MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of November 24
Counting down to Thanksgiving -- and the various Black Friday Get-togethers... Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

November
11/29: NoVA/DC #30: 5th Annual Leftovers Feasting
11/29: Connecticut #?: Black Friday/White Bear
TBD: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

January
1/24-26: Buffalo/WNY #11: Icewine Festival

Summer
TBD: 2014 RPM History Tour Interest Thread

Pending
TBD: Atlanta #1
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

vaaccess

quality posts: 17 Private Messages vaaccess

It's 8:12AM here and I have Petite Sirah on my mind...gotta open some of that dreamy juice tonight!!!

And...Now to decide which one!!!

Wine Cooler (Image) currently at 47% of Capacity

My Current Inventory on CellarTracker

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
vaaccess wrote:It's 8:12AM here and I have Petite Sirah on my mind...gotta open some of that dreamy juice tonight!!!

I'd help out, but I can't see your cellar.

This sounds infinitely dirtier than it should.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith

This no shipping to MN is complete leftovers! This would have been a great gift for some of my doctor colleagues/source of referrals...

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
otolith wrote:This no shipping to MN is complete leftovers! This would have been a great gift for some of my doctor colleagues/source of referrals...

If you ship it to me I can refer to how good it was if I ever talk to them. That counts right?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

otolith

bhodilee wrote:If you ship it to me I can refer to how good it was if I ever talk to them. That counts right?

You already have too much goddamn wine in your basement that you don't drink! Not quite to the Sparky level, or mine, for that matter, lol.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:This no shipping to MN is complete leftovers! This would have been a great gift for some of my doctor colleagues/source of referrals...

I was excited until I realized I only really wanted 3 of those bottles, owell!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 230 Private Messages kylemittskus

The increased level of moderation in the main forum is becoming very irritating.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 565 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:The increased level of moderation in the main forum is becoming very irritating.

All I did was delete all the people posting "I'd buy this but I'm in xyz state". And your post complaining about all them posting.

Trying to give more room for the real posts.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

otolith

ThunderThighs wrote:All I did was delete all the people posting "I'd buy this but I'm in xyz state". And your post complaining about all them posting.

Trying to give more room for the real posts.

In addition to deleting them, a simple post recognizing said deleted posts may be helpful...

--John Muir

ThunderThighs

Staff

otolith wrote:In addition to deleting them, a simple post recognizing said deleted posts may be helpful...

Fair enough.

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

kylemittskus

ThunderThighs wrote:Fair enough.

I retract my statement. I just realized you deleted all the stupid, repetitive, already answered every single day including today posts, as well. See? Now I'm writing run-on sentences. These people . . .

ThunderThighs

Staff

kylemittskus wrote:I retract my statement. I just realized you deleted all the stupid, repetitive, already answered every single day including today posts, as well. See? Now I'm writing run-on sentences. These people . . .

FORUM MODERATOR

InFrom

quality posts: 31 Private Messages InFrom
ThunderThighs wrote:

Love your Pilgrim outfit!

ThunderThighs

Staff

InFrom wrote:Love your Pilgrim outfit!

Thank you!

FORUM MODERATOR

bahwm

quality posts: 29 Private Messages bahwm

The plumbing saga continues: yesterday, I happened to notice that the soil settled around where the new water line connected to the main and there was water accumulating around the vent. ddeuddeg went out and decided to put a rock that they had left us into the water. The rock went down into the water about 12 inches! Today, more water has accumulated! Plumber came out to check it out and has no idea what happened. He says that it's nothing that they did, since they did everything correctly and that we will have to pay additional costs . . .

Hmmm, no leak there before, leak now. Whose fault would that be?

I spoke with the guy in financing. He is going to close that account, zero out the balance and make it go away. He will be calling the bank and I may have to call the bank myself to shut down the account. Apparently, the bank automatically sends a cc when a line of credit is opened. However, it must be paid via check or routing info. He asked if I had the cc available so that he could take care of the bill right away. I told him that I will wait until all of the work is completed satisfactorily before I give him the cc number. He was fine with that. Unfortunately, I will have to pull the money out of savings to pay for this expense. Oh, well, at least I can get my points!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

kylemittskus

So they tear everything apart and presumably fix everything. Then, there's an issue and it had nothing to do with a) the aforementioned tearing apart or b) their fixes, or lack thereof apparently. Uh huh. Makes perfect sense!

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
vaaccess wrote:It's 8:12AM here and I have Petite Sirah on my mind...gotta open some of that dreamy juice tonight!!!

Probably time to drink up that '04 Castle Rock or maybe the '02 KR for something a little nicer. I would suggest the '01 KR but after seeing Peter mention what a good vintage '01 was in the main thread, maybe better to drink the '02 first.
EDIT: Of course, Peter also mentioned '04 as an exceptional vintage (and here I thought '05 was better?) but it's Castle Rock after all. Not that there's anything wrong with that! In fact I need to drink my '06 Castle Rock Merlot soon.... and I do have a soft spot for Castle Rock as their Carneros Pinot Noir was my first and only official labrat bottle complete with golden ticket!

chipgreen

quality posts: 189 Private Messages chipgreen
kylemittskus wrote:So they tear everything apart and presumably fix everything. Then, there's an issue and it had nothing to do with a) the aforementioned tearing apart or b) their fixes, or lack thereof apparently. Uh huh. Makes perfect sense!

I think it comes down to whether or not they worked on the spot where the leak is. If it's located away from the work that they did then it's a new leak which can sometimes occur when an old leak is fixed because it puts additional pressure on the rest of the system.

However from what bahwm posted it sounds like the leak is at the connection of the new pipe they installed and water main which would absolutely be their fault.

cortot20

quality posts: 142 Private Messages cortot20
kylemittskus wrote:So they tear everything apart and presumably fix everything. Then, there's an issue and it had nothing to do with a) the aforementioned tearing apart or b) their fixes, or lack thereof apparently. Uh huh. Makes perfect sense!

When I was having some plumbing issues I went to shut off the main downstream of the meter and found the nut used to turn the lever was rusted out. I asked a plumber about replacing the valve and he said on an older system adding a new component upstream of the system could cause lots of other failures. So he did not recommend it. I also work in pressure piping design for the oil industry and can tell you that metal fatigue can be a real thing if they did any welding. Also, any variation in pressure can cause an older system to fail. And they typically fail at welds.

The best way to diagnose it is to dig it up and see. Could be a cracked weld or fitting. Good luck.

CT

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:The plumbing saga continues: yesterday, I happened to notice that the soil settled around where the new water line connected to the main and there was water accumulating around the vent. ddeuddeg went out and decided to put a rock that they had left us into the water. The rock went down into the water about 12 inches! Today, more water has accumulated! Plumber came out to check it out and has no idea what happened. He says that it's nothing that they did, since they did everything correctly and that we will have to pay additional costs . . .

I spoke with the guy in financing. He is going to close that account, zero out the balance and make it go away. He will be calling the bank and I may have to call the bank myself to shut down the account. Apparently, the bank automatically sends a cc when a line of credit is opened. However, it must be paid via check or routing info. He asked if I had the cc available so that he could take care of the bill right away. I told him that I will wait until all of the work is completed satisfactorily before I give him the cc number. He was fine with that. Unfortunately, I will have to pull the money out of savings to pay for this expense. Oh, well, at least I can get my points!

you poor thing!!! these guys sound like crooks!! Have you checked the BBB on them?

rjquillin

quality posts: 174 Private Messages rjquillin
cortot20 wrote:The best way to diagnose it is to dig it up and see. Could be a cracked weld or fitting. Good luck.

Are there actually 'welds' in domestic water systems, on the consumer side of the meter? I remember the polybutylene debacle years back, and solvent joints on PVC are sometimes called welds; but isn't most plumbing still copper, where the standard joint is soft-soldered?

CT

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
cortot20 wrote:When I was having some plumbing issues I went to shut off the main downstream of the meter and found the nut used to turn the lever was rusted out. I asked a plumber about replacing the valve and he said on an older system adding a new component upstream of the system could cause lots of other failures. So he did not recommend it. I also work in pressure piping design for the oil industry and can tell you that metal fatigue can be a real thing if they did any welding. Also, any variation in pressure can cause an older system to fail. And they typically fail at welds.

The best way to diagnose it is to dig it up and see. Could be a cracked weld or fitting. Good luck.

Thanks for the useful perspective on this. Ironically, the only reason we were changing the water line is because it's 90+ years old, and the trench was already open to replace the sewer. It would have been nice to hear this warning from our plumber beforehand.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bahwm

mommadeb1 wrote:you poor thing!!! these guys sound like crooks!! Have you checked the BBB on them?

They are not a member of the BBB. However, they have had a few issues that were reported there and have been rectified. I'm not so sure that they're crooks. Things happen in plumbing. ddeuddeg always expects at least three trips to the store when attempting a small job that he knows he can handle! It just seems like there are a few things that they could handle better--including making sure their head guy on the job is aware of a few basic aspects of financing a large job! They're not getting my cc number until all is taken care of! I just hope that we do not incur any further expenses!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

cortot20

rjquillin wrote:Are there actually 'welds' in domestic water systems, on the consumer side of the meter? I remember the polybutylene debacle years back, and solvent joints on PVC are sometimes called welds; but isn't most plumbing still copper, where the standard joint is soft-soldered?

They don't typically run copper underground because of corrosion. I'm not sure what they would use from the meter to the house. Might even be plastic. But the original point was that it probably failed at the connection to the old line or the change in pressure from the new line caused a failure further down the old line. Having a plumber walk down the existing system might be a good idea post new water supply line install.

CT

bahwm

cortot20 wrote:They don't typically run copper underground because of corrosion. I'm not sure what they would use from the meter to the house. Might even be plastic. But the original point was that it probably failed at the connection to the old line or the change in pressure from the new line caused a failure further down the old line. Having a plumber walk down the existing system might be a good idea post new water supply line install.

They put down 6 inch PVC for the sewer line and copper for the water line, replacing the galvanized line. "Walk down the existing system"? Please explain. The water line has been replaced from the main into the house. They moved the meter also. Gotta have the water company replace the meter so they can read it with a scanner.

cortot20

bahwm wrote:They put down 6 inch PVC for the sewer line and copper for the water line, replacing the galvanized line. "Walk down the existing system"? Please explain. The water line has been replaced from the main into the house. They moved the meter also. Gotta have the water company replace the meter so they can read it with a scanner.

All I meant was that an inspection of the existing plumbing might be a good idea to check for small leaks since as you say its 90+ years old.

CT

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to Mewalk707 & jwhite6114!!

Happy Birthday to Mewalk707 & jwhite6114!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

edthebedhead

quality posts: 4 Private Messages edthebedhead
bahwm wrote:The plumbing saga continues: yesterday, I happened to notice that the soil settled around where the new water line connected to the main and there was water accumulating around the vent. ddeuddeg went out and decided to put a rock that they had left us into the water. The rock went down into the water about 12 inches! Today, more water has accumulated! Plumber came out to check it out and has no idea what happened. He says that it's nothing that they did, since they did everything correctly and that we will have to pay additional costs . . .

Yeah, crooks. Also, it seems hard to say you did something correctly when it is buried underground. Push back, and don't pay a penny.

vaaccess

bhodilee wrote:I'd help out, but I can't see your cellar.

This sounds infinitely dirtier than it should.

Ended up pulling a bottle of Rasmussen's 2007 Esoterica, which we hope to bring with us to a restaurant tonight...gotta find out if we can...

Anyway.

Last night had some great pan-seared tuna. I had tried an Albariño, but it was too sweet for what I was looking for so we went with two glasses of Mondavi Chardonnay. Brought it out and it was super cold...I was getting some apricot and tartness. Kept sniffing and sipping and decided they poured us the wrong wine! Had to have been a Pinot Grigio they had on the menu. Asked the waiter to bring a taste of the Chardonnay so I could compare/validate and sho'nuff...it was totally different!

I have certainly come a long ways over the last 5-ish years. The PG wasn't bad, just not what we wanted/ordered and I was happy I knew enough and could be confident enough to tell them it was the wrong wine! They were great about it, which was nice.

vaaccess

vaaccess wrote:Ended up pulling a bottle of Rasmussen's 2007 Esoterica, which we hope to bring with us to a restaurant tonight...gotta find out if we can...

Anyway.

Last night had some great pan-seared tuna. I had tried an Albariño, but it was too sweet for what I was looking for so we went with two glasses of Mondavi Chardonnay. Brought it out and it was super cold...I was getting some apricot and tartness. Kept sniffing and sipping and decided they poured us the wrong wine! Had to have been a Pinot Grigio they had on the menu. Asked the waiter to bring a taste of the Chardonnay so I could compare/validate and sho'nuff...it was totally different!

I have certainly come a long ways over the last 5-ish years. The PG wasn't bad, just not what we wanted/ordered and I was happy I knew enough and could be confident enough to tell them it was the wrong wine! They were great about it, which was nice.

Good news...we can bring wine in.

Bad news...first place had a $50 corking fee!!! Where's the Football??

Good news again...second choice for dinner is closer, should be able to walk to, is a place we liked before, and only charges a $25 corking fee. Done. Hoping to blow the waiters/chefs mind with some quality PS!!! (Will let them try it for sure...)

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
ddeuddeg wrote:It would have been nice to hear this warning from our plumber beforehand.

That would imply these are GOOD plumbers, which we have already established these are SHADY plumbers. They probably were giggling all the way home, thinking "Just think how much extra work we're gonna get out of those suckers for this! Muahaha!"

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

cheron98

bahwm wrote:I just hope that we do not incur any further expenses!

Oh, but you will, dear. You will.

Sorry

cheron98

vaaccess wrote:$50 corking fee!!!
$25 corking fee

!!!

That reminds me - one of our favorite places here has free corkage Mondays now. Along with their 4-course prix fixe menu M-Th, once we finally get around to going on a Monday, should make for a fabulous yet reasonably priced meal

$25 corkage. geez.

vaaccess

cheron98 wrote:!!!

That reminds me - one of our favorite places here has free corkage Mondays now. Along with their 4-course prix fixe menu M-Th, once we finally get around to going on a Monday, should make for a fabulous yet reasonably priced meal

$25 corkage. geez.

I can deal with $25. But $50???? I can't justify that.

mewalk707

quality posts: 0 Private Messages mewalk707
MarkDaSpark wrote:Happy Birthday to Mewalk707 & jwhite6114!!

Thank you

bahwm

vaaccess wrote:I can deal with $25. But $50???? I can't justify that.

$50 corkage=I don't want you to bring in your wine. I want to to buy mine since my wine is better than your wine!

bahwm

mewalk707 wrote:Thank you

Happy Birthday, mewalk! and jwhite.

vaaccess

bahwm wrote:$50 corkage=I don't want you to bring in your wine. I want to to buy mine since my wine is better than your wine!

Agreed....but now I am not going there. Logic failure...plus I think my PS is better than what they offer!!! (They do have a 2007 Robert Foley PS for $120...)

If they had told me their corkage fee would include a decanter and high-quality crystal glasses I think they would have a more compelling story...but whatever...(PS...Onerous Massive Family Gathering...I sound like a wine snob!!!)