WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Poll: What is most important to you when you buy wine?
  • 10.2% - The color 217
  • 31.9% - The price 681
  • 3.2% - The proof 68
  • 3.6% - The age 77
  • 29.4% - The varietal 627
  • 5.8% - The packaging 123
  • 15.9% - Something else 339
2132 votes

Well, how do you fare compared to the Zeitgeist? Chat up your fellow wooters and let us know how lame this poll was or what obvious choices we missed. For example: Was this poll a) STUPID, b) DUMB, c) POINTLESS or d) ALL OF THE ABOVE?

Lenkeit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lenkeit

The most important thing to me (and to my hubs) when buying wine is the TASTE of the wine.

We can cellar 545 bottles here at home. This means we must quickly consume the other 436 bottles on hand...

ardubu

quality posts: 8 Private Messages ardubu

The paper bag.
Plastic bags don't cut it!

Ah, the hell with it.

thumperchick

quality posts: 253 Private Messages thumperchick

I'd go with taste over everything listed here.

BobInFla

quality posts: 0 Private Messages BobInFla

The occasion? Sheesh you gotta match the wine with the occasion or else none of that other stuff matters.

Roxenka

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Roxenka

You can't know what it tastes like until AFTER you've bought it!

alohawoot1

quality posts: 0 Private Messages alohawoot1

the box

kmf600

quality posts: 3 Private Messages kmf600

Most important thing to me is that its name is Jim Beam

dann

quality posts: 0 Private Messages dann
Roxenka wrote:You can't know what it tastes like until AFTER you've bought it!

I have NEVER purchased a bottle of wine without tasting it first. That is what wine tastings are for!

kacivic

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kacivic

My wife and I like to try new wines and are rarely disappointed. Guess we're just not picky. However, our method for choosing which to try is based solely on how interesting the label and/or name is.

MsChis

quality posts: 0 Private Messages MsChis

How 'bout the flavor?

SonomaBouliste

quality posts: 240 Private Messages SonomaBouliste
Lenkeit wrote:The most important thing to me (and to my hubs) when buying wine is the TASTE of the wine.

What she said.

hoomgar

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hoomgar

The taste! Duh!!!!!!! Come on woot!!! Consider yourself slapped upside the head!

nicepairofwooters

quality posts: 4 Private Messages nicepairofwooters

My family had a winery, which we sold to a "big name" wine producer who still produces wine under our former label, and I ran the tasting room for a couple of years. I have to add that A LOT of people buy the wines with the most awards or highest Wine Spectator rating.

hcsencsi

quality posts: 14 Private Messages hcsencsi
alohawoot1 wrote:the box

The SIZE of the box.

Booger Face

kmagt

quality posts: 0 Private Messages kmagt

Taste when it's available for tasting. They get pissed at Safeway every time I pull out my corkscrew. Varietal, producer and appellation helps the most for me

pkrzycki

quality posts: 2 Private Messages pkrzycki

The taste...

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

I'll take this one further. I find the P/T ratio the most important. Price to Taste. I love the taste of Beringer Private Reserve but at a retail of $150/bottle it just isn't worth it to me. I'd much rather have Wellington's Victory at $40/bottle.

One needs to put a floor on taste.... Jug wine may be cheap enough to make it a good value but I won't bet on any of it tasting good enough to qualify as even Tuesday night wine.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

Lenkeit

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Lenkeit
Roxenka wrote:You can't know what it tastes like until AFTER you've bought it!

Yeah, well, we don't buy wine in the grocery store.

We can cellar 545 bottles here at home. This means we must quickly consume the other 436 bottles on hand...

halsanders

quality posts: 0 Private Messages halsanders

Why wasn't taste on the list?

randysanders

quality posts: 5 Private Messages randysanders

Inferred QPR.

nlevake

quality posts: 8 Private Messages nlevake

Taste. Decent review on Vivino if I haven't purchased it before. I buy about 80% repeat, 20% new.

lavozdealma

quality posts: 0 Private Messages lavozdealma

Yumminess

hosesplus

quality posts: 0 Private Messages hosesplus

$9.99 is the most I will spend on a bottle of wine. If it hits $10 it's overpriced. You can find great wines for less than $10.

FIGHTING CRIME AND INDIFFERENCE SINCE 8:32 THIS MORNING

BuffBillsFan

quality posts: 8 Private Messages BuffBillsFan

The suggestion by the guys who run the wine and beer shop I get my craft beer from. Seems like they know their wine, and I know they know their beer, so I'll let them play Landru for me.

PocketBrain

quality posts: 47 Private Messages PocketBrain

Taste.

TheCheeta

quality posts: 1 Private Messages TheCheeta

Yyyeeaaaah... gonna go with taste on this one. It's pretty rare that we buy wine any more without having tasted it either at a tasting or at a restaurant or someone's house. We may buy a bottle upon a recommendation from a trusted source, usually one of our fellow wine snob framily.

Phoulmouth

quality posts: 1 Private Messages Phoulmouth

Whats important to me when I buy wine is wondering Where's The Hoop? is wrong with me.

discodivatracey

quality posts: 0 Private Messages discodivatracey

Ingredients: I need to find wine without sulfites as I am allergic

cmaldoon

hosesplus wrote:$9.99 is the most I will spend on a bottle of wine. If it hits $10 it's overpriced. You can find great wines for less than $10.

You and I must disagree on the definition of "great"

My Cellar

rjquillin

quality posts: 189 Private Messages rjquillin
discodivatracey wrote:Ingredients: I need to find wine without sulfites as I am allergic

Clark in his book "postmodern..." iirc, suggests it's likely something else, as the sulfites are quite low.
I'll see if I can find, and post, the reference.

CT

manhandsha

quality posts: 41 Private Messages manhandsha

Staff

If I'm buying wine at a winery, I'm buying based on having tasted it. If I'm in the store, I buy based on how intrigued I am by the label art. In a decade of 'label shopping', I've ended up with ONE bottle that I didn't like.

Have a question about your order or account? Click here to contact Woot Member Services.

ombasha

quality posts: 0 Private Messages ombasha

Is Wine Woot too good to have a daily survey, or just too lazy?

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester

Taste. Why the hell would you buy wine if you don't like the taste. Unless you are a snooty patooty.

myfester

quality posts: 4 Private Messages myfester
cmaldoon wrote:You and I must disagree on the definition of "great"

I have found some really good wines under $10. I've tasted $30 wines and I can't taste enough of a difference to justify spending a lot of extra money.

gingertalls

quality posts: 0 Private Messages gingertalls

the alcohol content.

cmaldoon

myfester wrote:I have found some really good wines under $10. I've tasted $30 wines and I can't taste enough of a difference to justify spending a lot of extra money.

There are some decent sub $10 wines, yes. But I am not one to drink the same wine day after day. There are alot of cruddy sub $10 wines too. More than good ones. I'd rather get a $25 bottle that I tasted at a winery and know I like than play roulette with the $5-$10 supermarket bottles.

My Cellar

maxikyd

quality posts: 6 Private Messages maxikyd

The taste!

daveinwarshington

quality posts: 31 Private Messages daveinwarshington
manhandsha wrote:If I'm buying wine at a winery, I'm buying based on having tasted it. If I'm in the store, I buy based on how intrigued I am by the label art. In a decade of 'label shopping', I've ended up with ONE bottle that I didn't like.

The problem with 'wine tastings' is that they all start to taste really good, after a while.
One exception: We went to a winery on Hood Canal a few weeks ago, the rude person snarled every time we talked.
Every other winery we've been to has been fun!
ps.. Also go to microbreweries!!

cmaldoon

daveinwarshington wrote:The problem with 'wine tastings' is that they all start to taste really good, after a while.

Swish and spit.... It really helps keep you from palate fatigue much longer.

Secondly, nobody says you have to finish each pour. I regularly dump half of my pours, even when not spitting. Why waste your palate on so-so wines at a tasting room?

My Cellar