klezman

quality posts: 122 Private Messages klezman
rpm wrote:Not to mention the difference in the quality of the vintages....

So I recall 2011 being cool and more rainy than 2009. Other than that sort of information, what references do you use for figuring out vintage quality? Plus, would a cooler vintage mean more classically-styled wines if the winemakers/growers were paying attention? Or is this one of those vintages where you buy from the winemakers you trust as opposed to 2007 where you had to be a real stinker to make crappy wine?

Edit: unintentional Sparky!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
rpm wrote:Did you get that they are not out of 2009 from Scott directly? I understood from the woot powers it was a set up problem and there is no 2009 for anyone on that deal.

Gotta say not a happy camper here, wants me some '09.

No but you can still go and buy it from Scott's website...

Edit: Nevermind, it's much more expensive.

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
otolith wrote:Well, if your husband needs a drink, or a break, send him on up.

One of these days! Although I might not be able to convince him to come back! Until winter, that is.

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
rpm wrote:Anybody else get a note from woot that the 2009 Scott Harvey Reserve Barbara was out of stock and woot proposes to replace it with the 2011?

This is a real pity - I ordered multiple and was really looking forward to the 2009 in a few years.

This is strange because I don't even think he has released a 2010 reserve yet, only the 2010 mountain selection.

let alone the 2011 reserve.... weird. If it was me I would go for the refund instead of replacement. More cellar time needed, no info on the 2011, etc...

Glad I already have quite a few bottles.

mother

On another note- that new 2nd day shipping doesn't seem to be working out properly either.

It's now 3 days after I ordered the Lucas RRV PN w/ 2 day shipping, and I don't even have tracking info, none the less wine or a telltale phone call saying I need to be home for wineage.

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
mother wrote:On another note- that new 2nd day shipping doesn't seem to be working out properly either.

It's now 3 days after I ordered the Lucas RRV PN w/ 2 day shipping, and I don't even have tracking info, none the less wine or a telltale phone call saying I need to be home for wineage.

The wine goes out at the same time as standard shipping but the boxes have rocket packs that allow the package to get to your house in just two days.

CT

mother

cortot20 wrote:The wine goes out at the same time as standard shipping but the boxes have rocket packs that allow the package to get to your house in just two days.

Yeah, see, that's not how it works anywhere else on the intaarwebs...

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
mother wrote:Yeah, see, that's not how it works anywhere else on the intaarwebs...

But that's how it was explained in the thread announcing it. They never said you would get it in 2 days. They said that when it ships, it would get send 2-day so that it wouldn't have long travel times once it left WCC.

Plus, this is Woot....you actually expect things to work the same as the rest of the interwebz? Silly, silly mother.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

mother

HitAnyKey42 wrote:But that's how it was explained in the thread announcing it. They never said you would get it in 2 days. They said that when it ships, it would get send 2-day so that it wouldn't have long travel times once it left WCC.

Plus, this is Woot....you actually expect things to work the same as the rest of the interwebz? Silly, silly mother.

What they put on a thread announcing something is wholly irrelevant when the checkout page offers you "Standard Summer(3-8 business days)" or "Two Day(2 business days)" as your shipping options.

As to what I used to know about Woot, I've barely purchased in months and they've changed just about every aspect of how they do business in that time. Everything I order from other sites has shown up in like 3 days or less.

Why on earth would they both offering 2 day vs 3-4 day shipping when there is a variable 3-28 day delay before that shipping happens? It makes absolutely no sense!

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
mother wrote:What they put on a thread announcing something is wholly irrelevant when the checkout page offers you "Standard Summer(3-8 business days)" or "Two Day(2 business days)" as your shipping options.

As to what I used to know about Woot, I've barely purchased in months and they've changed just about every aspect of how they do business in that time. Everything I order from other sites has shown up in like 3 days or less.

Why on earth would they both offering 2 day vs 3-4 day shipping when there is a variable 3-28 day delay before that shipping happens? It makes absolutely no sense!

Agreed. But, I guess I'm not surprised that the wine didn't show up today. I just assumed that when it actually shipped, it would take 2 days (unless you're on the West Coast, then it doesn't matter what you choose for shipping, you'll almost always get your wine the next day).

I tried to put 2 things in the cart as well (1 from w.w, one from juvie). If I did standard shipping, it was $7. If I chose 2 day shipping, it jumped to $15. Wiring the Future!?? So if I decide to pay more for shipping, I have to pay the additional normal $5 charge for shipping, too? At least I didn't see that I got charged for tax this time around...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mother

The shipping thing is an unfortunate issue that I deal with regularly in my professional life:

The trouble isn't not doing something, it's setting expectations and then not meeting them.

Do not offer "Two Day(2 busines day)" shipping if it is in fact "Two Day(5-10 business day)" shipping. I would not have faulted them for not offering the Two-day, but once they did and even clarified that it's two business days, they have now CLEARLY set an expectation that they could never keep.

otolith wrote:Agreed. But, I guess I'm not surprised that the wine didn't show up today.

I wasn't surprised it didn't come yesterday, but I was a little surprised it didn't come today, and very surprised that it hasn't even shipped yet.
(But not as surprised as I am that there seems to be shenanigans going on at Scott Harvey!)

otolith

mother wrote:The shipping thing is an unfortunate issue that I deal with regularly in my professional life:

The trouble isn't not doing something, it's setting expectations and then not meeting them.

Do not offer "Two Day(2 busines day)" shipping if it is in fact "Two Day(5-10 business day)" shipping. I would not have faulted them for not offering the Two-day, but once they did and even clarified that it's two business days, they have now CLEARLY set an expectation that they could never keep.

I wasn't surprised it didn't come yesterday, but I was a little surprised it didn't come today, and very surprised that it hasn't even shipped yet.
(But not as surprised as I am that there seems to be shenanigans going on at Scott Harvey!)

I was hopeful on the 2 day shipping that I would have gotten it within the 2-3 day window. It's what I wanted to expect based on the wording, but not surprised it didn't show up. Thankfully I have some wine at home to tide me over.

Now, to read up on smoking a brisket.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

chemvictim

otolith wrote:Now, to read up on smoking a brisket.

Yum.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
mother wrote:
As to what I used to know about Woot, I've barely purchased in months and they've changed just about every aspect of how they do business in that time.

Including what's allowed on the pub. It used to be our haven, where you could avoid cluttering the main thread and offending the winemakers, but still say what's on your mind. Now we have a staff member saying we have to take the high road, because this is a public forum, where people can read what we've said about them. And a volunteer moderator who proudly proclaims "LURKIN IN TEH SHADOZE, STOMPIN ON UR 1ST AMNDMINT RITES."
Ok, maybe

Sorry, but I've met some of my best friends, been on three rpm tours, traveled around the country going to wine tastings, all because of this pub, and it's not going down easy to see it changing this way.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

klezman

^^^ What he said

Although, honestly, I never would have thought w.w. set the expectation of having your wine 2-3 days post-sale with the upgraded shipping. Then again, I didn't think about it much since ground shipping here is 2 days.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:Agreed. But, I guess I'm not surprised that the wine didn't show up today. I just assumed that when it actually shipped, it would take 2 days (unless you're on the West Coast, then it doesn't matter what you choose for shipping, you'll almost always get your wine the next day).

Except when a Sonoma shipper manages to get your case into a LTL truck heading to Ohio. Humm Sonoma -> Ohio -> San Diego. Kinda worried about ground from OH to CA. Supposed to arrive tomorrow...

CT

chemvictim

DH made the New York cheesecake from Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Bible. He used half the citrus zest called for, and it was really good. Cooked up perfectly. Next time I think we'll cut the zest a little more even. All praise Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Bible.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Don't you just love neighbors who have a party, outdoors, with music and loud chatting, til after 1 AM? Especially ones that never invite you, even though you never call the cops or argue or be a bad neighbor?

Unlike them. First 4th of July, they set off a ton of bottle rockets that ended up in my yard or on my roof (or for weeks after, falling off my roof into my yard). Didn't say anything to them or call the cops,

Plus they used to have the basketball hoop in their driveway close to my house, and would continually hit the window shade panels (metal louvered panels that project out from the window to provide shade) or the house itself with the basketball.

Worst neighbors I've ever had.

Thank FSM/God/Buddha I have terrific neighbors on the other side.

Edit: They finally went inside around 1:40 AM. After serenading us with 50's tune sing-a-longs.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Including what's allowed on the pub. It used to be our haven, where you could avoid cluttering the main thread and offending the winemakers, but still say what's on your mind. Now we have a staff member saying we have to take the high road, because this is a public forum, where people can read what we've said about them. And a volunteer moderator who proudly proclaims "LURKIN IN TEH SHADOZE, STOMPIN ON UR 1ST AMNDMINT RITES."
Ok, maybe

Sorry, but I've met some of my best friends, been on three rpm tours, traveled around the country going to wine tastings, all because of this pub, and it's not going down easy to see it changing this way.

But our new Master Control Programs have proclaimed that "All your base belong to us"!

Edit: Methinks the Code Monkeys have been watching too much Tron lately!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:Don't you just love neighbors who have a party, outdoors, with music and loud chatting, til after 1 AM? Especially ones that never invite you, even though you never call the cops or argue or be a bad neighbor?

Unlike them. First 4th of July, they set off a ton of bottle rockets that ended up in my yard or on my roof (or for weeks after, falling off my roof into my yard). Didn't say anything to them or call the cops,

Plus they used to have the basketball hoop in their driveway close to my house, and would continually hit the window shade panels (metal louvered panels that project out from the window to provide shade) or the house itself with the basketball.

Worst neighbors I've ever had.

Thank FSM/God/Buddha I have terrific neighbors on the other side.

Edit: They finally went inside around 1:40 AM. After serenading us with 50's tune sing-a-longs.

NFH the ones on the left?

CT

ddeuddeg

chemvictim wrote:DH made the New York cheesecake from Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Bible. He used half the citrus zest called for, and it was really good. Cooked up perfectly. Next time I think we'll cut the zest a little more even. All praise Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Bible.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad you enjoyed it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

ddeuddeg

MarkDaSpark wrote:But our new Master Control Programs have proclaimed that "All your base belong to us"!

Edit: Methinks the Code Monkeys have been watching too much Tron lately!

Seriously. They're even hypersensitive about being called Overlords.

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
rjquillin wrote:Except when a Sonoma shipper manages to get your case into a LTL truck heading to Ohio. Humm Sonoma -> Ohio -> San Diego. Kinda worried about ground from OH to CA. Supposed to arrive tomorrow...

I ordered something from another site (gasp!) at the end of May. With all of the craziness of the end of the school year, I forgot all about it until last weekend when I decided to check to see if ddeuddeg picked it up for me or if FedEx was just holding it for me and hadn't called. It turns out that this site decided to change shippers to UPS for the summer so that they could offer refrigerated shipping to a central point and then, one day from whatever hub UPS is using. Two problems: My wine shipping goes to FedEx/Kinko's for this site since they use FedEx (never bothered to change info on their website. Still haven't) and FedEx won't accept deliveries from the big brown truck! I suppose I should say three problems: my wine has done a round trip from California to Buffalo twice so far (the website people never bothered to contact me) and it is now on its way to the UPS depot near me! I did mention my concern about this wine being cooked--hopefully, they had instituted this refrigerated shipping on the first trip, but was it refrigerated on the way back to Cali? There has been some hot weather out there lately.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz

Oh. My.

I've just slogged through this week's pub. I haven't even bothered going to the main threads.

At first I was wondering if this new guy was just making an impression similar to when clayfu joined.

Now I'm wondering if it's time to start to think about moving the pub to another site.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta
bahwm wrote:but was it refrigerated on the way back to Cali? There has been some hot weather out there lately.

Really hot! Good luck.

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:NFH the ones on the left?

If by left, you mean South (on left looking at street, on right if looking at house from street), then yes.

The parents may have been away, so it may have been the older kids hosting. Although using 50's songs??

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:Seriously. They're even hypersensitive about being called Overlords.

Wouldn't you be? I prefer Benevolent Exalted Tastemaster Supreme for my title.

chemvictim

MarkDaSpark wrote:Plus they used to have the basketball hoop in their driveway close to my house, and would continually hit the window shade panels (metal louvered panels that project out from the window to provide shade) or the house itself with the basketball.

Now that would really piss me off. Personal space extends throughout the house and yard. Intrusions are most unwelcome.

Did the basketball do any damage?

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:Now that would really piss me off. Personal space extends throughout the house and yard. Intrusions are most unwelcome.

Did the basketball do any damage?

It knocked one of the louvers loose. I waited and waited for weeks for them to fix it, but then did it myself (just push it back on the frame).

One of grills covering the airway into the foundation disappeared, and they never said a word. Picked up a replacement and covered it back up.

Same neighbors had a long shade cover for their car in the driveway between our house, and the year before, when it got really windy, it blew over the fence into my yard. Not really a problem, but then last year they tied it down to one of my bushes. Really? Talk about intrusions.

otolith

ddeuddeg wrote:Including what's allowed on the pub. It used to be our haven, where you could avoid cluttering the main thread and offending the winemakers, but still say what's on your mind. Now we have a staff member saying we have to take the high road, because this is a public forum, where people can read what we've said about them. And a volunteer moderator who proudly proclaims "LURKIN IN TEH SHADOZE, STOMPIN ON UR 1ST AMNDMINT RITES."
Ok, maybe

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. They don't necessarily know our history (when's the last time something has had to be modded that wasn't spam?), and that we're generally well behaved, even when arguing. And, I just assume they're used to having to mod like they would on the juvie.woot side of things.

--John Muir

otolith

rjquillin wrote:Except when a Sonoma shipper manages to get your case into a LTL truck heading to Ohio. Humm Sonoma -> Ohio -> San Diego. Kinda worried about ground from OH to CA. Supposed to arrive tomorrow...

exception≠rule

--John Muir

otolith

MarkDaSpark wrote:It knocked one of the louvers loose. I waited and waited for weeks for them to fix it, but then did it myself (just push it back on the frame).

One of grills covering the airway into the foundation disappeared, and they never said a word. Picked up a replacement and covered it back up.

Same neighbors had a long shade cover for their car in the driveway between our house, and the year before, when it got really windy, it blew over the fence into my yard. Not really a problem, but then last year they tied it down to one of my bushes. Really? Talk about intrusions.

Maybe you should get really pissed off at them once...

edit: ok, gotta go out and clean up the rest of the tree branches from the storm last week.

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

otolith wrote:Maybe you should get really pissed off at them once...

edit: ok, gotta go out and clean up the rest of the tree branches from the storm last week.

Nah, I save that for here!

klezman

Woot! Bay Area trip next weekend...anybody want to meet up?

otolith

MarkDaSpark wrote:Nah, I save that for here!

Sounds more w(h)iney than angry.

--John Muir

rjquillin

MarkDaSpark wrote:If by left, you mean South (on left looking at street, on right if looking at house from street), then yes.

The parents may have been away, so it may have been the older kids hosting. Although using 50's songs??

Cardinal directions, when in unfamiliar surrounds, are to me, meaningless; but I get the point. "Left" was your driveway side, and I thought that unlikely based on an evening conversation, but just curious.

CT

rjquillin

otolith wrote:exception≠rule

Absolutely true, with the quantity I receive, I can attest the error rate is exceedingly low.

Now, do I open my just delivered R. Merlo PN that finally made it to San Diego via Ohio and FedEx home ground?
Just to see what may have happened to it...

CT

ddeuddeg

otolith wrote:I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt. They don't necessarily know our history (when's the last time something has had to be modded that wasn't spam?), and that we're generally well behaved, even when arguing. And, I just assume they're used to having to mod like they would on the juvie.woot side of things.

Thanks for your thoughts on this. Nice to hear a voice of calm and reason. I tried that the other day, but didn't do as well as I wanted to do.

rjquillin

bahwm wrote:Two problems: My wine shipping goes to FedEx/Kinko's for this site since they use FedEx (never bothered to change info on their website. Still haven't) and FedEx won't accept deliveries from the big brown truck! I suppose I should say three problems: my wine has done a round trip from California to Buffalo twice so far (the website people never bothered to contact me) and it is now on its way to the UPS depot near me! I did mention my concern about this wine being cooked--hopefully, they had instituted this refrigerated shipping on the first trip, but was it refrigerated on the way back to Cali? There has been some hot weather out there lately.

Clearly you are stingy in your sharing with the FedEx staff.
My office accepts the brown truck, GSO and USPS for me.

We should compare notes on your shipment and my R. Merlo PN via Ohio.

CT

otolith

ddeuddeg wrote:Thanks for your thoughts on this. Nice to hear a voice of calm and reason. I tried that the other day, but didn't do as well as I wanted to do.

Happens to the best of us.

And it is rare that I am the voice of calm and reason. Might have to mark this day in the calendar. heh

--John Muir