JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Some folks like to get away,
Take a holiday from the neighborhood.
Hop a flight to Miami Beach or to Hollywood.
But I'm takin' a Greyhound on the Hudson River line.
I'm in a New York state of mind.
I've seen all the movie stars in their fancy cars and their limousines.
Been high in the Rockies under the evergreens.
I know what I'm needin', and I don't want to waste more time.

It was so easy livin' day by day
Out of touch with the rhythm and blues
But now I need a little give and take
The New York Times, the Daily News.

It comes down to reality, and its fine with me cause I've let it slide.
I don't care if it's Chinatown or on Riverside.
I don't have any reasons.
I left them all behind.
It was so easy living day by day
Out of touch with the rhythm and blues
But now I need a little give and take
The New York Times, the Daily News.

It comes down to reality, and its fine with me cause I've let it slide.
I don't care if it's Chinatown or on Riverside.
I don't have any reasons.
I left them all behind.

I'm just taking a Greyhound on the Hudson River line.
Cause I'm in a, I'm in a New York state of mind

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.
New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of August 18
As the summer winds, down, it's time to...Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
August
8/24: The Wootception!!!

September
Labor Day Weekend: Visiting Vegas for the Weekend!
9/7: NorCal #20: NorCal + SoCal -- PS Night
9/7: Dallas/Fort Worth--September 7th -- Please RSVP by Sept 3 for accurate headcount!
9/28: SoCal #28: Sparky & zTimBz OC Wine Locker Redux
TBD: Atlanta #1

October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
bahwm wrote:Smoothie update: Today I tried a totally different smoothie with some steamed kale (just ever so slightly steamed--cut up with the rib removed); 3 local peaches; 1 frozen banana; about a cup of frozen local blueberries; whatever was leftover of the plain Greek yogurt and whatever was left over of some whole milk (from a dessert recipe for Shakespeare benefit picnic--we don't drink that stuff anymore!) and a squirt of Agave nectar and 4 ice cubes. This was one really tasty smoothie! Thank you, bowtie, for your suggestion about steaming the kale.

That sounds a lot like my typical smoothie, but I've been a kale holdout until now. (I do love kale, I've just been clinging to a bias against the idea of having it for breakfast.) Think I'll pick some up at the farmer's market next weekend and give it a whirl. (Get it??? A whirl, see -- oh, forget it.)

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
InFrom wrote:That sounds a lot like my typical smoothie, but I've been a kale holdout until now. (I do love kale, I've just been clinging to a bias against the idea of having it for breakfast.) Think I'll pick some up at the farmer's market next weekend and give it a whirl. (Get it??? A whirl, see -- oh, forget it.)

Gave that joke a spin didntcha...

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

InFrom

quality posts: 33 Private Messages InFrom
bhodilee wrote:Gave that joke a spin didntcha...

Ugh, bowtie, you're kale-ing me here...

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg

Cross-posted from current offer thread:

ROGETRAY wrote:WCC is not currently shipping to NY due to some restrictions, but we should get further details sometime very soon.
Sorry for the inconvenience
canonizer wrote:Wow, I go away for a couple of months and you blacklist my state. Dagnabit. Any chance the regulations will be fixed today?

Bet against any fix today. The last offer that shipped to NY was last Monday. Since then, nothing, and nobody will say why. I've seen nothing in the news about any changes, the Ship Compliant Blog to which the list of shipping states directs us says nothing about any changes. Either there have been regulation changes, or there haven't. If there have been changes, WCC knows about it, and knows what the changes are, but nobody will talk about it here. All you get today is some lame apology and a suggestion that there will be "further details soon." That's the first real reply since WD came on last Tuesday, telling us to stay tuned. After finding little on wine.woot that interested me for some time, they come up with at least 3 offers in the past 6 days that I'd place orders for without thinking twice, but no dice. I've had several offers to wootleg (ranging from a 4 hour drive to a 7 hour plane flight away), but I'm not about to prevail on my friends indefinitely, especially with no answers forthcoming. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, so I'll end my rant with a promise not to come back to this subject until I see something new and meaningful on the matter.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

bhodilee

InFrom wrote:Ugh, bowtie, you're kale-ing me here...

perfect

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
InFrom wrote:That sounds a lot like my typical smoothie, but I've been a kale holdout until now. (I do love kale, I've just been clinging to a bias against the idea of having it for breakfast.) Think I'll pick some up at the farmer's market next weekend and give it a whirl. (Get it??? A whirl, see -- oh, forget it.)

Do you think this is one that could actually be "whirled" the night before and just stirred up a bit? I'm not sure how well the peaches would do without some lemon juice. I suppose instead of milk, I could add some orange juice. Actually, we had this one for lunch.

Oh, yeah. I did buy and insulated Alladin smoothie mug with lid & smoothie sized straw. ddeuddeg can't wait to see me trying to get out the door with two mugs: one for my coffee, one smoothie oh, and somewhere in my other bags, my water bottle~ Ugh!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Just another plug for Vegas, baby, Vegas weekend coming up in 10ish days.

bahwm

bahwm wrote:Have a good first real day back. Remember: It's all about the kids!

bhodilee wrote:This flies directly in the face of my life philosophy!

From last week's pub, but posted in response to my comment. bowtie, I know what you mean. Maybe I should have said we do it all for the kids. We do all that we can do so that they can learn well--despite all the crap that goes on. I am so unhappy about having to teach all five of my classes on a cart. I do not even know how many rooms I will be in yet, and whose rooms these will be. Last year, our Assistant Principal, now our Principal said that we should not be in more than two rooms. Yeah, right. I will be teaching Periods 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8 at this point. I cannot see one room being free, at that time of day, for three periods in a row. Then, for 6 & 8, no matter how or where, I still have to pack up my cart and leave whatever room I will be in! I will be spending my entire day packing and unpacking! What a waste of time!

Last week, I already started my back to school anxiety sleeplessness. All of this uncertainty doesn't help. I need to find a way to personalize my cart and make it efficient so that my students have access to work for when they were absent; the current days' work and then, for me, all of the stuff that I need to make my class run smoothly. I also do not know if I will be teaching in classrooms with some kind of "smart board" or not, or a mix of classrooms where I might need to use overheads in some and "smart boards" in others. Whatever it takes, I have to be the best teacher possible for my students. I have to get them excited about learning French and keep that excitement and their interested going, despite all of the obstacles that are put in my way.

Last year, during my formal observation, one of the kids asked a question which lent itself perfectly to going to the back of the room to point out something on the map of France that I had there. I referred to that moment during my post-ob conference. I mentioned that that was one of those teachable moments that allowed me to EASILY use the map in the back of my room to illustrate whatever was asked. Traveling, I won't have a large wall map of France in every room. If I can find one that I really find as useful as that one for my computer, I would still need to boot it up and take more time.

OK. Enough of that. As teachers, as parents, I think we want to do what is best for our kids so that they can become the best that they can be--a little cliché, but I think it works. Off to shower and our dance lesson--maybe some salsa or samba will help!

EDIT: Urg! I tried to post in the new pub and it wound up here! Sorry! I'll try to post it over there!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

ddeuddeg

chipgreen: PM for you.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
ddeuddeg wrote:Cross-posted from current offer thread:
Bet against any fix today. The last offer that shipped to NY was last Monday. Since then, nothing, and nobody will say why. I've seen nothing in the news about any changes, the Ship Compliant Blog to which the list of shipping states directs us says nothing about any changes. Either there have been regulation changes, or there haven't. If there have been changes, WCC knows about it, and knows what the changes are, but nobody will talk about it here. All you get today is some lame apology and a suggestion that there will be "further details soon." That's the first real reply since WD came on last Tuesday, telling us to stay tuned. After finding little on wine.woot that interested me for some time, they come up with at least 3 offers in the past 6 days that I'd place orders for without thinking twice, but no dice. I've had several offers to wootleg (ranging from a 4 hour drive to a 7 hour plane flight away), but I'm not about to prevail on my friends indefinitely, especially with no answers forthcoming. I feel like I'm beating a dead horse here, so I'll end my rant with a promise not to come back to this subject until I see something new and meaningful on the matter.

My guess is a different interpretation of an existing regulation by one side or the other. No problem, we can count on lawyers and bureaucrats to get it resolved quickly.

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
ddeuddeg wrote:chipgreen: PM for you.

I don't think he follows the pub very closely, but he does check his PM's regularly, so you should be good either way.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

North316

UBlink wrote:My guess is a different interpretation of an existing regulation by one side or the other. No problem, we can count on lawyers and bureaucrats to get it resolved quickly.

I agree with this assessment. And based on the reaction, it is a WCC liability issue, meaning they would be pretty stupid to admit any culpability openly in a public forum before ALL of the facts are straight.

My CT

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:From last week's pub, but posted in response to my comment. bowtie, I know what you mean. Maybe I should have said we do it all for the kids. We do all that we can do so that they can learn well--despite all the crap that goes on. I am so unhappy about having to teach all five of my classes on a cart. I do not even know how many rooms I will be in yet, and whose rooms these will be. Last year, our Assistant Principal, now our Principal said that we should not be in more than two rooms. Yeah, right. I will be teaching Periods 2, 3, 4, 6 & 8 at this point. I cannot see one room being free, at that time of day, for three periods in a row. Then, for 6 & 8, no matter how or where, I still have to pack up my cart and leave whatever room I will be in! I will be spending my entire day packing and unpacking! What a waste of time!

Last week, I already started my back to school anxiety sleeplessness. All of this uncertainty doesn't help. I need to find a way to personalize my cart and make it efficient so that my students have access to work for when they were absent; the current days' work and then, for me, all of the stuff that I need to make my class run smoothly. I also do not know if I will be teaching in classrooms with some kind of "smart board" or not, or a mix of classrooms where I might need to use overheads in some and "smart boards" in others. Whatever it takes, I have to be the best teacher possible for my students. I have to get them excited about learning French and keep that excitement and their interested going, despite all of the obstacles that are put in my way.

Last year, during my formal observation, one of the kids asked a question which lent itself perfectly to going to the back of the room to point out something on the map of France that I had there. I referred to that moment during my post-ob conference. I mentioned that that was one of those teachable moments that allowed me to EASILY use the map in the back of my room to illustrate whatever was asked. Traveling, I won't have a large wall map of France in every room. If I can find one that I really find as useful as that one for my computer, I would still need to boot it up and take more time.

OK. Enough of that. As teachers, as parents, I think we want to do what is best for our kids so that they can become the best that they can be--a little cliché, but I think it works. Off to shower and our dance lesson--maybe some salsa or samba will help!

EDIT: Urg! I tried to post in the new pub and it wound up here! Sorry! I'll try to post it over there!

MERDE!

Not surprisingly, about the only French I know.

polarbear22

quality posts: 35 Private Messages polarbear22
ddeuddeg wrote:Cross-posted from current offer thread:

Call if you want a wootleg. Plan to order this later today myself.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
Please donate to the 2014 MS Bike Ride
Want to read what SonomaBouliste has to say about wine?
Ddeuddeg Cheesecake Cookbook
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

North316 wrote:I don't think he follows the pub very closely, but he does check his PM's regularly, so you should be good either way.

That's what I figured. Thanks.

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:Call if you want a wootleg. Plan to order this later today myself.

Thanks. I won't wait too much longer. Wouldn't want it to sell out on me. No need for you to wait for me, though, unless you meant to include mine with yours to save shipping. I was thinking if I were going to wootleg, I might order some woot plus stuff at the same time. The Chard looks like something I can't resist.

ddeuddeg

North316 wrote:I agree with this assessment. And based on the reaction, it is a WCC liability issue, meaning they would be pretty stupid to admit any culpability openly in a public forum before ALL of the facts are straight.

I agree, too, except for the part where he said we can count on the lawyers and bureaucrats to get it resolved quickly. Either he forgot we were talking about NY, or the folks in TX are unaware of how dysfunctional the politicians are hereabouts, or (most likely) that was totally tongue-in-cheek.
EDIT: Before someone gets on my case about revisiting a subject I promised to drop, this post is about gently harassing UBlink, not about something else which I won't mention.

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:Thanks. I won't wait too much longer. Wouldn't want it to sell out on me. No need for you to wait for me, though, unless you meant to include mine with yours to save shipping. I was thinking if I were going to wootleg, I might order some woot plus stuff at the same time. The Chard looks like something I can't resist.

That is mostly what I am doing, looking at the plus offers. Either way, you know you have the green light, like always.

Polar bears are meant to be clever, very clever. They are the Einsteins of the bear community. - Anonymous
My Cellar

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:That is mostly what I am doing, looking at the plus offers. Either way, you know you have the green light, like always.

Don't need to call, then. Thanks. I'll let you know if I decide to send anything your way. Good excuse to make a trip east sometime this fall.

polarbear22

ddeuddeg wrote:Don't need to call, then. Thanks. I'll let you know if I decide to send anything your way. Good excuse to make a trip east sometime this fall.

I ordered the case with the KR PS. Would love to have you visit, since we did not make it to Buffalo.

My Cellar

polarbear22

Bowtie and Doc O - smoking a chicken tonight. First one. Pairing it with some Conundrum. Drolling already.

Prepping with pineapple infused rum.

My Cellar

ddeuddeg

polarbear22 wrote:Bowtie and Doc O - smoking a chicken tonight. First one. Pairing it with some Conundrum. Drolling already.

White Conundrum, I assume. We've liked each of the several vintages we've had. Haven't tried the red version yet.

Wine on its way to you. Thanks. Get-together sounds like a great idea.

otolith

quality posts: 24 Private Messages otolith
polarbear22 wrote:Bowtie and Doc O - smoking a chicken tonight. First one. Pairing it with some Conundrum. Drolling already.

Yum!

Love the Conundrum, too.

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

otolith

UBlink wrote:My guess is a different interpretation of an existing regulation by one side or the other. No problem, we can count on lawyers and bureaucrats to get it resolved quickly.

Funniest thing I've read all day!

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the universe."
--John Muir

rjquillin

quality posts: 184 Private Messages rjquillin
otolith wrote:Love the Conundrum, too.

Conundrum generally available here at Costco. Was gifted a 2010 bottle during the holidays and drank in January. Couldn't put my finger on what it was so I looked up the blend. Can't find the 2010 now, replaced with the 2011, but as I recall it had a bit of everything, attempting to appeal to everyone, and I just didn't much care for it.
I'd take Peters Duchess with it's blend of even more grapes over the white Conundrum, especially if price is considered.

CT

otolith

rjquillin wrote:Conundrum generally available here at Costco. Was gifted a 2010 bottle during the holidays and drank in January. Couldn't put my finger on what it was so I looked up the blend. Can't find the 2010 now, replaced with the 2011, but as I recall it had a bit of everything, attempting to appeal to everyone, and I just didn't much care for it.
I'd take Peters Duchess with it's blend of even more grapes over the white Conundrum, especially if price is considered.

It's easier for you to get the Duchess than it is for me, and I only occasionally drink whites, so the Conundrum at $20 seems to work fine for us.

--John Muir

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bahwm wrote:From last week's pub,

I can understand your frustration!! Can you have a small magnetic map on your cart? I am totally dumbfounded by what the "powers that be" have decided what/how it should be taught! Our curriculum changes EVERY year! I stayed late today (without pay) and still didn't get done what I wanted to! I am hoping to stay about 2 hours after school tomorrow to get things done... I actually had a teacher if I was kidding about them not going into an area I am attempting to straighten out a @$% mess!!!! I told all the teachers, touch what I am working on and die!yes, I do this for the kids... I hope I can make a positive difference in at least one childs life.....
rant over...

polarbear22

Smoked chicken was great. Took it off a little early, so we ate the breasts and left the thigh/legs for another night. Great match with the Conundrum (white, as you all assumed). The off-dry wine was great with the smoked chicken.

My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 159 Private Messages cortot20
North316 wrote:I agree with this assessment. And based on the reaction, it is a WCC liability issue, meaning they would be pretty stupid to admit any culpability openly in a public forum before ALL of the facts are straight.

Looking at some the activity on the front page of the ny liquor board it looks like an attempt to severly limit the ability of third parties to conduct transactions in the state. So much for letting free markets prevail.

CT

rjquillin

mommadeb1 wrote:I am totally dumbfounded by what the "powers that be" have decided what/how it should be taught! Our curriculum changes EVERY year!

Is this at all due in part to what seems to be the controversial "common core curriculum" that has been creating conservative-libertarian buzz now for some time?

CT

rjquillin

cortot20 wrote:Looking at some the activity on the front page of the ny liquor board it looks like an attempt to severly limit the ability of third parties to conduct transactions in the state. So much for letting free markets prevail.

Wouldn't that be rather similar to what happened in VA as well?

CT

UBlink

quality posts: 19 Private Messages UBlink
otolith wrote:Funniest thing I've read all day!

Following the eight word profile, political economy in eight words:
Ain't no free lunch - them what has gets.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
cortot20 wrote:Looking at some the activity on the front page of the ny liquor board it looks like an attempt to severly limit the ability of third parties to conduct transactions in the state. So much for letting free markets prevail.

What are you referring to? I saw the 'Internet' stuff as a response to a request from ShipCompliant, but it specifically does not address the WCC direct from the winery model, just the Internet 3 tier model.

If someone needs a CT wootlegger, I'm also available of course.

mother

quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
otolith wrote:Funniest thing I've read all day!

+1

polarbear22 wrote:Smoked chicken was great. Took it off a little early, so we ate the breasts and left the thigh/legs for another night. Great match with the Conundrum (white, as you all assumed). The off-dry wine was great with the smoked chicken.

Sounds wonderful!

ddeuddeg

mother wrote:If someone needs a CT wootlegger, I'm also available of course.

Thanks for the offer. SWMBO got to worrying about a sellout, so I'm having it shipped to polarbear this time. It occurs to me that we could have fun touring the Northeast, gathering up our wootlegged wine. Better put the SIWBM back in place. The Rasmussen and Smith offers caved it in temporarily.

North316

ddeuddeg wrote:That's what I figured. Thanks.

Just an FYI, in case he didn't reply, I can always text him if you need his attention. I'm guessing he got back to you, but I'm guessing you also don't need him anymore since PB offered to wootleg, though you still owe him the Orange Crusher, of which he owes me one .

My CT

bahwm

North316 wrote:Just an FYI, in case he didn't reply, I can always text him if you need his attention. I'm guessing he got back to you, but I'm guessing you also don't need him anymore since PB offered to wootleg, though you still owe him the Orange Crusher, of which he owes me one .

Awesome!

ddeuddeg

North316 wrote:Just an FYI, in case he didn't reply, I can always text him if you need his attention. I'm guessing he got back to you, but I'm guessing you also don't need him anymore since PB offered to wootleg, though you still owe him the Orange Crusher, of which he owes me one .

I forgot, he may be vacationing in Florida. No problem, as you noted PB took care of it for me this time. When chip gets back in the loop, we'll have to figure out a way to get that OC to him. Maybe meet up in Erie, PA for dinner or something.