kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus
MarkDaSpark wrote:Huh???

Because anytime someone conservative says something, it's automatically racist? All I was trying to point out is that the progressive POV is that anyone against their POV is automatically racist. Which is racist in and of itself!

It has nothing to do with you being conservative. And your "any time blah blah" is absurd and I'm getting tired of straw men.

It has to do with your post where you stereotyped multiple groups of people under the nebulous term "minority" and said that most break the law. Seems to be in direct opposition to your "we need to fight false stereotypes" post immediately above.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
kylemittskus wrote:It has nothing to do with you being conservative. And your "any time blah blah" is absurd and I'm getting tired of straw men.

It has to do with your post where you stereotyped multiple groups of people under the nebulous term "minority" and said that most break the law. Seems to be in direct opposition to your "we need to fight false stereotypes" post immediately above.

Did I miss that? Cause the only thing even close to that I saw was pretty clearly a joke, replete with tongue out emoticon. If you didn't see it as a joke, perhaps you need to look at it again, cause I tried to be offended by it, and couldn't take it any other way than as a joke.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim
MarkDaSpark wrote:
ADL's Global Survey of Anti-Semitism

I wonder what the choices were for answering.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:Did I miss that? Cause the only thing even close to that I saw was pretty clearly a joke, replete with tongue out emoticon. If you didn't see it as a joke, perhaps you need to look at it again, cause I tried to be offended by it, and couldn't take it any other way than as a joke.

PSquishy lost his sense of humor in a poker game. He hasn't won it back yet.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:I wonder what the choices were for answering.

They must have been interesting ... seems that Sweden is fiercely Anti-Israel, but not so much Anti-Semitic. Which is weird.

And some other Eastern European countries I think were pro-Israel but very Anti-Semitic.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:They must have been interesting ... seems that Sweden is fiercely Anti-Israel, but not so much Anti-Semitic. Which is weird.

And some other Eastern European countries I think were pro-Israel but very Anti-Semitic.

I can see the pro Israel anti-semitic thing. We don't like Jews, keep them in Israel otherwise they might move back here (cause ya know, EVERYONE wants to live in Eastern Europe)

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

edlada

quality posts: 5 Private Messages edlada
bhodilee wrote:I can see the pro Israel anti-semitic thing. We don't like Jews, keep them in Israel otherwise they might move back here (cause ya know, EVERYONE wants to live in Eastern Europe)

Technically Poland is in Central Europe but is always lumped in with Eastern Europe, but at any rate I love living here. If you ever saw how many beautiful Polish women there are, you might come over here too!

My dogs like me, that is important.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Regarding the Hobby Lobby decision, I had pointed out that it can be overturned by Congress, since it isn't based on the Constitution. I see that a bill will be introduced in the House and the Senate to do exactly that.

I give it approximately zero chance of passing. But it certainly will give politicians both for and against the decision something to grandstand about!

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
kylemittskus wrote:It has nothing to do with you being conservative. And your "any time blah blah" is absurd and I'm getting tired of straw men.

PM for you, Kyle

"The older I get the better I was"

bhodilee

edlada wrote:Technically Poland is in Central Europe but is always lumped in with Eastern Europe, but at any rate I love living here. If you ever saw how many beautiful Polish women there are, you might come over here too!

Poland is definitely not Eastern Europe! I would happily go there (I'd happily go to Eastern Europe as well, just not to live), maybe in a few years when the kids are older we'll do that, and by we'll I mean my wife and I.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
chemvictim wrote:I wonder what the choices were for answering.

Before answering the index questions, survey respondents were read the following statement: "I am now going to read out a series of statements, some of them you may think are true and some of them you may think are false. Please say which ones you think are probably true and which ones you think are probably false."

So "Probably True" or "Probably False".

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Reading over this thread ticks me off which is probably why I seldom post here...

"The older I get the better I was"

kylemittskus

losthighwayz wrote:Reading over this thread ticks me off which is probably why I seldom post here...

That's why you should post here. A new voice would be very welcome. Leave your frustrations in this thread and tell us what your poli"ticks" are.

chemvictim

losthighwayz wrote:Reading over this thread ticks me off which is probably why I seldom post here...

That's what keeps it interesting! I've disagreed with plenty of what's been posted here, but I'd love to sit down and have a glass of wine with any of you. You make me think.

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin

Tourists...

Check your payment email account.

Some questions regarding shipping were sent and a significant number of you have not responded.

CT

chemvictim

Things are happening in the world. Surely someone has some thoughts.

Immigration crisis

Hamas v Israel

Thoughts?

And holy crap! Another Malaysian plane went down. Some are saying it was shot down.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
chemvictim wrote:Things are happening in the world. Surely someone has some thoughts.

Immigration crisis

Hamas v Israel

Thoughts?

And holy crap! Another Malaysian plane went down. Some are saying it was shot down.

what exactly makes immigration a "crisis"? I mean, there isn't anything fundamentally different going on now than it has been for years... despite what the media protrays.

What other country in the entire world would receive condemnation for retaliation against another entity firing rockets into populated centers? What other country takes the extraordinary step of notification of targets IN ADVANCE, so that all people can be evacuated, and actually CHANGES strikes based on compliance to evacuation?

What is the difference between Hamas and Israel in response to the killing of individual civilians by members of their community? Hamas stages rallys and festivals in celebration, while Israel arrests and charges with crimes to be decided in court.

How large is Malaysian airlines relative to their country's aviation industry? Will they survive ANOTHER "lost aircraft", 2 within a year?

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:what exactly makes immigration a "crisis"? I mean, there isn't anything fundamentally different going on now than it has been for years... despite what the media protrays.

What other country in the entire world would receive condemnation for retaliation against another entity firing rockets into populated centers? What other country takes the extraordinary step of notification of targets IN ADVANCE, so that all people can be evacuated, and actually CHANGES strikes based on compliance to evacuation?

What is the difference between Hamas and Israel in response to the killing of individual civilians by members of their community? Hamas stages rallys and festivals in celebration, while Israel arrests and charges with crimes to be decided in court.

How large is Malaysian airlines relative to their country's aviation industry? Will they survive ANOTHER "lost aircraft", 2 within a year?

the difference is Israel is actively trying not to kill civilians and Hamas is specifically trying to do just that. It is SO obvious! Of course we're gonna condemn Israel!

Wait a minute, that sounds exactly backwards. Logic center in brain, imploding...

Also: if it really was shot down by a missle, I don't think you could blame Malaysian Airlines, unless their path took them over a known area where that was feasible.

Immigration: Speaking as a Murrican whose ancestors came from various European nations, um....wait, I was gonna have a point...

chemvictim

Re Hamas and Israel, I don't see an obvious solution. I think it's hopeless.

Re immigration, I can appreciate that there are unaccompanied children and they have to be cared for, somehow, for at least a period of time. However, I don't want to do it. I can sympathize with people in these towns who don't want the immigrants housed in their area. I don't have any idea how to fix that. I'm not even sure of the logistics for sending them back.

rjquillin

chemvictim wrote:Re Hamas and Israel, I don't see an obvious solution. I think it's hopeless.

Re immigration, I can appreciate that there are unaccompanied children and they have to be cared for, somehow, for at least a period of time. However, I don't want to do it. I can sympathize with people in these towns who don't want the immigrants housed in their area. I don't have any idea how to fix that. I'm not even sure of the logistics for sending them back.

How about we just keep them out to begin with?
Remember post 9/11..?
The border really was "closed".
Drug prices spiked.
It can be done, there just isn't enough political will, yet.

CT

chemvictim

rjquillin wrote:How about we just keep them out to begin with?
Remember post 9/11..?
The border really was "closed".
Drug prices spiked.
It can be done, there just isn't enough political will, yet.

I ASSume that if it was simple, we'd have done it already. How would you do it? Fence?

MarkDaSpark

chemvictim wrote:I ASSume that if it was simple, we'd have done it already. How would you do it? Fence?

Actually a fence was approved and partially built. Except Obama stopped building the rest. Senate rejects border fence approved 7 years ago

Why? Because the poor illegal immigrants might have their amnesty delayed. The proposed border fence amendment, "which would have prevented the administration from granting any illegal immigrants legal status under the bill until at least 350 miles of double-tier fencing has been erected, and would withhold full citizenship rights until 700 total miles have been built."

Aww. How else are the Dems going to get votes, now that the Dead can't vote????

MarkDaSpark

The most despicable thing? The fact that Obama (and the Dem leadership) have proposed a HUGE budget for illegal immigrants, yet cut the budget for our Vets and Armed Forces personnel.

Hey, how about throwing all that money you want for illegal aliens towards the VA system and making sure our troops have benefits?

As someone proposed once, Congress should lose it's benefits before our Vets & troops do!

edlada

MarkDaSpark wrote:The most despicable thing? The fact that Obama (and the Dem leadership) have proposed a HUGE budget for illegal immigrants, yet cut the budget for our Vets and Armed Forces personnel.

Hey, how about throwing all that money you want for illegal aliens towards the VA system and making sure our troops have benefits?

As someone proposed once, Congress should lose it's benefits before our Vets & troops do!

Would you care to support this with some facts and numbers? Speaking as a disabled veteran, I have only seen the VA budget go up in recent years, not down. Active duty benefits are quite generous as well.

coynedj

A quick Google search found that the VA budget has increased by 57% between 2009 and 2014. The administration has requested a further 6.6% increase for 2015. A Senate bill to add $21 billion to the VA budget for education, health, and other services was filibustered in February, because (according to Mitch McConnell) the spending level would “overwhelm the Veterans Administration healthcare system” and because the Democrats would not allow a vote on an amendment to add penalties against Iran for its nuclear program. The overall military budget is going down (by about 1% between 2014 and 2015), which is largely because the forces in Iraq and Afghanistan are being drawn down and some weapons programs are being reduced, though the administration has indeed proposed reductions in commissary expenses and increases in health care co-pays, and pay increases and housing allowance growth is being slowed.

Details would certainly be helpful on what the “HUGE budget for illegal immigrants” might be– is it a budget request for processing illegal immigrants? Deportation hearings and the like cost money, after all. More information is needed - a Google search found little of any substance, but maybe I just didn’t look hard enough.

Re Hamas, I saw a very interesting comparison between Gaza/West Bank and Iraqi Kurdistan the other day. The Iraqi Kurds certainly have had problems with their neighbors, in particular the governments in Baghdad. Their approach has been to build a strong and relatively autonomous local government and economy, which the unrest in the area has given them some freedom to do. They explicitly rejected terrorism as a weapon in their fight for freedom. In the same time period, Hamas has launched missiles. With a Mediterranean seashore and willing trading partners around the area, they could have built the type of government and economy that the Kurds built, but they preferred to see their population die in an attempt to kill off the entire population of a neighbor that (1) is militarily much stronger than them, and (2) has no interest in being killed off. They deserve no sympathy, for many many reasons.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
coynedj wrote:
Re Hamas, I saw a very interesting comparison between Gaza/West Bank and Iraqi Kurdistan the other day.

If you're comparing, I think you've got the COMPLETELY wrong party. I see many parallels between the Israelis and the Kurds, but none the other way around.

MarkDaSpark

Perhaps one needs to be a Google Jedi Master then ...

VA faulted for delays in G.I. Bill student benefits -- July 11, 2014

VA under fire for backlog in benefits payments to veterans -- July 14, 2014

And it's not new, it's ongoing ...

Fix veterans’ benefits delays, VA told -- Jan 29, 2013

Education benefits for veterans delayed, adding to problems at VA -- May 29, 2013

VA Disability Claim Delays Persist for Disabled Veterans -- Apr 18, 2013

“The entire system is a mess,” said Paul Rieckhoff, founder and chief executive of Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America, a support and advocacy group. “They’ve been saying now for 10 years that it’ll get better, and it still doesn’t get better, and we’ve seen tremendous frustration from our members in the last few months. It’s reached a breaking point.”

Saddest?

Veterangate: VA admits healthcare delays caused 23 deaths -- May 23, 2014

VA Scandal—a Battlefield of Deceit, Delays and Death for Veterans -- Jun 9, 2014

Recent headlines tell the story eloquently:
“VA Internal Audit: Wait-list Fraud Found at 64% of VA Facilities”
“VA Denies Coverage for US Air Force Veteran with Malignant Brain Tumor”
“VA IG report confirms: 1,700 vets seeking care weren’t on official wait list at Phoenix VA, wait times for others averaged 115 days”
Do Not “...send out any more non-VA care GI requests for endoscopy until further notice,”
“Deaths at Phoenix VA Hospital May Be Tied to Delayed Care”

(from the last link)

And of course one of the latest:

Veteran finally gets VA appointment 2 years after his death

Yes, there may be more budget, but is it going to the right places? Obviously not, since the same problems keep occurring year after year after year.

And for current troops?

Hagel Promises More Military Pay, Benefits Cuts -- Dec 19, 2013

This is the Sec of Def that Obama pushed and the Dems approved. The Pubs fought to keep him out. He's also not very pro-Israeli.

Budget cuts put military and veteran benefits in jeopardy -- Jul 14, 2014

US military eyes cuts to pay and benefits -- Nov 18, 2013

MarkDaSpark

edlada wrote:Would you care to support this with some facts and numbers? Speaking as a disabled veteran, I have only seen the VA budget go up in recent years, not down. Active duty benefits are quite generous as well.

Answered. And prepare to see Active duty benefits go down.

Obama Seeks $2B To Curb Undocumented Child Crossings, which is a misnomer because it's actually to cover at least one month "of services, including food, shelter, clothing and basic health care."

Evidently, Obama thought $2 billion wasn't going to be enough (especially considering the next link) and upped it to $3.7 billion.

Luxury Hotel to Be Converted Into Immigrant Housing

Word got out and it's been canceled

Baptist Child and Family Services (BCFS) was going to buy it for $3.8 million to house 600 children. But the contract would have been worth up to $50 million, with some workers making $45 per hour.

Part of the backlash about it, was probably the following:

"The Palm Aire Hotel is not exactly Club Med -- but the 7-acre site features three swimming pools, lighted tennis courts, concierge service and a Jacuzzi. The property also has around 10,000 square feet of retail and meeting space."

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:If you're comparing, I think you've got the COMPLETELY wrong party. I see many parallels between the Israelis and the Kurds, but none the other way around.

+1

chemvictim

MarkDaSpark wrote:Answered. And prepare to see Active duty benefits go down.

Obama Seeks $2B To Curb Undocumented Child Crossings, which is a misnomer because it's actually to cover at least one month "of services, including food, shelter, clothing and basic health care."

Evidently, Obama thought $2 billion wasn't going to be enough (especially considering the next link) and upped it to $3.7 billion.

Luxury Hotel to Be Converted Into Immigrant Housing

Word got out and it's been canceled

Baptist Child and Family Services (BCFS) was going to buy it for $3.8 million to house 600 children. But the contract would have been worth up to $50 million, with some workers making $45 per hour.

Part of the backlash about it, was probably the following:

"The Palm Aire Hotel is not exactly Club Med -- but the 7-acre site features three swimming pools, lighted tennis courts, concierge service and a Jacuzzi. The property also has around 10,000 square feet of retail and meeting space."

What a mess! My quick google didn't find anything to confirm that benefits were truly going down, although I saw some vague rumblings on facebook. I hope not, anyway. Hopefully if they are "talking" about it, they will not actually do it.

As for the immigrants, I ASSume it will take some amount of money just to deal with it, practically. We can't just dump them off in the Mexican desert, as they are not all from Mexico to begin with. that being said, I wouldn't want them in my neighborhood. Because I'm a Antechamber of Doom.

edlada

MarkDaSpark wrote:(Many links snipped)

Yes, there may be more budget, but is it going to the right places? Obviously not, since the same problems keep occurring year after year after year.

And for current troops?

Hagel Promises More Military Pay, Benefits Cuts -- Dec 19, 2013

This is the Sec of Def that Obama pushed and the Dems approved. The Pubs fought to keep him out. He's also not very pro-Israeli.

Budget cuts put military and veteran benefits in jeopardy -- Jul 14, 2014

US military eyes cuts to pay and benefits -- Nov 18, 2013

Your original statement was as follows: "The most despicable thing? The fact that Obama (and the Dem leadership) have proposed a HUGE budget for illegal immigrants, yet cut the budget for our Vets and Armed Forces personnel."[/quote]

I see nothing in any of your links that indicate the VA budget is to be cut. If you want to discuss the hideous inefficiency of the VA system, of which I have been a victim, that is another issue entirely. The VA troubles are not the result of a lack of money.

The only concrete evidence of a cut in military pay and benefits was a proposal to decrease some cost of living increases for some retirees. Hardly drastic across the board cuts.

As a disabled veteran with 8 years of active duty military service, and a total of almost 20 years in government service I feel more than qualified to discuss the issue of military pay and benefits. The military is treated quite generously, perhaps even to much. Period. I have been there and done that and the pay and benefits have only gotten better since I left active duty in the '90s. Please don't tell me about thanking veterans, about the sacrifices we made, and all the usual b.s. The military is not a social welfare organization or an employer of last result or a ticket to a free college education, although many view it that way and join for those purposes. Many people join the military out of a sense of patriotism, a desire to give something back or other altruistic reasons. I was one of those. I didn't ask for much, I didn't expect much, I did it for my own reasons.

I find it rather nauseating to see all these civilians saying thank you to vets and sending cookies when these same people had no trouble getting caught up in the 9/11 propaganda and happily sending the military off to an unnecessary, destructive conflict. They sat in their comfortable living rooms, watching the war on TV, waving their little flags and feeling like they were doing something. If you truly want to thank veterans and show appreciation be very careful about abusing them and sending them off to meaningless wars. Or get off the couch, away from the computer, stop clicking like on Facebook and join the military or give some other meaningful contribution to your country.

coynedj

mother wrote:If you're comparing, I think you've got the COMPLETELY wrong party. I see many parallels between the Israelis and the Kurds, but none the other way around.

That is exactly the point. The comparison was to contrast, not to point out similarities, to point out how the Palestinians blew a tremendous opportunity.

MarkDaSpark

edlada wrote:I see nothing in any of your links that indicate the VA budget is to be cut. If you want to discuss the hideous inefficiency of the VA system, of which I have been a victim, that is another issue entirely. The VA troubles are not the result of a lack of money.

... more ramblings

Actually, I NEVER said that the VA Budget was cut. I actually said "yet cut the budget for our Vets and Armed Forces personnel."

Properly, I should have inserted "yet proposed budget cuts for" instead of "yet cut the budget for").

I said that the $2 BILLION budget proposed for the illegal alien influx (which supposedly is due to Obama) would be better used towards the VA system and troop benefits (i.e., instead of cutting).

I guess when you live in Europe, $2 billion dollars isn't huge.

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:That is exactly the point. The comparison was to contrast, not to point out similarities, to point out how the Palestinians blew a tremendous opportunity.

They've always had tremendous opportunities, they just hold onto their misguided anger. The Arab nations kept them in the camps, and kept their anger festering, instead of helping them in the first place.

rjquillin

coynedj wrote:That is exactly the point. The comparison was to contrast, not to point out similarities, to point out how the Palestinians blew a tremendous opportunity.

Good piece by Krauthammer recently on this very topic HERE

CT

coynedj

MarkDaSpark wrote:[url=http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=4832293&pageindex=103&replycount=4111#post5891561]I said that the $2 BILLION budget proposed for the illegal alien influx (which supposedly is due to Obama) would be better used towards the VA system and troop benefits (i.e., instead of cutting).

I'm curious - how did Obama personally create this immigration situation?

I've heard this claim before, but have never seen any explanation of how he supposedly created the situation.

bhodilee

coynedj wrote:I'm curious - how did Obama personally create this immigration situation?

I've heard this claim before, but have never seen any explanation of how he supposedly created the situation.

BECAUSE HE WILL LET THEM ALL STAY AND BE CITIZENS SO THEY WILL VOTE FOR HIM WHEN HE RUNS FOR DICTATOR BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT HE'S DOING, HOW DO YOU NOT SEE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

or, something to that affect.

MarkDaSpark

coynedj wrote:I'm curious - how did Obama personally create this immigration situation?

Really?

Poll: Obama is Encouraging Illegal Immigrants to Cross the Border

But again ... his policies and statements.

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals This system allows children under 16 to request a two-year waiting period (subject to renewal) before they are shipped home.

Obama holds off on deportation changes, seeks $3.7B to address border crisis

Instead of sending them back right away, he wants to house them in luxurious former hotels (see link in previous post).

Any fisherman knows "catch and releae" is right away, not 2 years later.

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Really?

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals This system allows children under 16 to request a two-year waiting period (subject to renewal) before they are shipped home.

Instead of sending them back right away, he wants to house them in luxurious former hotels (see link in previous post).

Sooooo......that town hall article criticizes the conditions they're kept in, yet putting them up in a motel is bad also. What do you do with them? And don't say send them back, first you gotta figure out where to send them to and then you gotta figure out how they're going to be taken care of once they get back. Unless you advocate sending children back with absolutely no plan in place for their care?

kylemittskus

MarkDaSpark wrote:Really?

The question this post responded to was about how Obama is personally responsible. Your "Really?" intro suggests the answer to be obvious. However, your evidence is a poll that asked people whom we know nothing who were asked a question that we don't know.

And then you, yourself, explain that the system allows them to seek a 2-year stay.

So, is the answer that Obama isn't personally responsible? I'm also curious what solution any of the pubs have proposed. Not that they haven't, but I haven't heard a legitimate one yet.