North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Never tried making Sangria so I am a novice here. Any suggestions on what brandy to use?

Also, once made, how long will a pitcher of Sangria keep (provided you don't drink it all)?

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

polarbear22

quality posts: 33 Private Messages polarbear22
North316 wrote:Never tried making Sangria so I am a novice here. Any suggestions on what brandy to use?

Also, once made, how long will a pitcher of Sangria keep (provided you don't drink it all)?

Something inexpensive is fine. We tend to use Maciera.

No idea how long Sangria will keep, as two hours is the longest any "leftover" was allowed to sit.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

darlenee1

quality posts: 7 Private Messages darlenee1

My latest sangria:
Mango Tequila
Kraken Rum
Grand Marnier
Two/three oranges
Four-six limes
2-3 peaches
three bottles red wine (whatever you want to use/get rid of)
1 liter sparkling lime water
1 liter sparkling tropical water
Delicious
I just pour the booze over the fruit until it is covered and let sit at least a few hours before mixing all the ingredients. This makes about 1.5 gallons.

Ran out of room for the wines, and can't think of a good quote for now

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 169 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
darlenee1 wrote:My latest sangria:
Mango Tequila
Kraken Rum
Grand Marnier
Two/three oranges
Four-six limes
2-3 peaches
three bottles red wine (whatever you want to use/get rid of)
1 liter sparkling lime water
1 liter sparkling tropical water
Delicious
I just pour the booze over the fruit until it is covered and let sit at least a few hours before mixing all the ingredients. This makes about 1.5 gallons.

How much of the rum, tequila, & Gran Marnier?

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cortot20

quality posts: 111 Private Messages cortot20
MarkDaSpark wrote:How much of the rum, tequila, & Gran Marnier?

I prefer Sangria to be lighter and I go with a 1/4 cup of booze per bottle of wine. This keeps it light but you still get the flavor of whatever booze you used while not letting it dominate the overall flavors making it heavier.

CT

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:I prefer Sangria to be lighter and I go with a 1/4 cup of booze per bottle of wine. This keeps it light but you still get the flavor of whatever booze you used while not letting it dominate the overall flavors making it heavier.

That sounds like most, but I wanted to verify. Some recipes have different proportions for booze.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Bump for Cinco de Mayo.

MarkDaSpark

3 Berry Red Wine Sangria

Or for those too lazy to click on the link ...

3 Berry Red Wine Sangria

makes 1 pitcher

1 bottle red wine, chilled

1 cup pomegranate juice, chilled

1 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed

8 ounces strawberries

1/2 pint raspberries

1/2 pint blackberries

2 Tbsp honey

1 cup club soda, chilled

3/4 cup red seedless grapes, frozen

Garnish: mint leaves, orange slices, strawberries

Combine red wine, pomegranate juice, fresh orange juice, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and honey in a large pitcher. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for 2 hours. Just before serving, add club soda and frozen grapes into the pitcher. Serve in glasses garnished with mint leaves, orange slices and strawberry slices.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:3 Berry Red Wine Sangria

Or for those too lazy to click on the link ...

3 Berry Red Wine Sangria

makes 1 pitcher

1 bottle red wine, chilled

1 cup pomegranate juice, chilled

1 cup orange juice, fresh squeezed

8 ounces strawberries

1/2 pint raspberries

1/2 pint blackberries

2 Tbsp honey

1 cup club soda, chilled

3/4 cup red seedless grapes, frozen

Garnish: mint leaves, orange slices, strawberries

Combine red wine, pomegranate juice, fresh orange juice, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries and honey in a large pitcher. Cover and refrigerate overnight or at least for 2 hours. Just before serving, add club soda and frozen grapes into the pitcher. Serve in glasses garnished with mint leaves, orange slices and strawberry slices.

this looks yummy!!

MarkDaSpark

Just in time for the 4th!!

Asti Cherry Sangria

Ingredients:
¾ oz Grey Goose Vodka Cherry Noir
1 ½ oz Pomegranate Juice
½ oz Pineapple Juice
3 oz MARTINI ASTI

Garnish: Lemon and Lime Wedges - squeezed, Cherry

Have a happy & safe 4th of July!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:Just in time for the 4th!!

Have a happy & safe 4th of July!

dang.. that looks yummy!!

RaiderSPE

quality posts: 1 Private Messages RaiderSPE

I stirred this one up on Memorial Day, but had to use some riesling instead of the Viognier.

This was very good but a little sweet. Might be a good idea to hold off on a little of the simple syrup.

F&W - http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/mango-peach-sangria

1/4 cup mint
1 cup Grand Marnier
2 peaches, cut into thin wedges
1 bottle Viognier
1/3 cup water
1 mango, chopped
1/3 cup sugar

In a saucepan, cook the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves; transfer to a pitcher and refrigerate until cold. Stir in the Grand Marnier, Viognier, mango, peaches and mint and serve over ice.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 23 Private Messages ddeuddeg
MarkDaSpark wrote:How much of the rum, tequila, & Gran Marnier?

Based on the 1.5 gallon estimated outcome, together with the other ingredients, I figure about one bottle (750) prof each. Sounds pretty heavy for sangria, and for summertime quaffing.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ddeuddeg wrote:Based on the 1.5 gallon estimated outcome, together with the other ingredients, I figure about one bottle (750) prof each. Sounds pretty heavy for sangria, and for summertime quaffing.

Not sure if you got no sleep, or drank heavy today, or why you are responding to a really old question, but your math is WAY off.

1.5 Gal = approx 5,700 ML
3 Bottles of Wine - 2,250
2 liters of other liquid mentioned (sparking lime and whatever) = 2,000
6-8 pieces of fruit = 750 (i'm aware there isn't a conversion for this, but that would take up at least the volume of a bottle of wine)

That leaves MAYBE 600-700 ML total for the rest of the liquor, not 750 each. It's probably less than that as well.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Based on the 1.5 gallon estimated outcome, together with the other ingredients, I figure about one bottle (750) prof each. Sounds pretty heavy for sangria, and for summertime quaffing.

Dude! You need more sleep! That or eat a Snickers bar, you aren't yourself when you're hungry.

As North noted, that would be way too much alcohol. More likely 1/2 to 1 cup (3/4 cup more likely) of each.

You'd have 3 bottles of alcohol to 3 bottles of wine. It's usually more around 1/4 cup alcohol each (so around 1/2 to 3/4 cup total, depending on which alcohol (brandy/rum/schnapps and curacao (Gran Marnier/Cointreau/etc.)) per bottle of wine you are adding.

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Dude! You need more sleep! That or eat a Snickers bar, you aren't yourself when you're hungry.

As North noted, that would be way too much alcohol. More likely 1/2 to 1 cup (3/4 cup more likely) of each.

You'd have 3 bottles of alcohol to 3 bottles of wine. It's usually more around 1/4 cup alcohol each (so around 1/2 to 3/4 cup total, depending on which alcohol (brandy/rum/schnapps and curacao (Gran Marnier/Cointreau/etc.)) per bottle of wine you are adding.

Very rough mental math, didn't count the fruit, same as I always do. Given that, not so far off.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Very rough mental math, didn't count the fruit, same as I always do. Given that, not so far off.

Not so far off??? I think you need to let bahwm start taking care of your financial matters.

Edit: FYI, 750 ml is approx. 3.17 cups. So at least 2 extra cups of each alcohol. Not so far off?

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:Not so far off??? I think you need to let bahwm start taking care of your financial matters.

Edit: FYI, 750 ml is approx. 3.17 cups. So at least 2 extra cups of each alcohol. Not so far off?

You didn't understand me correctly. I don't count the fruit. 1.5 gallons of liquid means with 2250 + 2000 already accounted for, I need about another 1.5 liters, so about 2/3 of a bottle of each liquor, which rounds off to one bottle. You can quibble all you want about the rounding, and the fact that my numbers make for an excessively strong sangria, even for Manhattan drinkers like me, but the math itself is sound. Unless you insist on counting the fruit as part of the 1.5 liter total quantity, which in retrospect makes good sense.
Oh yes, and to answer North's question about why looking at an old thread, we've had sangria a couple of times since we've been in Spain, and I just got curious.