jmdavidson

quality posts: 59 Private Messages jmdavidson
chipgreen wrote:This month's wine dinner at the local grocery store featured Rhone wines from E.Guigal.
  • 2012 E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône Blanc w/Coquille St. Jacques
  • 2012 E. Guigal Crozes-Hermitage Blanc w/Cheese & Charcuterie Plate
  • 2012 E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône Rosé w/Chicken Chasseur
  • 2010 E. Guigal Gigondas w/Garlic Studded Lamb, Roasted New Potatoes & Asparagus
  • 2011 E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône Red w/Chocolate Macaron with Mocha Buttercream & Raspberries

SWMBO and I went to a french restaurant tonight and had the Côtes du Rhône Blanc (me) and Côtes du Rhône Red (she) which paired extremely well with steamed mussels, mushroom crepes, smoked salmon salad and a seafood medley pasta.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

2006 William Harrison Rutherford red.

VERY good but paled in comparison to how stunningly good the food and service was at the Firehouse Restaurant tonight.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
cmaldoon wrote:2006 William Harrison Rutherford red.

VERY good but paled in comparison to how stunningly good the food and service was at the Firehouse Restaurant tonight.

You bring one from the '12 tour, or was it actually on the list?

CT

cmaldoon

rjquillin wrote:You bring one from the '12 tour, or was it actually on the list?

None of the above. Invino had it up 3 years ago. I got 2 bottles, tried it immediately, loved it, bought 4 more.

On tour SWMBO and I liked the 07 cab just as well as the Red so we got the cab because it was cheaper.

They do have quite a list though.... 20,000 bottles.

My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman

Last night - end of 2010 Braganini Reserve Cab Franc. Damn that was good. Very savoury. Then on to a 2000 Roche Merlot which we demolished and went well with lamb leg. Tonight will be an array of wines for a Passover Potluck, minimum one Sangiovese and/or Barbera since we're making matza lasagna.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus

2007 Heitz Cellars Napa Valley CS

with rack of lamb.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20

2009 Viña Eguía Rioja Reserva
With Chinese braised beef over rice with steamed broccoli.

CT

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58

2011 Château de la Négly Coteaux du Languedoc La Clape Blanc La Brise Marine, you can taste the ocean! Bourboulenc and Roussanne. With king crab legs, if you have a free ship code from WL and an extra 14.98 run don't walk! This is good.

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

tytiger58 wrote:2011 Château de la Négly Coteaux du Languedoc La Clape Blanc La Brise Marine, you can taste the ocean! Bourboulenc and Roussanne. With king crab legs, if you have a free ship code from WL and an extra 14.98 run don't walk! This is good.

Damn you!

1996 Ardente Estate Winery Cabernet Sauvignon Espressione
with nearly raw red meat, and trimmings.
$11/btl!?
I may even have more than Fred, but should gotten more.
Ended with an item on sale from Diagio
Provenance Cali Port

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen

Out with friends to dinner, then a wine bar...

2012 Catabbo I.A.C. Montepulciano d'Abruzzo
2011 Conundrum White
2012 Layer Cake Shiraz
N.V. Dow Porto Boardroom Reserve Tawny

klezman

2011 Rudi Wiest Mosel Riesling
2006 Twisted Oak Tempranillo
2009 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Reserva
2012 VinTJs Dry Creek Valley Zin
2011 Bartenura Moscato (Kosher for Passover, mevushal)
2007 Wellington Syrah Englandcrest
2010 Waterbrook Semillon Late Harvest/Icewine
2001 EY Banyuls
2012 Harvest Moon Gewurtztraminer dessert wine

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

klezman wrote:2010 Waterbrook Semillon Late Harvest/Icewine
2001 EY Banyuls
2012 Harvest Moon Gewurtztraminer dessert wine

So how were the Banyuls and Waterbrook?

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:So how were the Banyuls and Waterbrook?

That was our second (and last) bottle of the Banyuls. Good buy from Garagiste. It was also my first Banyuls so I didn't know what to expect - quite oxidized actually. Need to try some other examples, may not entirely be my thing.

The Waterbrook was good. Nice balance, good acid, enjoyable. Stupendous at the WL price they had it on.

tytiger58

In-laws are over..starting out with Italian chard, 2012 Cantina Terlan Chardonnay Alto Adige - Südtirol Kreuth

cortot20

After years of the wine I bring to family gatherings all but ignored I drink the wine brought be my wife's uncle. Especially the stuff he attempts to hide for him and his wife to drink with dinner. So I have no idea what it's going to be but most likely in the 12-18 range from costco.

CT

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

ajrod27 coming by for dinner. the forecasted list:
2012 Tercero Roussanne Camp Four
2009 Calstar Chardonnay Sangiacomo
2006 Reininger Helix Pomatia
1997 Hess Collection Napa Cab

Might open up some Hawley Vio as well. Such a beautiful day here in the bay area.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

2007 Mas de la Devèze Cotes du Roussillon “Vieilles Vignes” (Villages)

Man did I buy a lot of wine from garagiste! Much more selective, now, with a few auto buys from them--Fontodi, Galardi, Rinaldi Barolo and aged Rieslings of any sort usually come to mind.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

cortot20 wrote:After years of the wine I bring to family gatherings all but ignored I drink the wine brought be my wife's uncle. Especially the stuff he attempts to hide for him and his wife to drink with dinner. So I have no idea what it's going to be but most likely in the 12-18 range from costco.

I think this is sad and hilarious all at the same time...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

2006 Tallulah Syrah Bald Mountain Ranch
Fruit, spice, pepper, acid, tannin;
still, imo, way too young, but quite tasty with grilled lamb.
Decant for sediment.

CT

jmdavidson

2007 I Giusti & Zanza Dulcamara Toscana IGT (CS, merlot, petite verdot). Drinking really well at this age in the bottle. Nice blend that went well will fillet mignon as well as the baked ziti.

kylemittskus

rjquillin wrote:2006 Tallulah Syrah Bald Mountain Ranch
Fruit, spice, pepper, acid, tannin;
still, imo, way too young, but quite tasty with grilled lamb.
Decant for sediment.

Love, love that wine. I'm out, though.

klezman

1) End of the Rudi Weist Riesling from yesterday
2) Winters Hill 2006 Pinot Noir, Cuvee de Vigneron
3) Provenance Port

cmaldoon

2010 Vino Noceto Sangiovesse Riserva

Tasted at the tasting room in Plymouth today. Joined my first wine club..... I need to drink more sangiovesse because it goes so well with food.

My Cellar

tytiger58

tytiger58 wrote:In-laws are over..starting out with Italian chard, 2012 Cantina Terlan Chardonnay Alto Adige - Südtirol Kreuth

Threw in some extra bottles cause i'm not drinking plonk on Easter!..
2009 Tolaini Al Passo Toscana IGT
2012 Tenuta delle Terre Nere Etna Rosso
2008 Vino Noceto Sangiovese Riserva

otolith

tytiger58 wrote:Threw in some extra bottles cause i'm not drinking plonk on Easter!..

One should never drink plonk, regardless.

--John Muir

jmdavidson

otolith wrote:One should never drink plonk, regardless.

Life if too short to drink bad wine!

rjquillin

otolith wrote:One should never drink plonk, regardless.

And especially so on your B-day.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg

2005 GunBun Block 13 CS. Yum. Wish it weren't the last bottle.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

klezman

2004 Eaglepoint Ranch Winery Coro Mendocino. I really wish I'd bought a case of each wine from them when they went out of business.

trifecta

quality posts: 74 Private Messages trifecta

2011 Sans Liege Cotes du Coast. White Rhone blend. Pretty damn tasty. Love the salinity and mineral zing.

tytiger58

1997 Domaine Pontifical Châteauneuf-du-Pape this is peaking IMHO and really good!

kylemittskus

My go-to weeknight bubbles choice: TJ's Cava that has a black label.

cortot20

2012 Yalumba Viognier Y Series
With chicken and veggie risotto.

Really an odd nose but the palate was really nice. Wouldn't repurchase though.

CT

klezman

2007 Scott Harvey J&S Reserve Barbera to celebrate the return of non-kosher and leavened bread (with pizza)

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders
klezman wrote:2007 Scott Harvey J&S Reserve Barbera to celebrate the return of non-kosher and leavened bread (with pizza)

Had some of the regular SH Mountain Barbera last night. Delicious! I seem to like Scott's lower end wines better than the Reserves. Is that possible?

chipgreen

randysanders wrote:Had some of the regular SH Mountain Barbera last night. Delicious! I seem to like Scott's lower end wines better than the Reserves. Is that possible?

Absolutely. We had both the red & white label Barberas at one of Scott's winemaker dinners a couple years ago and a number of us preferred the red label Barbera to the white label (although both were delicious). Scott said that the only reason the J&S Reserve is priced higher than the Mt. Selection is because he pays more for the J&S fruit. He seemed to think that the fruit quality was about equal and the difference between the two labels a matter of personal preference.

klezman

randysanders wrote:Had some of the regular SH Mountain Barbera last night. Delicious! I seem to like Scott's lower end wines better than the Reserves. Is that possible?

What Chip said - plus the main difference is the style. Red label is more "new world" while white label is a little more "old world" in style/intention. To each their own. I prefer white label.

kylemittskus

2009 Casa Marin Litoral Vineyard PN

otolith

klezman wrote:What Chip said - plus the main difference is the style. Red label is more "new world" while white label is a little more "old world" in style/intention. To each their own. I prefer white label.

That's good to know! I would fall into the white label as well.

Finished off 2003 Corison Cab from Monday.

--John Muir

chipgreen

Attempted to drink my first ever Melon de Bourgogne, a 2007 Château de Goulaine Muscadet de Sèvre-et-Maine Sur Lie. Unfortunately, it was badly oxidized and I poured it down the drain.

Anyone here have experience with Melon de Bourgogne? According to Oz Clarke, Sèvre-et-Maine is the best region for Muscadet and Sur Lie aging results in wines that can age gracefully for up to 10 years. Obviously not the case with the bottle I tried.

Next up, an off-dry Finger Lakes red, N.V. Eagle Crest "Midnight Moon". Despite being listed at only 1% RS, it's cloyingly sweet. I'm halfway through the bottle and it too may end up down the drain. I must have liked it when I sampled it at the winery... either my palate is changing or this is an example of how a few sips in the tasting room can be misleading. Or both.