allgoodpeople

quality posts: 1 Private Messages allgoodpeople
 Woody1 wrote:

Congrats! I'm coming up on 20 and we have a TV for every Year

is your house really big, or are you just swimming in TV's?

holmesdog

quality posts: 0 Private Messages holmesdog

Organic Lawn Care For the Cheap and Lazy

OK, even I'm tired of scrolling through this.

Binaural

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Binaural
 holmesdog wrote:
Organic Lawn Care For the Cheap and Lazy
Now for the verbose details: <snip>

Well, you certainly weren't kidding about the "verbose" part.

Quick, someone check my spelling and grammar for me.

holmesdog

Woody1

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Woody1
 allgoodpeople wrote:

is your house really big, or are you just swimming in TV's?

Swimming in TV's, need to carry around a backpack for the remotes. No matter vwhat they tell you, there is no such thing as a UNIVERSAL REMOTE that cover every function for every brand. Don't even tell me about learning remotes, push the left arrow for power, right arrow for eject, up arrow for PIP, Menu button for FFwd. Yeah learning remotes are great if they had labels on the damn buttons for the function you had to program under it. (LCD touch pad ones are just as bad)

900+ woots! - Talk to the Square or don't

Woody1

Ok, fair warning, I'm going to post a few hundred items in here in the next day or so. Believe it or not, I've actually learned a new behavior. Sleep. I read about in a book when I was up all night every night for the last 200 nights, and between woots and credit card statements. It involve a long period of blinking. At first it was a painful experience. Even tried the sleep aids like drinking heavily before bedtime (3;00am) and NyQuil (3 shots) but have learned the organic method of just not setting the alarm clock for 1:00 am and staying up to watch a Reds or Bengals game. Both doctor prescribed sleep aids.

I will set a marker on the very first post of this forum so you will be able to jump to the beginning, middle and end of the chapters of the stories, comics, and just plain old news.

Remember this forum is not the IM chat line but stuff of interest to someone (namely me, but hopfully you as well?)

Props to holmesdog for all the contributions, and acemom and pooflady keeping me straight (I mean on track, I wasn't swaying to the other team, just because I'm a techno junkie geek with no life, LOL!)

Reminder, I am going to SONORA, MX in Sept. (not that you need to put this on your calendars) and would appreciate it if for those two weeks without internet, fresh water, buffalo wings and ring, tasty light beer, and cable tv. Someone actually posts stories for me to catch up on.

Lastly (sp?) ( I need a pooflady to check my typing as I either second guess myself or just suck) I am going to post two times between now and Sept. 12th a plea on every board for used presciption glasses for the kids around the world. 28,216 pairs were distributed to children and adults in Cambodia in Aug. in EIGHT DAYS!

Friends, I know this is asking a lot, and their are hundreds of charities (no millions) but all I ask is that every wooter sent in ONE pair of used glasses (USED, NO LONGER YOUR PRESCRIPTION, SOMEONE THAT GOT CONTACTS, ETC.) (sorry for the caps, just trying to point out, they are NO USE TO YOU and will not get you a free cheeseburger at McDonalds if you hord them in your nightstands)

Where was I?

Oh yeah; if every wooter sent just one pair in, just one, we would be able to help almost a QUARTER OF A MILLION KIDS in one quick shot.

Think about what you have, can't use the glasses yourself any longer, and it cost 50 cents to send one pair in the mail. No boxes needed, they will make it unbroken. US Mail is not that horrid on your stuff.

Just to spare you the agony, send them to

Luxottica Retail
Attn; Woody1
4000 Luxottica Place
Mason, OH 45040

Thanks again, and I apologize in advance for the thread posting that will happen Wink

Binaural

Woody1 wrote:
Ok, fair warning, <snip> Wink

Please don't. I understand that you want people to send glasses, but that's going to be really, really annoying for those of us that use the active topics feature.

mnementh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnementh
 Binaural wrote:
Please don't. I understand that you want people to send glasses, but that's going to be really, really annoying for those of us that use the active topics feature.

Not to mention that there are countless worthwhile charities and if we all started advertising our favorite ones, the forums would get out of hand. These message threads are about specific subjects, not billboards for spam, charitable or otherwise.
If you want, go create a charity-related thread.

bam wokka chicka wokka chicka wokka chicka wokka chicka
Master Ninja Theme Song

Binaural

mnementh wrote:

Not to mention that there are countless worthwhile charities and if we all started advertising our favorite ones, the forums would get out of hand. These message threads are about specific subjects, not billboards for spam, charitable or otherwise.

Too late. It's obvious why woot's allowing this. They wouldn't want to lose their biggest customer.

holmesdog

mnementh wrote:

I'm still too shy to start a new thread, newbie dread. Why doesn't someone start a charity thread, then we'd all know where to look when we're feeling benevolent?

Woody1

holmesdog wrote:

I'm still too shy to start a new thread, newbie dread. Why doesn't someone start a charity thread, then we'd all know where to look when we're feeling benevolent?

You know what, let's do that!

I don't think this was a WWIII strike and I think every charity should get a fair shot. This one, though was not asking for money and I do not profit in any way. I was mearly asking for peoples help as I am about to spend 14 days in 110 degree heat helping the needy, and thought people would care to look past a simple post. Now I am not ranting, just suprised that a gesture of kindness, maybe only to me?, would freak out some people on a site that people buy the one item or not, then use their resources to complain and gab all day. I'm not throwing stones as I am as guilty as the next, but I think we lost the compassion between the "I want one" and reality?

obob

quality posts: 6 Private Messages obob

posting here because I expect woody1 will read it here

no matter how well intentioned, spam is still spam.

And oh, by the way - it's spelled "sight"

what, Me, sig?

cruzer

quality posts: 0 Private Messages cruzer
 obob wrote:

I agree it is spam....but let it go man. forget and forgive. that goes for everyone

Woody1

obob wrote:

Are you on drugs or am I missing somethng? SITE is a place, SIGHT is vision. A place is a SITE.

Don't throw stones, they can always be thrown back

gimmaroon

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

cruzer wrote:

I agree it is spam....but let it go man. forget and forgive. that goes for everyone

...wise, young post whore.

Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.

BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

holmesdog

cruzer wrote:

I'm with you Cruzer, and I've never been exactly sure what spam is, maybe that's a good thing. And I'd like to invite everyone to look through this thread, there's really a lot of good stuff here, and anyone can contribute whatever's on their mind, it's one of my favorites.

Woody1

cruzer wrote:

Even I would agree it was spam to a degree. Not denying it. But it did not hurt anyone. NADA, zip, zero, and your right, let it go already.

We now have a Charity thread. So unless we have lost all humanity, let's just use it from now on, me included.

Woody1

holmesdog wrote:

I'm with you Cruzer, and I've never been exactly sure what spam is, maybe that's a good thing. And I'd like to invite everyone to look through this thread, there's really a lot of good stuff here, and anyone can contribute whatever's on their mind, it's one of my favorites.

SPAM is not an acronym as many would think but refers to "unsolicited email". In a forum it is hard to judge what is spam and what is not because obob didn't want to read it, Woody1 may have wanted the information(using myself in this). It only becomes spam when the masses pass judgement to declare it as so. Trouble is, spam is defined after the act and not before. Now common sense would dictate that one could take an educational guess that it will or will not be well recieved. In this case, the plea for used glasses was by the few, condemed to be spam. And I would agree with them as the act of 1 post in every thread was excessive, providing that those threads were somehow deminished by the act.

Now you would think that after an hour or so, people would get back on with their lives, but since this product is not keeping people entertained, it has come to this being the topic.

So we wil probably debate this until 12:00am Central, which is ok with me as I have nothing to do until then.Time

gimmaroon

quality posts: 7 Private Messages gimmaroon

Volunteer Moderator

Woody1 wrote:
<snip>Now you would think that after an hour or so, people would get back on with their lives, but since this product is not keeping people entertained, it has come to this being the topic.

...no such thing as bad publicity.

Want crap? Got crap? Go swap crap:
WootSwap.com, since 2005.

BC4L, but my wootjuice is eggplant.

mnementh

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mnementh
 Woody1 wrote:
SPAM is not an acronym as many would think but refers to "unsolicited email".

Spam is any message repeated a ridiculous number of times, regardless of content. The term is applied to unsolicited email because the same message is sent to thousands of recipients. It's called spam in reference to the Monty Python sketch in which the word "spam" is increasingly and absurdly repeated in a restaurant's menu choices.

bam wokka chicka wokka chicka wokka chicka wokka chicka
Master Ninja Theme Song

holmesdog

Woody1 wrote:

<snip>

So we wil probably debate this until 12:00am Central, which is ok with me as I have nothing to do until then.Time

It certainly has been exciting for a Tuesday afternoon. I'm often here alone catching up and posting hellos and goodbyes for the night. I was IMing with my Dad during the heat of the battle, switching over to the forum as he typed, and at one point the forum locked up during a refresh, I thought we'd killed woot!

I need help with a link on the charity forum if you have a chance.

obob

Woody1 wrote:

SPAM is not an acronym as many would think but refers to "unsolicited email". In a forum it is hard to judge what is spam and what is not because obob didn't want to read it, Woody1 may have wanted the information(using myself in this). It only becomes spam when the masses pass judgement to declare it as so. Trouble is, spam is defined after the act and not before. Now common sense would dictate that one could take an educational guess that it will or will not be well recieved. In this case, the plea for used glasses was by the few, condemed to be spam. And I would agree with them as the act of 1 post in every thread was excessive, providing that those threads were somehow deminished by the act.

Now you would think that after an hour or so, people would get back on with their lives, but since this product is not keeping people entertained, it has come to this being the topic.

totally, entirely, and utterly wrong.

It absolutely does have a specific definition in this context.
spam is posting the same OFF TOPIC material to multiple forum topics.

It's not "after the fact" at all. Fact is, you knew it was spam while you were doing it, that's why you put a lame apology at the top of each one.

ALSO - when it's in ALL CAPS it has a completely different meaning.
http://spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm
The folks at Hormel foods have been really good sports about the name of their product being applied to a vile behavior, and I strongly recommend complying with their very simple request - don't ever type SPAM in ALL CAPS unless you mean their product.

what, Me, sig?

Woody1

obob wrote:

totally, entirely, and utterly wrong.

It absolutely does have a specific definition in this context.
spam is posting the same OFF TOPIC material to multiple forum topics.

It's not "after the fact" at all. Fact is, you knew it was spam while you were doing it, that's why you put a lame apology at the top of each one.

ALSO - when it's in ALL CAPS it has a completely different meaning.
http://spam.com/ci/ci_in.htm
The folks at Hormel foods have been really good sports about the name of their product being applied to a vile behavior, and I strongly recommend complying with their very simple request - don't ever type SPAM in ALL CAPS unless you mean their product.

Well 12:00am is only 4 hours away so I guess we can continue this.

The "apology", was only as lame as your continued arguments. I will spell SPAM in caps in lowercase "spam", in bold SPAM in italics SPAM or any combination I see fit SpAm

May even repeat as needed:
SpAm
SpAm
SpAm
SpAm
SpAm
SpAm

So SPAM off!

holmesdog

Deep Relaxation.

Deep relaxation for stress reductions and stressful living. A quiet place to relax and close your eyes aids deep relaxation.
Choose a quiet place and time when you will be free of distractions.

Since the digestive process can interfere with achieving deep relaxation, wait at least two hours after eating.

Relaxing should be part of each day to reduce stresses. Deep relaxation for stress reductions and stressful living.

Find a comfortable and relaxed position that will allow you to relax your muscles without falling asleep.

Close your eyes.

Tune in to your muscles and relax your muscles one by one. Start with your feet and progress to your legs, torso, arms, shoulder, neck, mouth, cheeks, nose, temples, eyes, and forehead.

This is difficult for many of us at first but becomes easier with practice.

Tune in to your breathing.

Each time you exhale, silently say a word to yourself.

Focus on the word to help you push other thoughts from your mind.

Be passive. Don't try too hard, worry about how you are doing, or be upset when other thoughts enter your mind.When other thoughts enter your mind, simply focus on the word you are using when you exhale and let those interfering thoughts fade away.

Continue your breathing, focusing on your word and relaxing your muscles for twenty minutes. It is better to open your eyes to check the time than it is to use a startling alarm.

When you are finished, continue to sit quietly for a minute, first with your eyes closed, then with your eyes open.

holmesdog

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~ Anne Frank

Binaural

where's that "arguing on the Internet" picture when you need it.

holmesdog

ALL DOORS OPEN TO COURTESY.

There is no investment you can make which will pay you so well as the effort to scatter sunshine and good cheer where-ever you are.

The deepest principal in human nature is the craving to be
appreciated. When you treat an individual as if they were what they
ought to be and could be, they will become what they ought to be and could be.

Everyone thrives on being appreciated, loved and needed.
There is no stimulus like that which comes from the consciousness of knowing that others believe in you.

Applaud others when they run.
Console them when they fall.
And cheer them when they recover.

As water is to flowers,
So is praise to the heart of another.

Author Unknown

Woody1

holmesdog wrote:
ALL DOORS OPEN TO COURTESY.

There is no investment you can make which will pay you so well as the effort to scatter sunshine and good cheer where-ever you are.

The deepest principal in human nature is the craving to be
appreciated. When you treat an individual as if they were what they
ought to be and could be, they will become what they ought to be and could be.

Everyone thrives on being appreciated, loved and needed.
There is no stimulus like that which comes from the consciousness of knowing that others believe in you.

Applaud others when they run.
Console them when they fall.
And cheer them when they recover.

As water is to flowers,
So is praise to the heart of another.

Author Unknown

It takes a wise person to put us all back into the state we entered with. Thank you

holmesdog

Woody1 wrote:

Zack2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zack2
 pooflady wrote:

In January we bought a 32". Our kids and friends have been laughing at us. It replaced a 21" that we've had for....who knows. This is our fourth TV and we've been married 36 years.

Hey, congrats, I have been married 36 yrs also. The TV thing, I don't know for sure, but the kids bought us a 27" for Christmas, The biggest we have ever owned. The problem is that the house we currently live in is REAL small, and most things have to be built-in, we just cannot afford the space, and this was the biggest we can get for the hole, I told em that a plasma or LCD would work, but the y bought us that (not so good) one anyway. It turns out the picture quality is worse than our old one, but wathca gonna do, it was a gift from the kids (and we sold the old one for $25). Patience, Some day I will have someone drive by the house when moving and a flat panel will drop off the truck (onto the mattress silly), and they will just keep driving to Wyoming...Ya, that will happen...

Zack2

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Zack2
 Binaural wrote:

Ya know, (nothing against you Binaural, your message was just here), it seems that all this pissing and moaning about what is, or is not spam seems to point to SPAM being in the eye of the beholder. It also seems that it is Spam if YOU are not the one putting it out there. If you see Binaural's, or Peteromamans11's, or MANY other taglines, THEY could be considered SpaM but they are not being attacked (at this time anyway). There have been many other incidences of sPaM (darn ugly word it has become), here, and elsewhere, but, here it is my choice to read it or move along, we are here by our own free will, and are also free to go to another site where we believe sPAm does not exist. The garbage that comes in my E-mail on the other hand, was not invited to MY PRIVATE space. Here we are just supposed to post, have fun, and if things get serious we also give that a chance, but, if we see anything that crosses our precious sensebilities, we jump up and down and holler FOUL. These forums are supposed to be loosely organised (some anyway) around nothing. Remember the saying, no harm, no foul, if it is not hurting you, let it go.
Rant off.

obob

Zack2 wrote:

The garbage that comes in my E-mail on the other hand, was not invited to MY PRIVATE space.

I've devoted several years of essentially all my free time to doing something about that, too.

what, Me, sig?

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom

**sigh....here we go again**

Binaural

Zack2 wrote:

Ya know, (nothing against you Binaural, your message was just here), it seems that all this pissing and moaning about what is, or is not spam seems to point to SPAM being in the eye of the beholder. It also seems that it is Spam if YOU are not the one putting it out there. If you see Binaural's, or Peteromamans11's, or MANY other taglines, THEY could be considered SpaM but they are not being attacked (at this time anyway). There have been many other incidences of sPaM (darn ugly word it has become), here, and elsewhere, but, here it is my choice to read it or move along, we are here by our own free will, and are also free to go to another site where we believe sPAm does not exist. The garbage that comes in my E-mail on the other hand, was not invited to MY PRIVATE space. Here we are just supposed to post, have fun, and if things get serious we also give that a chance, but, if we see anything that crosses our precious sensebilities, we jump up and down and holler FOUL. These forums are supposed to be loosely organised (some anyway) around nothing. Remember the saying, no harm, no foul, if it is not hurting you, let it go.
Rant off.

In case you were wondering, the sites that are in my tagline are going away soon. I put them in there to make a point about woot censorship and spam taglines that really hasn't had the desired effect. I'm currently trying to come up with something witty to put in my sig line, but it's making my head hurt, so I have to take many rest periods.

Binaural

acemom wrote:
**sigh....here we go again**

What are you doing up so late?

acemom

quality posts: 0 Private Messages acemom

Same as you....
Can't sleep

Woody1

Ok, what's on the menu for today? Been learning how to do eye screenings. Almost a sad thing when you are up until 2:00am wooting, and then try and give eye exams to people. I think I blinded two people today with the auto-refractor.

Today did mark the 4 (FOUR) Millionth pair of eyeglasses to those in need. The pair went to a 5 year old girl that had not been able to see more than 4" away. Last report was that she is outside, in the rain no less, playing ball with her friends.

FYI, these 4 million pairs were domestic donations and not part of the international effort. The little girl is from up-state NY. (2) 3-week missions are going on at all times within the US. All volunteers, and all donated glasses. Thought I should mention that this effort is not just international, and the majority are used here at home. Also the effort is much larger than just the comany I am going with to Mexico.

Again, thanks for your support, and the blitz posting has endedCool

Snookered

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Snookered

About time you showed up! Where the hell have you been? You're grounded, boy!

Woody1

Snookered wrote:
About time you showed up! Where the hell have you been? You're grounded, boy!

You old nut dragger! I feel like I was hit with wet noodles (oh, that was my dream last night, and I think it was the NFL COORS Twins. LOL!)

Ok, wishful thinking. Kind of like hoping the Bengals have a winning season so merchants actually sell their stuff again. I wear my Beer helmet (not a pretty picture) to the indoor games on the widescreen. Hey, I'm cheap LOL!

Ok, we all know I spend like I have some kind of inheritance flowing in from the original inventor of the sticky stuff from 3M (Post-it's people). Actually to clarify that point, I work two jobs, my wife works full time, and we worked our way out of a 7 mile cavern of debt many years ago. I do have limits, but when you work yourself out of that hole, don't have any car payments and can scale your spending on the fly (yes I do, and I review my financials EVERY DAY) it is easier to manage. As a rule, we now have a 5 year spreadsheet for every expected and even unexpected debt which dynamically updates based upon daily spend and income, incl. interest from bank accounts. I will post a blank copy if anyone wishes? (No it won't have my info on it, sorry). We take nice vacations every year now (didn't take any for 10 years) but we don't eat out as a rule (McD's doesn't count) and really search for deals.

Ok, back in action and gearing up for another woot-off.

Binaural

Woody1 wrote:

Ok, back in action and gearing up for another woot-off.

Oh, no! not another woot-off!

Actually. That's what I want for Christmas, woot! A woot-off every other weekend from Thanksgiving to Christmas Eve. Sweet!