DSal

quality posts: 1 Private Messages DSal
North316 wrote:We use both, and many use a combination of the two (some Vinturi into the decanter, or vice versa). It really a matter how much time you have. If you are in a hurry or just haven't thought ahead, the Vinturi works, just not always as well as the decanter. Some wines need a serious decanting (6-8 hours) and the Vinturi just can't help much in those situations. I like having both, but sometimes I don't use either of them. I typically like to pull the bottle out of the cooler , uncork it and let it breath in the bottle while we are cooking dinner. That method generally works for me, but some wines just need a little bit more.

Just a note, I have this decanter and like it a lot. It thick, heavy and sturdy, and aesthetically pleasing. I haven't had any problem with chipping, though there were definitely a few minor imperfections in the glass when it arrived; likely just a result of the hand-blowing process.

Also for all those who have issues cleaning it...just don't leave it out over night? Drink the wine, rinse it out well, and your done.

TY so much this is very helpful!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
true559 wrote:Nice looking decanter. Have had real bad luck when it comes to glass items shipped to me so have to pass.

Out of all of us veterans who have ordered these, often multiple times, I don't think one of us has ever had an issue.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
kylemittskus wrote:Out of all of us veterans who have ordered these, often multiple times, I don't think one of us has ever had an issue.

+1 ordered three times..no issues.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

NedDawg

quality posts: 34 Private Messages NedDawg

Is there a consensus on whether "Deep punt increases surface area"? I see how it exposes more glass to wine, but I want to expose wine to more air.

noslensj

quality posts: 42 Private Messages noslensj
NedDawg wrote:Is there a consensus on whether "Deep punt increases surface area"? I see how it exposes more glass to wine, but I want to expose wine to more air.

Only to the extent that the decanter flares outward at the liquid level (which means that the cross-sectional area of decanter is larger at higher liquid levels), and there is enough wine in the decanter to completely submerge the punt. Then the wine will be exposed to more air because the surface area of the wine will be greater. If the punt is not not submerged, the surface area will be less.

It's also not impossible that the punt could create some added aeration during filling if one simply glugs the wine into the decanter. But the punt isn't going to make any difference if the wine is carefully transferred to the decanter.

If one swirls the decanter after transferring the wine to promote aeration, the punt will reduce aeration by hindering bulk mixing of the wine in the decanter during swirling.

In my opinion, aeration is not a consideration in buying the decanter. But get it for the ergonomic punt and the ease of handling.

I know that after going through several more traditional decanters, I punted those and got a somewhat similar that is ergonomic.

Chargerrt500

quality posts: 5 Private Messages Chargerrt500

Mrs. Chargerrt500 opened hers this morning from Santa. It has a 1/2 etched scratch in the glass. Contacting Woot Santa for a replacement.

mattincinci

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mattincinci

gave this as a christmas gift...it was beautiful...perfect gift