Sanford & Benedict 1979 Library Cabernet Sauvignon 2-Pack
$49.99 $110.00 55% off List Price
1979 Sanford & Benedict Cabernet Sauvignon, Santa Ynez Valley
CT link above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

sdfreedive

quality posts: 22 Private Messages sdfreedive

Bell pepper? I think I'll pass.
But this seems a screaming deal for those that don't mind it.

jaykid007

quality posts: 14 Private Messages jaykid007

Looks good and old... May take a stab

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

35 year old cab for about $30 a bottle shipped. Seems like a no brainer. Was 79' a good central coast year?

CT

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

RPM...

Calling rpm!

CT

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:RPM...

Calling rpm!

Yeah really, with only 120 woots avaible I want to jump on this but I told myself no wine buying for a couple of months. I'll sleep on it and see if my decision was made for me overnight.

CT

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday

Neat article on the vineyard's history:

Link to article

Note that in the article they mention that it is actually a cab/merlot blend. They also state (last May) that the 79 is good but past its prime. Not that I expect any less from a 35 year old bottle at this price, but still, just FYI.

All that said, I may pick one up just for the novelty/to try it, as it does seem like a rare opportunity...

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:35 year old cab for about $30 a bottle shipped. Seems like a no brainer. Was 79' a good central coast year?

$50 a pop here and it looks like that's where the copy came from as well.

CT

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
rjquillin wrote:RPM...

Calling rpm!

I don't remember this particular wine, though I remember the '79 Zaca Mesa from the region as very good in its youth - Santa Maria/Santa Barbara was just beginning to be known for reds ion these years. Definitely worth the flyer! I was supposed to 'rat this, but we're in Scotland and I couldn't. I highly recommend trying this just for the historical interest and the bragging rights! I had a '79 BV de Latour not that long ago that was drinking very, very well for its age.

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

boris1957

quality posts: 3 Private Messages boris1957

1979:
Year #3 of the Carter admin, soon to re-establish the Selective Service registration requirement.

Ozzie leaves/fired from Black Sabbath.

Not a great year for humans, hopefully better for wine :-)

skidd420

quality posts: 0 Private Messages skidd420

I had to bite on this. I am no connoisseur but I would love the try this wine for the price. Would you suggesting an aerator or a decanter?

rjquillin

This should make for a lively Sunday, if it lasts that long.

Thanks rpm!

CT

joshsting

quality posts: 11 Private Messages joshsting
greyday wrote:Neat article on the vineyard's history:

Link to article

Note that in the article they mention that it is actually a cab/merlot blend. They also state (last May) that the 79 is good but past its prime. Not that I expect any less from a 35 year old bottle at this price, but still, just FYI.

All that said, I may pick one up just for the novelty/to try it, as it does seem like a rare opportunity...

Looks like the tasting notes in that article are for the '79 pinot not the cab being offered in this woot. Any rats available?

joshsting

joshsting wrote:Looks like the tasting notes in that article are for the '79 pinot not the cab being offered in this woot. Any rats available?

Well, nevermind. Already sold out. Sigh! Knew I should have bit as soon as I saw it

rjquillin

Wow,
An hour fifteen.
Longer than I expected.

Next...

CT

greyday

quality posts: 51 Private Messages greyday
joshsting wrote:Looks like the tasting notes in that article are for the '79 pinot not the cab being offered in this woot. Any rats available?

Good catch, not sure how I missed that. The blend thing is really all that article was good for, I guess.

joshsting

greyday wrote:Good catch, not sure how I missed that. The blend thing is really all that article was good for, I guess.

No worries! Thanks for the article, it was a good read!

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

..•*¨`*•.☆.•*¨`*•..•*¨`*•.☆.•*¨`*•..
HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL YOU MUMS!!!
✿•*¨`*•...(¯`v´¯)(¯`v´¯)...•*¨`*•✿
.....✿•*¨`*•.¸(¯`v´¯)¸.•´*¨`*•✿...
................♥ •.¸.•´♥.................

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
joshsting wrote:Well, nevermind. Already sold out. Sigh! Knew I should have bit as soon as I saw it

Glad I bit!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I heartily approve of woots that sell out... Brings part of the wootish character in.

That being said, this was quick enough that I have to imagine others on their way. Other vintages?

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
cmaldoon wrote:I heartily approve of woots that sell out... Brings part of the wootish character in.

That being said, this was quick enough that I have to imagine others on their way. Other vintages?

Yeah, seriously. I just checked, did a double-take, jaw hit the floor, came to take a closer look and saw it was gone. Sadness. Anybody want to share?

More vintages? Older? Maybe some 1980 or 1984, WD? Birth year wines are always a good thing.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Just woke up here out East. Offers come up too late. Long gone. This was a short offer. Better for a woot-off I feel.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

jmdavidson

quality posts: 55 Private Messages jmdavidson
polarbear22 wrote:Just woke up here out East. Offers come up too late. Long gone. This was a short offer. Better for a woot-off I feel.

+1. Good deal for the west coasters. Out here, we snoozed, we...oh never mind.

rjquillin

skidd420 wrote:I had to bite on this. I am no connoisseur but I would love the try this wine for the price. Would you suggesting an aerator or a decanter?

Expect sediment; decant. Very carefully.
What's left here may fade very quickly.
Aeration would likely induce an even earlier death.
Just take your time and taste as it evolves in the decanter/glass.

CT

cortot20

While I'm sad I waited, my wallet is happy with me.

CT

StarM

quality posts: 19 Private Messages StarM
skidd420 wrote:I had to bite on this. I am no connoisseur but I would love the try this wine for the price. Would you suggesting an aerator or a decanter?

I wouldn't even decant it. Stand it upright a day before you want to serve and pour very carefully into your glasses.

We had a 78 Clos du Val Reserve Cab last night. A bit funky on the opening nose, and had enough body and palate left for one glass. Second glass was beyond flat. If we had decanted and then poured, I'm not sure there would have been anything on the palate.

I'd love to see your review in CT.

"We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as of a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards, and which incorporates itself with the grapes, to be changed into wine; a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy." Benjamin Franklin

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi

damn Kings game, I sleep in and miss this deal, Hey winery help a cab lover out,.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
jmdavidson wrote:+1. Good deal for the west coasters. Out here, we snoozed, we...oh never mind.

tell me about it

shahnm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages shahnm

It's because of woots like this that I stay up until the new day's woots post. It's not usually worth it on the east coast, but sometimes...

cortot20

WD, you knew this was coming! What's next?

CT

cortot20

polarbear22 wrote:Just woke up here out East. Offers come up too late. Long gone. This was a short offer. Better for a woot-off I feel.

The unpredictability of the site was one of the fun parts! Recently it's been a bit more predictable but it's the out of left field offers like this that keep me checking every night.

CT

karenhynes

quality posts: 10 Private Messages karenhynes
cortot20 wrote:The unpredictability of the site was one of the fun parts! Recently it's been a bit more predictable but it's the out of left field offers like this that keep me checking every night.

Me too!

Wine is bottled poetry - Robert Louis Stevenson

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98

Hello...Hello... WD? You there?

rjquillin

klezman wrote:Yeah, seriously. I just checked, did a double-take, jaw hit the floor, came to take a closer look and saw it was gone. Sadness. Anybody want to share?

More vintages? Older? Maybe some 1980 or 1984, WD? Birth year wines are always a good thing.

Yet another bottle we can pull a cork on down here, should 'hear' ever happen.

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:WD, you knew this was coming! What's next?

Sundays are typically quiet.
Mother's Day Sunday, it would seem, now even more so.

Enjoy!

CT

ROGETRAY

quality posts: 155 Private Messages ROGETRAY

Staff

pseudogourmet98 wrote:
Hello...Hello... WD? You there?

NO SAD EMOTICONS!!!

We notified WD earlier this morning about the sellout.
They should be responding and possibly updating Wine soon.

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen
rjquillin wrote:Yet another bottle we can pull a cork on down here, should 'hear' ever happen.

By 'hear' I will assume you mean the RPM tour.

I've got this to share....

Probably a bit oxidized but we popped open a 1973 vintage of the same wine after the 2013 Scott Harvey wine dinner in Ohio and it was drinkable.

rjquillin

chipgreen wrote:By 'hear' I will assume you mean the RPM tour.
Probably a bit oxidized but we popped open a 1973 vintage of the same wine after the 2013 Scott Harvey wine dinner in Ohio and it was drinkable.

"here" being SoCal 3? in Lakeside.

CT

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

cortot20 wrote:WD, you knew this was coming! What's next?

new one is up. not much left of quaffmor. enjoy while it lasts.