WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Tercero Wines Santa Barbara Red Cuvees (3)

Speed to First Woot:
27m 7.111s
First Sucker:
stanleygirl
Last Wooter to Woot:
rjquillin
Last Purchase:
3 months ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 37% of Wine Woots
Top 28% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 49% of Wine Woots
Top 26% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

• 5% first woot
  • 0% second woot
  • 11% < 10 woots
  • 18% < 25 woots
  • 66% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

• 2% joined today
  • 0% one week old
  • 0% one month old
  • 5% one year old
  • 93% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

• 70% bought 1
  • 21% bought 2
  • 9% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

5%
0%
2%
0%
2%
0%
0%
7%
5%
5%
5%
14%
5%
2%
7%
5%
2%
5%
4%
5%
5%
5%
2%
5%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting

Quality Posts

Cesare

quality posts: 1676 Private Messages Cesare

Tercero Wines Santa Barbara Red Cuvees 3-Pack
$67.99 $115.00 41% off List Price
2009 Tercero Cuvee Loco, Larner Vineyard, Santa Ynez Valley
2 2009 Tercero Cuvee Christie Santa Barbara County
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

tercerowines

quality posts: 36 Private Messages tercerowines

Good evening, folks! Larry Schaffer here, ready and raring to answer any questions you may have about my wines!

I'm soooo excited to be taking part in another wine.woot offering - tis been awhile!

I'll be on for awhile but will have to hit the hay as I bottled most of my 2013 whites earlier today and need to prep for bringing in Roussanne and Gewurztraminer early next week . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

JavaDrinker, CoffeMate, & I met with Larry at a local LB WineBar last week, and we all enjoyed his wines, especially the Cuvee Christie.

We all bought last week, just so we could avoid the shipping this week!

Can't recommend Tercero highly enough. Very excellent wines! Even with Larry.

Edit: And if you are in Los Olivos (Santa Barbara AVA) area, let him know you are coming to his tasting room! He makes the best bread!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

tercerowines

MarkDaSpark wrote:JavaDrinker, CoffeMate, & I met with Larry at a local LB WineBar last week, and we all enjoyed his wines, especially the Cuvee Christie.

We all bought last week, just so we could avoid the shipping this week!

Can't recommend Tercero highly enough. Very excellent wines! Even with Larry.

Thanks my friend! Wonderful seeing all of you and hope to get back down to your hood in the near future!!!!

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

redhead11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redhead11

So excited to see Tercero Wines on Woot. Larry's wines are amazing. Cuvee Christie is by far one of my favorites. We are hoping to have Tercero Wines at our wedding!

tercerowines

redhead11 wrote:So excited to see Tercero Wines on Woot. Larry's wines are amazing. Cuvee Christie is by far one of my favorites. We are hoping to have Tercero Wines at our wedding!

That would be awesome!!! I had a good friend pour the 09 Cuvee Christie at their wedding - it was a hit!!!

Get a hold of me if you'd like to discuss further - and share the heck out of this deal so you can let all of your friends know :-)

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
redhead11 wrote:So excited to see Tercero Wines on Woot. Larry's wines are amazing. Cuvee Christie is by far one of my favorites. We are hoping to have Tercero Wines at our wedding!

And here I was going to email you to let you know this was up!

Do we need to combine shipping?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

tercerowines

klezman wrote:And here I was going to email you to let you know this was up!

Do we need to combine shipping?

Yee haw!!!!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

klezman

tercerowines wrote:That would be awesome!!! I had a good friend pour the 09 Cuvee Christie at their wedding - it was a hit!!!

Get a hold of me if you'd like to discuss further - and share the heck out of this deal so you can let all of your friends know :-)

Cheers!

Speaking of which...sent you an email last week wondering about places one can have weddings up by you. molarchae and I were thinking it'd be awesome if we could do that.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

MarkDaSpark wrote:Edit: And if you are in Los Olivos (Santa Barbara AVA) area, let him know you are coming to his tasting room! He makes the best bread!

Seriously...he had a great cracked pepper bread going on when time2testit, redhead11, molarchae and I were up there around Memorial Day.

tercerowines

klezman wrote:Speaking of which...sent you an email last week wondering about places one can have weddings up by you. molarchae and I were thinking it'd be awesome if we could do that.

Saw that and sorry I haven't responded - will try to do so manana!!!

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

Oh I do love to bake my breads as well!!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

klezman

tercerowines wrote:Saw that and sorry I haven't responded - will try to do so manana!!!

Cheers!

No worries...it's harvest time! Just glad it didn't go right into the spam folder

klezman

Hrm...I think the specs are off by $10. Retail is $30 for the Cuvee Christie and $35 on the Loco. That makes $95 not $105. Brings the discount to 35% - still very solid, and still will break me once I sort things out with time2testit/redhead11 for who buys and such.

tercerowines

klezman wrote:Hrm...I think the specs are off by $10. Retail is $30 for the Cuvee Christie and $35 on the Loco. That makes $95 not $105. Brings the discount to 35% - still very solid, and still will break me once I sort things out with time2testit/redhead11 for who buys and such.

The Cuvee Christie is actually priced ay $35 . . . but is normally priced at $30 for my wonderful wine club members :-)

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20

Very tempted!
I have not had any of the tercero reds but loved all the whites. What to do?

CT

klezman

tercerowines wrote:The Cuvee Christie is actually priced ay $35 . . . but is normally priced at $30 for my wonderful wine club members :-)

Cheers!

Ah...nifty! So your "buy wines" page is outdated. You may want to check on that.

Cortot, you want these. They're yum. The Cuvee Christie was one of the most enjoyed wines at the pre-tour gathering as best as I could tell as well.

cortot20

klezman wrote:Ah...nifty! So your "buy wines" page is outdated. You may want to check on that.

Cortot, you want these. They're yum. The Cuvee Christie was one of the most enjoyed wines at the pre-tour gathering as best as I could tell as well.

I have a bottle of the 09' Christie along with a Larner Grenache and Syrah, none of which I have tried yet. I know..........I need to hurry up and start drinking them.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:The Cuvee Christie was one of the most enjoyed wines at the pre-tour gathering as best as I could tell as well.

Although some of the wines were already gone when we arrived at the meet-n-greet, thankfully there was some Cuvee Christie available. Once I tried it, I stuck with it for the rest of the gathering. Dark red and black fruits with some spice and mocha. Soft, lush mouthfeel but firm tannins. Excellent!

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

Bought a case of Larry's wines through a Wineberserker deal. These two wines were included.

They are both superb, easy drinking wines. Very fruit forward but not over-the-top.

They are excellent with a variety of foods.

If I can convince SWMBO I'm in for 3...

Is it broke or just fractured?

uhoerhold

quality posts: 11 Private Messages uhoerhold

I haven't had these particular wines, but I've had several cases of Tercero over the years, and they've always been very good. The only reason I'm not all in on this, and the reason I stopped buying Tercero, is that they don't ship to my state, and it became a hassle to get it here.

tercerowines

Good morning all - and thanks for all of the kind comments!!!!

Udo - I do hope one day to be able to ship to you again - I've started the process a couple of times but just not followed through . . . but will attempt to do so again.

Let me know if anyone has any questions about these wines. Both of them still have plenty of life left - you would not be disappointed if you purchased them and laid them down for awhile . . . but then again, why would you do that when they are tasting great now?!?!?!?

Ask away with any questions you may have . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

I will say that it's been awhile since I've had any products on here, and I'm kinda amazed that I'm not seeing any questions about any of these wines - something I really enjoyed the last time I took part.

Much of the fun for me in winemaking is sharing what I do with others - and that included information not only about my wines, but about those that are trying my wines . . .

Feel free to ask away if you'd like. I'll be on and off today as I go to the winery and check on other folks' ferments, finish ordering all of my supplies for this harvest, get my next wine club offering ready to roll, ship out orders from my last offering, and get my kids ready to start the new school year!!!! :-)

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

dublwrap

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dublwrap

Larry - I'm quite excited that I get to visit Los Olivos area for the first time next week. I love discovering wineries that are off the beaten path. I've read your story and enjoy the descriptions of your wine...but what makes you different? In your region, is it the norm to barrel for 42 months?

Robert Craig / Wellington Vineyards/Gundlach Bundschu /K Vintners/ Saddleback / Scott Harvey/ Twisted Oak / Frazier / Peltier Station / Corison / Lucas & Lewellen / Woot Cellars / Kent Rasmussen / Donati Family Vineyard Trio /

tercerowines

dublwrap wrote:Larry - I'm quite excited that I get to visit Los Olivos area for the first time next week. I love discovering wineries that are off the beaten path. I've read your story and enjoy the descriptions of your wine...but what makes you different? In your region, is it the norm to barrel for 42 months?

Thanks for your message, and hopefully our area will welcome you with open arms!!!!

What makes me different, eh?!?!? Well, my fingers would get tired if I told you EVERYTHING!!! :-)

42 months is NOT the norm for anyone I know, and it is not my norm either. 2009 was a spectacular vintage, providing me with grapes that were full of fruit and structure. I also ended up getting a lot more red grapes that year than any previously, so I did a lot of experimentation. I bottled some of my 09s after 30 months and the rest after 42.

I usually age my reds anywhere from 24-34 months, depending upon a number of factors, including when bottling lines are available. My 2010s saw 34 months in older FR oak, and my 2011s saw about 30 months.

There are others in my area who concentrate on rhones, but I tend to do more single varietal bottlings than others. I bottle about a dozen different wines each year - 100% versions of Syrah, Grenache, Mourvedre and Petite Sirah on the red side, and Grenache Blanc, Viognier, Roussanne, and Gewurztraminer on the white.

Please email me at tercerowines@gmail.com before finalizing your schedule and let's see if we can get together - and I am more than happy to suggest others to visit as well.

Cheers!!!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

klezman

OK Larry...here's one. I know you bottle everything under screwcap. While I'm not interested in the cork vs. screwcap debate, I am curious how you go about choosing a particular closure. Do you want minimal oxygen transfer into the wine? Are you going for one of the engineered versions that essentially lets you specify? Do you even agree that it's something to be managed?

cortot20

Larry, what was the inspiration for each of the two blends?

CT

PetiteSirah

quality posts: 80 Private Messages PetiteSirah

One of the few things more enjoyable than Larry's wines is the man himself. He truly is one of the nicest, most down-to-earth people in this business, a true mensch.

I don't need more wine, but I do need to support the people who exemplify everything that's great about wine, and Larry is one of them. That I'm getting a sick deal on some great blends is just a bonus.

tercerowines wrote:Good evening, folks! Larry Schaffer here, ready and raring to answer any questions you may have about my wines!

I'm soooo excited to be taking part in another wine.woot offering - tis been awhile!

I'll be on for awhile but will have to hit the hay as I bottled most of my 2013 whites earlier today and need to prep for bringing in Roussanne and Gewurztraminer early next week . . .

Cheers!

Hail the victor, the king without flaw
Salute your new master ... Petite Sirah!

"Who has two thumbs and loves Petite Sirah?" ThisGuy!

tercerowines

klezman wrote:OK Larry...here's one. I know you bottle everything under screwcap. While I'm not interested in the cork vs. screwcap debate, I am curious how you go about choosing a particular closure. Do you want minimal oxygen transfer into the wine? Are you going for one of the engineered versions that essentially lets you specify? Do you even agree that it's something to be managed?

Great questions indeed!

What drew me to the screwcap back in 2006 when I bottled my first vintage was the fact that most consumers have no clue what a 'corked' wine is - and that is more true today than ever before.

In addition, so much 'bottle variation' is due to slight variations in the oxygen transmission rate of corks, leading to wines that age differently - sometimes slightly and sometimes radically.

The best thing about corks is also one of their worst characteristics - because they are all natural, no two corks are identical so no two wines will ever age identically. Not a bad thing if you're into the 'romanticism' of wine, but I'm into the product that goes into the bottle and want to ensure the best I can that what you drink is what I want you to . . .

I have not used any of the newer screwcap technologies that allow for minute differences in permeability as of yet. I've been happy with how my red wines have aged using the sarenex liners and how my whites have aged using the saratin ones.

Hope that answers that for you - and by the way, I am not anti-cork . . . I am just a consumer first and a winemaker second and feel it is important to be able to stand behind my products with as much certainty as I can.

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

cortot20 wrote:Larry, what was the inspiration for each of the two blends?

The inspiration for the Cuvee Loco was to truly try to pay homage to the Larner Vineyard, the source for all of the grapes for that wine. It is a spectacular site and the grapes coming out of there are higher in acid than others in the area, leading to a vibrancy that I dig! The 09 is the second release of this wine, and future bottlings will include Mourvedre as well, since I started getting some of the tiny amount grown there in 2010. The wine was named by my kids . . .

The Cuvee Christie has been part of my arsenal of wines since my first vintage in 2006. It was named for my now ex-wife Christie and therefore this is the last vintage of this specific wine :-) All is fine, though - we remain great friends and she is the mother of my three wonderful kids . . . The name is being changed to Verbiage and the 2010 and 2011 versions have already been bottled. The concept of this wine is to put together a CdP style blend that showcases each specific vintage. I strive for it to be grenache dominated.

This particular bottling, the 2009, has about 10% Petite Sirah in it. This is the only vintage with any PS in it, and the reason that it's in there is two-fold - 1) since the wine was in older FR oak for as long as it was, I wanted to make sure it had enough structure, and PS certainly helps with that and 2) I do another wine called The Climb which is a Syrah/PS blend, and when I put the 09 together, it just didn't do it for me. I make a dozen wines each year but will not put something in bottle that is not 'distinct' from the others wines I bottle, so I just decided not to make that wine that year.

Hope that answers the questions for you :-)

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

PetiteSirah wrote:One of the few things more enjoyable than Larry's wines is the man himself. He truly is one of the nicest, most down-to-earth people in this business, a true mensch.

I don't need more wine, but I do need to support the people who exemplify everything that's great about wine, and Larry is one of them. That I'm getting a sick deal on some great blends is just a bonus.

Thanks, my friend . . . .

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

Alrighty folks gotta run - but will check in to see if anyone has any questions about these wines . . .

And I did do the winemaker call in so there is some additional tidbits on the phone line so give it a listen . . .

Thanks for the support - I do appreciate it! Have been a fan of wine.woot for nearly a decade now and LOVE the love this board spreads!

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

neilfindswine

quality posts: 173 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Thanks, as always, for joining us today Larry. There's always some Tercero in my house...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

klezman

Larry, check your email! Go a question for you.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 212 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

PetiteSirah wrote:One of the few things more enjoyable than Larry's wines is the man himself. He truly is one of the nicest, most down-to-earth people in this business, a true mensch.

Bravo!

chipgreen

tercerowines wrote:Great questions indeed!

What drew me to the screwcap back in 2006 when I bottled my first vintage was the fact that most consumers have no clue what a 'corked' wine is - and that is more true today than ever before.

In addition, so much 'bottle variation' is due to slight variations in the oxygen transmission rate of corks, leading to wines that age differently - sometimes slightly and sometimes radically.

The best thing about corks is also one of their worst characteristics - because they are all natural, no two corks are identical so no two wines will ever age identically. Not a bad thing if you're into the 'romanticism' of wine, but I'm into the product that goes into the bottle and want to ensure the best I can that what you drink is what I want you to . . .

I have not used any of the newer screwcap technologies that allow for minute differences in permeability as of yet. I've been happy with how my red wines have aged using the sarenex liners and how my whites have aged using the saratin ones.

Hope that answers that for you - and by the way, I am not anti-cork . . . I am just a consumer first and a winemaker second and feel it is important to be able to stand behind my products with as much certainty as I can.

Cheers!

Ironically, a CT user who has gone through half a dozen or so bottles of the '09 Cuvee Christie claims that there is some bottle variation. (User markandsusanw - his remarks about the lesser of the bottles seem to echo a previous comment by user blakel)

Believable? Or faulty perception by someone who has likely drank the wine in different settings, with different foods, etc.?

chipgreen

tercerowines wrote:Alrighty folks gotta run - but will check in to see if anyone has any questions about these wines . . .

And I did do the winemaker call in so there is some additional tidbits on the phone line so give it a listen . . .

Thanks for the support - I do appreciate it! Have been a fan of wine.woot for nearly a decade now and LOVE the love this board spreads!

Cheers!

For some reason the "Vintner's Voicemail" did not get posted with today's deal.

tercerowines

chipgreen wrote:For some reason the "Vintner's Voicemail" did not get posted with today's deal.

Hmmmmm - not sure why not . . . Eh, I'm not THAT interesting anyways . . . ;-) But I AM around for the next hour to answer questions . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com

tercerowines

chipgreen wrote:Ironically, a CT user who has gone through half a dozen or so bottles of the '09 Cuvee Christie claims that there is some bottle variation. (User markandsusanw - his remarks about the lesser of the bottles seem to echo a previous comment by user blakel)

Believable? Or faulty perception by someone who has likely drank the wine in different settings, with different foods, etc.?

Variability is certainly an interesting topic. Is it possible that there is bottle variation? There's always a possibility . . . BUT these wines are all screw capped, taking one part out of the equation; and they are all filtered, taking another out.

The temperature a wine is poured and served at is important - if served at really different temps - say 10 degrees or more - the wine will certainly express itself differently.

Yep, food served alongside the wine will have a great impact on perceiving the wine differently as well. As does time of day, ambient temperature of the room, lighting, and sooo many other factors . . .

Just saying . . .

Cheers!

Larry Schaffer
tercero wines
www.tercerowines.com
larry@tercerowines.com