EddyGurge

quality posts: 9 Private Messages EddyGurge

Nope, can't pass this up.

wootfertexas

quality posts: 2 Private Messages wootfertexas

Sold! All the rave reviews on here, should be a good buy.

trifecta

quality posts: 71 Private Messages trifecta
derchwooting wrote:<-- Possible first time wine.woot purchase

My closet is full of woot shirts, but this could be my first wine buy. I'm a wine Skippy Squirrel and recently started enjoying old vine Zin but have only had what I can find at the grocery store (Gnarly Head, Ravenwood, and my favorite so far... 4 Vines). After reading the comments it sounds like I should be blown away by this Scott Harvey offering, can anyone compare his wines to those I've mentioned above?

Also, I don't have a wine cellar. I have a finished basement but nothing with a controlled environment. How should I store these bottles? And Scott mentions this is a 12-year wine, does that mean I have to (or should) wait 12 years before consuming? I assume it will get better with age towards 12 years, but what about drinking it next month? As a pre-release for 2009 when would I actually receive it?

Thanks in advance for my simpleton questions : -)

Welcome!
The stuff from the grocery store is probably sweeter than this wine, but yes you should be blown away if those are your standards. It will be far more complex. You will get the wine in the standard woot time frame (about 2 weeks ish). Pre release simply means that Scott has not fully released this at the winery yet.

As for storage, your basement should be fine. Try to tuck it in a corner that doesn't see the swings from your heating/cooling system. You can just leave it in the box it comes in, which will provide additional insulation from temperature fluctuations Scott commented on drink now. See his post.

Thanks for joining the discussion!

bradsbabe

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bradsbabe

My first Scott Harvey purchase!

specsmachine

quality posts: 31 Private Messages specsmachine
derchwooting wrote:I'm a wine Skippy Squirrel...

This made me laugh!

danaswan

quality posts: 5 Private Messages danaswan

In for 1, simply could not pass this one up, with all your great reviews!

Thanks Wine-Wooters for your insight as always!

You all have helped in my wine education! :-)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
crosa wrote:What's the little launch icon mean?

That means it's a wine that hasn't been offered to anyone else yet.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bskuared

quality posts: 11 Private Messages bskuared

Last wine purchase for awhile...saving for my trip to Italy! But,could not pass this up. Sounds yummy.

food. italy. food. italy. wine. books. travel. food. genealogy. food. wine. italy. food. get. the. idea?

San Clemente · http://www.italyandme.com

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
specsmachine wrote:This made me laugh!

Ditto. Mostly because we don't see that filter that much over here. But it's nice to welcome someone new to the fold!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

liverman

quality posts: 16 Private Messages liverman
ScottHarveyWines wrote:
This 2009 is actually a pre-release. We are just starting to move from the 2008 to the 2009. The wine has been in bottle for 6 months. It is drinking well now with a young bright red fruit character. It is made to be a 12 year wine with its 3.54pH that will change and develop as time goes by.

I went ahead and grabbed a couple of these based on all the positive comments. I am lucky enbough to have the cellar speace and I am planning to keep some of these for the next decade plus and see how they evolve.

Scott - Here is my first learner's question - when you say it is "made to be a twelve year wine", does that mean twelve years from the vintage date on the bottle (2009+12=2021) or twelve years from the date it was bottled (July 2011 + 12 = July 2023) or twelve years from now (Jan 2012 + 12 = Jan 2024).

Second learner's question - I undertand your comment to mean that the wine is expected by your design to improve in complexity and character over twelve years. Twelve years is the peak. At that time, no significant further improvement is expected. Will the wine begin to degrade in complexity and character after the twelve year mark or should it hold? I understand that cellar conditions will effect this, but assume ideal cellaring conditions for the sake of my question.

Always looking to learn...

Thanks for your time in answering my questions.

Greg

Regards,

Greg

psmurf

quality posts: 1 Private Messages psmurf

Good- no Forte, so in for a set.

Scott Harvey 2009 Reserve Old Vine Zinfandel - 4 Pack
Current numbers (updated each minute)
First sucker: MarkDaSpark
Speed to first woot: 1m 13.057s
Last wooter to woot: psmurf

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice."
Neil Peart(of Rush)

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
liverman wrote:Always looking to learn...

Greg

Not to step on Scott's toes -- I'm sure he'll jump, in as well -- but here's my take. The drinking window is from vintage date so 2009 + 12. As for those 12 years, the wine will literally change in flavor profile, mouthfeel, perception of acid, etc. When the wine will peak is a question of taste and not science. After that 12 years (this is where I'm guessing a bit as to Scott's intention), the wine will continue to change, but not for the better. It will start to go downhill, as they say. Some people here enjoy their wines with substantial age. As far as zins, ddeuddeg enjoys his zins with years on them. Others enjoy the vibrant flavor profile that they exhibit in their youth. It's up to you when you should drink these. I think that drinking one every three years, however, would be an incredibly educational exercise.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

HeartbreakRidge

quality posts: 7 Private Messages HeartbreakRidge
ScottHarveyWines wrote:This wine didn't need any Forte to smooth it out. I have to admit, I'm moving away from adding Forte to the wine. You'll still see it in the InZinerator and One Last Kiss, but not anymore in our dry reds.

I adore my InZin's because they are different than any other wines I have and sometimes I'm just in the mood for that sweetly mellow touch, so please, keep making 'em!

In the meantime, I'll buy this too.

jveauthier

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jveauthier

Easy choice, love Scott Harvey wines, never been disappointed and very excited about a Reserve Zin, in for 2! Would love to see some Barbera this week too!

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

In 4 One. This is a gotta buy. The Harveys are the kind of people we want to do business with and the fact that their wine is delicious is a real bonus. Did y'all get in on their recent email discount with free shipping on 6 (got the Barbera and Syrah). A couple of months ago I complained to Jana about high shipping costs (to NY), and look what she's done for us. Thank you Jana. See you in Sutter Creek this summer.

martmann4

quality posts: 14 Private Messages martmann4
Malink wrote:Scott Harvey never fails to disappoint. This will be an autobuy for many many wooters. Scott Harvey is a very respected winemaker in the woot community. His Rieslings and Zins are fantastic. My personal favorite is the Jana Cathedral table wine blend. Do yourself a favor, if you've never had a good Zin before then press the big yellow button. You won't be disappointed.

Kind of contradictory, eh?

Learn how to post a link:
[url]THE WEB ADDRESS[/url]
11 extra keystrokes, that show you care.

http://www.woot.com/Forums/languages/en-US/docs/bbcode.aspx <Like that.

ScottHarveyWines

quality posts: 152 Private Messages ScottHarveyWines
derchwooting wrote:<-- Possible first time wine.woot purchase

My closet is full of woot shirts, but this could be my first wine buy. I'm a wine Skippy Squirrel and recently started enjoying old vine Zin but have only had what I can find at the grocery store (Gnarly Head, Ravenwood, and my favorite so far... 4 Vines). After reading the comments it sounds like I should be blown away by this Scott Harvey offering, can anyone compare his wines to those I've mentioned above?

Also, I don't have a wine cellar. I have a finished basement but nothing with a controlled environment. How should I store these bottles? And Scott mentions this is a 12-year wine, does that mean I have to (or should) wait 12 years before consuming? I assume it will get better with age towards 12 years, but what about drinking it next month? As a pre-release for 2009 when would I actually receive it?

Thanks in advance for my simpleton questions : -)

All of the Old Vine Zinfandels you mention are a little more in the new world style. They will be bigger in alcohol and more fruit forward. A little more like our InZinerator. They are all well made wines. Four Vines uses some of the fruit from Vineyard 1869 as well.

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

For some reason I can't post comments using Firefox mobile...anybody have that problem?

Glad to see Scott back, and even happier to see that there's no port in the 2009. I've been working on my stash of the 2006 Reserve Zin and it seems that the Forte is currently taking a dominant role. I wonder if I should let them sit a while longer and they'll come back around to the Zin goodness...any thoughts Scott?

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

martmann4 wrote:Kind of contradictory, eh?

??

martmann4

kylemittskus wrote:??

"Never fails to disappoint..."

"...You wont be disappointed"

Still confused?

ScottHarveyWines

liverman wrote:I went ahead and grabbed a couple of these based on all the positive comments. I am lucky enbough to have the cellar speace and I am planning to keep some of these for the next decade plus and see how they evolve.

Scott - Here is my first learner's question - when you say it is "made to be a twelve year wine", does that mean twelve years from the vintage date on the bottle (2009+12=2021) or twelve years from the date it was bottled (July 2011 + 12 = July 2023) or twelve years from now (Jan 2012 + 12 = Jan 2024).

Second learner's question - I undertand your comment to mean that the wine is expected by your design to improve in complexity and character over twelve years. Twelve years is the peak. At that time, no significant further improvement is expected. Will the wine begin to degrade in complexity and character after the twelve year mark or should it hold? I understand that cellar conditions will effect this, but assume ideal cellaring conditions for the sake of my question.

Always looking to learn...

Greg

12 year wine, means from the vintage date. After 12 years the wine will probably decline. All wines have a life span, it is always sad to open a bottle where you missed it and it is over the hill. Better to drink it on the way up than on the way down. A wine like this one will go through different stages. Right now it is in the young red fruit stage and is aroma rich. In about two years the tannins will hook up developing longer but fewer tannins which will develop bottle bouquet moving the wine from being aroma rich to bouquet rich. Aromas are those things you smell from the grape variety and vineyard. Bouquet are those things you smell from the winemaking process.

kylemittskus

martmann4 wrote:"Never fails to disappoint..."

"...You wont be disappointed"

Still confused?

??

Just kidding. I didn't read carefully enough. Football watching and all.

ScottHarveyWines

klezman wrote:For some reason I can't post comments using Firefox mobile...anybody have that problem?

Glad to see Scott back, and even happier to see that there's no port in the 2009. I've been working on my stash of the 2006 Reserve Zin and it seems that the Forte is currently taking a dominant role. I wonder if I should let them sit a while longer and they'll come back around to the Zin goodness...any thoughts Scott?

We had a 2006 the other night with friends and the Forte is marrying in. It will blend in more and more as time goes by.

joeliquor

quality posts: 0 Private Messages joeliquor
ScottHarveyWines wrote:We have a shareholder in Australia and Bill Crowe, who some of you remember is now making wine in Australia. Through the Australian plant science department we exported zinfandel cuttings from Vineyard 1869 which are now growing in Australia.

I'll have to find a way to get back for work when those are ready down the road.

My visit to the vineyard in Australia this past spring was a great experience. The family was unbelievably friendly and accommodating. I got to jump in and help press a couple of bins in the manual press. Bill mentioned Scott keeps one of these as a decoration in his lawn. ;)

It was evident in the short time Bill has been there, he was applying a lot of what he learned at SH to those grapes. The Riesling I tasted mid-fermentation is going to be excellent.

redredwine67

quality posts: 14 Private Messages redredwine67
ScottHarveyWines wrote:Ohio has to be in. That is where Jana is from, east side of Cleveland. The family would be disappointed if they could not get in on the woot deal.
This 2009 is actually a pre-release. We are just starting to move from the 2008 to the 2009. The wine has been in bottle for 6 months. It is drinking well now with a young bright red fruit character. It is made to be a 12 year wine with its 3.54pH that will change and develop as time goes by.

Maybe Scott or somebody else can answer this. Does the PH go up or down when it's in the bottle? And how much does it change?

martmann4

kylemittskus wrote:??

Just kidding. I didn't read carefully enough. Football watching and all.

I thought I was reading the first anti-Harvey post I'd ever seen, then realized it was just a typo.

Think I'll get some.

ScottHarveyWines

joeliquor wrote:I'll have to find a way to get back for work when those are ready down the road.

My visit to the vineyard in Australia this past spring was a great experience. The family was unbelievably friendly and accommodating. I got to jump in and help press a couple of bins in the manual press. Bill mentioned Scott keeps one of these as a decoration in his lawn. ;)

It was evident in the short time Bill has been there, he was applying a lot of what he learned at SH to those grapes. The Riesling I tasted mid-fermentation is going to be excellent.

Bill and Jamie where just here over the holidays and the Four Winds Riesling turned out great. Maybe it had to do with you helping out with the pressing. The basket press setting in front of our house I used for making wine back in 1974.

jaschuyler

quality posts: 2 Private Messages jaschuyler

Any chance you still have one of your 2011 woot holiday mixed cases left? My husband was just mentioning that he'd loved most of the wines in that offering (the Barbera in particular) and we missed Wooting that day.

In any case, off to buy one of these! We've liked all the Scott Harveys we've had.

joeliquor

I guess yesterday's Malbec not being available in IL was an omen that I'd need to spend money today.

Now the issue is how many sets? I'm out of room (condo's aren't conducive to unlimited wine storage).

Decisions, decisions...

joeliquor

ScottHarveyWines wrote:Bill and Jamie where just here over the holidays and the Four Winds Riesling turned out great. Maybe it had to with you helping out with the pressing. The basket press setting in front of our house I used for making wine back in 1974.

Wish I could take credit, but if my pressing of Sangio resulted in an excellent Riesling, then I better buy winery since my skills are magical! LOL

ScottHarveyWines

jaschuyler wrote:Any chance you still have one of your 2011 woot holiday mixed cases left? My husband was just mentioning that he'd loved most of the wines in that offering (the Barbera in particular) and we missed Wooting that day.

In any case, off to buy one of these! We've liked all the Scott Harveys we've had.

Sorry, those sold fast. As usual, woot does a great job finding us good wines at a great price. I do get a few complaints from Jana, everytime another box from woot shows up.

jimdish25

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jimdish25

Wish I could be in and I'm dead outta Zin. Never had Scott Harvey before and really bummed. Don't see CT on the ship list. Not sure why I can order from just about everyone else but and have shipped but not on WW. Thought those issues were solved in my state years ago.

kylemittskus

jimdish25 wrote:Wish I could be in and I'm dead outta Zin. Never had Scott Harvey before and really bummed. Don't see CT on the ship list. Not sure why I can order from just about everyone else but and have shipped but not on WW. Thought those issues were solved in my state years ago.

/licence. Still doesn't work?

Each winery needs to purchase a licence for each state. They can be very expensive and difficult to get.

joeliquor

Need to go watch the Pack win...so in for two.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

OK the reviews convinced me, in for one.
anyone know when a woot off is coming?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

What the preferred temp to drink a good Zin at? Should this be served slightly chilled or at room temp? I'm very tempted to buy this but may wait until this evening (if there is any left by then. I have some of the last InZinerator offer and just might crack open our first bottle this evening for dinner.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

TGBG1985

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TGBG1985

Just placed an order for one and after reading the posts I'd like to up my order to two.... Is there any way to do so? Thanks for any help

kylemittskus

TGBG1985 wrote:Just placed an order for one and after reading the posts I'd like to up my order to two.... Is there any way to do so? Thanks for any help

Email service@woot.com

bbarlame

quality posts: 17 Private Messages bbarlame

Aw no WV?

Scott- I was able to call the winery and talk to Jana to get wine sent to WV before when WW didnt allow. Any chance I can do that now? Even better, can I ship to PA which is legal now?

Wineries seem so slow adding PA to their ship lists, unless only legal for wine.com

dbdoberman

quality posts: 5 Private Messages dbdoberman

Sounds like my palate is going to be happy very soon! What a great deal, thank you.

Scott, I read a review on Wine Review Online, and am very impressed. Great piece, with humor added. Do you still enjoy homemade leberknodel?