sukeiasa

quality posts: 7 Private Messages sukeiasa

at the offline tonight some of us started talking about having an offline where we feature our favorite sparklers and have food made in accordance to our wines...

some of the ideas thrown out includes makoto, one of the most refined japanese restaurants in DC and also seki izayaka, one of the most authentic places in DC....

i also want to throw out that both ripple and malmaison are restaurants that really accommodates BYOB options here in DC....

let's make this happen!

-----------
9/23 update:

we will pick the date by seeing which of the available dates fills up first.

venue is makoto in DC

http://www.yelp.com/biz/makoto-restaurant-washington

http://www.makotorestaurantdc.com/

dinner will be $100pp +tax/tip, the restaurant will prepare a special course to cater to the bubbles. they are waiving corkage.

11/2
ALERT! START TIME IS 6:30PM, INSTEAD OF 6PM.
Makoto:
4822 MacArthur Blvd NW, Washington, D.C. 20007
(202) 298-6866

--------
1. sukeiasa (1969 dom perignon, 05/06 wellington victory)
2. wkdpanda ( 1997/10 Iron Horse Joy mag)
3. wkdpanda +1
4. cjsiege
5. kk123
6. (kk123 +1)
7. tripgrad (Sparkling Shiraz Durif NV )
8. sukeiasa +1
9. sukeiasa +2
10. sukeiasa +3

Bonus wine tasting:
Domaine Wine Storage
4221 Connecticut Ave NW
Rear Access
Washington DC

November 1
noon-4pm

I'm planning to open up at least two vintages of black zepplin that i bought off woot... and there will be plenty of other bottles open... but feel free to bring something to share!

NOTE:

Please forward to fellow Woot that they will be asked to remove their shoes just like Japan. Makoto will provide slippers, but I recommend to bring a pair of socks for their comfort. Also, their cell phones needs to be mute. You don't have to turn it off, just vibrate.

If anybody planning of driving, they don't have parking. Street parking is limited, but there are meters across street by Safeway.

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, #31, #32, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

kkv123

quality posts: 12 Private Messages kkv123
sukeiasa wrote:at the offline tonight some of us started talking about having an offline where we feature our favorite sparklers and have food made in accordance to our wines...

some of the ideas thrown out includes makoto, one of the most refined japanese restaurants in DC and also seki izayaka, one of the most authentic places in DC....

i also want to throw out that both ripple and malmaison are restaurants that really accommodates BYOB options here in DC....

let's make this happen!

Hooray! Saw your post in the other thread and would like to connect the dots. Would you PM your email address so that I may pass it along and get the ball rolling? Many thanks!

tytiger58

quality posts: 82 Private Messages tytiger58

Don't know when you're planning this but with our new found love of Champagne my wife and I would be very interested in attending. And maybe hitting Berns in Tampa on the way home

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

sukeiasa

tytiger58 wrote:Don't know when you're planning this but with our new found love of Champagne my wife and I would be very interested in attending. And maybe hitting Berns in Tampa on the way home

thanks to KKV for making introductions!

i would like to try to organize a dinner a makoto, which is widely considered to be the finest japanese food in DC, and from what i've read has a menu that can offer a wide variety of interesting pairings to the bubbles. rules of the gathering is that each attendee must bring at least one bottle of bubbles, and additional bottles of other wines are purely optional. also must declare at least the bubbles a week in advance of the gathering.

ok let's try to work on a possible date for the event first.

october 11, 18, or 25?

wine woot gatherings: manchego dinner, '11 cyber pub bottling, '12 cyber pub bottling, DMV #25, #26, #28, #29, #29.5, #30, #31, #32, NY #19, NY #20; socal #22

cjsiege

quality posts: 15 Private Messages cjsiege

I think later in the month would be better. 10/11 may be too soon for some folks to tease schedules free.

sukeiasa

ok i have some more details~

seems like the restaurant will be available for bigger groups during the week so that means tues/wed/thurs.

price will be $95/head for a 8-9 course dinner. tax and tips extra. it is customary to tip the chef and the staff separately. so i think $130 all in sounds reasonable.

if we want to do this soon, than i propose october 14, 15, or 16

or later

28, 29 or 30.

my vote is for Oct. 16 or Oct. 30.

cjsiege

If the only options are mid-week, then I am out. I live too far away to make a trip to DC for dinner.

kkv123

I am such a devotee to the bubbles that I will be on board on ANY night we choose.

But I recognize that sparkling wine is not to everyone's preference. Given the underwhelming response thus far, should we try a smaller group (6-8) for our first effort (preferably on a Saturday night so that the person facilitating our planning can attend)?

This gives the restaurant a chance to get to know us. And if all goes well, there's no reason that we cannot plan additional gatherings, including one with a larger group containing more members of another wine group.

If this suggestion is adopted, I vote for Oct. 25 or Nov. 1st.

But it's just a suggestion.

sukeiasa

i'm good with either the 25th or the 1st.... any size group is fine with me as well. any given saturday i think i have about 4 others ready to do this dinner.

kkv123 wrote:I am such a devotee to the bubbles that I will be on board on ANY night we choose.

But I recognize that sparkling wine is not to everyone's preference. Given the underwhelming response thus far, should we try a smaller group (6-8) for our first effort (preferably on a Saturday night so that the person facilitating our planning can attend)?

This gives the restaurant a chance to get to know us. And if all goes well, there's no reason that we cannot plan additional gatherings, including one with a larger group containing more members of another wine group.

If this suggestion is adopted, I vote for Oct. 25 or Nov. 1st.

But it's just a suggestion.

cjsiege

At present, I'm available during the 10/25-26 or 11/1-2 weekends.

kkv123

Additional research reveals that
Friday and Saturday nights are unavailable. But I believe the restaurant would be able to accommodate a small group (6-8) on a Sunday evening.

With that in mind, to more easily accommodate out-of-town woofers, I propose Sunday, October 12 because the following day is a federal holiday.

Likewise, Monday, November 10 would also be a possibility, if the restaurant is not closed.

tripgrad

quality posts: 3 Private Messages tripgrad

I would like to be included.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

sukeiasa

i'm good with oct 12, oct, 26 or nov 2

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

What is the current head count? My wife and I would probably be up for this - just about any night, as it is.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sukeiasa

there seems to be a lot of interest, pending dates... i'm trying to get information on what night can we accomodate the most amount of people.

it's kinda like a catch 22 of the restaurant doesn't want to be reserved without commitment vs guests can't really make a committment until we know what days are available.

sukeiasa

sukeiasa wrote:there seems to be a lot of interest, pending dates... i'm trying to get information on what night can we accomodate the most amount of people.

it's kinda like a catch 22 of the restaurant doesn't want to be reserved without commitment vs guests can't really make a committment until we know what days are available.

ok got some availabilities:
both 10/26 and 11/2 are open for 8+2
so i guess i'll edit the first post and we should do the first date that we can get 8 people? in case we can't get 8 to commit to either dates, i will ask the dc berserkers if they would fill out the reservation.

please respond to this thread with which date you are available, number of people, and if you have any dietary restrictions

by the way, i would really like to make this happen so i will also post this on the winebeserker board. but first dibs for seats goes to wine.woot members.

wkdpanda

Myself and +1 would prefer 11/2, but can make either.

Thinking I have a sparkling ice wine from Pilliteri that would make a good finish. For dinner... Might have to break out my Iron Horse Joy. Or something else maybe.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sukeiasa

updated!

kkv123, tripgrad, and cjsiege? any preferences?

cjsiege

Either day is OK for me. If 11/2 is the only day wkdpanda & +1 can make it, that's fine. PM for you.

kkv123

sukeiasa wrote:updated!

kkv123, tripgrad, and cjsiege? any preferences?

I'm happy with either date, and may possibly have a plus one, if there is a seat available.

sukeiasa

cool!
i'm bringing either a 99 salon or 03/04 cristal

tripgrad

I prefer 10/26, can also attend 11/02.
:-)

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

sukeiasa

since we have a earlier preference for 11/2, and it seems like everyone can make both, can i add you on the 11/2 list and keep 10/26 open for now? i have a +1 that i'm not keeping on the official count in case someone from the board wants in, but otherwise i think we are a go for 11/2 dinner!

sukeiasa

alright. we are a go for 11/2. i have 3 friends from the wine berserker board who will also join us for the dinner to make a total of 10.

planning one of these is harder than i thought :P

tripgrad

What forms of payment will we be able to use?

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

sukeiasa

i believe they take all major credit cards? cash is always ok too, i guess....

i wonder if we should have a pm conversation on tips, since they seem to have a non traditional tippin system (separate tips for service and for chefs)

tripgrad

Rules for groups may be different.
We don't want any unpleasant surprises. I'd like to have it clearly understood before the event.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

sukeiasa

tripgrad, your question is being asked and i'll post once i get a response. thanks.

tripgrad

Countdown to next Sunday.
What time are we meeting?

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

sukeiasa

ok, i got the word back from our contact that we will be able to pay individually by check or credit card, but not by check. our contact stated that the restaurant typically receives separate tips for the chefs and the serve staff, so i would suggest if we tip by cash and pay either by cash or plastic.

dinner is set at 6pm.

also, i'd like to invite everyone to a self hosted tasting at Domaine wine storage in DC the day before. I will open up two vintages of the black zepplin that i bought on woot. since i have a tiny apartment here in dc, i can't fit all of my wine at home so i have a storage space at domaine wine storage and they have a nice tasting room attached to the warehouse facility. on saturdays a few of the owners will drop by and open up wines for tasting and it is a good chance to taste things that one would otherwise not buy. since some of the folks joining us for dinner are also storing wine at domaine, i thought it would be a good opportunity to meet everyone before the dinner.

domaine wine storage is located at
4221 connecticut ave nw
rear access
washington dc

(it's the corner of van ness and connecticut behind the walgreens)

sukeiasa

last note from the restaurant:

Please forward to fellow Woot that they will be asked to remove their shoes just like Japan. Makoto will provide slippers, but I recommend to bring a pair of socks for their comfort. Also, their cell phones needs to be mute. You don't have to turn it off, just vibrate.

If anybody planning of driving, they don't have parking. Street parking is limited, but there are meters across street by Safeway.

time to announce wines?

my bubble for the evening will be 1969 dom perignon. will also bring 2 vintages of wellington victory (05, 06) in case anyone wants reds.... will also bring a reserve bottle of bubble just in case the 69 is off... not sure which one just yet.

cjsiege

Given that we are meeting on a "school night", maybe we should consider bringing only 1 bottle for every 2 people. Our usual "bountiful excess" would not be a good thing in this case.

sukeiasa

good point. i'll just bring them just in case... we don't have to drink them all :P

tripgrad

I would like to bring a Sparkling Shiraz Durif NV from Morris Wines in Victoria AU. It's a rarity that I personally imported about 5 years ago.

R.I.P.
WINE.W00T NOV 4, 2012

sukeiasa

JUST RECEIVED AN EMAIL THAT THE RESTAURANT WILL OPEN AT 6:30 INSTEAD OF 6PM.

sorry about the confusion. we will meet at 6:30 at Makoto on Sunday.

wkdpanda

We will be bringing an Iron Horse Joy mag. Not crazy special - but very unique.

Bottled in 1997, disgorged in 2010.

Its supposed to be a Blanc de Blancs, but the age and time on yeast has left it a nice rose color.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda

sukeiasa

updated!

i think a wine is special as long as it has meaning to the owner and the tasters...

kkv123

sukeiasa wrote:updated!

i think a wine is special as long as it has meaning to the owner and the tasters...

I am pleased to be bringing a 2005 Schramsberg Reserve. It was a gift to me from other bubbleheads who will envy our evening. If you think we need it, I'll bring along another bottle for my +1, but have not yet decided what that will be.

hershelk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hershelk

Hey guys, have a great time. i would have joined you but I am away on business. Besides, I'm not a huge fan of either sparklers or Japanese food. Next time and everyone should come to the after Thanksgiving get together.

CT

sukeiasa

thanks to everyone who came out on a school night for this dinner. it's amazing that we pretty much drank everything we brought and then some!

food was great, service was top notch, and the experience was awesome for sure. and who could have guessed that the steak dish tonight was paired by the restaurant with a bottle of opus one!?

hopefully someone will put up a list of everything drunk tonight...