MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 178 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away, folks!

Quality Posts

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of April 20.

Chocolate bunnies and sparkling wine! Delicious combo!

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
May
5/3: SoCal #33: Grenache/Grenache Blanc for Cinco de Mayo
TBD: NYC #21: A Syrah Grows in Brooklyn

Summer
est. August 4-6: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: SoCal #35: San Diego/Lakeside
TBD: Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Otolith!!

Happy Birthday to Otolith!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

chipgreen

quality posts: 184 Private Messages chipgreen

Happy Birthday, Doc!

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Happy Birthday Doc!

And a belated Happy Bday to Bahwm!

Also, anyone friends with IB on Facebook? I don't know if he checks everyday anymore, but this offer would really appeal to him. So you should message him!

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

Thanks, all!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
JOATMON wrote:Man, that has to suck. Was this the orange Prius C?

No, it was her 2008 Yaris. Pepper, the Habenero Prius, is still ok.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON
JOATMON wrote:I root for two teams:

1) The Sharks (apex predator)
2) Any team playing the Kings.

Currently that's the same team, so bonus.

More than 100 hits in a game? That's Hockey!

MarkDaSpark wrote:Funny, mine is the opposite ...

1) The Kings (apex royalty)
2) Any team playing the Sharks (hasn't changed in over a million years ... stagnant).

OK, so what happened last night? Nobody scored more than 5 goals in a game against the Kings during the season, and all of a sudden the Sharks score 6 and 7? That's just painful.

Next two games on the King's home ice, which the Sharks haven't won at in over two years. Tuesday should be interesting.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
JOATMON wrote:OK, so what happened last night? Nobody scored more than 5 goals in a game against the Kings during the season, and all of a sudden the Sharks score 6 and 7? That's just painful.

Next two games on the King's home ice, which the Sharks haven't won at in over two years. Tuesday should be interesting.

Kings looked really good for the 1st period.
J. Quick wasn't on his a game and the kings defense was just horrible after falling behind in the 2nd. Goals 4,5,6,7 were a joke. I shouldn't have even watched the 3rd period.

Hopefully they come back a much more solid team at home. Everyone predicted this would be the best series of the bunch but so far the kings look lost.

CT

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:OK, so what happened last night? Nobody scored more than 5 goals in a game against the Kings during the season, and all of a sudden the Sharks score 6 and 7? That's just painful.

rjquillin

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rjquillin

Anyone familiar with or used a "Freedom Stick" from Freedom Pop?
Yugster is selling them for $11.
supposed to give you 500MB data/month @ 4G speed for free.
Not much is really ~free~, so what's the catch?

CT

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
rjquillin wrote:Anyone familiar with or used a "Freedom Stick" from Freedom Pop?

Well, it is actually free -- in fact, it's not hard to bump it up to 1GB/month by adding so-called "freedom friends". (You might consider using a throwaway email address to register with the Freedompop site and garner your new "friends". There's a networking thread on SlickDeals wherein people offer up their email addresses for this purpose.)

I've been using a device of theirs I got on Woot last year -- it snaps onto my 4th Gen iPod Touch and acts as a hotspot for it and up to 7 other devices.

The catch, such as it is, is that the coverage map is limited, and the Clear Wimax service that my device (and presumably the device on offer today) works on is slated to be discontinued sometime next year.

That said -- we went to Philly, where coverage is strong, for a long weekend. Plugged the thing in once we got to the hotel, and had free WiFi the whole weekend for the Touch, a phone, and a tablet. Very handy to have.

I'd suggest reading comments from previous Freedompop offerings here on Woot. I'm sure they're more technically accurate than I could hope to be. But assuming the Wimax reaches the areas where you'd find it useful -- for $11, what have you got to lose?

Edit: ah, I see this is a USB device and it says it's dedicated to one device at a time.

klezman

quality posts: 120 Private Messages klezman

Happy birthday Doc Ot!

I should watch some playoffs...Kings/Sharks and Habs. That ought to do it.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cortot20

quality posts: 136 Private Messages cortot20
klezman wrote:Happy birthday Doc Ot!

I should watch some playoffs...Kings/Sharks and Habs. That ought to do it.

For some awesome hockey check out the Colorado/Minnesota series. Some of the best young players I have ever seen.

CT

rjquillin

InFrom wrote:Well, it is actually free -- in fact, it's not hard to bump it up to 1GB/month by adding so-called "freedom friends". (You might consider using a throwaway email address to register with the Freedompop site and garner your new "friends". There's a networking thread on SlickDeals wherein people offer up their email addresses for this purpose.)

I've been using a device of theirs I got on Woot last year -- it snaps onto my 4th Gen iPod Touch and acts as a hotspot for it and up to 7 other devices.

The catch, such as it is, is that the coverage map is limited, and the Clear Wimax service that my device (and presumably the device on offer today) works on is slated to be discontinued sometime next year.

That said -- we went to Philly, where coverage is strong, for a long weekend. Plugged the thing in once we got to the hotel, and had free WiFi the whole weekend for the Touch, a phone, and a tablet. Very handy to have.

I'd suggest reading comments from previous Freedompop offerings here on Woot. I'm sure they're more technically accurate than I could hope to be. But assuming the Wimax reaches the areas where you'd find it useful -- for $11, what have you got to lose?

Edit: ah, I see this is a USB device and it says it's dedicated to one device at a time.

thanks.
Just looked at some coverage maps;
there are entire states with zero coverage!
Looks like this could be useful if you end up in a metro area somewhere where your accommodations don't include Wifi access.
My use would likely include Napa, Sonoma and other growing areas. Looking pretty bleak there, even for $11.

CT

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
rjquillin wrote:thanks.
Just looked at some coverage maps;
there are entire states with zero coverage!
Looks like this could be useful if you end up in a metro area somewhere where your accommodations don't include Wifi access.
My use would likely include Napa, Sonoma and other growing areas. Looking pretty bleak there, even for $11.

Yeah, much of New England, where I seem to spend a lot of vacation time, is quite bare. Here in NYC coverage is pretty good, but I don't really need to use it all that often. It's handy at times, for sure.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
rjquillin wrote:Anyone familiar with or used a "Freedom Stick" from Freedom Pop?

Seems I was beaten to it, but slickdeals has a ton of info on the deal threads for Freedom Pop.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:

Edzachary!!

By the way, you might want to mention to WootBot that it would help if they actually put the Wine Poll up on the page, and not just a thread.

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk

been out of the loop for a while, driving from Denver to LA (and back) for Passover.

Happy Birthday DocO!

Also, Bowtie, did you see this?!?!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 554 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Edzachary!!

By the way, you might want to mention to WootBot that it would help if they actually put the Wine Poll up on the page, and not just a thread.

Thanks for the call out. I'll mention it to the team.

Customer Service: support@woot.com ••• Allow 1-2 business days for response.
••• ► Woot's Return Policy
◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:been out of the loop for a while, driving from Denver to LA (and back) for Passover.

Happy Birthday DocO!

Also, Bowtie, did you see this?!?!

I did see that. I remember when that thing first came out and Cesare got me to eat one. I never ate another one.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

joelsisk

quality posts: 7 Private Messages joelsisk
bhodilee wrote:I did see that. I remember when that thing first came out and Cesare got me to eat one. I never ate another one.

at least you finished the first one...

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
bhodilee wrote:Happy Birthday Doc!

And a belated Happy Bday to Bahwm!

Also, anyone friends with IB on Facebook? I don't know if he checks everyday anymore, but this offer would really appeal to him. So you should message him!

Thanks, Bowtie! I'm messaging IB.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

quality posts: 26 Private Messages bahwm
bahwm wrote:Thanks, Bowtie! I'm messaging IB.

Success!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

tiger7610

quality posts: 17 Private Messages tiger7610

I know this was mentioned before last year, but I'm too lazy to dig up threads, but for people who ended up getting a smoker what model/brand did you end up with, and are you happy with the decision? I'm debating about getting on, not looking for a high end model, it would mostly be used for me and my housemates, and I'm also on grad student salary so cannot go all out. I'm leaning toward charcoal/wood one since I dont think we have an easy accessible outlet out back.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
tiger7610 wrote:I know this was mentioned before last year, but I'm too lazy to dig up threads, but for people who ended up getting a smoker what model/brand did you end up with, and are you happy with the decision? I'm debating about getting on, not looking for a high end model, it would mostly be used for me and my housemates, and I'm also on grad student salary so cannot go all out. I'm leaning toward charcoal/wood one since I dont think we have an easy accessible outlet out back.

The one I got, similar to Bowtie and Doc O, is an electric. MasterBuilt. About $200 on Amazon, give or take $20 based on deals.

For Charcoal, my friend has a Big Green Egg (or similar name) and really likes it.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Thanks for the call out. I'll mention it to the team.

What? No ██████ POST?

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

Happy birthday, Doc.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

Thanks again, all, for the birthday wishes! I opened a '03 Corison Cab tonight.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

harmonious3

quality posts: 2 Private Messages harmonious3
bhodilee wrote:I did see that. I remember when that thing first came out and Cesare got me to eat one. I never ate another one.

pseudogourmet98

quality posts: 16 Private Messages pseudogourmet98
harmonious3 wrote:

And just in time for prom season it appears that meat is also the new flower!

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to our very own Sole Absolute Triple Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme, Cesare!!

Happy Birthday to Cesare!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

MarkDaSpark

Oh, and Happy Freaking Earth Day, to all of the enviro-mentals out there.

Cesare

quality posts: 1585 Private Messages Cesare

Thanks Sparky!
Happy Earth Day!

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

rjquillin

HB Cesare,
Pull a cork on a good one today.

CT

otolith

Happy Birthday, Cesare!

--John Muir

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
chipgreen wrote:Happy Birthday, Doc!

2nd'ed!

And Cesare too!

bhodilee

polarbear22 wrote:The one I got, similar to Bowtie and Doc O, is an electric. MasterBuilt. About $200 on Amazon, give or take $20 based on deals.

For Charcoal, my friend has a Big Green Egg (or similar name) and really likes it.

Eggs are like 800 bucks or better (but I soooooooo want one). Mother has a Charbroil one I think? Kingmann maybe, hell I don't know. I'll let him chime in. All that really matters is that you can maintain an even temp.

bhodilee

pseudogourmet98 wrote:And just in time for prom season it appears that meat is also the new flower!

Meat Flower sounds like the worlds worst euphemism.