klezman


quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:Fixed that for you

Edit: Also, we never hear about Methane and N2O which also suck, it's always CO2 and just like "Global Warming' I think it's harmful to preach and preach about CO2. I know that you know, but most don't know, you know?



I know. CH4 is only, what, 10x more powerful than CO2?

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
klezman wrote:I know. CH4 is only, what, 10x more powerful than CO2?



something like that, but we just make cow fart jokes and move on.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chemvictim


quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
bhodilee wrote:something like that, but we just make cow fart jokes and move on.



That is the first thing I thought of when I read your earlier comment. I wonder if the president can issue an executive order banning cow farts. Hold it in, cows.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 68 Private Messages ddeuddeg

For generations, U.S. presidents have gone to great lengths to avoid potential conflicts of interest. When I was elected, I followed suit by placing my small business in a blind trust to assure our citizens that I would always put the country’s interests ahead of my own. It’s a vital presidential tradition. That’s why I find it a bit curious that our new commander-in-chief has been allowed to ignore it.

For Christ’s sake, you people made me get rid of my peanut farm before you let me be president.

I grew up on that farm. When my father died, I moved back home and worked those fields with my own two hands to keep it afloat. It was a hard job, but it was so rewarding. It wasn’t just a business—it was the place I called home. Letting go of the family farm was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, but I did it because the American people asked me to. I did it for their sake, without enthusiasm, but also without hesitation.

Boy, times sure have changed, haven’t they? I couldn’t help but notice that the current occupant of the White House owns more than 500 companies, has business interests across the Middle East and Asia, and owes hundreds of millions of dollars to banks he is now responsible for regulating. It seems a touch unfair that a bigger fuss was made about my little peanut operation than all his office towers, hotels, and golf courses combined. All I had was a farm, you know? A small, precious farm.

Seriously, it was just a few fields and a warehouse, and you idiots still appointed a special prosecutor and spent six months investigating it.

Not a day goes by when I don’t think about what life would be like if I still had my peanut farm. I miss it so much. I miss feeling the sun on my face. I miss the earth in my hands. Sometimes, I’d go out to the fields before dawn. I’d watch the sun come up, watch it cast golden light on my plants, row by row. It was so calm; so quiet. Those were some of the best days of my life. It sure would’ve been nice to live out the rest of my years there, but I had to do what was right. I suppose only some of us have to.

God, I loved that peanut farm!

And where were my conflicts of interest, exactly? Seriously, do enlighten me, America, because I honestly have no idea. Did you worry I might be cutting deals in back rooms with the peanut butter lobby? Or that I might be too busy at harvest time to focus on the economy or the Middle East? Apparently, you did, and almost obsessively. Meanwhile, your new president holds a lease from the federal government to operate a $200 million hotel six blocks from the White House. I mean, come on!

Maybe I’m just a sucker. Apparently, all I needed to do was hand off control of the farm to my family. If I’d staged an elaborate song and dance about distancing myself—whatever that means—from all the day-to-day planting, picking, and salting, maybe I could have kept my peanut farm with the full blessing of you, the American people.

Besides, that peanut farm would probably be worth $200 million today, easy.

Jimmy Carter

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
chemvictim wrote:That is the first thing I thought of when I read your earlier comment. I wonder if the president can issue an executive order banning cow farts. Hold it in, cows.



No, that was Al Gore trying to deal with cow flatulence in a Rush Limbaugh parody. Pretty funny, though....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 231 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
chemvictim wrote:That is the first thing I thought of when I read your earlier comment. I wonder if the president can issue an executive order banning cow farts. Hold it in, cows.



Don't laugh. They're trying to do that here in the People’s Republic of California.

Cow Fart Regulations Approved By California’s Legislature

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

chemvictim


quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim
MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't laugh. They're trying to do that here in the People’s Republic of California.

Cow Fart Regulations Approved By California’s Legislature



You people over there are crazy. :P
Maybe...we could build a dome over the cow pastures. Yes! The best dome anybody has ever seen, and the cows will pay for it.

tiger7610


quality posts: 20 Private Messages tiger7610

Cows are a big portion of methane and warming gasses, there is work done to reduce that. Bigger problem we have is sea level rising, soon we wont even have florida.

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
tiger7610 wrote:Cows are a big portion of methane and warming gasses, there is work done to reduce that. Bigger problem we have is sea level rising, soon we wont even have florida.



So, instead of hanging Chads, we'll have Chads hanging ten?

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

edlada


quality posts: 8 Private Messages edlada
ddeuddeg wrote:For generations, U.S. presidents have gone to great lengths to avoid potential conflicts of interest. When I was elected, I followed suit by placing my small business in a blind trust to assure our citizens that I would always put the country’s interests ahead of my own. It’s a vital presidential tradition. That’s why I find it a bit curious that our new commander-in-chief has been allowed to ignore it.

For Christ’s sake, you people made me get rid of my peanut farm before you let me be president.

I grew up on that farm. When my father died, I moved back home and worked those fields with my own two hands to keep it afloat. It was a hard job, but it was so rewarding. It wasn’t just a business—it was the place I called home. Letting go of the family farm was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, but I did it because the American people asked me to. I did it for their sake, without enthusiasm, but also without hesitation.

Boy, times sure have changed, haven’t they? I couldn’t help but notice that the current occupant of the White House owns more than 500 companies, has business interests across the Middle East and Asia, and owes hundreds of millions of dollars to banks he is now responsible for regulating. It seems a touch unfair that a bigger fuss was made about my little peanut operation than all his office towers, hotels, and golf courses combined. All I had was a farm, you know? A small, precious farm.

Seriously, it was just a few fields and a warehouse, and you idiots still appointed a special prosecutor and spent six months investigating it.

Not a day goes by when I don’t think about what life would be like if I still had my peanut farm. I miss it so much. I miss feeling the sun on my face. I miss the earth in my hands. Sometimes, I’d go out to the fields before dawn. I’d watch the sun come up, watch it cast golden light on my plants, row by row. It was so calm; so quiet. Those were some of the best days of my life. It sure would’ve been nice to live out the rest of my years there, but I had to do what was right. I suppose only some of us have to.

God, I loved that peanut farm!

And where were my conflicts of interest, exactly? Seriously, do enlighten me, America, because I honestly have no idea. Did you worry I might be cutting deals in back rooms with the peanut butter lobby? Or that I might be too busy at harvest time to focus on the economy or the Middle East? Apparently, you did, and almost obsessively. Meanwhile, your new president holds a lease from the federal government to operate a $200 million hotel six blocks from the White House. I mean, come on!

Maybe I’m just a sucker. Apparently, all I needed to do was hand off control of the farm to my family. If I’d staged an elaborate song and dance about distancing myself—whatever that means—from all the day-to-day planting, picking, and salting, maybe I could have kept my peanut farm with the full blessing of you, the American people.

Besides, that peanut farm would probably be worth $200 million today, easy.

Jimmy Carter



You forgot to attribute that to The Onion. Somebody here might think Jimmy actually said that!

My dogs like me, that is important.

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
edlada wrote:You forgot to attribute that to The Onion. Somebody here might think Jimmy actually said that!



It's true, it's so much the sort of thing he might have said, and if he didn't, he should have....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

tiger7610


quality posts: 20 Private Messages tiger7610

Maybe the other side news has more info on this, but I heard that Trump and his advisors are allowed to keep private servers? Isnt it what republicans were so upset about with Clinton?

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
tiger7610 wrote:Cows are a big portion of methane and warming gasses, there is work done to reduce that. Bigger problem we have is sea level rising, soon we wont even have florida.



at one point someone had an invention that would strap onto the cows back, capture the methane and then later use it for power generation. basically, every cow would have a f'n methane balloon.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee
tiger7610 wrote:Maybe the other side news has more info on this, but I heard that Trump and his advisors are allowed to keep private servers? Isnt it what republicans were so upset about with Clinton?



I think it is more that they are using the RNC's private server instead of official gubmint computers, not that they have on stashed in their basement. Any elected or appointed by an elected official should not be able to use a private server of any kind in my mind. Not for business at least.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
bhodilee wrote:I think it is more that they are using the RNC's private server instead of official gubmint computers, not that they have on stashed in their basement. Any elected or appointed by an elected official should not be able to use a private server of any kind in my mind. Not for business at least.



I'm willing to give the Trump people the benefit of the doubt for a few weeks as they transition their folks in and get their government accounts and clearances all set up and running. In theory it should all be done, up and running so that the instant after the oat is taken all the old guys are out and the new guys in, but as a practical matter (even assuming full cooperation and the best of goodwill on both sides) it may take some time.

That said, within a reasonably short time, everything to do with government business should be on government servers/computers/devices that are properly secured.

As edlada knows even better than I do, security is a Sour Patch to get done and get done right, but the cost of not being secure can be catastrophic.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

edlada


quality posts: 8 Private Messages edlada
rpm wrote:I'm willing to give the Trump people the benefit of the doubt for a few weeks as they transition their folks in and get their government accounts and clearances all set up and running. In theory it should all be done, up and running so that the instant after the oat is taken all the old guys are out and the new guys in, but as a practical matter (even assuming full cooperation and the best of goodwill on both sides) it may take some time.

That said, within a reasonably short time, everything to do with government business should be on government servers/computers/devices that are properly secured.

As edlada knows even better than I do, security is a Sour Patch to get done and get done right, but the cost of not being secure can be catastrophic.



Absolutely. In the case of the WH, the infrastructure is undoubtedly there but TS and higher clearances are a Sour Patch to do correctly. They can issue interim clearances and then what happens if the final clearance doesn't go through?

My dogs like me, that is important.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 231 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
tiger7610 wrote:Maybe the other side news has more info on this, but I heard that Trump and his advisors are allowed to keep private servers? Isnt it what republicans were so upset about with Clinton?



No, it was the fact she used the private, badly secured private server for everything!

You use the gubmint servers for gubmint related business, and private servers for non-gubmint personal (no gubmint stuff!) business.

You know, like under the table deals with foreign gubmints for uranium.

       x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tiger7610


quality posts: 20 Private Messages tiger7610

It seems that they are using it for everything for now. Also trump apparently is still twitting from his unsecured phone.

MarkDaSpark wrote:No, it was the fact she used the private, badly secured private server for everything!

You use the gubmint servers for gubmint related business, and private servers for non-gubmint personal (no gubmint stuff!) business.

You know, like under the table deals with foreign gubmints for uranium.



bhodilee


quality posts: 34 Private Messages bhodilee

I love Sean Spicer, he's my favorite person on earth. I'm dead serious.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

tiger7610


quality posts: 20 Private Messages tiger7610

someone who doesnt know the onion?

bhodilee wrote:I love Sean Spicer, he's my favorite person on earth. I'm dead serious.



klezman


quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
awl85 wrote:Detroit family caught in Iraq travel ban, mom dies waiting to come home



BUT THE TERRORISTS!!!!
(Yes, I am utterly disgusted by that poorly conceived travel ban)

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

tytiger58


quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58
klezman wrote:BUT THE TERRORISTS!!!!
(Yes, I am utterly disgusted by that poorly conceived travel ban)



He's not smart enough to know that it's the Canadians that should have been banned

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson




klezman


quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
tytiger58 wrote:He's not smart enough to know that it's the Canadians that should have been banned



Meh...I've got my anchor wife and anchor baby.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 286 Private Messages rjquillin
klezman wrote:Meh...I've got my anchor wife and anchor baby.

You are also very gainfully employed, and not a drain on resources.
:no appropriate gif found:

CT

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
awl85 wrote:Detroit family caught in Iraq travel ban, mom dies waiting to come home



Turned out it wasn't true - the lady died a couple of weeks ago, before the ban. Fake News.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

awl85


quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
rpm wrote:Turned out it wasn't true - the lady died a couple of weeks ago, before the ban. Fake News.



Yup. Correction story: Man who claimed mom died in Iraq after Trump's ban lied, Imam confirms

klezman


quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:Fake News.



Can we reserve that epithet/moniker for things intended by their authors and outlets to be untrue? Stories that "jump the gun" and get people riled up before all the evidence is in, while irritating and of low journalistic integrity, are not "fake news". Those stories are corrected and the intent is to disseminate fact. The goal of Fake News is to deliberately disseminate lies.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

jawlz


quality posts: 13 Private Messages jawlz
klezman wrote:Can we reserve that epithet/moniker for things intended by their authors and outlets to be untrue? Stories that "jump the gun" and get people riled up before all the evidence is in, while irritating and of low journalistic integrity, are not "fake news". Those stories are corrected and the intent is to disseminate fact. The goal of Fake News is to deliberately disseminate lies.



I don't know if it's that easy to draw a line there. For example, would you classify as legitimate or fake news Buzzfeed's 'Trump dossier' that other reputable news agencies chose not to report?

Historically, it has been a responsibility incumbent on news outlets to fact-check and verify their stories before reporting them. 'Jumping the gun' to get a story out before verifying it is a real problem, and it crosses into the 'fake news' problem when the initial but incorrect reports/stories fit into and support the overall editorial views that a publication wants to present.

rjquillin


quality posts: 286 Private Messages rjquillin

And while the original will be extensively shared, the same cannot be said for the (correction) retraction.
Fake (unvetted) news makes news.

CT

chipgreen


quality posts: 285 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:Can we reserve that epithet/moniker for things intended by their authors and outlets to be untrue? Stories that "jump the gun" and get people riled up before all the evidence is in, while irritating and of low journalistic integrity, are not "fake news". Those stories are corrected and the intent is to disseminate fact. The goal of Fake News is to deliberately disseminate lies.


How about Reckless News? Almost as bad but I get your point.

awl85


quality posts: 8 Private Messages awl85
rjquillin wrote:And while the original will be extensively shared, the same cannot be said for the (correction) retraction.
Fake (unvetted) news makes news.



The original article or report should be appended or corrected. That way if the original is shared it would contain the additional details to give a more accurate and complete story. Instead, we get a small link that directs to another page with the correction (retraction).

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
klezman wrote:Can we reserve that epithet/moniker for things intended by their authors and outlets to be untrue? Stories that "jump the gun" and get people riled up before all the evidence is in, while irritating and of low journalistic integrity, are not "fake news". Those stories are corrected and the intent is to disseminate fact. The goal of Fake News is to deliberately disseminate lies.



No, in this case I'm going with Fake News because it showed a reckless disregard for the truth... there's little difference in the law of defamation between intentionally false and a reckless disregard for the truth.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

edlada


quality posts: 8 Private Messages edlada
rpm wrote:No, in this case I'm going with Fake News because it showed a reckless disregard for the truth... there's little difference in the law of defamation between intentionally false and a reckless disregard for the truth.



So how do you feel about Trump's reckless disregard for the truth?

My dogs like me, that is important.

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
edlada wrote:So how do you feel about Trump's reckless disregard for the truth?



Fake News is Fake News, it's not a matter of left or right.... I'm an equal opportunity cynic about all politicians.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

klezman


quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
chipgreen wrote:How about Reckless News? Almost as bad but I get your point.



Yeah, I'd say the unverified dossier counts as reckless and irresponsible "journalism". IMO, not fake news, because its existence is real. The contents are simply unverified.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

klezman


quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
awl85 wrote:The original article or report should be appended or corrected. That way if the original is shared it would contain the additional details to give a more accurate and complete story. Instead, we get a small link that directs to another page with the correction (retraction).



Agreed...and responsible journalists do exactly that.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

klezman


quality posts: 174 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:No, in this case I'm going with Fake News because it showed a reckless disregard for the truth... there's little difference in the law of defamation between intentionally false and a reckless disregard for the truth.



So if somebody makes a mistake (whether honestly or recklessly), it's fake news? Just as much "fake news" as one who writes something provably false with intent to deceive? I have a really hard time seeing the two (or is it three?) as equivalent, regardless of what defamation laws would say about ability to recover damages.

I stopped counting bottles. My CT

airynne


quality posts: 0 Private Messages airynne
klezman wrote:So if somebody makes a mistake (whether honestly or recklessly), it's fake news? Just as much "fake news" as one who writes something provably false with intent to deceive? I have a really hard time seeing the two (or is it three?) as equivalent, regardless of what defamation laws would say about ability to recover damages.



I consider both to be fake. The intent at that point, isn't to print the truth or inform the public, it's either to defame or to generate clicks. Neither motive can be considered journalism. Trust in news media is at an all time low and if the "Fourth Estate" wants to be taken seriously in the future, they would do better to check their facts rather than rush to print.

rpm


quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
klezman wrote:So if somebody makes a mistake (whether honestly or recklessly), it's fake news? Just as much "fake news" as one who writes something provably false with intent to deceive? I have a really hard time seeing the two (or is it three?) as equivalent, regardless of what defamation laws would say about ability to recover damages.



A reckless "mistake" isn't a mistake in the ordinary language sense. The ordinary language sense of mistake presumes, or at least implies, an error made in more or less good faith; reporting an item with a reckless disregard for the truth or falsity of the item negates any presumption of good faith and, in fact strongly suggests bad faith.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!