2009 Eastern Approach Red Wine, Walla Walla Valley
2010 Eastern Approach Red Wine, Columbia Valley
2009 West Fork Red Wine, Walla Walla Valley
2010 West Fork Red Wine, Walla Walla Valley

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

trifecta

quality posts: 72 Private Messages trifecta

Recently I was visiting a couple friends, when out of nowhere a truckload full of monkeys drove by making noise and throwing things at us. Instead of standing there and taking it, we charged them and being the cowards they were they ran away. We then realized they had a case of wine in the back of the truck, which we proceeded to plunder. There were a couple of fancy looking FYEL-LAY-NUH bottles mixed in, which we nearly drank right on the spot…

2009 Fjellene West Fork
63% Cab; 25% Merlot; 12% Cab Franc. Alc % 14.3
PnP. Deeep red/plum in the glass. Good clarity. Aromas of cherry, plum and a hint of leather are easily persuaded out of the glass. Touch of heat on the palate initially. Generous acidity, but keeps a layered silky mouthfeel. Hard to pick up discreet fruit notes, but there is juicy dark red and hi toned blue fruit. No noticable oak until the finish, where it mingles with sweet chewy blueberry tannin.
After 30 mintues front palate has smoothed out and the heat is gone. There is a very subtle hint of creamy vanilla on the mid palate which is quite enjoyable. Went well with food, but enjoyed it better by itself. After about 90 minutes, the nose is evolving and I'm getting more spice and earth on the finish. I suspect this is the cab franc showing its face. Recommend 2 hour+ decant which yields well balanced fruit, good acid/tannin balance, nice nose, and a silky spicy medium + length finish. Quite enjoyable.

2009 Fjellene Eastern Approach
Opened and poured a half glass to shoulder the bottle. Recorked for 4 hours. First taste showed good acid and a nice medium length finish. Red cherry and mild to medium tannin grip on the finish. Even after 4 hours, it was necessary to coax the aroma out of the glass by swirling. Picking up red fruit and a hint of baking spice. The mouthfeel is soft and velvety with the end of the first glass starting to show some chalky cocoa. Recorked for day 2.
Day 2 – Nose is still pretty mild. Aroma has turned to a darker blackberry like fruit and getting a more brambly spice. The wine still has good balance. The chalky cocoa action is way stronger today, ranging from the mid palate all the way through the finish, which is also showing some bramble now. Final glass there is a nice clean entry on the front palate. Tannin is picking up, still smooth and chalky but now starting to have a chewy blueberry component. Starting to notice a slight tobacco undertone.

Both of these wines showed a lot of complexity and I am really surprised at the price point here. I had circled anywhere between $20 and $25 for solid qpr.

dalematthew

quality posts: 22 Private Messages dalematthew

Well - what is this the monkey has left me? An interesting wine with an interesting name. A Cab Franc / Merlot blend - but I'll get to that in a minute.

First though - the name - luckily there is some assistance on the back of the bottle that tells me we should be calling this "Fyel-LAY-Nuh". Off to a good start.

Next let's see what this bottle of 2010 Eastern Approach Red Wine is all about.

Color is an interesting dark violet and has great clarity.

On PnP nose is muted at first but aromas of red fruit developed over time. And while I detected some vanilla, my wife thought I was crazy. Initially it was like I was drinking two wines - bold fruit of the merlot under the tongue and distinct somewhat bitter vegetal notes (bell pepper and radish) of the CF assaulting the top of the tongue - quite an interesting contrast. Tannins were also quite present.

After an hour or so though the two melded together to form a far more balanced experience that was different to the above but definitely more enjoyable. The bell pepper was toned down and it seemed to integrate nicely. Towards the end of the night the CF became more prominent again but that was after much air from the small amount left in the decanter.

As I said - interesting! And at the price - it's hitting above it's weight class.

klezman

quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

Tasted one of these recently, I think it was the cab. Gotta find my notes! Recollection at this point is that it was good, and seeing the price point I'm considering grabbing this set.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 17 Private Messages mommadeb1

In for 1... running late for work... (will give details about how the monkey's showed up at moms house)...... after work...

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee

Pronunciation guide:

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

kaolis

quality posts: 27 Private Messages kaolis

This looks like too good of a deal to pass up. No monkeys on my lawn, well no "lawn", about 3 feet of snow cover here still. But have a feeling some serious wine here at a seriously nice price. Love WA state reds,particularly what they do with Cab Franc. Def in for one set, probably should do two. Going to think on this for a few minutes.

Nice little video interview here with the owner/winemaker:

http://www.vinestories.com/video.php?video=1258745316001

mrlbem

quality posts: 4 Private Messages mrlbem

Are these wines more like Raised By Wolves (either the Cab or the Bad Moon Rising), which I love, or more like the Dusted Valley/Boomtown offering several months back, which I thought were nothing special?

kaolis

Child's tuition bill staring me in the face, in for just one.

rjquillin

quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

Here's hoping someone from the winery, Matthew, Sarah or the winmaker, can visit and answer a few questions.
I visited the winery website and was unable to find any of these wines, and found specs on only a few of the offered wines.

We've had a few TN's, but I still want some lab notes prior to any purchase.
Notably missing is anything other than %Abv.
Really like to see some pH and TA numbers, and, any mega-purple or similar used in production.

All those saturated color comments are giving me pause.
Perhaps some fermentation and élevage notes as well...?
We have a large contingent here that looks at and considers such in purchase decisions, especially when these may not be consumed in the next couple years or so.

Really like the variety pack and the blend compositions. Quite temped for a couple. Push me over the edge Fjellene.

CT

scott0210

quality posts: 6 Private Messages scott0210
rjquillin wrote:Here's hoping someone from the winery, Matthew, Sarah or the winmaker, can visit and answer a few questions.
I visited the winery website and was unable to find any of these wines, and found specs on only a few of the offered wines.

Really like to see some pH and TA numbers, and, any mega-purple or similar used in production.

We have a large contingent here that looks at and considers such in purchase decisions, especially when these may not be consumed in the next couple years or so.

Really like the variety pack and the blend compositions. Quite temped for a couple. Push me over the edge Fjellene.

Second that. Would like to hear something from the winery. I've really like a couple of the Washington wines found on Woot. Gilbert and Raised by Wolves... like them both and buy about 4 to 5 cases a year of them.

cortot20

quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20
rjquillin wrote:Here's hoping someone from the winery, Matthew, Sarah or the winmaker, can visit and answer a few questions.

These are very interesting. Not a great splitter though. I might have to go in for a full set on my own for once.

CT

klezman

Recovered from barrel tasting in Sonoma (with some excellent woot-friendly stops) and awake! At least sort of. Sound the ntoes from a few weeks ago at losthiwayz' place and they were indeed from the 2010 Walla Walla Cab.

I found the nose to be closed initially, but with a hint of white pepper. Palate was dark fruit - plum - with a good chunk of tannin and some spicy qualities. The finish was in the short/medium range and carried a not insignificant vanilla component. Mouthfeel was mineraly and also with a chalky/limestone undertone.

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

rlmanzo

quality posts: 23 Private Messages rlmanzo

I generally love Washington State reds and have found more than a few gems on Woot.

Although more info from the winemaker will be helpful, my gut tells me this may be another find a' la Page Cellars and Raised by Wolves.

Something tells me I may regret getting only one....

Is it broke or just fractured?

trifecta

I was worried there would be positive comments on the wines I didn't try. I just got done telling myself after DnD weekend that I had to stop buying wine.... but solid wines from Walla Walla, at a really solid qpr is hard to pass up. These are just over $15 delivered. This looks to be a solid new winery trying to get their name out there at a loss, to our gain. These bottles are really nice 2 lb glass and real corks.

I know that I will definitely be adding them on my list of must hit next time I am there.

I need to go ahead and pull a thread for the next drinking, er I mean tasting party at our place. It might have to be a no outside bottles, just help me drink my wine!

Edit: I hope the winery will chime in as well, but I highly doubt this is a mega purple situation

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon

The most tempting offer to me thus far this year.

Great Mix, Love Washington wines, Good Price point, Good Reviews.

I'm sitting on the fence with RJQ. Won't take much of a push to get me in. A winery rep with a touch of info would do it!

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

FjelleneCellars

quality posts: 1 Private Messages FjelleneCellars

Hey All,

No mega purple.. This is the real deal. Quality fruit, well made wines. You are in for a treat- and at this price point, the only concern is did you buy enough?

cortot20

FjelleneCellars wrote:Hey All,

No mega purple.. This is the real deal. Quality fruit, well made wines. You are in for a treat- and at this price point, the only concern is did you buy enough?

Thanks for joining us. Any additional specs you can provide would be super helpful. And welcome to the Thunderdome.

CT

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42

So Cheron98 and I found a bottle of the 2010 West Fork Red lying around, probably dropped by those crazy monkeys that tend to lose track of the bottles they are hauling....

We opened it on Wednesday, letting it air only shortly. It has an inky black/dark color. One of the darkest wines I've seen in awhile. On the nose you get black pepper, black cherry/plum, leather, etc. It's that typical bordeaux nose, although a bit more potent than most French bordeaux I've had.
On the palate, we got dark fruit flavors as well. Pretty strong tannins, showing it's young age and that it could age well for awhile. Got a slightly chalky note on the finish and dark chocolate bitterness, but it went away after being in glass for awhile.
Finished the second half of the bottle Friday night after it was simply closed up (no vacuvin) in the fridge. It started out ok, but seemed to go pretty flabby and tasted kinda thin. So I would suggest drinking it all either the day you open it, or the following day.

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 34 Private Messages fredrinaldi
rlmanzo wrote:I generally love Washington State reds and have found more than a few gems on Woot.

Although more info from the winemaker will be helpful, my gut tells me this may be another find a' la Page Cellars and Raised by Wolves.

Something tells me I may regret getting only one....

RBW? love that stuff, now you got my Interest, hummmmm

Last Wooter to Woot:
fredrinaldi

rjquillin

FjelleneCellars wrote:Hey All,

Thanks (who is this?) for dropping in and clearing that up.
Can you now fill in a few of the other blanks asked earlier for us?

CT

tuttlecharles

quality posts: 2 Private Messages tuttlecharles

Ah...no NJ

Cyradia

quality posts: 29 Private Messages Cyradia

On the fence, here. The reviews look promising. The drive-by comment by the winery with the hard sell is a little off-putting, though.

mommadeb1

Ok, finally made it home from work! Here are the notes as promised:

The other day mom called me, seemed there was a caped monkey knocking at her door yelling " FYEL-LAY-NUH" at the top of his lungs.. curious, she decided to let him in. Good thing she did, after she gave him some water,(after all that screaming,he was thirsty) he left a bottle of the 2010 Cabernet as a thank you.

Tasting notes (me,Dad, and Mom (who has a cold)

PnP - Lighter than expected for a cab. More of a Pinot depth of crimson. (after reading it was a Washington wine, this made more sense)

nose- yum, I smelled cherries with a hint of chocolate. Dad thought it smelled like good quality chocolate covered cherries. Mom due to the cold smelled nothing (poor mom)

Taste- Lite, tastes like a cab but feels like a Pinot. I tasted cherries, like canned pie cherries, (NOT the pie filling over sugar type), but cherries in their own juice, and maybe a hint of almond (like almond paste). A bit tannic at first, but not bad
Dad- he said it was like eating a good chocolate covered cherry.
mom- felt too tannic for her.

Next we poured thru a Vinturi

Nose- more closed Me - cherry with a hint of almond?, no chocolate. Dad- still cherry

Taste- both Dad and I- Cherry and the finish was short. but good. mom - still too tannic.We tried with dark chocolate and it was WONDERFUL. It was like eating a very high end chocolate covered cherry.

Day 2 -stored on counter with cork

Short finish, nose a bit closed, still had cherry flavor.

There is something about this wine that makes you want more. Both dad and I enjoyed it to the last drop! I would either decant for a bit or use the Vinturi to smooth out the tannins. Although we didn't pair with food, we think it would be great, as it won't overpower what you are serving. I (we) see having this as an everyday wine. We were guessing price point to be in the $15 range.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
Cyradia wrote:On the fence, here. The reviews look promising. The drive-by comment by the winery with the hard sell is a little off-putting, though.

+1

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

trifecta

Cyradia wrote:On the fence, here. The reviews look promising. The drive-by comment by the winery with the hard sell is a little off-putting, though.

I'm not sure if it was a hard sell or not. It is possible with it being there first time on woot that they don't fully understand the role the community plays and how important it is wrt driving sales. Hoping we can see them back again and get a relationship going with the winemaker. Most winemakers once involved don't have any qualms about talking stats and winemaking process. Could be he was tied up today and we got a fly by from a tasting room staffer.

It is too hard for me to pass up the qpr on this deal for some solid juice from Walla2. I was thinking I would be in if this clocked in around $20/bottle delivered, but at $15... Need to get the final approval from SWMBO when I get home....

klezman

This may be my purchase for March along with some Victory. Even with the lack of participation. I liked the cab when we tasted it but feared it was going to be a black tie (and not worth it, imo, at $30+) but at $15 this is a fairly compelling deal assuming the other wines live up.

mommadeb1

klezman wrote:This may be my purchase for March along with some Victory. Even with the lack of participation. I liked the cab when we tasted it but feared it was going to be a black tie (and not worth it, imo, at $30+) but at $15 this is a fairly compelling deal assuming the other wines live up.

I REALLY liked the cab!! I was hoping for a 6 pk! If the others are as good as the cab, this might my new everyday favorite! Right now that goes to Pedroncelli

mommadeb1

trifecta wrote:I'm not sure if it was a hard sell or not. It is possible with it being there first time on woot that they don't fully understand the role the community plays and how important it is wrt driving sales. Hoping we can see them back again and get a relationship going with the winemaker. Most winemakers once involved don't have any qualms about talking stats and winemaking process. Could be he was tied up today and we got a fly by from a tasting room staffer.

It is too hard for me to pass up the qpr on this deal for some solid juice from Walla2. I was thinking I would be in if this clocked in around $20/bottle delivered, but at $15... Need to get the final approval from SWMBO when I get home....

I was glad it was priced in my price range!

rjquillin

Given more than an abrupt seagull flyby, I could have been in for a couple.

CT

kaolis

rjquillin wrote:Given more than an abrupt seagull flyby, I could have been in for a couple.

Oh come on...you've never bought a wine without winery participation..never??

deecue

quality posts: 0 Private Messages deecue
kaolis wrote:Oh come on...you've never bought a wine without winery participation..never??

But they did participate...
... poorly.

I was on the fence and was hoping for more info as of a lot of others.. I would have been more pressed to buy if they hadn't shown up at all. But they created an account, logged on, responded but didn't provide much help at all.

It's unfortunate because I think I may be missing out on some decent juice. Looking forward to them coming back and being a bit more active next time..

Just my 2 cents..

kaolis

deecue wrote:But they did participate...
... poorly.

I was on the fence and was hoping for more info as of a lot of others.. I would have been more pressed to buy if they hadn't shown up at all. But they created an account, logged on, responded but didn't provide much help at all.

It's unfortunate because I think I may be missing out on some decent juice. Looking forward to them coming back and being a bit more active next time..

Just my 2 cents..

So, you're pretty sure the wine is "decent". I'm betting it's better than decent. I get the winery participation thing. I'm a latecomer but the community has changed, heck they only ship wines to a handful of states and no info why. It's like $15 per all in..pull the trigger.

rjquillin

deecue wrote:But they did participate...
... poorly.
Just my 2 cents..

I think WD does brief them, but that single, almost patronizing, post was borderline offensive.
I asked a legitimate question, and was totall blown off. Some of the wines on their site have some additional specs. This is a question frequently asked; they need to deal with it.

Wow, do I sound like a grumpy old man tonight!

Could be great wine, I just don't care to be ignored in the manner this entire group was...

CT

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
kaolis wrote:So, you're pretty sure the wine is "decent". I'm betting it's better than decent. I get the winery participation thing. I'm a latecomer but the community has changed, heck they only ship wines to a handful of states and no info why. It's like $15 per all in..pull the trigger.

I like the logic both of you are presenting. I think kaolis wins, though. If I were on the fence, I'd be in based on the price and positive reviews.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

trifecta

kaolis wrote:So, you're pretty sure the wine is "decent". I'm betting it's better than decent. I get the winery participation thing. I'm a latecomer but the community has changed, heck they only ship wines to a handful of states and no info why. It's like $15 per all in..pull the trigger.

It is definitely better than decent. SIWBM to heck... and a very tepid ok from SWMBO. Frankly, I think it is too good a deal to skip.

Edit:
Speed to first woot: 9m 39.111s
First sucker:hyeok
Last wooter to woot:trifecta
Last purchase:a few seconds ago

iccrew98

quality posts: 8 Private Messages iccrew98

Alright folks....

As a (recently moved to) winemaker in Walla Walla, I do have a little familiarity with the brand as they were located around the corner from where I work.

So... the winery is no longer. The details don't matter but while they were around, they did make very good wines. The few I had were pretty solid and worth having in the cellar (maybe I should open one tonight?)

So, the flyby about no mega purple is most likely true. They had their own estate and people I know well managed their and their sourced vineyards. If anyone knows anything about WW, Tom Waliser is one of the best vineyard managers, handling Pepperbridge winery which is the estate winery for the same name (Winemaker there has 30+ years, was at Heitz - Napa previously). Their estate was managed by our estate manager as well for a time.

I have not had any of these wines, so I cannot attest to these particular wines. But 2009 was a great year. Some of our best wines came from that year. As for 2010, some maligned the year but quite honestly, it was the same as 2012 and I think produced some of the prettiest wines in the valley in recent memory. A true "winemaking" year, where good winemakers truly separated themselves from the rest.

Most people in the valley liked the wines from this winery when they were producing.

Caveat: I make wine in WW. I will never put down a wine I don't like from the valley (bad business - winemakers are very subjective, right?) nor will I promote a wine I don't like either.

At this price, you won't find wines like this that are (mostly) from Walla Walla and with the pedigree. I know I'm chiming in late but hopefully you feel good about the purchase.

From I.T. to wine. My transition, my learning and my new life.
winejosh.com
twitter /winejosh
"The toughest part about going back to school for wine is knowing you wasted all that drinking the first time around."

chipgreen

quality posts: 186 Private Messages chipgreen

Thanks to everyone who posted reviews and also to Walla Walla Josh for chiming in, I went in for a set but probably would have purchased 2 if the winery had participated a little more or if Josh wouldn't have posted 5 minutes after I already hit the big orange (or yellow, if you prefer) button. I was looking for something to combine with the Wellington Victory and this seemed like a good bet.

cortot20

iccrew98 wrote:Alright folks....

As a (recently moved to) winemaker in Walla Walla, I do have a little familiarity with the brand as they were located around the corner from where I work.

So... the winery is no longer. The details don't matter but while they were around, they did make very good wines. The few I had were pretty solid and worth having in the cellar (maybe I should open one tonight?)

So, the flyby about no mega purple is most likely true. They had their own estate and people I know well managed their and their sourced vineyards. If anyone knows anything about WW, Tom Waliser is one of the best vineyard managers, handling Pepperbridge winery which is the estate winery for the same name (Winemaker there has 30+ years, was at Heitz - Napa previously). Their estate was managed by our estate manager as well for a time.

I have not had any of these wines, so I cannot attest to these particular wines. But 2009 was a great year. Some of our best wines came from that year. As for 2010, some maligned the year but quite honestly, it was the same as 2012 and I think produced some of the prettiest wines in the valley in recent memory. A true "winemaking" year, where good winemakers truly separated themselves from the rest.

Most people in the valley liked the wines from this winery when they were producing.

Caveat: I make wine in WW. I will never put down a wine I don't like from the valley (bad business - winemakers are very subjective, right?) nor will I promote a wine I don't like either.

At this price, you won't find wines like this that are (mostly) from Walla Walla and with the pedigree. I know I'm chiming in late but hopefully you feel good about the purchase.

Awesomely informative.
Thank you much.

I'm off the fence and off this sale, I'm going to wait to see how much of this gets dumped over the next few months. I assume I'll at least get a 2nd chance at it in a woot-off.

CT