JOATMON

quality posts: 20 Private Messages JOATMON

rpm wrote:To end speculation, I have not been able to make it happen this year.

If there is still any interest, I will do everything I can to make it happen next year. [ed: 2018]

Sparky is right, I want very much to make an Amador trip that has not come together yet, in order to make the next tour truly new, unique and very much worth the wait, time and effort.

rpm wrote:My initial thinking is to go to Lodi and Amador first, perhaps a Wed-Fri, lodging in Lodi (great place to stay). Then pick up on Monday in Sonoma/Napa.

For folks with cars, this is easy. For folks who are flying in and don't want to rent a car for a week, perhaps we could have a supplemental charge for a bus that would take from point A to point B over the weekend.

The logistics of the move are not simple. I also don't want to lose a week day to the movement, which is why I like the idea of moving over the weekend. That gives Tourists an opportunity to visit other wineries or sights, especially those from out of state.

It's all very tentative at this point, but will be thought and sorted through WELL in advance.

rpm wrote:Preference will go to Veterans (+1s of Veterans ok) for sure. Consent of the Instructor will be needed for any newbies.

This Tour will be strictly limited to 30 (+ rpm and SWMBO, who vows she will make this Tour).

I apologize in advance for the 30 limit - the size of the group this year was really at the outer edge of manageability. Besides, we usually end up with about that number no matter how many people are on the list early on. It's always worked out that way. I'd love to include everyone who wants to go, but that would mean doing the whole thing twice. Can't take that much time off my law practice.

I understand some who haven't been able make a prior Tour are disappointed I'm giving a preference to Veterans. I have mixed feeling about that, but my intention is that this be a Tour at least at the level of the 2012 Veteran Tour Cabernet Seminar, or the in-depth Napa visits at Corison, Beringer, and Bell. Extensive experience in tasting, varietals, and familiarity with the material covered in at least one prior Tour will be assumed.

This is not firm enough to make reservations yet, but as you begin to look to firm up your 2017 plans, keep these weeks free if you think you're going to do the Tour. And, if you're on the list (especially if you're high on the list) and you already have conflicts that would preclude participation both weeks, please bow out and let someone else have a shot at making the Tour.

The size limit on the Tour is 35 - which to be honest is pushing it. It's hard for me to give everyone the personal attention they deserve with such a large group. If I had my druthers, I'd really prefer to keep it to 25, but we always seem to end up at 28-35 in the end no matter what.

We will post further when we know more.[/quote]

rpm wrote:Yes, that's the current thinking: the first 3-4 days will be in Lodi and Amador, then the group will move (each on his or her own) to Napanoma for 2-3 days. Total time on Tour will be between 5 and 7 days, depending on winery selection, availability, and interestingness to the gentiles organisateurs... If 4 days L/A, arrive for 11th evening gathering; if 3 arrive for 12th evening gathering.... no repeat of evening gather Sunday night in Napanoma (location TBD).... then 2-3 days Napanoma....

This is a 'heavyweight' tour plan and the idea was (is) that it's primarily for vets looking to combine something new with some favorites in the serious stuff category.

On the Bus
1 RPM (2008, 2010, 2012 Newby, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
2 RPM +1 (2008)
3 Tour Organizer
4 Tour Organizer +1
5 JOATMON (2008, 2010, 2012 Newby, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
6 tzarinaz (2012 Newby, 2012 Advanced)
7 JoyceChaplin1 (2014)
8 cmaldoon (2012 Newby)
9 cmaldoon +1 (2012 Newby)
10 North316
11 North316 +1
12 karenhynes
13 karenhynes +1
14 CAGrl (2012 Newby)
15 CAGrl +1
16 MarkDaSpark (2008, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
17 MarkDaSpark +1
18 MarkDaSpark +2
19 MarkDaSpark +3
21 Zephyress (2014)
22 Zephyress +1 (2014)
23 Cesare (2008, 2010, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
24 kttest (2008, 2010, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
25 HitAnyKey42 (2010, 2012 Advanced)
26 Cheron98 (2012 Advanced)
27 zTimothyBz (oral to RPM) (2008, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
28 zTimothyBz +1 (2008)
29 jmdavidson (2012 Newby, 2014)
30 jmdavidson +1 (2012 Newby, 2014)
31 hershelk (2014)
32 hershelk +1
33 kkv123 (2012 Newby, 2014)
34 kkv123 +1
35 cjseige (2014)
36 jawlz

Not Yet On the Bus
37 jawlz +1
38 joed10303
39 joed10303 +1
40 bsevern (2012 Newby)
41 bsevern +1
42 mother (2010)
43 polarbear22 (2008)
44 polarbear22 +1
45 time2testit (2014)
46 redhead11 (2014)
47 Molarchae (2014)
48 Klezman (2010, 2014)
49 Klezman +1
50 Merbill (2010, 2014)
51 Merbill +1 (2014)
52 Merbill +2
53 losthighwayz
54 losthighwayz +1
55 bolligra
56 mommadeb1
57 mommadeb1 +1
58 justplainjulie (2012 Newby, 2014)
59 justplainjulie +1 (2012 Newby, 2014)
60 chemvictim (2012 Newby, 2014)
61 chemvictim +1 (2012 Newby, 2014)
62 ddeuddeg (2008, 2010, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
63 bahwm (2008, 2010, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
64 chipgreen (2012 Newby, 2014)
65 chipgreen +1 (2012 Newby, 2014)
66 joelsisk (2012 Newby)
67 joelsisk +1 (2012 Newby)
68 tiger7610
69 jrb11
70 aces219 (2008, 2014)
71 aces219 +1 (2008, 2014)
72 wkdpanda (2010, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
73 wkdpanda +1
74 morewine
75 morewine +1
76 sdilullo
77 sdilullo +1
78 sosptuba
79 sosptuba +1
80 cmb82
81 mwfielder
82 mwfielder +1
83 ianchudson (2008)
84 ianchudson +1
85 zTimothyBz +2
86 zTimothyBz +3
87 Otolith (2012 Newby)
88 Otolith +1 (2012 Newby?)
89 txmusicman49 (2010, 2012 Advanced, 2014)
90 txmusicman49 +1 (2012 Advanced?, 2014)
91 tomatillo
92 tomatillo +1
93 darlenee1
94 darlenee1 +1
95 Globetrekkerdave
96 Globetrekkerdave +1
97 socrates2012
98 socrates2012 +1
99 exlaxer
100 exlaxer +1
101 silvermorph
102 serenitysk8r
103 michaepf
104 michaepf +1
105 rlmanzo
106 rlmanzo +1
107 fred2001
108 fred2001 +1
109 protease
110 protease +1
111 jcarmi04
112 jcarmi04 +1

Regrets:
20 MarkDaSpark +4

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

#2!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

North316

quality posts: 108 Private Messages North316

Count me in +1

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

karenhynes

quality posts: 18 Private Messages karenhynes

Count me in, too! (+1)

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

I am definitely interested. Oh and I guess put my +1 down as well.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 236 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

Ditto!

Plus three or four more.

x20             
Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

Zephyress

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Zephyress

Oh, dear, already? I'm in, with my +1.

Cesare

quality posts: 2398 Private Messages Cesare

duh. me + kttest

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 32 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

Us too! (me & Cheron98)

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

jmdavidson

quality posts: 69 Private Messages jmdavidson

Haven't even digested this tour and we are already doing a thread for the next one. Count me and +1 as in.

hershelk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages hershelk

Add Hershelk +1
Add kkv123 +1
Add cjseige

CT

jawlz

quality posts: 13 Private Messages jawlz

Jawlz and his +1 would be interested too, in the hopes that other circumstances don't once again interfere.

joed10303

quality posts: 4 Private Messages joed10303

Count me in +1

bsevern

quality posts: 115 Private Messages bsevern

Definitely interested, please add me and my +1.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother

Goddamnit, me, prolly waitlisted again...

polarbear22

quality posts: 41 Private Messages polarbear22

Please add me to the list. Kitchen remodel is done. And hopefully the other AC system won't fail in two years.

And better request +1 in hopes I can convince SWMBO to come.

redhead11

quality posts: 2 Private Messages redhead11

Add time2testit and redhead11 to the list!

molarchae

quality posts: 5 Private Messages molarchae

Pick me! Pick me!

Molarchae
Klezman + 1
Merrill +2 (standing next to us at EPI)

losthighwayz

quality posts: 83 Private Messages losthighwayz

Losthighwayz+1 please!

"The older I get the better I was"

bolligra

quality posts: 43 Private Messages bolligra

Put me in, please (single). Cannot go, however, if it is again in early August.

As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

mommadeb1

quality posts: 27 Private Messages mommadeb1

Put me down for me and +1

justplainjulie

quality posts: 7 Private Messages justplainjulie

Definitely me and +1!

chemvictim

quality posts: 4 Private Messages chemvictim

Me and +1

rjquillin

quality posts: 289 Private Messages rjquillin

Y'all do realize this is gonna be FIVE DAY tour.
Jus' sayin' so you can start collecting y'r pennies.

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 69 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Can't believe the thread isn't even a day old, and already bahwm and I are far down the list.
We'll be there, if there's room.

Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge. - Hester Browne
Filmmaker/winemaker Francis Ford Coppola says his two professions are almost the same and that each depends on source material and takes a lot of time to perfect.
The big difference: "Today's winemakers still worry about quality."

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

MarkDaSpark

rjquillin wrote:Y'all do realize this is gonna be FIVE DAY tour.
Jus' sayin' so you can start collecting y'r pennies.

True, but logistics are gonna be a nightmare!!

Sunday = Meet & Greet Napa/Sonoma
Monday = Napa or Northern Sonoma
Tuesday = Sonoma (with time for visit to Farmer's Market and no planned dinner.

Wednesday = Travel day to Amador/Lodi with visit to one or two wineries prior to hotel check-in.
Thursday = Amador/Lodi
Friday = Amador/Lodi

Or since there's such interest, perhaps split it into two 2-day tours? With Wednesday as the Meet & Greet?

There wouldn't be any headaches for RPM like in 2012, and logistics might be simpler (as in not needing a bus to transfer people from Sonoma to Amador/Lodi and back. Or needing shuttles to pick people up at the airports and to drop them off at the end.

Smaller size groups for both (perhaps 25?) means smaller buses and less expenses.

Just a wild thought.

x20             
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

merbill

quality posts: 41 Private Messages merbill
molarchae wrote:Pick me! Pick me!

Molarchae
Klezman + 1
Merrill +2 (standing next to us at EPI)

Merrill is really fat fingered Merbill

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919
Basket of Chocolate x 25
First Grape Debater

time2testit

quality posts: 17 Private Messages time2testit

Wow, we couldn't at least wait until the 2014 tour had really ended so those of us there without online access could see this post and "sign up" for 2 years from now (or mentioned it to us all at the tour?). Oh well, I guess we were just too busy enjoying the current tour to be worrying about the future! What a great 2014 tour it was....!

North316

MarkDaSpark wrote:True, but logistics are gonna be a nightmare!!

Wednesday = Travel day to Amador/Lodi with visit to one or two wineries prior to hotel check-in.
Thursday = Amador/Lodi
Friday = Amador/Lodi

Or since there's such interest, perhaps split it into two 2-day tours? With Wednesday as the Meet & Greet?

There wouldn't be any headaches for RPM like in 2012, and logistics might be simpler (as in not needing a bus to transfer people from Sonoma to Amador/Lodi and back. Or needing shuttles to pick people up at the airports and to drop them off at the end.

Smaller size groups for both (perhaps 25?) means smaller buses and less expenses.

Just a wild thought.

Nope, 5 days one tour, get over it.

If the 5 day tour is true, that makes me very happy. It's a lot easier to justify the cost of such a trip when initial expenses like flights are spread out over more than 3 days. As long as we know some details more than a month in advance, all will be well.

My CT

rpm

quality posts: 210 Private Messages rpm
MarkDaSpark wrote:True, but logistics are gonna be a nightmare!!

Thursday = Amador/Lodi
Friday = Amador/Lodi

Just a wild thought.

My initial thinking is to go to Lodi and Amador first, perhaps a Wed-Fri, lodging in Lodi (great place to stay). Then pick up on Monday in Sonoma/Napa.

For folks with cars, this is easy. For folks who are flying in and don't want to rent a car for a week, perhaps we could have a supplemental charge for a bus that would take from point A to point B over the weekend.

The logistics of the move are not simple. I also don't want to lose a week day to the movement, which is why I like the idea of moving over the weekend. That gives Tourists an opportunity to visit other wineries or sights, especially those from out of state.

It's all very tentative at this point, but will be thought and sorted through WELL in advance.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

North316

rpm wrote:My initial thinking is to go to Lodi and Amador first, perhaps a Wed-Fri, lodging in Lodi (great place to stay). Then pick up on Monday in Sonoma/Napa.

It's all very tentative at this point, but will be thought and sorted through [i]WELL[/i in advance.

+a lot

Let the savings begin.

My CT

MarkDaSpark

Sounds perfect!

x20             

jmdavidson

I really like the idea of a break in the middle. Even with swish & spit, I think alot of us were "wined out" by Wednesday afternoon. This makes more sense than some may realize.

chipgreen

quality posts: 286 Private Messages chipgreen
jmdavidson wrote:I really like the idea of a break in the middle. Even with swish & spit, I think alot of us were "wined out" by Wednesday afternoon. This makes more sense than some may realize.

I agree. Am interested +1. No fair starting the interest thread before the current tour ended!
Couldn't we have had a show of hands on the bus from current tourists? Some of us like to unplug while on vacation!

jmdavidson

chipgreen wrote:I agree. Am interested +1. No fair starting the interest thread before the current tour ended!
Couldn't we have had a show of hands on the bus from current tourists? Some of us like to unplug while on vacation!

Point well taken. As you know, from this tour and the previous one's, the drop out rate is pretty high when it gets closer to ponying up.

joelsisk

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joelsisk

I +1 am interested. odds are we'll be pregnant again, but that's what happens when 2.5 years +- 3 months schedule coincides with tours...

tiger7610

quality posts: 21 Private Messages tiger7610

I'm interested

jrb11

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jrb11

Definitely interested! Count me in!

CT

aces219

quality posts: 6 Private Messages aces219

Put us on the list. Am also sad that you started this that soon, but am also sure that dropout rate will be high.

wkdpanda

quality posts: 14 Private Messages wkdpanda

Of course we're interested. A week in CA with my wife? Duh!

And its +1 or bust this time.

----------------
Andy the Wicked Panda