gilda345

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gilda345
chipgreen wrote:I will be attending my Niece's wedding in St. Louis on Saturday, May 25th (Memorial Day weekend) and am looking to explore some wineries in or around Lake of the Ozarks on Sun/Mon/Tue (May 26-28).

Would love to meet up with some fellow wooters or even if someone just has suggestions of places to go, it would be appreciated.

If you're going to be in St. Louis for the wedding I would suggest checking out Hermann or Augusta, both are within an hour's drive of STL and have some decent wineries. Robller Winery in New Haven is currently my favorite MO winery.

As for the Lake area, I actually have to go to a wedding there on Saturday myself. I have been to Seven Springs Winery, a bit south of Osage Beach, by Big Surf, and it's ok. I think it's overpriced. I have heard that Shawnee Bluff is a nice winery with a nice view and it's located in town. My favorite winery in the area is Casa De Loco, the wine is decent and they have a great location south of Camdenton in the middle of nowhere in an old insane asylum. They've updated the rooms and you can spend the night, they're actually really nice.

Hope you enjoy your time in mid-MO if you make it down here!

chipgreen

quality posts: 187 Private Messages chipgreen
gilda345 wrote:If you're going to be in St. Louis for the wedding I would suggest checking out Hermann or Augusta, both are within an hour's drive of STL and have some decent wineries. Robller Winery in New Haven is currently my favorite MO winery.

As for the Lake area, I actually have to go to a wedding there on Saturday myself. I have been to Seven Springs Winery, a bit south of Osage Beach, by Big Surf, and it's ok. I think it's overpriced. I have heard that Shawnee Bluff is a nice winery with a nice view and it's located in town. My favorite winery in the area is Casa De Loco, the wine is decent and they have a great location south of Camdenton in the middle of nowhere in an old insane asylum. They've updated the rooms and you can spend the night, they're actually really nice.

Hope you enjoy your time in mid-MO if you make it down here!

Thanks for the ideas! I've got it mostly planned out already. Sunday we will be checking out the Clydesdales at Grant's Farm and maybe hitting up a winery or two that are easily accessible from there. Any suggestions?

Monday we will be rolling through the wineries in Augusta on our way towards Hermann where we will spend the night. Tuesday we will ride the trolley around Hermann to all the wineries there, before heading back to OH on Wednesday.

gilda345

chipgreen wrote:Thanks for the ideas! I've got it mostly planned out already. Sunday we will be checking out the Clydesdales at Grant's Farm and maybe hitting up a winery or two that are easily accessible from there. Any suggestions?

Monday we will be rolling through the wineries in Augusta on our way towards Hermann where we will spend the night. Tuesday we will ride the trolley around Hermann to all the wineries there, before heading back to OH on Wednesday.

That sounds like a great trip! There aren't any wineries near Grant's Farm that I know of. I think they're all pretty much toward the Augusta and Hermann areas. Maybe you could go find an old Italian restaurant on "The Hill" (STL's Italian neighborhood) and enjoy a glass of Chianti?

I don't how familiar you are with Missouri wine, but you'll experience a broad spectrum of, ummm, quality, I guess? I hate to sound that way, but some wineries are doing a great job with native varietals and figuring out how to make good wine and others are more focused on making money, pushing fruit and sweet wines (which is great if that's your thing). You'll probably figure that out as you go.

Like I mentioned before, Robller in New Haven is by far my favorite winery in the area. If you can hit it on your way to Hermann, you won't regret it. You can drive south of the River on hwy 100 and you'll go right past it. The son of the owner is using Missouri varietals to make wines that taste like they're from vinifera grapes. He's doing a really nice dry Rose and does a great job with our state grape, Norton. He also has a couple of cuvees that are fantastic.

I hope you have a fabulous time in Missouri! Sorry for my long responses, I just get excited for people to visit our beautiful state and try our wine. I hope you find some good stuff and can ignore the bad!

chipgreen

gilda345 wrote:That sounds like a great trip! There aren't any wineries near Grant's Farm that I know of. I think they're all pretty much toward the Augusta and Hermann areas. Maybe you could go find an old Italian restaurant on "The Hill" (STL's Italian neighborhood) and enjoy a glass of Chianti?

I don't how familiar you are with Missouri wine, but you'll experience a broad spectrum of, ummm, quality, I guess? I hate to sound that way, but some wineries are doing a great job with native varietals and figuring out how to make good wine and others are more focused on making money, pushing fruit and sweet wines (which is great if that's your thing). You'll probably figure that out as you go.

Like I mentioned before, Robller in New Haven is by far my favorite winery in the area. If you can hit it on your way to Hermann, you won't regret it. You can drive south of the River on hwy 100 and you'll go right past it. The son of the owner is using Missouri varietals to make wines that taste like they're from vinifera grapes. He's doing a really nice dry Rose and does a great job with our state grape, Norton. He also has a couple of cuvees that are fantastic.

I hope you have a fabulous time in Missouri! Sorry for my long responses, I just get excited for people to visit our beautiful state and try our wine. I hope you find some good stuff and can ignore the bad!

Hi Gilda, thanks again for the tips! We did make a trip to Robller as per your suggestion and really appreciated the personal attention we received there as well as enjoyed their wines. Having flown to MO via St. Louis, we were limited as to what we could bring home but I did buy a bottle of '09 Robller Norton.

Our very first winery stop was Sugar Creek in Defiance which was somewhat of a disappointment. We were going to stop in at Yellow Farmhouse first but there was nowhere to park.

From Sugar Creek we went to Montelle, which was quite picturesque and had some very good wines. We then went to the Augusta Winery (sister winery of Montelle) and also found their wines to be very good. They were about the only winery that would ship to OH and they offered a whopping 35% discount off case purchases so we ordered a mixed case which arrived here at home the day after we got back.

From Augusta Winery we were going to head to Mt. Pleasant right nearby but my g/f saw a sign for the Augusta Brewing Co. and suggested we walk to it. We got there, sat down and ordered a flight of beer (LOVED their Heffeweissen) and listened to a guy named Roger (husband of one of the waitresses) play guitar and sing. Unfortunately, heavy rains and wind set in and we were basically stranded there until 6pm, by which time Mt. Pleasant had closed for the day so we headed towards Hermann to check into our room at Hermann Hill.

Herman Hill was awesome. I can't say enough nice things about it. Amazing amenities, incredible views, delicious breakfasts, etc. As much as I enjoyed the wineries (and the sights around St. Louis), staying at Hermann Hill was truly the highlight of the trip.

We decided to drive ourselves instead of taking the trolley around Hermann. We started at Stone Hill, then drove out to Robller, then started heading back into Hermann stopping at Bias, Oak Glenn, Hermanhoff and Adam Puchta along the way.

On our way back to St. Louis to catch our return flight, we stopped in at Mt. Pleasant and almost ended up missing our flight because of it, doh! Fortunately we made it (barely) and I brought home one of their Tawny Ports.

Overall, we were very impressed with the MO wines we tasted. The Norton wines were great and there were many delicious whites, my favorite being Vignoles.

EDIT: Also enjoyed the authentic German fare at the Vintage Restaurant on the grounds of Stone Hill Winery. Delicious!

gilda345

Wow! You really made the rounds! Thanks for the recap. I'm so glad you were able to visit our state and taste some, really most, of our wine! Glad to hear some updates on the Augusta area, I haven't been there in several years!

chipgreen

gilda345 wrote:Wow! You really made the rounds! Thanks for the recap. I'm so glad you were able to visit our state and taste some, really most, of our wine! Glad to hear some updates on the Augusta area, I haven't been there in several years!

Yes, we really enjoyed it and tried to make the most of it. I regret not having stopped at Blumenhof and Chandler Hill but gotta have a reason to return, right?

Thanks again for your suggestions!

gastrognome

quality posts: 3 Private Messages gastrognome
gilda345 wrote:Ok, two years later it's happening, I'm setting a date! April 6, Jefferson City, MO at 7:00 p.m..

My husband and I have started a local wine club and this will be our first gathering of local wine lovers. I would love to have some fellow wooters in attendance as well. Post if you're able to attend and I'll give you the details.

Did this happen? Will you be doing it again? St Louis area wooters need to step-up!