klezman wrote:Interesting points that you make.
I am, however, interested in clarification of the quoted one. What was the daily litany of intentional lying about facts that was committed by the Obama administration? Not spin, not being choosy about what to say, not normal politicking, but outright lies. What was the lie to truth ratio? When - and what was the rate - were they proven false and simply doubled down on the lie?
Edit: this isn't a matter, to me, of defending Obama and vilifying Trump. I'm honestly unable to think of anything approaching the level of disregard for the truth shown by Trump. From any prior administration since I started paying attention, with the closest being Bush/Cheney on WMD in Iraq.
Just some highlights ...
1) Libya springs to mind. First, our reason for going in (Obama lied and people died). Second, the reason for Benghazi .... it was not due to a "video". Third, the Benghazi (Rhodes) email wasn't about Benghazi! Lies upon lies.
2) American Legion Thinks The White House Is Handling The Veterans Administration Beautifully. The actual American Legion statement was, “the move by VA is not a corrective action, but a continuation of business as usual. Dr. Petzel was already scheduled to retire this year, so his resignation now really won’t make that much of a difference.”
3) Obama Will Warn Congress If He Engages in a Taliban Swap. Back on June 21, 2013, Carney stated, “there are some issues that we would like to discuss with the Taliban directly, and this includes the safe return of Sergeant Bergdahl, who has been gone for far too long….As we have long said, however, we would not make any decisions about transfer of any detainees without consulting with Congress and without doing so in accordance with U.S. law.” Right. We know how that went. Repeated.
4) If You Like Your Health Plan, You Can Keep Your Health Plan. Carney was one of many Obama officials who repeated this lie over and over again. As late as October 2013, Carney stated, “The fact of the matter is, if you had insurance on the individual market prior to the passage of the Affordable Care Act, and you have that plan today, you can keep it, you’re grandfathered in forever. No matter how crummy the plan is.” Politifact named it the 2013 Lie of the Year.
5) IRS Scandal Limited. Jay Carney repeated over and over that the IRS scandal was limited to a few rogue employees in Cincinnati. Totally false.
6) Obamacare Enrollment Goal In January 2014, Carney told Major Garrett that the 7 million Obamacare enrollment goal was never a White House figure, it was a Congressional Budget Office estimate, and that other estimates varied. Even after Garrett interrupted him with, “Kathleen Sebelius said on Sept. 30 — this is a direct quote: ‘I think success looks like at least 7 million people having signed up by the end of March 2014,'” Carney continued to try and spin his way out of it.
So, no, he wasn't lying, he was "spinning the truth"!
Edit: You may not remember many, but that's because most of the media looked the other way.
And by all means, keep believing the Bush knew WMD lies. And ignoring the lies that came out of the Obama White House!