MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!

And for those who feel the need to perform some Post Birthday festivities ...
Planning a Birthday Week, Birthday week info #2

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 30th.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

July
7/5: Denver #5: VIP Visitors
7/19: SoCal #34 Irvine Wine Locker Raid
TBD: MN#?: Coming out of hibernation...

August
August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread
August 9: SoCal #35: Housewarming at PSquishy's New Digs in Glendora, August 9th
August 23: NoVA #30: It's Pool Time Again - August 23rd

Summer
TBD: SoCal #3?: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

Pending
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
polarbear22 wrote:We just got a Roku stick from my MIL. What are some of the things we should check out?

Crackle is good as mentioned. If you have HBO, then HBOGo is a must. Subscribe to Netflix and Hulu and you've got those options. If you have Amazon Prime add that for Movie and TV goodness as well. History has a channel and I think there's a bunch of shows on that. PBS as mentioned. Showtime finally has an App, but Showtime essentially sucks as a channel.

Um, really Roku is great if you have a Netflix and/or the like. Otherwise, not enough free content to make me giddy. Oh, Plex, Plex allows you to stream things from your computer and other devices on the same network. You'll need to install Plex on your other devices as well. I have never bothered because there is nothing on my other devices I want to stream.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:Roku info

My 4 year old is now an expert on roku navigation. She was trying to explain to grandma this weekend how to use it. It was fairly amusing. In other news, my attorney wife still can't figure it out.

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:My 4 year old is now an expert on roku navigation. She was trying to explain to grandma this weekend how to use it. It was fairly amusing. In other news, my attorney wife still can't figure it out.

understandable with the old interface, the new interface is simple. Search the show/movie/actor you want to watch, it pops up everywhere that the show/movie/actor is watchable and any associated costs and you're on your way.

We're big fans of Wild Kratts in our house. I'm sure they watch that on PBS. New episodes starting July 11th or something, maybe 5th. Soon, that's all I know. Hulu+ has all 40 of the first season.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

MarkDaSpark

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
MarkDaSpark wrote:

Happy Tuesday! Happy Canada Day!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:Happy Tuesday! Happy Canada Day!

There's a Canada Day?

Stupid question, how did Canada get its independence? Ask really nice?

chipgreen

quality posts: 207 Private Messages chipgreen
bhodilee wrote:There's a Canada Day?

They paid for their independence with beer. Now take off, you hoser!

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 35 Private Messages ddeuddeg
chipgreen wrote:They paid for their independence with beer. Now take off, you hoser!

Click on image.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

chipgreen wrote:They paid for their independence with beer. Now take off, you hoser!

My wife cannot understand my fascination with this movie

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith

Is 2010 Corison Cab at $70/bottle a good deal?

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

bhodilee wrote:My wife cannot understand my fascination with this movie

This movie is pure awesomeness!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

cortot20

quality posts: 161 Private Messages cortot20
otolith wrote:Is 2010 Corison Cab at $70/bottle a good deal?

Not bad from the STP but Not a great vintage but still a corison. We had a local close out of the 08s at $45 that sent everybody scrambling. The price we used to pay here on woot was roughly $33 a bottle so viewed through that lense it's not a deal at all.

Not a bad price for an off year Kronos though.

CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
otolith wrote:Is 2010 Corison Cab at $70/bottle a good deal?

According to CT, yes it is. And based on price from Corison, yes it is. And in 6-8 years, you will agree.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

otolith

cortot20 wrote:Not bad from the STP but Not a great vintage but still a corison. We had a local close out of the 08s at $45 that sent everybody scrambling. The price we used to pay here on woot was roughly $33 a bottle so viewed through that lense it's not a deal at all.

polarbear22 wrote:According to CT, yes it is. And based on price from Corison, yes it is. And in 6-8 years, you will agree.

I believe 2010 is a good year in Napa, no?

There is a local liquor store offering it up for this. I may have to hit him up for a case. Polar, want me to save a few bottles for you to pick up at your convenience?

Also got my offer for 2010 Hillside Select today. and :ouch:

--John Muir

kylemittskus

quality posts: 233 Private Messages kylemittskus
otolith wrote:I believe 2010 is a good year in Napa, no?

There is a local liquor store offering it up for this. I may have to hit him up for a case. Polar, want me to save a few bottles for you to pick up at your convenience?

If it were within my means, I'd grab a case, but it's our anniversary year. Better than Cathy sells 'em. And it's only +$10 for the HSS.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

cortot20 wrote:Not bad from the STP but Not a great vintage but still a corison. We had a local close out of the 08s at $45 that sent everybody scrambling. The price we used to pay here on woot was roughly $33 a bottle so viewed through that lense it's not a deal at all.

Depends if it's a Corison Napa or a Corison Kronos ...

tytiger58

quality posts: 74 Private Messages tytiger58
bhodilee wrote:My wife cannot understand my fascination with this movie

She would forgive you it she ever saw this movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxMzNaMoMw

My apoligies if anyone finds this offensive

What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch? ~ W. C. Fields

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” Hunter S Thompson

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin

Just part of where the 26000 pounds of product will be loaded into. There just isn't a single angle to show it all.

In the foreground, those are 12 of the 16 10" mortars on each of the four barges.

Looking forward to shooting this on the 4th.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 130 Private Messages klezman
bhodilee wrote:There's a Canada Day?

More or less...yeah

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

ddeuddeg wrote:
Click on image.

I do love that they got Geddy Lee to do this track with them. Good Toronto boys, that Rush.

2014: 57 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2011 Wellington Cab & Merlot, Roessler 2009 Bluejay, 2010 Bell Cabernet
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
rjquillin wrote:Just part of where the 26000 pounds of product will be loaded into. There just isn't a single angle to show it all.

In the foreground, those are 12 of the 16 10" mortars on each of the four barges.

That is awesome... Which city?

polarbear22

otolith wrote:I believe 2010 is a good year in Napa, no?

Thanks for the offer. I am in the wine club at Corison, so I have four in the cellar. No offer from Schafer, so I may not have qualified. Have to watch for it at retail.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

Anyone recall Armida SurfZin? And if so, thoughts? They are offering a case special on 2012 that just was re-introduced.

My Cellar

bhodilee

tytiger58 wrote:She would forgive you it she ever saw this movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOxMzNaMoMw

My apoligies if anyone finds this offensive

I adore Bobcat. He's absolutely hilarious. If you ever get an opportunity have him tell the story about being on the plane with the Special Olympics team.

edit: it's here actually

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:Just part of where the 26000 pounds of product will be loaded into. There just isn't a single angle to show it all.

Apologies in advance, but I have to:

So, you're gonna blow your load?

bhodilee

klezman wrote:More or less...yeah

That's what I figured. I think I could very happily live in Vancouver though. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like a great place.

rjquillin

bhodilee wrote:Apologies in advance, but I have to:

So, you're gonna blow your load?

and hopefully not all at once like Garden State did two years ago. they did a free make-up show last year because they so completely (When 2 people love each other…)ed it up in '12.
We like to extend the enjoyment a bit.

CT

bhodilee

rjquillin wrote:and hopefully not all at once like Garden State did two years ago. they did a free make-up show last year because they so completely (When 2 people love each other…)ed it up in '12.
We like to extend the enjoyment a bit.

I remember that! it was EPIC, though unfortunate.

otolith

AWESOME!

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

I just want to say how cruel WineDavid is to those going on the RPM Tour ... we're trying to make room for what we buy, and he puts up Scott Harvey (2x), Wellington, Noyes, & now Laura!!!

Cruel he is.

(And Stillman too, but he's not in Napa/Sonoma area!)

cortot20

MarkDaSpark wrote:I just want to say how cruel WineDavid is to those going on the RPM Tour ... we're trying to make room for what we buy, and he puts up Scott Harvey (2x), Wellington, Noyes, & now Laura!!!

Cruel he is.

(And Stillman too, but he's not in Napa/Sonoma area!)

I'm not going on the tour and i bought none of these offers. I'm a failure of a wine.wooter

CT

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:Thanks for the offer. I am in the wine club at Corison, so I have four in the cellar. No offer from Schafer, so I may not have qualified. Have to watch for it at retail.

Bought 3 of the Corison, and 3 of the Kronos.

--John Muir

cortot20

otolith wrote:Bought 3 of the Corison, and 3 of the Kronos.

Hi roller! How much was the Kronos if you don't mind me asking?

CT

rjquillin

Today's progress on the barges:

Overview of two of he four barges.

Dropping some six inch product...

...and the 10 inch shells...

~not advised~ looking down the barrel of a loaded 10-incher.

Electrical connections, the 0Fx (16) circuit box is typical for all locations, this for a pod of six racks of 5x four inch guns; 30 shells total in this pod.

We have 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10-inch guns, many shooting as pairs or triplets, but some will be chained with up to 50 guns for a single cue. I don't know the exact number of cues, but it does approach 600. Do the math. That's a lot of shots per barge, with four synchronized barges.

Tomorrow, we drop the finale and set filler cakes in various caliber from 19 to 50mm, with a minimum of 50 shots up to those with up to 300 per cake.

CT

bahwm

quality posts: 34 Private Messages bahwm
rjquillin wrote:Today's progress on the barges:

Overview of two of he four barges.

Dropping some six inch product...

...and the 10 inch shells...

~not advised~ looking down the barrel of a loaded 10-incher.

Electrical connections, the 0Fx (16) circuit box is typical for all locations, this for a pod of six racks of 5x four inch guns; 30 shells total in this pod.

We have 3, 4, 5, 6, 8 and 10-inch guns, many shooting as pairs or triplets, but some will be chained with up to 50 guns for a single cue. I don't know the exact number of cues, but it does approach 600. Do the math. That's a lot of shots per barge, with four synchronized barges.

Tomorrow, we drop the finale and set filler cakes in various caliber from 19 to 50mm, with a minimum of 50 shots up to those with up to 300 per cake.

This is most impressive! What do you have to do with it all? I've never seen the fireworks set up close up.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin

bahwm wrote:This is most impressive! What do you have to do with it all? I've never seen the fireworks set up close up.

Part of the set-up and operations crew. Something I do when there are larger shows in the area, I tend to avoid the smaller ones.
I've been shooting since the early '80's.

Hopefully I'm not taking the train too far off the tracks, but I thought some here may be interested.

CT

klezman

rjquillin wrote:Part of the set-up and operations crew. Something I do when there are larger shows in the area, I tend to avoid the smaller ones.
I've been shooting since the early '80's.

Hopefully I'm not taking the train too far off the tracks, but I thought some here may be interested.

If there's room for a helping hand some other show let me know. That looks like fun to set up and understand how it all goes together.

rjquillin

klezman wrote:If there's room for a helping hand some other show let me know. That looks like fun to set up and understand how it all goes together.

We are almost ~always~ looking for help.
The hours suck, it's manual labor, and the pay on a good one ~may~ be above minimum wage, if you're lucky.

CT