karenhynes

quality posts: 17 Private Messages karenhynes
rjquillin wrote:Thanks for the HU on this.
Popped for some.
Shipped by WCC!
So, another site to keep an eye on, along with RLL, meh and some others I forget with WD's fingerprints all over them.

The Wisdom is lovely...I popped a bottle a few weeks ago with some friends. I don't have specific notes, but it was enjoyed by all!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

rjquillin

quality posts: 286 Private Messages rjquillin
karenhynes wrote:The Wisdom is lovely...I popped a bottle a few weeks ago with some friends. I don't have specific notes, but it was enjoyed by all!

Good to know, but mine are heading to a dark cellar corner for a few years; well, perhaps one may not make it.

CT

jmdavidson

quality posts: 69 Private Messages jmdavidson
tytiger58 wrote:Empire ship 4 free has the 13 Tensley syrah for 21.95. How much did we pay for the 14?

http://www.empirewine.com/free/

PM for you.

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
jmdavidson wrote:PM for you.

Thanks JM! I got the mag...don't think there will ever be a time I will drink a 3L bottle

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

jmdavidson

tytiger58 wrote:Thanks JM! I got the mag...don't think there will ever be a time I will drink a 3L bottle

Glad to have helped. DO you prefer the avvoltore over their others? Or, which do you prefer?

tytiger58

jmdavidson wrote:Glad to have helped. DO you prefer the avvoltore over their others? Or, which do you prefer?

That's the only one I have had...Got a bunch of the 09's ? from wine library a few years ago and a 98 from benchmark and loved both. They are not easy to find here.

klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman

Empire Wine is evil
http://www.empirewine.com/wine/macarico-macarico-aglianico-2012-i20431/ (A later version of a wine Ron has yet to dig out from under the piles)
http://www.empirewine.com/wine/lopez-de-heredia-tondonia-rioja-2004-i21680/

And a nice selection of Rieslings, dessert wines, etc. Very dangerous indeed.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 293 Private Messages cortot20

The denier handal sagrantino is back on sale at WOTMC for $9.99.

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:The denier handal sagrantino is back on sale at WOTMC for $9.99.

small print
out-of-stock

CT

klezman

cortot20 wrote:The denier handal sagrantino is back on sale at WOTMC for $9.99.

Had a bottle of that at happy hour at work yesterday. It went over very well with the crew. It also was much more integrated than the other bottle I tried. Bottle variation or just the few additional months?

chipgreen

quality posts: 285 Private Messages chipgreen

Last night drank some 2008 Equality Wines Love Wins Cuvee aka 2008 Iron Horse Vineyards Brut Rose. Got some towards the end of last year on UC but the Equality Wines website is still actively selling this for $30 a bottle. Their only other offering, a 2014 The Decision Pinot Noir Giusti Ranch also appears to be a good value at $64 versus the comparable 2014 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Giusti Ranch at a CT average of $90 ($125 and up on wine-searcher).

Better yet, buy it as part of the red wine & dark chocolate lovers set for only $55? Not sure how they charge $9 less for a gift set than just the bottle alone.... the wine combo packs are also a really good deal.

EDIT to note that I just went in on 2 of the 4-packs for $135 apiece. Flat-rate shipping was only $20 to Ohio.

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:Their only other offering, a 2014 The Decision Pinot Noir Giusti Ranch also appears to be a good value at $64 versus the comparable 2014 Kosta Browne Pinot Noir Giusti Ranch at a CT average of $90 ($125 and up on wine-searcher).

I get the IH comparison, but not so sure on the Kosta. You're equating the vineyard and wine to to the Kosta bottling? Did I just miss the overt connections?

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 285 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:I get the IH comparison, but not so sure on the Kosta. You're equating the vineyard and wine to to the Kosta bottling? Did I just miss the overt connections?

The Love Wins Cuvee actually says produced and bottled by Iron Horse Vineyards on the back label. You're right about the Kosta Browne comparison just being about the Giusti vineyard fruit.

Upon further research, I learned that Giusti Ranch provided the grapes and produced/bottled the Decision Pinot Noir for Equality Wines. I also learned that they (Giusti) have their own-branded Pinot Noir that retails for $69 so that is probably a better comparison, price-wise, than Kosta Browne. Still, seems like a good pedigree on the fruit and am pretty happy to have gotten the 4-packs for $135, the equivalent of $45 each for the Pinot and $22.50 each for the Iron Horse.

klezman

chipgreen wrote:...the 4-packs for $135, the equivalent of $45 each for the Pinot and $22.50 each for the Iron Horse.

Yeah, that seems like a ridiculous price, especially since Joy likes to retail the Brut Rose at $65 normally.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg
klezman wrote:Yeah, that seems like a ridiculous price, especially since Joy likes to retail the Brut Rose at $65 normally.

I didn't remember it being that high, but right now it doesn't matter, since they're not listing it on the website at all. And meanwhile, the other guys have bumped their price up to $40.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:
EDIT to note that I just went in on 2 of the 4-packs for $135 apiece. Flat-rate shipping was only $20 to Ohio.

Just noticed they are local to me. Perhaps could have been free P/U. The $40 bump sure kills that off however.

CT

klezman

ddeuddeg wrote:I didn't remember it being that high, but right now it doesn't matter, since they're not listing it on the website at all. And meanwhile, the other guys have bumped their price up to $40.

Yeah, I should have grabbed a 4-pack at $135. But this way I have more money to fix my roof!

tytiger58

jmdavidson wrote:Glad to have helped. DO you prefer the avvoltore over their others? Or, which do you prefer?

BTW JM just got the mag in and it is signed by the winemaker, very cool
Thanks again!

jmdavidson

tytiger58 wrote:BTW JM just got the mag in and it is signed by the winemaker, very cool
Thanks again!

+1. Very cool!

klezman

PSA: the Marina del Rey Costco has the new 2015 vintage of Iron Horse Unoaked Chard. $14.
Before you ask Ron, we didn't have room in the car to bring you back a case as well

rjquillin

klezman wrote:PSA: the Marina del Rey Costco has the new 2015 vintage of Iron Horse Unoaked Chard. $14.
Before you ask Ron, we didn't have room in the car to bring you back a case as well

Next time? Perhaps?

Thanks for the thoughts.

CT

jamesozzello

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jamesozzello

For those in the area, an email I got this A.M.. Just a for your info , if interested.

Wellington

FINAL SATURDAY! 3-11-17 12-4pm Please visit, say goodbye, and enjoy incredible deals on library wines and magnums! Live music performed by Drew James

InFrom

quality posts: 48 Private Messages InFrom
jamesozzello wrote:For those in the area, an email I got this A.M.. Just a for your info , if interested.

Wellington

FINAL SATURDAY! 3-11-17 12-4pm Please visit, say goodbye, and enjoy incredible deals on library wines and magnums! Live music performed by Drew James

Might just be the saddest thing I've read all week. Sad!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 82 Private Messages losthighwayz

Any Socaler want to split the canyon Zin case on woot plus? Rectangle is pulsating

"The older I get the better I was"

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
losthighwayz wrote:Any Socaler want to split the canyon Zin case on woot plus? Rectangle is pulsating

gone

klezman

jamesozzello wrote:For those in the area, an email I got this A.M.. Just a for your info , if interested.

Wellington

So Ron...what say you on grabbing some deals for us SoCal folk? And lots of Merlot is needed also...

JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

Wellington

Sigh. End of an era. And I am out of town and cannot visit.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cortot20

quality posts: 293 Private Messages cortot20
klezman wrote:So Ron...what say you on grabbing some deals for us SoCal folk? And lots of Merlot is needed also...

I'd be interested. Is he going up with a U-haul?

CT

klezman

cortot20 wrote:I'd be interested. Is he going up with a U-haul?

Not tomorrow, since we'll see him here. But maybe WD or somebody else up there will stash the wine for a while until he takes a u-haul.

rjquillin

Closeouts at the Wellington tasting room:
2006, 07 and 08 Victory mags, $100 each.
3L 1991 Victory and Estate Syrah, 2004 Estate Syrah, 1994 Casa Santinamaria Zin and 1991 Estate Merlot, all $250 each.

Love the older labels.

Now, to make it to TyTigers this evening...

CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:So Ron...what say you on grabbing some deals for us SoCal folk? And lots of Merlot is needed also...

got a case on hold

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:got a case on hold

We can strategise tonight...I hope you're already on the road!

losthighwayz

quality posts: 82 Private Messages losthighwayz
rjquillin wrote:got a case on hold

I'll take any leftovers...

You really driving down from Sonoma?

"The older I get the better I was"

rjquillin

2013 Bell Clone 6
$81 Wine Chateau

CT

jmdavidson

rjquillin wrote:2013 Bell Clone 6
$81 Wine Chateau

Great price. Pricey shipping to IL. Anyone in Chicago want to go in on some, i.e. save shipping costs? Send me a PM if you do.

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85

For anyone interested in part 2 of that BD UC Davis Curator's Cellar sale

rjquillin

jmdavidson wrote:Great price. Pricey shipping to IL. Anyone in Chicago want to go in on some, i.e. save shipping costs? Send me a PM if you do.

Ya think? $40 to ship to CA.

CT

jmdavidson

rjquillin wrote:Ya think? $40 to ship to CA.

1 - 3 bottles to IL is $20, then increases depending on quantity. Some of us (me) can't afford volume purchasing at this price. Wish I could or I'd buy a case.

rjquillin

jmdavidson wrote:1 - 3 bottles to IL is $20, then increases depending on quantity. Some of us (me) can't afford volume purchasing at this price. Wish I could or I'd buy a case.

I really should call them and see where the shipping sweet spot is.
Yeah, this hurt a bit, but looking at the CT and winery direct pricing made it go down much easier.

Coming out for the Corison event?

CT

karenhynes

quality posts: 17 Private Messages karenhynes
jmdavidson wrote:Great price. Pricey shipping to IL. Anyone in Chicago want to go in on some, i.e. save shipping costs? Send me a PM if you do.

You could talk me into one...or two.

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson