MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 185 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

PoSt away folks!!!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of September 1
Summer may be unofficially over, but it's never to late to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

September
9/7: NorCal #20: NorCal + SoCal -- PS Night
9/7: Dallas/Fort Worth--September 7th -- Please RSVP by Sept 3 for accurate headcount!
9/8 or TBD: NorCal #21 Halcón Vineyards Tasting or TBD
9/20: Chicago #?: Wine & Appetizers in Lemont
9/28: SoCal #28: Sparky & zTimBz OC Wine Locker Redux
TBD: Atlanta #1

October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

BTW, finally saw Les Mis last night. So glad I didn't spend money to see it, both in the cinema and on Blu-Ray.

Loved the cinematography, but did they have to sing the whole way thru???

I can accept (and expect) it in a play. But it just ruined the movie for me.

ibexscribe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ibexscribe
MarkDaSpark wrote:BTW, finally saw Les Mis last night. So glad I didn't spend money to see it, both in the cinema and on Blu-Ray.

It's a film version of a stage musical, so isn't it supposed to having singing all the way through? If they didn't, I'd be very, very upset!

Now for a personal enlightenment request, there is a strong chance that I will be relocating from Syracuse to Austin in the near future for work. While my wine stash is a bit depleted, it's still in good enough shape that I'd probably not get much done between now and then if I tried to consume it all before the move. As relocation would involve company-paid professional packers and movers, would my wine be okay packed in shipping boxes (I still have several of the cardboard inserts but nothing from summer shipping)? There's a chance I would drive (in which case the wine would go with me in the trunk), but the thought of a 25-ish hour drive with a dog and a cat in a small car makes flying sound nice, so it would have to go in the moving van. While I'd like to be able to check it on a flight, reality is that two animals in crates plus enough luggage to keep me clothed for whatever time I'd have to live in a hotel and traveling without any other humans means any extra baggage would be super inconvenient.

Is packing a case or so in a moving van "dangerous" enough to consider donating my stash or should this be no big deal?

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22

Posted in the wrong pub. So bumping this back up so others don't follow like lemmings.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
ibexscribe wrote:Is packing a case or so in a moving van "dangerous" enough to consider donating my stash or should this be no big deal?

You're going to pack it in styrofoam lined shipping boxes, like we do every time we fly from Oakland or SFO to Buffalo, and we've never lost a drop. It's probably going to get cooler soon enough, unless by near future you mean next week, so they hopefully won't get cooked, especially with the styrofoam around them. It's mostly the last leg of the trip where there's the greatest risk of that. You put some stickers on the boxes to identify them as fragile, and there's reasonable hope that the movers will treat them as such, certainly more so than the automated conveyors at the airport. Unless you have a worthy cause to which to "donate" them (I'm only a couple of hours away ), I'd take my chances with the moving van. Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes, because there's occasionally someone else looking for similar advice.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

otolith

quality posts: 22 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:You're within driving distance. And have my phone number.

Wish we were within driving distance, too.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

ibexscribe wrote:It's a film version of a stage musical, so isn't it supposed to having singing all the way through? If they didn't, I'd be very, very upset!

Now for a personal enlightenment request, there is a strong chance that I will be relocating from Syracuse to Austin in the near future for work. While my wine stash is a bit depleted, it's still in good enough shape that I'd probably not get much done between now and then if I tried to consume it all before the move. As relocation would involve company-paid professional packers and movers, would my wine be okay packed in shipping boxes (I still have several of the cardboard inserts but nothing from summer shipping)? There's a chance I would drive (in which case the wine would go with me in the trunk), but the thought of a 25-ish hour drive with a dog and a cat in a small car makes flying sound nice, so it would have to go in the moving van. While I'd like to be able to check it on a flight, reality is that two animals in crates plus enough luggage to keep me clothed for whatever time I'd have to live in a hotel and traveling without any other humans means any extra baggage would be super inconvenient.

Is packing a case or so in a moving van "dangerous" enough to consider donating my stash or should this be no big deal?

The last stage musical I saw (Wicked) still had some dialogue in it. Mostly singing, but there was still some dialogue. And it seems like there was also some in most (if not all) other stage musicals I've seen in the past (granted, the far past!) such as Zoot Suit, Annie, Evita, and Phantom (missed Cats, darn it!).

I wanted to go see Les Mis on stage, and kept missing it. So if it was entirely singing, then the movie was accurate. It's just that's not my cup of tea, although that may have more to do with the songs.

Evita and Wicked (and Phantom) had a plethora of excellent songs that resonated and I never tired of hearing (unlike Annie, but that may have been more the 3 times we went to see it, ). Les Mes (the movie) only had a few songs that did so for me. So that could be the reason I found it lacking as a movie.

But on to more important items!

As to your wine ... as Ddeuddeg said, you should move them in the summer shipping containers with stryofoam. You don't know the temps inside the moving van, and the bottles will be protected better. Especially since you will be moving to Austin.

The regular shipping boxes won't protect them as well, especially from heat. Plus they aren't as sturdy as the ones with stryofoam.

If you have some more important bottles, you can always use a Wine Mummy (or Wine Diaper) and take them inside your luggage (not carry-on!).

Good luck on the move!!

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:BTW, finally saw Les Mis last night. So glad I didn't spend money to see it, both in the cinema and on Blu-Ray.

haven't seen the movie... it is NOT one of my favorite plays... I have seen it a few times... and have no desire to see it again!

ibexscribe

quality posts: 7 Private Messages ibexscribe
ddeuddeg wrote:You're going to pack it in styrofoam lined shipping boxes, like we do every time we fly from Oakland or SFO to Buffalo, and we've never lost a drop. It's probably going to get cooler soon enough, unless by near future you mean next week, so they hopefully won't get cooked, especially with the styrofoam around them. It's mostly the last leg of the trip where there's the greatest risk of that. You put some stickers on the boxes to identify them as fragile, and there's reasonable hope that the movers will treat them as such, certainly more so than the automated conveyors at the airport. Unless you have a worthy cause to which to "donate" them (I'm only a couple of hours away ), I'd take my chances with the moving van. Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes, because there's occasionally someone else looking for similar advice.

It would probably be in a month or so. I also just realized that there's a second problem: my stuff will probably end up in a pod for a couple of weeks in Austin while I live in a hotel til my living arrangements are all made. That's almost a guaranteed cook! I realized that my stock is really more depleted than I thought and I only have 7 bottles or so worth worrying about, which I might be able to rehome enough that I can reasonably drink the rest (I'm a one glass per day kind of girl).

I sincerely appreciate the feedback, though!

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg

otolith wrote:Wish we were within driving distance, too.

PB and I sometimes wish we lived within driving distance of your place, you know. Like a few nights ago.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

MarkDaSpark

ibexscribe wrote:It would probably be in a month or so. I also just realized that there's a second problem: my stuff will probably end up in a pod for a couple of weeks in Austin while I live in a hotel til my living arrangements are all made. That's almost a guaranteed cook! I realized that my stock is really more depleted than I thought and I only have 7 bottles or so worth worrying about, which I might be able to rehome enough that I can reasonably drink the rest (I'm a one glass per day kind of girl).

You could always bring one or two with you, using the Wine Mummy or Wine Diaper bags. They work well, as I can attest.

Good luck on the move!

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
MarkDaSpark wrote:The last stage musical I saw (Wicked) still had some dialogue in it. Mostly singing, but there was still some dialogue. And it seems like there was also some in most (if not all) other stage musicals I've seen in the past (granted, the far past!) such as Zoot Suit, Annie, Evita, and Phantom (missed Cats, darn it!).

So I know people who can't sand sung through musicals, so you 're far from alone with that- doesn't bother me personally though.

However those people shun Andrew Lloyd Webber spew (Cats, Evita, Phantom, Starlight [cough] Express, etc.) because it's either completely sung through or like there are 2 lines of spoken words in the entire play.

[I've had to listen to one particular friend, who probably sees upwards of 5 shows a month mind you, cake is a lie about this topic more than once ]

ddeuddeg

ibexscribe wrote:It would probably be in a month or so. I also just realized that there's a second problem: my stuff will probably end up in a pod for a couple of weeks in Austin while I live in a hotel til my living arrangements are all made. That's almost a guaranteed cook! I realized that my stock is really more depleted than I thought and I only have 7 bottles or so worth worrying about, which I might be able to rehome enough that I can reasonably drink the rest (I'm a one glass per day kind of girl).

Average daily temperatures in Austin Drop from 86°F. on the 1st to 80°F. on the 21st, so your concern is certainly legitimate, if there's no way to rescue those bottles. Hope your Syracuse friends will be appreciative of the re-homing.

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:So I know people who can't sand sung through musicals, so you 're far from alone with that- doesn't bother me personally though.

However those people shun Andrew Lloyd Webber spew (Cats, Evita, Phantom, Starlight [cough] Express, etc.) because it's either completely sung through or like there are 2 lines of spoken words in the entire play.

[I've had to listen to one particular friend, who probably sees upwards of 5 shows a month mind you, cake is a lie about this topic more than once ]

Depends on the songs and singing. Evita was really good the two times I saw it. The songs I remember from Phantom were good as well.

It's just that there was only maybe 2 good songs in Les Mis. The rest was dreck.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
MarkDaSpark wrote:Depends on the songs and singing. Evita was really good the two times I saw it. The songs I remember from Phantom were good as well.

It's just that there was only maybe 2 good songs in Les Mis. The rest was dreck.

You're crazy. That is all.

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

MarkDaSpark

cheron98 wrote:You're crazy. That is all.

We are all crazy.

mother

MarkDaSpark wrote:We are all crazy.

We'll you're insanity extends to taste in musical theater ;)

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
mother wrote:We'll you're insanity extends to taste in musical theater ;)

I well remember the first musical I ever saw; The King and I, but damned if I can remember the last.
I'll cop to crazy.

CT

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:We'll you're insanity extends to taste in musical theater ;)

mommadeb1

MarkDaSpark wrote:Depends on the songs and singing. Evita was really good the two times I saw it. The songs I remember from Phantom were good as well.

Phantom is my all time favorite!! I like cats also.... wicked, Hairspray, and Mary Poppins...are also well liked in my house...I am hoping to get tickets to Book of Mormon... What can I say.. I like plays... just don't like Les Mis....

mother

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:PB and I sometimes wish we lived within driving distance of your place, you know. Like a few nights ago.

So true. But I do stop and visit periodically. Like maybe later this month.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

polarbear22

Smoked three racks, one was 3 lbs. and the other two 4 lbs. We split one, and each have about half of that for lunch. One rack is going to my cycling buddy. The other will be frozen, and given the two meal deal tonight, we will plan on a half rack per meal for the two of us.

I get leaking out the front door, if any of the experts have suggestions, I am open.

Next new attempt is smoked salmon.

My Cellar

mommadeb1

polarbear22 wrote:Smoked three racks, one was 3 lbs. and the other two 4 lbs. We split one, and each have about half of that for lunch. One rack is going to my cycling buddy. The other will be frozen, and given the two meal deal tonight, we will plan on a half rack per meal for the two of us.

I get leaking out the front door, if any of the experts have suggestions, I am open.

Next new attempt is smoked salmon.

mmmmm sounds yummy!!

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:So true. But I do stop and visit periodically. Like maybe later this month.

Hope it works out!

Almost got to see Vaaccess this past summer, but it got to be too busy for both of us to get together.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

polarbear22

otolith wrote:Hope it works out!

Almost got to see Vaaccess this past summer, but it got to be too busy for both of us to get together.

I'll send you an e-mail. In for a wedding. But also have the in-laws.

My Cellar

otolith

polarbear22 wrote:I'll send you an e-mail. In for a wedding. But also have the in-laws.

Got it. I'm also on call the last weekend of the month, so we'll have to figure out some details.

--John Muir

MarkDaSpark

mother wrote:

Which one is Caroline's friend, Annie?

ddeuddeg

rjquillin wrote:I well remember the first musical I ever saw; The King and I, but damned if I can remember the last.
I'll cop to crazy.

I remember the first one I saw, too. On Broadway, summer of 1962, end of my Junior year of high school. Camelot, starring Richard Burton, Robert Goulet, and Julie Andrews. I absolutely loved it, but what did a 16-year old know about musicals? It's still one of my favorites of the genre, but I'm not a big fan of musicals in general.

MarkDaSpark

ddeuddeg wrote:I remember the first one I saw, too. On Broadway, summer of 1962, end of my Junior year of high school. Camelot, starring Richard Burton, Robert Goulet, and Julie Andrews. I absolutely loved it, but what did a 16-year old know about musicals? It's still one of my favorites of the genre, but I'm not a big fan of musicals in general.

Still love the movie version of Man of La Mancha with Peter O'Toole.

MarkDaSpark

And they finally posted a new video of Fat Gus ... I guess we haven't been sending enough Phat Goose back to cover him back up!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 586 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

Morning all! Hope you had a nice 3 day weekend if you were so lucky.

I made son help me clean the house.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

MarkDaSpark

ThunderThighs wrote:Morning all! Hope you had a nice 3 day weekend if you were so lucky.

I made son help me clean the house.

Okay, how did you do that, other than Blackmail?

And how many times can you spot Jeff Stai and Twisted Oak here?

ThunderThighs

Staff

MarkDaSpark wrote:Okay, how did you do that, other than Blackmail?

Heh, he has no summer job so the guilt trip works pretty well. He's a good kid and helps out when I ask. He just doesn't do a good of a job if he does it on his own.

I told him I'd take him to Dairy Queen afterwards. He let me know that he'd just drive himself to Dairy Queen. LOL. He's 22 (almost 23).

FORUM MODERATOR
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

rjquillin

quality posts: 178 Private Messages rjquillin
ThunderThighs wrote:Heh, he has no summer job so the guilt trip works pretty well. He's a good kid and helps out when I ask. He just doesn't do a good of a job if he does it on his own.

I told him I'd take him to Dairy Queen afterwards. He let me know that he'd just drive himself to Dairy Queen. LOL. He's 22 (almost 23).

Well welcome back. It's just not quite the same when you go AWOL, nothing against the other mods mind you..

CT

ThunderThighs

Staff

rjquillin wrote:Well welcome back. It's just not quite the same when you go AWOL, nothing against the other mods mind you..

Awwww, thanks. I'm here during the days and one weekend a month. I lurk on the other weekends in case I know the answer to question for my sites (we split sites so we can have a easier load to manage). And yes, I have wine. You can decide whether that makes you lucky or unlucky.

FORUM MODERATOR

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

Em just turned a year old and she has 2 teeth. At least 3 more are now coming in all at once. The exact opposite of fun. She just woke up from her nap screaming at the top of her lungs.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

otolith

kylemittskus wrote:Em just turned a year old and she has 2 teeth. At least 3 more are now coming in all at once. The exact opposite of fun. She just woke up from her nap screaming at the top of her lungs.

Don't you have any brandy around the house? A drop for her, and a shot for you should do the trick!

Or, they do make orajel, and motrin, for things like this.

--John Muir