MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark



cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of May 4.

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May

TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

June
TBD: NoVA #30: Theme TBD

Summer
est. August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: SoCal #35: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room


No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.




So join or create a WW Gathering!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:There. More 'e's just for youuuuuu.



Hey, I wasn't complaining ... just making sure that the blame was placed properly. I don't take credit for work not my own!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
zTimothyBz wrote:I've never posted asking people to "like" something... but here goes.

My friend Sheila has made a short film for the National Cancer Institute.

It's on using stories for improving health knowledge.

"Tamale Lesson" is about cervical cancer awareness.

Please watch and "like" this video (it's about 3 and a half minutes):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSgZEAiPZFA

Sheila says there is no money for getting the most likes, but the winner gets a plaque from the head of the National Institutes of Health.

(Expect to see this repeated in next week's pub...)



There ... made it a link.


And for good measure ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSgZEAiPZFA


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Hey, I wasn't complaining ... just making sure that the blame was placed properly. I don't take credit for work not my own!


I pondered the spelling when putting it back in (sorry, again). Good news is that you probably have a couple weeks before I pester you again. I like to do it when you least expect it.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:I pondered the spelling when putting it back in (sorry, again). Good news is that you probably have a couple weeks before I pester you again. I like to do it when you least expect it.

Good humored tasteful pestering is awesome.
Velveeeeeta is not.

Going on vacation?
You know we'll, well some of us, will miss you.

CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

This wine preserver will be a lightning deal in 5 and a half hours. If you care.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Good humored tasteful pestering is awesome.
Velveeeeeta is not.

Going on vacation?
You know we'll, well some of us, will miss you.


No. I just pace myself.



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

polarbear22


quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
bhodilee wrote:This wine preserver will be a lightning deal in 5 and a half hours. If you care.


My neighbor uses that one. He is real happy with it. I have no need for a wine preserver, as the bottle always seems to end up empty.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:I pondered the spelling when putting it back in (sorry, again). Good news is that you probably have a couple weeks before I pester you again. I like to do it when you least expect it.



Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:Good humored tasteful pestering is awesome.
Velveeeeeta is not.

Going on vacation?
You know we'll, well some of us, will miss you.



Which is why it's fine normally, when something is added. but when something is removed, that's a Court-Martial offense!!!


Edit: Mondays!!! I'm going back to bed until it's Tuesday!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Which is why it's fine normally. When something is added. but when something is removed, that's a Court-Martial offense!!!




How many more times must I apologize?



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:

How many more times must I apologize?



None ... but yell at RJ for continually bringing it up! The Horror! The Horror!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
MarkDaSpark wrote:Which is why it's fine normally, when something is added. but when something is removed, that's a Court-Martial offense!!!


Edit: Mondays!!! I'm going back to bed until it's Tuesday!



Get over it already.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
North316 wrote:Get over it already.



I've been over it ... but RJ keeps bringing it up!

Folks who inhabit amorphous Silicate solid material abodes shouldn't propel sedimentary, metamorphic, or igneous hard mineral aggregates.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:None ... but yell at RJ for continually bringing it up! The Horror! The Horror!

Giutly of sriirntg the pot, and I'm a trbirlee, so taht hlpes a lot.

CT

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Giutly of sriirntg the pot, and I'm a trbirlee, so taht hlpes a lot.


MarkDaSpark wrote:None ... but yell at RJ for continually bringing it up! The Horror! The Horror!





Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Well, I'm stuck in the basin, waiting on an auto repair, and I'm bored.
That, IMO, grants me the right to make trouble.
I want to pass it along, kinda like share the wealth, or redistribution, and "ticks" would only really me in additional trouble.

CT

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Hey, remember that time TT took out one of Sparky's emoticons and great vengeance and furious anger ensued (this is another way of saying, hilarity). Ahhhhhh, memories.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:Giutly of sriirntg the pot, and I'm a trbirlee, so taht hlpes a lot.



I can read it except for trbirlee ... are you sure you spelled it right?



Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
bhodilee wrote:Hey, remember that time TT took out one of Sparky's emoticons and great vengeance and furious anger ensued (this is another way of saying, hilarity). Ahhhhhh, memories.



The Horror!! The Horror!!

For bowtie


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:I can read it except for trbirlee ... are you sure you spelled it right?



Bad grammar, but I think it's terrible



Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee


quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ThunderThighs wrote:Bad grammar, but I think it's terrible



Oh, I know bad grammar is terrible.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

HitAnyKey42


quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
MarkDaSpark wrote:For bowtie



Ahhh...this brings back memories of the good ole days.....been awhile since I've seen this one.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
ThunderThighs wrote:Bad grammar, but I think it's terrible



Sshhhh!!!

Makes me wonder if RJ has a little Italian in him.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
HitAnyKey42 wrote:Ahhh...this brings back memories of the good ole days.....been awhile since I've seen this one.



I thought it was time to bring it back.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

bahwm


quality posts: 27 Private Messages bahwm

So as not to get yelled at for continuing to post in last's pub, here is the crosspost about our benefit dinner:

klezman wrote:Yum!
We should do something like that down here. Just need a reason.



From me:
Hmmmm. Wanna do a West Coast benefit dinner for Shakespeare in Delaware Park? Warning: you don't get any of the $$ to help defray the cost, but it can help reduce the wine cellar a little.

rjquillin wrote:Intriguing.
How would this work?


It really is a fun thing to do--even though it is a lot of work--cooking for 12 that is & getting wines to work well. We plated everything before it went out to the table. (Sorry, I didn't even take one picture this time. I was involved a lot more in the prep than usual.) RJ, are you asking how SoCal could send $$ to SDP? Or how to set up a dinner? Our office accepts checks and credit cards. I suppose people could put in bids and the top bidders would get the honor of attending the dinner. I'm sure this could work for any charity. Of course, SDP would be totally honored to be the recipient of such generosity and graciousness from across the country.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
bahwm wrote:So as not to get yelled at for continuing to post in last's pub, here is the crosspost about our benefit dinner:


It really is a fun thing to do--even though it is a lot of work--cooking for 12 that is & getting wines to work well. We plated everything before it went out to the table. (Sorry, I didn't even take one picture this time. I was involved a lot more in the prep than usual.) RJ, are you asking how SoCal could send $$ to SDP? Or how to set up a dinner? Our office accepts checks and credit cards. I suppose people could put in bids and the top bidders would get the honor of attending the dinner. I'm sure this could work for any charity. Of course, SDP would be totally honored to be the recipient of such generosity and graciousness from across the country.

Mostly how to get the two of you out here to do one

CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
MarkDaSpark wrote:Sshhhh!!!

Makes me wonder if RJ has a little Italian in him.
bhodilee wrote:Oh, I know bad grammar is terrible.

And what is with the grammar of the current sig?

CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
rjquillin wrote:And what is with the grammar of the current sig?



Apparently, the generator doesn't like certain punctuation.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

klezman


quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman
rjquillin wrote:Mostly how to get the two of you out here to do one



Now that's a stellar idea...I can even help cook!

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
klezman wrote:Now that's a stellar idea...I can even help cook!



We're trying to get people to come to the dinner, not avoid it!!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
klezman wrote:Now that's a stellar idea...I can even help cook!



Very good food + Very good wine + company that truly appreciates both?

I get this far too infrequently outside of SWMBO.

I look forward to a time where I have a house and can start parties like that.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
MarkDaSpark wrote:We're trying to get people to come to the dinner, not avoid it!!



What the heck are you doing up at this time of morning? At least I have the excuse of being at work!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark
cmaldoon wrote:What the heck are you doing up at this time of morning? At least I have the excuse of being at work!



The joys of owning your own business ... and being a night owl.


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom

OK, all you Ooma enthusiasts and other tech savants! I need some advice.

My quite elderly mom, who lives on her own, is being told by Verizon that they can no longer fix the copper lines to her apartment (in a low-rise apartment complex), and they intend to convert her to FIOS later this week. (I have complaints lodged with the various authorities, but I'm not confident I'll be getting significant results.)

Our reason for wanting to keep the POTS line is because it's kept us connected during various blackouts. My concern with a switch to FIOS is that the battery backup is only good for 8-10 hours. Thinking back to 2003, when we had a 2-3 day blackout, I don't think 8-10 hours will cut it. Generators, etc., are out of the question, of course.

So...Ooma. If the demise of the POTS line turns out to be inevitable, I'd just as soon get her an Ooma, backed by a UPS. (She currently has Internet through the cable co.) But I know nothing about these, having never been in the market for one. How expensive would it be to get her 8-10 hours of backup time? How do I go about figuring out what kind to get? Or is there another angle I'm missing? I come to you, my fellow wine-drinkers, for answers.

Important Edit: And let us say, TIA.

rjquillin


quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin
InFrom wrote:OK, all you Ooma enthusiasts and other tech savants! I need some advice.

My quite elderly mom, who lives on her own, is being told by Verizon that they can no longer fix the copper lines to her apartment (in a low-rise apartment complex), and they intend to convert her to FIOS later this week. (I have complaints lodged with the various authorities, but I'm not confident I'll be getting significant results.)

Our reason for wanting to keep the POTS line is because it's kept us connected during various blackouts. My concern with a switch to FIOS is that the battery backup is only good for 8-10 hours. Thinking back to 2003, when we had a 2-3 day blackout, I don't think 8-10 hours will cut it. Generators, etc., are out of the question, of course.

So...Ooma. If the demise of the POTS line turns out to be inevitable, I'd just as soon get her an Ooma, backed by a UPS. (She currently has Internet through the cable co.) But I know nothing about these, having never been in the market for one. How expensive would it be to get her 8-10 hours of backup time? How do I go about figuring out what kind to get? Or is there another angle I'm missing? I come to you, my fellow wine-drinkers, for answers.

Important Edit: And let us say, TIA.

I just recently, and reluctantly (due to increasing costs) migrated from POTS to U-verse for my 'land line'. I've had Ooma over cox for years as a second line, but it too is now on U-verse. So much for insuring no single point failure now.

Ooma has been fine, except for;
latency.
The packet transit delays, at times, drive me and those I talk with nuts. This doesn't seem to be an Ooma problem, but rather that of the isp and your contracted bandwidth. But it seems while you can have plenty of bandwidth, you can still have latency. Non-benchmarked results seem to suggest U-verse of similarly provisioned bandwidth a bit more prone to this problem than I noticed with cox.
Purely anecdotal. No hard data to support my belief.

I like the Ooma services and overall have had no, or minimal, issues with them.

The Ooma box itself is a very low power device. You could procure a small computer battery back-up UPS and easily power it. My unit uses two 12V batteries that are also charged via two 25W solar cells should utility power fail. Both the gateway router (cable modem if not U-verse), my wireless router, hub and the Ooma are on the UPS and I have easily gone overnight.

CT

cortot20


quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20

New unofficial SoCal gathering added to gatherings tab. Check it out!

CT

InFrom


quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
rjquillin wrote:I just recently, and reluctantly (due to increasing costs) migrated from POTS to U-verse for my 'land line'. I've had Ooma over cox for years as a second line, but it too is now on U-verse. So much for insuring no single point failure now.

Ooma has been fine, except for;
latency.
The packet transit delays, at times, drive me and those I talk with nuts. This doesn't seem to be an Ooma problem, but rather that of the isp and your contracted bandwidth. But it seems while you can have plenty of bandwidth, you can still have latency. Non-benchmarked results seem to suggest U-verse of similarly provisioned bandwidth a bit more prone to this problem than I noticed with cox.
Purely anecdotal. No hard data to support my belief.

I like the Ooma services and overall have had no, or minimal, issues with them.

The Ooma box itself is a very low power device. You could procure a small computer battery back-up UPS and easily power it. My unit uses two 12V batteries that are also charged via two 25W solar cells should utility power fail. Both the gateway router (cable modem if not U-verse), my wireless router, hub and the Ooma are on the UPS and I have easily gone overnight.

Thanks for the comments. It sounds like the Ooma isn't a bad idea for her. Though it doesn't sound like it will work for her three old, wall-mounted POTS phones? She has a decent digital phone as well, but there's something comforting about a sturdy, old kitchen wall phone. (There's also one in the bathroom that's good for emergencies, and has no problem dealing with humidity.) I know she'd hate to see them go.

I need to get a handle on the power back-up business. A solar trickle is a non-starter.

I fear my lack of tech knowledge here is impeding my decision-making...

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
InFrom wrote:Thanks for the comments. It sounds like the Ooma isn't a bad idea for her. Though it doesn't sound like it will work for her three old, wall-mounted POTS phones? She has a decent digital phone as well, but there's something comforting about a sturdy, old kitchen wall phone. (There's also one in the bathroom that's good for emergencies, and has no problem dealing with humidity.) I know she'd hate to see them go.

I need to get a handle on the power back-up business. A solar trickle is a non-starter.

I fear my lack of tech knowledge here is impeding my decision-making...



If Bowtie can figure it out....

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013