Stillman "Zeppelin" Pinot Noir 2-Pack
$69.99 $129.00 46% off List Price
2013 Stillman “Zeppelin” Pinot Noir, San Luis Obispo County
CT link above

Website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

stillmanbrown

quality posts: 138 Private Messages stillmanbrown

Bring on the questions, the comments, the opinions! Crawl out from under that bridge in Silicon Valley and sniff the Pinot!

stillmanbrown

The vineyard's under two miles from the ocean, between Cambria and Hearst Castle. Yield was about 1.5 tons/acre, all clone 777. Think of it as a Kosta-Browne without 140% new oak or four grams of sugar per bottle.

stillmanbrown

Crickets! This board is as dead as Robert Parker's reputation. So, what else can I say . . . this is the kind of Pinot Noir I wouldn't have made while he was alive, for fear of being accused of Kosta-Browne-nosing him. It does NOT smell like Syrah - but the structure is fruit-dense. It's quite dark for PN, unfiltered, more acidic than tannic, and all barrels were 1-2 year old Francois Freres.

jcassens5

quality posts: 7 Private Messages jcassens5

I enjoyed Stillman Brown's Colossus Syrah! Very intense and enjoyable stuff. I'm interested to see if anyone has notes on this (perhaps it's too new)? Or maybe, Stillman Brown, you can tell me what you enjoy about this wine...

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Man, do I wish I could.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

bubbaprog

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bubbaprog

Any cellaring projections?

stillmanbrown

jcassens5 wrote:I enjoyed Stillman Brown's Colossus Syrah! Very intense and enjoyable stuff. I'm interested to see if anyone has notes on this (perhaps it's too new)? Or maybe Stillman Brown, you can tell me what you enjoy about this wine...

There will be two people, I think, chiming on who will have it tomorrow. What do I enjoy besides talking about it???

stillmanbrown

bubbaprog wrote:Any cellaring projections?

With Pinot it's tough. The '12 has opened up some, but it was picked earlier than this wine. I'll fall back on my 'it depends on cellar temperature' line.

stillmanbrown

I'm going to read some short stories and keep checking in here. I am not going to start in on Ulysses unless there's a major lull.

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
stillmanbrown wrote:Crickets! This board is as dead as Robert Parker's reputation. So, what else can I say . . . this is the kind of Pinot Noir I wouldn't have made while he was alive, for fear of being accused of Kosta-Browne-nosing him. It does NOT smell like Syrah - but the structure is fruit-dense. It's quite dark for PN, unfiltered, more acidic than tannic, and all barrels were 1-2 year old Francois Freres.

Is the TA a little higher than average relative to the pH, or do I just not normally pay enough attention to that information?

stillmanbrown

chipgreen wrote:Is the TA a little higher than average relative to the pH, or do I just not normally pay enough attention to that information?

I pay even less, unless it's seriously out of whack (high pH high TA would be a nightmare)

stillmanbrown

chipgreen wrote:Is the TA a little higher than average relative to the pH, or do I just not normally pay enough attention to that information?

But considering the low yield, very cool climate, picked quite ripe, it's rather more normal than you'd expect. A Death Valley Syrah, on the other hand, would probably show some wild numbers.

chipgreen

quality posts: 179 Private Messages chipgreen
stillmanbrown wrote:But considering the low yield, very cool climate, picked quite ripe, it's rather more normal than you'd expect. A Death Valley Syrah, on the other hand, would probably show some wild numbers.

Thanks, I just pushed the big orange/yellow/whatever button. The comment about this being in your top 10 over the last 30 years was enough for me. Looking forward to a unique PN experience....

stillmanbrown

chipgreen wrote:Thanks, I just pushed the big orange/yellow/whatever button. The comment about this being in your top 10 over the last 30 years was enough for me. Looking forward to a unique PN experience....

Thanks!

stillmanbrown

Eli Wallach died.
"Drat."
I have to go smoke a little cigar now.

cortot20

quality posts: 132 Private Messages cortot20

Wow, a 13' red. Stillman I thought you only made wine north of the equator! I would love to purchase and try it out but the storage space is full for my higher priced bottles. So don't sell it all today, I want a 2nd chance at it.

CT

stillmanbrown

cortot20 wrote:Wow, a 13' red. Stillman I thought you only made wine north of the equator! I would love to purchase and try it out but the storage space is full for my higher priced bottles. So don't sell it all today, I want a 2nd chance at it.

Well, that may not happen here, sadly. But you have my email . . . Now excuse me but I really have to go cry over the death of Eli Wallach.

cortot20

Since you listed this wine as in your top ten favorite of all time. What's the number one wine you have crafted that tops your list? And what you think was the worst wine you ever produced that got bottled, labeled, and sold?

CT

bsevern

quality posts: 109 Private Messages bsevern

Opened a bottle of your first bottling of the Colossus Syrah over Memorial Day weekend, and was a bit concerned that the high alcohol (17%!!!!) would be the predominant characteristic of this aged wine, and to my (and everyone else) delight, it was a killer Syrah! Perhaps not exactly varietaly correct, but not a hint of alcohol, and very smooth and balanced.

stillmanbrown

cortot20 wrote:Since you listed this wine as in your top ten favorite of all time. What's the number one wine you have crafted that tops your list? And what you think was the worst wine you ever produced that got bottled, labeled, and sold?

There is no #1, though the '05 La Mort du Roi was also top 10, and had the best label. Worst? I hope I've forgotten it. '98 NM red wasn't awesome, and a consulting job that was a shiteshow in CA '97-99.

stillmanbrown

bsevern wrote:Opened a bottle of your first bottling of the Colossus Syrah over Memorial Day weekend, and was a bit concerned that the high alcohol (17%!!!!) would be the predominant characteristic of this aged wine, and to my (and everyone else) delight, it was a killer Syrah! Perhaps not exactly varietaly correct, but not a hint of alcohol, and very smooth and balanced.

Well, varietally correct for that location? Thanks!

jomac360

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jomac360

I have bought many wines from Stillman over the past few years. I really don't understand any of the tech talk. This is what happens when the FEDX guy leaves. We open a bottle and let it breath. I pour 2 glasses. We swirl it and smell it at finally taste it. Then we look at each other shake our heads and then make primal noises of approval. We finish with " Oh my G.... this is really good." Thank you Stillman in for 3. P.S we don't like to share.

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman
stillmanbrown wrote:high pH high TA would be a nightmare

Interesting...Clark Smith (who also spends time here on occasion) is quite vocal about the benefits of high pH/high acid winemaking. I suppose it has to do with buffering capacity and all that jazz, but I'm curious on the alternate viewpoint.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

jrb11

quality posts: 0 Private Messages jrb11

This is the first '13 Red I've seen anywhere... how long was it in the barrels?

cortot20

Stillman, I enjoy these more understated labels. I typically enjoy your more colorful labels as well but they, like the woot cellars labels do not convey the quality of the contents. Labels like these make your very serious wines more serious looking. Thanks for this black tie offer it looks really nice.

Cheers.

CT

stillmanbrown

klezman wrote:Interesting...Clark Smith (who also spends time here on occasion) is quite vocal about the benefits of high pH/high acid winemaking. I suppose it has to do with buffering capacity and all that jazz, but I'm curious on the alternate viewpoint.

Since smaller amounts of SO2 don't work very well with high pH wines, they're going to be some combination of high SO2, oxidized, and/or tannic. I've had excellent examples of all of them, but I don't seek out that chemistry in the first place. I also enjoy low medium and high TA wines (because that's what our palates detect, the acids themselves).

stillmanbrown

cortot20 wrote:Stillman, I enjoy these more understated labels. I typically enjoy your more colorful labels as well but they, like the woot cellars labels do not convey the quality of the contents. Labels like these make your very serious wines more serious looking. Thanks for this black tie offer it looks really nice.

Cheers.

True, a wine with a label showing Cthulhu tearing down the Morro Bay power plant stacks, or the Death of the King (Elvis falling off the throne) damn well better be good with such insanity on the outside. But it doesn't affect the taste, unless you lick the label.

stillmanbrown

jrb11 wrote:This is the first '13 Red I've seen anywhere... how long was it in the barrels?

A little over eight months - it comes in early, even though it's very coastal, because it's also very low yield - September is the "hottest" month within a few miles of the beach around here (seriously, look it up!) and the picking window can be as little as 3-4 days. I also take it out of barrel the day before bottling. All six barrels were 1-2 year old FF.

stillmanbrown

jomac360 wrote:I have bought many wines from Stillman over the past few years. I really don't understand any of the tech talk. This is what happens when the FEDX guy leaves. We open a bottle and let it breath. I pour 2 glasses. We swirl it and smell it at finally taste it. Then we look at each other shake our heads and then make primal noises of approval. We finish with " Oh my G.... this is really good." Thank you Stillman in for 3. P.S we don't like to share.

Thanks! (Make sure the FedEx guy is really gone, though.)

birdman5589

quality posts: 0 Private Messages birdman5589

I would have been all over this but since I now live in Kansas....

Kainc

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Kainc
stillmanbrown wrote:There will be two people, I think, chiming on who will have it tomorrow. What do I enjoy besides talking about it???

No rats? I need something to push me over the edge, not being a Pinot drinker. Uh, mmm, how does this compare to the Chateau D'Abalone Grenache Blanc??

cortot20

Kainc wrote:No rats? I need something to push me over the edge, not being a Pinot drinker. Uh, mmm, how does this compare to the Chateau D'Abalone Grenache Blanc??

I'm curious about this to. Who did you send these to. I need names to hand out proper punishment for not doing their duty.

CT

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 174 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cortot20 wrote:I'm curious about this to. Who did you send these to. I need names to hand out proper punishment for not doing their duty.

Patience grasshopper. If you read, we only got them today.

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

losthighwayz

quality posts: 58 Private Messages losthighwayz
MarkDaSpark wrote:Patience grasshopper. If you read, we only got them today.

And its 648

"The older I get the better I was"

slm9951

quality posts: 14 Private Messages slm9951

Stillman, the reason there is not much discussion is that so many states have been kicked out of wine woot. What can we say about wine we can not buy? Love you, miss you!

cortot20

MarkDaSpark wrote:Patience grasshopper. If you read, we only got them today.

Why post this when you should be popping a cork and taking notes. I thought you were a pro.

CT

stillmanbrown

birdman5589 wrote:I would have been all over this but since I now live in Kansas....

I can smuggle anywhere . . . well, in the US anyway. (Certainly Kansas, I shipped there a few weeks ago.)
Email me: StillmanB@aol.com

stillmanbrown

cortot20 wrote:Why post this when you should be popping a cork and taking notes. I thought you were a pro.

No merde, Tuco!