Mavyn

quality posts: 22 Private Messages Mavyn

If the Doctor were American.

HAHAHAHA!

My speech is not parsing. I am speaking in ellipsis.

Nitetigrezz

quality posts: 8 Private Messages Nitetigrezz

Goodness how I love this show....

My first Doctor was the ninth doctor. He will always have a special place in my heart. He set the pace so well for newbs to the show, and had such energy! It's believed that the way the Doctor leaves the series sums up the sort of person they were, and I believe his exit summed it up perfectly.

For newbs, I highly recommend starting with the first five episodes of the reboot. The first two don't give enough of a variety for just how all over the place the show can be - in all the best of ways! If by the fifth episode you still can't get into it, then you probably never will.

For me, my love of the show crept up on me. At first it was, "Oh, this is entertaining!". By the time the ninth doctor left though, I was bouncing off the walls waiting for the next season. By the time the tenth said his farewell, I was in tears. When did my affection for these characters grow to such a love affair? I can't honestly say. All I know is that I love this show, and I can't wait to find a way to watch the newest season.

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

dougall

quality posts: 14 Private Messages dougall
Nitetigrezz wrote:Goodness how I love this show....

My first Doctor was the ninth doctor. He will always have a special place in my heart. He set the pace so well for newbs to the show, and had such energy! It's believed that the way the Doctor leaves the series sums up the sort of person they were, and I believe his exit summed it up perfectly.

For newbs, I highly recommend starting with the first five episodes of the reboot. The first two don't give enough of a variety for just how all over the place the show can be - in all the best of ways! If by the fifth episode you still can't get into it, then you probably never will.

For me, my love of the show crept up on me. At first it was, "Oh, this is entertaining!". By the time the ninth doctor left though, I was bouncing off the walls waiting for the next season. By the time the tenth said his farewell, I was in tears. When did my affection for these characters grow to such a love affair? I can't honestly say. All I know is that I love this show, and I can't wait to find a way to watch the newest season.

Not sure what options you have if you don't have BBCA, but you can likely watch on netflix or amazon prime shortly after it airs. Maybe make some friends who can watch, or finally just download from dubious sites on the internet.

For classic who, there are bunches of episodes that you can find on dailymotion.

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:Not sure what options you have if you don't have BBCA, but you can likely watch on netflix or amazon prime shortly after it airs. Maybe make some friends who can watch, or finally just download from dubious sites on the internet.

For classic who, there are bunches of episodes that you can find on dailymotion.

Netflix only has the older episodes, though I did make the most of that. I managed to nab Name of the Doctor and Day of the Doctor from a friend, though I can't do that for every single episode. There was one site that was streaming them for awhile... might have to look into that again now that we have a vga cable to hook up the lappy to the big screen.

Nitetigrezz Woot Sticker Trade Post ~ First ever Broncos on Cowboys ~ 7/11/2014 ~ 154.9/2000

dougall

Nitetigrezz wrote:Netflix only has the older episodes, though I did make the most of that. I managed to nab Name of the Doctor and Day of the Doctor from a friend, though I can't do that for every single episode. There was one site that was streaming them for awhile... might have to look into that again now that we have a vga cable to hook up the lappy to the big screen.

Good luck in your quest.

DeclanRowan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages DeclanRowan

I'm with you - I started with 9, moved on to 10, and then was so saddened by the end it took me until recently to watch 11. Not that he was not as good, or as talented. Just after hearing 10 say "I don't want to go," I needed some time to process. I learned to enjoy 11, and am once again excited for the new season.

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:Good luck in your quest.

Thanks!

DeclanRowan wrote:I'm with you - I started with 9, moved on to 10, and then was so saddened by the end it took me until recently to watch 11. Not that he was not as good, or as talented. Just after hearing 10 say "I don't want to go," I needed some time to process. I learned to enjoy 11, and am once again excited for the new season.

Eleven was so hard to watch after ten x.x The first few episodes with eleven made him seem like such a jerk >.< After how relatively kind and gentle ten was, it was an odd adjustment. Once he got rolling though, it was so hard to stop watching XD Especially whenever there was a River Song episode XD

dougall

referring to the Doctor as a number rather than the actor's name makes me cry a little inside.

:'(

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:referring to the Doctor as a number rather than the actor's name makes me cry a little inside.

:'(

Alas, you have a point >.< I just hate mispelling Ecclestan, and I'm pretty sure I just did v.v

dougall

Nitetigrezz wrote:Alas, you have a point >.< I just hate mispelling Ecclestan, and I'm pretty sure I just did v.v

yeah, you did - It's Ecclestone.

and, as it happens, I was just listening to him narrate a documentary about British Wrestling.

you know... for your fix until the new season of DW starts.

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:yeah, you did - It's Ecclestone.

and, as it happens, I was just listening to him narrate a documentary about British Wrestling.

you know... for your fix until the new season of DW starts.

Knew I would v.v Though it's Eccleston, sans the e on the end XD

Doesn't matter. Your video just made me squee. I can't watch it here, but I'll definitely be watching it when I get home.

I also got to see a clip of Tennant and Catherine Tate on a late night show playing a game of naming where Shakespearean quotes were from. I was all sorts of happy :3

dougall

Nitetigrezz wrote:Knew I would v.v Though it's Eccleston, sans the e on the end XD

Doesn't matter. Your video just made me squee. I can't watch it here, but I'll definitely be watching it when I get home.

I also got to see a clip of Tennant and Catherine Tate on a late night show playing a game of naming where Shakespearean quotes were from. I was all sorts of happy :3

meh, my typing sucks..

and, if you didn't read back.

you're welcome.

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:meh, my typing sucks..

and, if you didn't read back.

you're welcome.

Bwahahahaha yeah, I actually saw that one XD

dougall

Nitetigrezz wrote:Bwahahahaha yeah, I actually saw that one XD

Then I'll stop sharing... :p

if you're feeling bored, look for McCoy on Vision On, or any of the cast on Graham Norton

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:Then I'll stop sharing... :p

if you're feeling bored, look for McCoy on Vision On, or any of the cast on Graham Norton

I think it was Graham Norton that had Tennant doing the Shakespear quiz XD

dougall

Nitetigrezz wrote:I think it was Graham Norton that had Tennant doing the Shakespear quiz XD

then go watch Blackpool.

Mavyn

dougall wrote:then go watch Blackpool.

Tennant singing is pretty epic.

dougall

Mavyn wrote:Tennant singing is pretty epic.

not to mention dancing to the Smiths.

Mavyn

I think that might have been my favorite scene from the entire show.

Nitetigrezz

I think I know what thread to rove through on my day off >.> Holy wow there's some great material on this page alone.

dougall

Nitetigrezz wrote:I think I know what thread to rove through on my day off >.> Holy wow there's some great material on this page alone.

well, there's plenty that hasn't been covered here..

for example, Kung Fu Dr Who.

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:well, there's plenty that hasn't been covered here..

for example, Kung Fu Dr Who.

O.O Okay, my interest is officially piqued. Just... wow!

bswarm

quality posts: 0 Private Messages bswarm

Wouldn't it be cool if "The Doctor" showed up in an upcoming episode of "Sherlock"? Or vice-versa? Of course, it would have to be done in a not too corny way.

11 Bags Of Crap

M-kind

quality posts: 0 Private Messages M-kind

would be cool if Dr Who Showed up at woot.com first day and brought them a cake from Squirrels!!!

Yev

TalKeaton

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TalKeaton

Started watching after the debut of Matt Smith, but decided to start with the 9th doctor and work forward. Someday I need to go back and watch Classic Who, but haven't gotten to that yet.

whammypower788

quality posts: 3 Private Messages whammypower788
TalKeaton wrote:Started watching after the debut of Matt Smith, but decided to start with the 9th doctor and work forward. Someday I need to go back and watch Classic Who, but haven't gotten to that yet.

Same with me, but that was three years ago, and I've never looked back.

Visit Game Show Videos!

Family Feud Dumb Answer
"Name a beverage you stir before drinking."
Contestant: Water.

dougall

Some people may be interested in The Minister of Chance

there are a couple of Doctors in there at least.

Nitetigrezz

TalKeaton wrote:Started watching after the debut of Matt Smith, but decided to start with the 9th doctor and work forward. Someday I need to go back and watch Classic Who, but haven't gotten to that yet.

Same. I watched a small smattering of the very first episodes that are on Netflix. By the time we got to the third episode, my dad and fiancee threatened to throw out the tv if I didn't turn it off XD

dougall

Nitetigrezz wrote:Same. I watched a small smattering of the very first episodes that are on Netflix. By the time we got to the third episode, my dad and fiancee threatened to throw out the tv if I didn't turn it off XD

Clearly the solution is to buy a bigger heavier TV.

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:Clearly the solution is to buy a bigger heavier TV.

Ooo I could use my dad's old flatscreen!!! This was back when flatscreens were new. The thing's a 56" that stood almost as tall as me. Heavy as hell too, and still had the bulging back, though still going strong!

Mavyn

I saw a guy rolling one of those big console style tv's across a bridge last week.

And, spoileriffic, but, Doctor Who LEGO!!!

unangrybird

quality posts: 1 Private Messages unangrybird

This was my Dr. Who.

There was some really old guy too but don't know his name. I guess I am old too. Dr. Who and Dr. Demento on Sunday nights.

Nitetigrezz

Mavyn wrote:I saw a guy rolling one of those big console style tv's across a bridge last week.

And, spoileriffic, but, Doctor Who LEGO!!!

Funny how far some people will go x.x

Also, love this video XD Happy I've at least seen the fiftieth anni and the Christmas episode.

Nitetigrezz

unangrybird wrote:This was my Dr. Who.

There was some really old guy too but don't know his name. I guess I am old too. Dr. Who and Dr. Demento on Sunday nights.

Nothing wrong with love for the Old Who XD He seems to be a favorite of many-a Whovians too. It makes me want to watch Old Who that much more.

Moueska

quality posts: 54 Private Messages Moueska
Mavyn wrote:

If the Doctor were American.

HAHAHAHA!

I started watching with the thought of "Oh, don't they WISH they had a legacy of the Doctor", and ended with "Ye Gods! THEY'RE QUOTING RAY BRADBURY AND THIS IS AMAZING".

remo28

quality posts: 7 Private Messages remo28
unangrybird wrote:This was my Dr. Who.

Tom Baker #4 was also my first Dr. I remember watching episodes in the 80's on PBS as a little kid. Of course I wanted my own K-9 and hated the Daleks because they were always trying to shoot him. A few years ago my son started watching the new series online. We didn't have BBCA at the time, so he put season 1 on a flash drive and we stuck it in the ps3 and started watching. This led to watching 6 seasons in a couple weeks. I finally got Netflix, just to watch Dr. Who, but we still had to find creative ways to watch the new episodes. But now I have BBCA. I actually still haven't watched the Christmas episode because I don't want to watch the Dr. die, and regenerate. I was fine with 9's regeneration, but 10's was too much. Because of course David Tennant is my favorite Dr. If I see any Dr Who episodes on BBCA I will watch them without seeing what else is on tv. And having BBCA has led to me being addicted to Top Gear as well.

Nitetigrezz

remo28 wrote:Tom Baker #4 was also my first Dr. I remember watching episodes in the 80's on PBS as a little kid. Of course I wanted my own K-9 and hated the Daleks because they were always trying to shoot him. A few years ago my son started watching the new series online. We didn't have BBCA at the time, so he put season 1 on a flash drive and we stuck it in the ps3 and started watching. This led to watching 6 seasons in a couple weeks. I finally got Netflix, just to watch Dr. Who, but we still had to find creative ways to watch the new episodes. But now I have BBCA. I actually still haven't watched the Christmas episode because I don't want to watch the Dr. die, and regenerate. I was fine with 9's regeneration, but 10's was too much. Because of course David Tennant is my favorite Dr. If I see any Dr Who episodes on BBCA I will watch them without seeing what else is on tv. And having BBCA has led to me being addicted to Top Gear as well.

Dr. Who will probably be the only reason I'd ever bother with cable. As is though, there aren't many cable options in this area (eg none), and the one option there is charges an ungodly amount. I just have to keep digging.

I'm going to tell you as a fan of Smith, watch the Christmas episode. No real spoilers here, promise. You remember how Eccleston's doctor was borderline ADHD and relatively optimistic and bouncy? Remember how his death seemed to match that so well? Now remember how Tennant, especially in the later part of his time, was far more emotional and almost borderline emo at times (don't get me wrong, I loved Tennant, but towards the end there... oy!)? And how his death matched that (yes, I had to break out the tissues too >.<)? Think on how Smith's doctor has been. His death was just so... so appropriate. So HIM. It got me to wondering if this has always been a Who thing, or just a New Who thing, but I love it.

Only warning I will give is that you'll want tissues with you, but it's worth each and every single tear, trust me.

dougall

spoilers???

only one way to find out :P

Nitetigrezz

dougall wrote:spoilers???

~head 'splodes~

Mavyn

dougall wrote:spoilers???

Mebbe a little.