nealkb

quality posts: 13 Private Messages nealkb

Looks like Wellington and VJB winery will be merging.

Neal K Bharadwaj

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 234 Private Messages SonomaBouliste

Thanks for posting this, Neal.
I am no longer a farmer, but all other operations will continue. We still have some of the 2012 vintage and all of the 2013 vintage to bottle, and lots of wine to sell. We will maintain the tasting room for at least two years and will continue to have a presence on w00t.

Cheers,
Peter

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
SonomaBouliste wrote:Thanks for posting this, Neal.
I am no longer a farmer, but all other operations will continue. We still have some of the 2012 vintage and all of the 2013 vintage to bottle, and lots of wine to sell. We will maintain the tasting room for at least two years and will continue to have a presence on w00t.

Cheers,
Peter

This is in ways both exciting and dissappointing all at once.

It may be too soon to ask, but do you have any idea what you'd like to do next? Are you planning to retire from winemaking? Finding another Winery? Founding another?

I'm glad you'll still be around and look forward to enjoying your wines for years to come!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Cheers,
Peter

Wow, I'm kind of shocked. is there any other info. You can give us?

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
cmaldoon wrote:This is in ways both exciting and dissappointing all at once.

Yeah, definitely a sad time for us. Especially when it comes time for future RPM tours (wonder if this year's will be making a stop there) since going to Wellington Vineyards was always a MUST for the tour...and pretty much a must for any visit anyone makes out that way.
But good for Peter, being able to make his way into retirement. That long-awaited time we all look forward to...when we can just sit back and drink our wine in peace....without concern of having to wake up the next morning for work.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz

Looks like I will need to stock up on all upcoming Wellington offers
on woot! How about offering a "thank you wooters" mixed case of Duchess and the Duke? Just a suggestion

"The older I get the better I was"

SonomaBouliste

cmaldoon wrote:This is in ways both exciting and dissappointing all at once.

It may be too soon to ask, but do you have any idea what you'd like to do next? Are you planning to retire from winemaking? Finding another Winery? Founding another?

I'm glad you'll still be around and look forward to enjoying your wines for years to come!

Thank you,

I'll be finishing, bottling and selling wine for some time yet. After that, I've got a few books to read, maybe one or two to write, and a few corners of the world I haven't visited yet.

One winery per lifetime is enough.

SonomaBouliste

cortot20 wrote:Wow, I'm kind of shocked. is there any other info. You can give us?

I did make some comments on the "green wine" forum. Happy to answer any questions here as well.

SonomaBouliste

HitAnyKey42 wrote:Yeah, definitely a sad time for us. Especially when it comes time for future RPM tours (wonder if this year's will be making a stop there) since going to Wellington Vineyards was always a MUST for the tour...and pretty much a must for any visit anyone makes out that way.
But good for Peter, being able to make his way into retirement. That long-awaited time we all look forward to...when we can just sit back and drink our wine in peace....without concern of having to wake up the next morning for work.

I'm open to hosting the tour if the organizers want that.
BTW: I do prefer to wake up the next morning.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj

Congratulations, Peter - I look forward to that "book or two" you're thinking of writing. A few more great woot deals would be wonderful, and I hope you stick around the boards here and contribute from the huge store of knowledge you have so that dullards like me can maybe learn a thing or two.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

SonomaBouliste

coynedj wrote:Congratulations, Peter - I look forward to that "book or two" you're thinking of writing. A few more great woot deals would be wonderful, and I hope you stick around the boards here and contribute from the huge store of knowledge you have so that dullards like me can maybe learn a thing or two.

In my experience there are very few dullards around these parts. It's more like intelligent, well educated folks who are relatively new to wine.

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
SonomaBouliste wrote:In my experience there are very few dullards around these parts. It's more like intelligent, well educated folks who are relatively new to wine.

In coyne's case, he's a dullard.

(edit: had to look up dullard. hehe)

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

joelsisk

quality posts: 8 Private Messages joelsisk
SonomaBouliste wrote:In my experience there are very few dullards around these parts. It's more like intelligent, well educated folks who are relatively new to wine.

Just don't go over to juvie woot...

And congrats on the sale/semi-retirement!

CAGrl

quality posts: 13 Private Messages CAGrl

Gonna make a visit out there soon and hope to see you.

coynedj

quality posts: 7 Private Messages coynedj
otolith wrote:In coyne's case, he's a dullard.

(edit: had to look up dullard. hehe)

I was wondering who would step up and slam that one home. It being as obvious as it was, I should have figured it would be you.

I started out on Burgundy but soon hit the harder stuff. Bob Dylan, Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues

How on earth did I get 7 QPs?

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

Wow, Peter! What a surprise for us! Congratulations on your retirement! That really is exciting for you! I hope that you have a wonderful retirement and get to do all that you want to do. I hope that you will continue around the boards here on woot. I have this feeling that you may still wind up dabbling in winemaking here and there.

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm
bahwm wrote:Wow, Peter! What a surprise for us! Congratulations on your retirement! That really is exciting for you! I hope that you have a wonderful retirement and get to do all that you want to do. I hope that you will continue around the boards here on woot. I have this feeling that you may still wind up dabbling in winemaking here and there.

Ooops! I meant to edit something and instead replied to myself! Long day at school!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

losthighwayz

losthighwayz wrote:Looks like I will need to stock up on all upcoming Wellington offers
on woot! How about offering a "thank you wooters" mixed case of Duchess and the Duke? Just a suggestion

Ignoring my post, peter?

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
losthighwayz wrote:Ignoring my post, peter?

As CB would say; "Good Grief" lost, call Toby and order a split case. I grabbed one of each when I was up there for D&D. Great to drink, great to gift. the recipient has no idea what you paid for such a great QPR bottle.

CT

losthighwayz

rjquillin wrote:As CB would say; "Good Grief" lost, call Toby and order a split case. I grabbed one of each when I was up there for D&D. Great to drink, great to gift. the recipient has no idea what you paid for such a great QPR bottle.

I would except that the ridiculous shipping cost pretty much nullifies the QPR

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
losthighwayz wrote:I would except that the ridiculous shipping cost pretty much nullifies the QPR

PM

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
SonomaBouliste wrote:Thank you,

I'll be finishing, bottling and selling wine for some time yet. After that, I've got a few books to read, maybe one or two to write, and a few corners of the world I haven't visited yet.

One winery per lifetime is enough.

Peter, you did wonderful work and you taught me a significant amount about wine, something that I will always be grateful for.

Cheers to your retirement, enjoy your books (as we all should), and if you need an editor or reader for your own, PM me.

I'll make sure to grab some of your next woot offer. And likely the next. Good wine from a good guy that'll be some of the last is well worth a buy.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Winedavid39

quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

Cheers,
Peter

and we like the VJB guys. Don't go thinking peter is going anywhere anytime soon.

I won't have it.

WD

javadrinker

quality posts: 4 Private Messages javadrinker

That being said I'm still going to wait for the Cliff Notes version of the book...or maybe the graphic novel.

Good luck in your next great adventure Peter!

And the path to drunken poverty continues... Java's Stash at CT

• Wine.woots: um, lost count.
  • Other woots: um, lost count too. I might have a problem.

merbill

quality posts: 29 Private Messages merbill
kylemittskus wrote:Peter, you did wonderful work and you taught me a significant amount about wine, something that I will always be grateful for.

Cheers to your retirement, enjoy your books (as we all should), and if you need an editor or reader for your own, PM me.

I'll make sure to grab some of your next woot offer. And likely the next. Good wine from a good guy that'll be some of the last is well worth a buy.

+1

Except the editor part - I majored in Business, not Lit.

Have a great, busy, active, and involved post-winery life. We'll see you around.

3X Wine Wooters FFL Champion, Commissioner, and Monkey Prize recipient
RPM Tours #2 & #4 Tourista
Wine Century Club Member #919

SonomaBouliste

losthighwayz wrote:Ignoring my post, peter?

Yes, I am pretending I didn't read it.

canonizer

quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
SonomaBouliste wrote:Yes, I am pretending I didn't read it.

Mazel tov, Peter. I'm not too active here anymore but yours is a voice I always enjoyed reading. Thanks for the wines that I've always enjoyed drinking. Had a 2012 Duchess last night with Indian food and all was right with the world.

signed.

McMalbec

quality posts: 8 Private Messages McMalbec
cmaldoon wrote:This is in ways both exciting and dissappointing all at once.....

Well said. It is nice to have an exit strategy. Congrats! Will look forward to the 2012 and '13 wines!

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

Congrats Peter! Although sad to hear at the same time. I've enjoyed and continue to enjoy drinking you wine.

boatman72

quality posts: 13 Private Messages boatman72

Cheers,
Peter

No say this isn't true!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Peter, I always went nuts when a Wellington order came up on Woot. I've got over a 120 Bottles of your wine in my basement and it looks like I go on a rationing program. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
boatman72 wrote:No say this isn't true!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. Peter, I always went nuts when a Wellington order came up on Woot. I've got over a 120 Bottles of your wine in my basement and it looks like I go on a rationing program. Waaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!

If you have 120 bottles, as I figure it you've already been on a rationing program. Now drink one a month and buy 3 of all future Wellington offers and you'll be good for probably 20 years

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

boatman72

Peter, I forgot to mention that we all wish you the greatest next journey and we thank you for making some really great wine. Be sure to get the word out when you publish your books. I learned a lot from your posts. I am also getting close to retirement and it's a great feeling. I'm really looking forward to beginning another journey. I can retire this August and I'm getting antsy, especially when my boss wants me to stay until April 2015!!! That might not happen if I have to drive from OH to CA to bring back a trailer full of Wellington wine!!! I sure hope I don't miss your offers because I'm thinking of a woot hiatus and just lurking because FedEx shipping has really gotten ragged lately.

boatman72

cmaldoon wrote:If you have 120 bottles, as I figure it you've already been on a rationing program. Now drink one a month and buy 3 of all future Wellington offers and you'll be good for probably 20 years

LOL...I only bring out the Wellington when I have something important to celebrate! If this artic weather disappears, I'll have something to celebrate. And again when the patio finally gets put in!!! I am hoping you are right on the 20 years...I'm retiring soon and I've been acting like a squirrel. collecting nuts!!!

aces219

quality posts: 5 Private Messages aces219

Just saw this...congratulations, Peter. I hope there is a tour this summer so we can make one last visit. Such fond memories!

SonomaBouliste

aces219 wrote:Just saw this...congratulations, Peter. I hope there is a tour this summer so we can make one last visit. Such fond memories!

Thank you, my dear Aces. I'll be around for another two or three years.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
SonomaBouliste wrote:Thank you, my dear Aces. I'll be around for another two or three years.

I, too, have just seen this thread. I don't know what to say, other than I hope you keep your hand in making wine and gracing us with your knowledge, wit and charm.

There will [almost certainly] be a Tour this August, and we hope you will feature prominently!

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

time2testit

quality posts: 14 Private Messages time2testit

I don't review these threads as much as I should I guess. Just seeing this surprising news now.

First, adding our congratulations to Peter on the sale and semi-retirement.

Second, just sad to read of this from a purely personal position. It was a few years ago that we made our first (and so far only) trip to Napa/Sonoma over the holiday time. We were somewhat new to Wine Woot (pre-Amazon) and fellow Wooters told us not to miss a visit to Wellington to meet Peter. The day we were supposed to meet with him his father took a turn for the worse and he understandably couldn't be there to meet with us. Nevertheless, Peter still took the time to make sure his staff gave us the red carpet treatment, including my first ever "barrel tasting." It was a very special (and tasty) experience.

Thanks for everything Peter and we'll keep an eye out for whatever new/limited wine we might see from you now. (Haven't had the Duchess or Duke though...must have missed those here.)

SonomaBouliste

rpm wrote:I, too, have just seen this thread. I don't know what to say, other than I hope you keep your hand in making wine and gracing us with your knowledge, wit and charm.

There will [almost certainly] be a Tour this August, and we hope you will feature prominently!

I'll be here for the next couple of years, and I'd love to be involved with this years magical history tour.

rpm

quality posts: 170 Private Messages rpm
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'll be here for the next couple of years, and I'd love to be involved with this years magical history tour.

woopdedo and I will be in touch....

Wine-tasting in 8 words:
Pull lots of corks!
Remember what you taste!

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
SonomaBouliste wrote:I'll be here for the next couple of years, and I'd love to be involved with this years magical history tour.

PM for you.

CT