klezman

quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:A reckless "mistake" isn't a mistake in the ordinary language sense. The ordinary language sense of mistake presumes, or at least implies, an error made in more or less good faith; reporting an item with a reckless disregard for the truth or falsity of the item negates any presumption of good faith and, in fact strongly suggests bad faith.

Fair enough. Silly me for presuming innocence. So three categories it is. To me there is still a major difference between even a reckless unverified story that is later corrected and something put out there deliberately as lies. Maybe not a massive difference, but a difference nonetheless.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
klezman wrote:Fair enough. Silly me for presuming innocence. So three categories it is. To me there is still a major difference between even a reckless unverified story that is later corrected and something put out there deliberately as lies. Maybe not a massive difference, but a difference nonetheless.

Sort of like the difference between manslaughter and murder?

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.

rpm

quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
zTimothyBz wrote:Sort of like the difference between manslaughter and murder?

Not a bad analogy: from the victim's viewpoint there is no difference at all. With manslaughter/murder, she's still dead.... with reckless disregards/intentional lie, her reputation is still besmirched.

And, regardless of the lesser punishment, he's still a killer/slanderer.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85

On lighter note!

Go buy Ivanka's stuff!

edlada

quality posts: 8 Private Messages edlada

I find it rather sad and disturbing that the President's senior advisor is hawking the President's daughter's goods while serving in her official capacity. And it is just as disturbing that the President is tweeting about how unfair it is that Nordstroms has dropped his daughter's line. Aren't there more important things going on at the moment?

My dogs like me, that is important.

rpm

edlada wrote:I find it rather sad and disturbing that the President's senior advisor is hawking the President's daughter's goods while serving in her official capacity. And it is just as disturbing that the President is tweeting about how unfair it is that Nordstroms has dropped his daughter's line. Aren't there more important things going on at the moment?

at least tweets don't take a lot of time or thought....

In fairness, you'd be miffed if someone did your kid a business dirty, too, I suspect....

but, I agree it's hardly the same thing as (as I used to joke about my job in a black vault at [censored]) worrying about the fate of the Western world.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 231 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rpm wrote:Not a bad analogy: from the victim's viewpoint there is no difference at all. With manslaughter/murder, she's still dead.... with reckless disregards/intentional lie, her reputation is still besmirched.

And, regardless of the lesser punishment, he's still a killer/slanderer.

Especially when the initial "report" was front page and the retraction was buried inside.

Or in today's electronic world, highlighted and any retraction hidden under another section.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

awl85

quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85

rpm

awl85 wrote:Oh, Canada!

Except for the adverse tax effects of giving up your American citizenship, you have the absolute right to go to any country that will take you. Most nations borders are somewhat less porous, and their immigration requirements somewhat more difficult, than ours.... despite what you may think of He Who Must Not Be Named.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
rpm wrote:Except for the adverse tax effects of giving up your American citizenship, you have the absolute right to go to any country that will take you. Most nations borders are somewhat less porous, and their immigration requirements somewhat more difficult, than ours.... despite what you may think of He Who Must Not Be Named.

I interpreted that comment/link in a very different way...

rpm

chemvictim wrote:I interpreted that comment/link in a very different way...

OK

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

bhodilee

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
chemvictim wrote:I interpreted that comment/link in a very different way...

They all wanna piece of that poutine.

I think that's a Beyonce song.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 231 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Of course, there's this proof of Trump Tie in Russia! ;)

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.