$129.99 $229.99 43% off List Price
Maine Lobster Tail, 4 oz 10-Pack

Delivered in time for Fourth of July
NOTE: Lobster Tails will be shipped frozen

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

maryanneso

quality posts: 0 Private Messages maryanneso

Are these lobster tails cooked then frozen, or are they frozen raw?

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Are these the 3~4 oz or the 4~5 oz tails?
Neither seems to match the pricing on the website but the copy suggests these are the smaller 3~4 oz tails that equal a 1# lobster.
but they are sporting with their Black Ties on

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
maryanneso wrote:Are these lobster tails cooked then frozen, or are they frozen raw?

From the website:
"Frozen fresh and shipped directly to your door, frozen"
it would seem raw.

CT

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Are these the 3~4 oz or the 4~5 oz tails?
Neither seems to match the pricing on the website but the copy suggests these are the smaller 3~4 oz tails that equal a 1# lobster.
but they are sporting with their Black Ties on

Specs/Features list:
Maine Lobster Tail, 4oz 10-Pack
(4 oz is approximately equal to a 1 pound live Maine lobster tail)

tczuba

quality posts: 1 Private Messages tczuba
rjquillin wrote:Are these the 3~4 oz or the 4~5 oz tails?
Neither seems to match the pricing on the website, but the copy suggests these are the smaller 3~4 oz tails that equal a 1# lobster
http://allmainelobster.com/shop/maine-lobster-tails-10-pack

Indeed! Size is one thing, but boasting 43% off, when they're actually just under 28% off is a whole different boat...one might even say it's a 'lobster trap'

poorhungrydoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages poorhungrydoctor
tczuba wrote:Indeed! Size is one thing, but boasting 43% off, when they're actually just under 28% off is a whole different boat...one might even say it's a 'lobster trap'

Here's what I think is going on.
1) You get their smallest sized 3-4 Oz, 10 pack priced regularly @ $179.99
2) AML charges $39.94 shipping (to CA).
3) Total comes out to $219.93 which is close to what they advertise (+ tax where it applies.)

You are getting that at $129.99 + $5 = $134.99
So the savings would be about 39% (less tax where it applies).

The problem is AML guarantees the lobster delivery from boat to door in 24 hours, while woot offers this on July 4th. So basically, at worst, your lobster will sit in a fridge or truck for 8 days. Personally, I don't think this is a shocking deal, but still pretty good one.

misspiggyfan

quality posts: 0 Private Messages misspiggyfan

If they're red, they're cooked. They turn red when you cook them.

Barbie

Greshmahg

quality posts: 50 Private Messages Greshmahg

If you're silly enough to pay $52 a pound for lobster tails, then there's really not much I can say to you. You're likely also the type who's crazy enough to pay Omaha Steak's outrageous prices on meat, completely failing to realize that you are paying through the nose for your own ignorance on how to acquire equal or superior ingredients for a fraction of the cost.

For one thing, there's a huge lobster surplus going on right now. If you pay more than $15 a pound for a whole live lobster, you're getting ripped off (15 is less than 52, btw). And with a live lobster, you're also getting claw meat, which is frankly better than tail meat. These are completely frozen and then mailed to you - lobster meat is very delicate, and freezing will damage the cell walls of the meat and give it an odd texture, to say nothing of a reduction in flavour. A 1 lb lobster (what these tails come from) is also not the ideal weight to pluck one from the sea, as 1.5-2 lbs is the sweet spot for fully developed flavour.

Lastly, have I mentioned that you're insane if you pay 52 dollars a pound for lobster tails? Christ, I can go to one of the nicest restaurants in this city and not pay 52 dollars a pound - and I live way the hell out in Seattle, about as far from Maine as you can get without leaving the continent.

poorhungrydoctor

quality posts: 7 Private Messages poorhungrydoctor
Greshmahg wrote:If you're silly enough to pay $52 a pound for lobster tails, then there's really not much I can say to you. You're likely also the type who's crazy enough to pay Omaha Steak's outrageous prices on meat, completely failing to realize that you are paying through the nose for your own ignorance on how to acquire equal or superior ingredients for a fraction of the cost.

For one thing, there's a huge lobster surplus going on right now. If you pay more than $15 a pound for a whole live lobster, you're getting ripped off (15 is less than 52, btw). And with a live lobster, you're also getting claw meat, which is frankly better than tail meat. These are completely frozen and then mailed to you - lobster meat is very delicate, and freezing will damage the cell walls of the meat and give it an odd texture, to say nothing of a reduction in flavour. A 1 lb lobster (what these tails come from) is also not the ideal weight to pluck one from the sea, as 1.5-2 lbs is the sweet spot for fully developed flavour.

Lastly, have I mentioned that you're insane if you pay 52 dollars a pound for lobster tails? Christ, I can go to one of the nicest restaurants in this city and not pay 52 dollars a pound - and I live way the hell out in Seattle, about as far from Maine as you can get without leaving the continent.

I know very little about purchasing lobsters and your post put things in perspective. Thanks for the educational post.

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga
Greshmahg wrote:If you're silly enough to pay $52 a pound for lobster tails, then there's really not much I can say to you. You're likely also the type who's crazy enough to pay Omaha Steak's outrageous prices on meat, completely failing to realize that you are paying through the nose for your own ignorance on how to acquire equal or superior ingredients for a fraction of the cost.

Thank you for posting this. After doing a few tours in New England where we paid under $6 a pound for chicken lobsters, I really shake my head at "deals" like this. Granted, these are prepped, ready to go, delivered to your door, and you don't have to deal with executing the poor suckers, but I think one might get a better deal at their local fish market by buying live lobsters. (I swear the last time I cooked live lobsters I came this close to throwing them back in Narraganset Bay--they looked at me with their sad beady little eyes...)
I much prefer claw meat vice tail. I think it's sweeter, but that just might be my imagination.

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

vineaux

quality posts: 1 Private Messages vineaux

Your local Harris Teeters or Giant/Safeway have this regularly for about $6/tail (plus tax) - so you still pay about double with woot. Otherwise, fully live lobsters from a tank runs about $7/lbs. For about 10-12 bucks you got claw and everything - FRESH!!!

uncleop

quality posts: 2 Private Messages uncleop

Spot on, Greshmahg. I live in Maine and simply laugh at the thought of this deal. Ditto for the Omaha folk. All I can say is: meh[.com]

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
uncleop wrote:Spot on, Greshmahg. I live in Maine and simply laugh at the thought of this deal. Ditto for the Omaha folk. All I can say is: meh[.com]

Agreed. What's funny is that Maine is lit up on the sales map...

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

LaVikinga

quality posts: 13 Private Messages LaVikinga

For those of you within driving distance of a Publix grocery store, this week (and thru 2 July) they are offering previously frozen fresh, wild harvested lobster tails, minimum 3 oz. per tail, for $4.99 each.
The ad does not say from they were harvested.

(Sorry to be one of those people, Mods, but woot used to be all about the great deals they offered. Even you have to admit today's offering isn't so stellar.)

Wine may not heal all things, but it sure will make you feel a whole lot better.

woothatesme

quality posts: 0 Private Messages woothatesme

In NJ, the ShopRite around the corner regularly has chicken lobsters (1-1.25lbs, though they usu come in at ~1.5 apiece) for 5.99/lb.

Would not take this deal.

bsmith1

quality posts: 103 Private Messages bsmith1

To people above comparing prices of lobster by the pound:
These are just the delicious tails; not the whole lobster. So your comparisons are flawed if you're comparing a 1 lobster to 1 pound of lobster tails. Arguably, the tail is worth more than the rest of the lobster.
You're paying for convenience here too. There are lots of land-locked states in this nation and some towns only have a walmart to buy lobster or no store at all. It is funny how someone pointed out all the sales in Maine though.

hockeypucks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hockeypucks

I would also agree your comparisons are flawed. Also, your buying lobster from the source and paying for freshness and delivered to your door. I personally would never eat a Lobster that has been sitting in a tank at a grocery store far from it's source. There probably weeks old a few google searches for "Lobsters from grocery tanks" will be all you need before shopping for your next lobster dinner. I'll go fresh thank you.

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

Just Google up Maine lobster, lots of deals out there, bigger tails too. Size does matter.

zolttt

quality posts: 11 Private Messages zolttt

Just to throw my hat in the ring, 13 dollars per lobster tail (13.50 after shipping, god knows how much higher after tax) is just silly. Freshdirect sells them (granted flash frozen, but still) for 8 dollars a piece. In addition, and as mentioned above you can get 9 entire 1.5 lobsters for the price of these 4 oz tails on fresh direct as well. This price is probably cheaper at many grocery stores. I use fresh direct to compare because they too will deliver it to your door.

goldiemcg

quality posts: 13 Private Messages goldiemcg

Don't know about you guys but I can drive down the street to Publix, Kroger or the Farmer's Market and get these (bigger ones most likely) for cheaper.

goldiemcg

quality posts: 13 Private Messages goldiemcg
LaVikinga wrote:For those of you within driving distance of a Publix grocery store, this week (and thru 2 July) they are offering previously frozen fresh, wild harvested lobster tails, minimum 3 oz. per tail, for $4.99 each.
The ad does not say from they were harvested.

(Sorry to be one of those people, Mods, but woot used to be all about the great deals they offered. Even you have to admit today's offering isn't so stellar.)

Sweet, thanks for the heads up!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 16 Private Messages daveinwarshington
goldiemcg wrote:Don't know about you guys but I can drive down the street to Publix, Kroger or the Farmer's Market and get these (bigger ones most likely) for cheaper.

I agree. Our Albertsons has live lobster, all the stores have great frozen ones, and Pike Place Market has outstanding lobster.
The best deal is at Anthony's Restaurant, and they do the dishes...

cabaretsinger

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cabaretsinger

I was going to post the very same thing. It's not a deal at all for me when my local HEB sells them every day for $6.99 each ($28/lb.) and on holidays for $5.99 each ($24/lb.)

hockeypucks

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hockeypucks

Sorry I lived in Maine folks and now that I live away I always buy my lobster from local lobster pounds on line because I know I am getting a product that is harvested within a couple of days from shipment. Ask your local fish monger, grocery store (lobsters sitting for weeks in there own excrement yum) or if frozen are they "Maine" or Canadian (huge difference) and how long have they been in the freezer. I have googled Maine Lobster tails on line today and although this is not a stellar deal it's still the best price for Lobster Tails delivered to your door. At least I know they are going to be fresh but to each his own. It's like buying a Toyota and saying you have a Lexus same company different cars!

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
North316 wrote:Agreed. What's funny is that Maine is lit up on the sales map...

That is rather curious.

CT

cabaretsinger

quality posts: 6 Private Messages cabaretsinger
bsmith1 wrote:To people above comparing prices of lobster by the pound:
These are just the delicious tails; not the whole lobster. So your comparisons are flawed if you're comparing a 1 lobster to 1 pound of lobster tails. Arguably, the tail is worth more than the rest of the lobster.
You're paying for convenience here too. There are lots of land-locked states in this nation and some towns only have a walmart to buy lobster or no store at all. It is funny how someone pointed out all the sales in Maine though.

Nothing flawed in Greshmahg's post. These tails come out to $52/lb. no matter how you figure it and for the others, a 1# lobster yielding a (approx.) 4oz. tail is spot on.

john92024

quality posts: 1 Private Messages john92024

One more thing to consider when you're buying your lobster; be sure you get lobster from cold water areas. You'll often times find deals on warm water lobster (S. America for one) but they're not nearly as good as cold water lobster. Costco is famous for selling boxes of lobster tails at a great price...but if you look closely the label will note they are from warm water. Just an FYI.

lurcher

quality posts: 8 Private Messages lurcher
john92024 wrote:One more thing to consider when you're buying your lobster; be sure you get lobster from cold water areas. You'll often times find deals on warm water lobster (S. America for one) but they're not nearly as good as cold water lobster. Costco is famous for selling boxes of lobster tails at a great price...but if you look closely the label will note they are from warm water. Just an FYI.

Am I the only one that prefers a Caribbean lobster to a Maine one?

Greshmahg

daveinwarshington wrote:I agree. Our Albertsons has live lobster, all the stores have great frozen ones, and Pike Place Market has outstanding lobster.
The best deal is at Anthony's Restaurant, and they do the dishes...

When I made my post, the restaurant I was thinking of was Canlis, because they have their lobsters shipped in from Maine - live - daily. For about $60, they'll give you the whole thing, with sides, and an incredible view, and the ability to take a date to friggin' Canlis - and you know what that means. I like Anthony's, too.

For the record, though, the place to buy live lobster out here is Uwajimaya. You can routinely find them there (Maine) for 9.99 a pound. And if you ask, they'll even dip it in boiling water for you so you don't have to do the deed.

Greshmahg

hockeypucks wrote:Sorry I lived in Maine folks and now that I live away I always buy my lobster from local lobster pounds on line because I know I am getting a product that is harvested within a couple of days from shipment. Ask your local fish monger, grocery store (lobsters sitting for weeks in there own excrement yum) or if frozen are they "Maine" or Canadian (huge difference) and how long have they been in the freezer. I have googled Maine Lobster tails on line today and although this is not a stellar deal it's still the best price for Lobster Tails delivered to your door. At least I know they are going to be fresh but to each his own. It's like buying a Toyota and saying you have a Lexus same company different cars!

Except they aren't fresh. The moment you freeze a lobster tail, any concept of "freshness" goes out the window. The damage has been done at that point, and there's no recovering from it. Once those cell walls have been ripped apart by the ice crystals, your "fresh" lobster tastes no different than the one from Honduras you buy at the grocery store for $4.99.

Agatha

quality posts: 2 Private Messages Agatha

There are lots of places where you can't get fresh lobster. I live in one of them. It's the middle of the desert, and 3 hours from the nearest airport. You pretty much have to get things frozen.

It would be nice to be able to get fresh Maine lobsters, but it just isn't going to happen.

MichXelle

quality posts: 37 Private Messages MichXelle
rjquillin wrote:From the website:
"Frozen fresh and shipped directly to your door, frozen"
it would seem raw.

But the instructions for cooking state to cook while live.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

cabaretsinger wrote:Nothing flawed in Greshmahg's post. These tails come out to $52/lb. no matter how you figure it and for the others, a 1# lobster yielding a (approx.) 4oz. tail is spot on.

The 4 oz. tail comes from approximately a 1 lb lobster which is on the small side.

OVER 550 W00T CARTFULS as of 06/25/14. You're killing us with some wonderful items W000T!

OVER 8 years on W00T shopping and The W00T Forum, since 02/06 with now a whopping 34 Quality Posts L-M-A-O! We do post quality information as do others that isn't recognized. Thanks for the 3 in 1 entire week! We're humbled. 3 additional noticed in 3 months. No more positive posts as our are not noticed.

MichXelle

woothatesme wrote:In NJ, the ShopRite around the corner regularly has chicken lobsters (1-1.25lbs, though they usu come in at ~1.5 apiece) for 5.99/lb.

Would not take this deal.

We love Shop Rite and even the Market Basket which is up sale sells the same as these for $4.99 each, 4 to 5 oz. when in stock. We weren't impressed with them. Simply lobsters dot com prices are lower. We don't know the difference in quality if there is any.

MichXelle

LaVikinga wrote:Thank you for posting this. After doing a few tours in New England where we paid under $6 a pound for chicken lobsters, I really shake my head at "deals" like this. Granted, these are prepped, ready to go, delivered to your door, and you don't have to deal with executing the poor suckers, but I think one might get a better deal at their local fish market by buying live lobsters. (I swear the last time I cooked live lobsters I came this close to throwing them back in Narraganset Bay--they looked at me with their sad beady little eyes...)
I much prefer claw meat vice tail. I think it's sweeter, but that just might be my imagination.

We find tail meat not to be as sweet as claw meat also and to be tougher. If that was the case for all then why is Surf and Turf beef tenderloin (filet mignon) with a larger tail? Other sites sell the claws themselves, tempted to do that or just have dinner out for the same or lower price per ounce. Had we bought from this site before and liked what we got, we would be in for a bunch. We have no idea of the quality or age as they are frozen. They state fresh but who knows once they're "fresh frozen".

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
Agatha wrote:There are lots of places where you can't get fresh lobster. I live in one of them. It's the middle of the desert, and 3 hours from the nearest airport. You pretty much have to get things frozen.

It would be nice to be able to get fresh Maine lobsters, but it just isn't going to happen.

I would love to get those fresh Maine lobsters too, but I live in South Dakota. If you Google "furthest point from salt water in United States", you'll find that it's in South Dakota.

Still not buying on this deal, though. But all the folks who can get fresh lobster are making me jealous.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

SourKraut412

quality posts: 0 Private Messages SourKraut412

Can't say it much better than this, our local Safeway routinely has similar sized Maine lobster tails for around $10-12 which is basically what this amounts to. Also, there are companies that will ship live whole lobsters for a much better price all things considered

mike808

quality posts: 40 Private Messages mike808

For those squeamish about "lobsters in grocery store tanks", just find out where the local high-end restaurant gets its lobster from (i.e. a local fishmonger/seafood distributor/wholesaler) and see if they do walk-up sales. Most do or will.

In STL, that's Bob's Seafood. Everything turns over daily pretty much, so no sitting in the tank for weeks. Also, the local Costco/Sams also has lobsters whole and tail. Mussels too.

Personally, I prefer Mussels. In Brussels. Ah, Moules and Frittes (double-dipped in beef tallow of course!) and Rochefort 12º to wash it down.