as active as I used to be, trying to conserve funds, almost bought 3...but showed a little restraint and got 2. Excited to try these out as I love the zeppelins.

SB, when will you start up a wine club so we can just have these auto-bought/shipped to us without having to troll woot?