2010 Ty's Red, Sonoma Valley, Caton Vineyard
CT link above

Winery website

Previous offer:
5/15/12

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman

quality posts: 119 Private Messages klezman

Sad that Ty has priced himself out of my stratosphere. Love his wines.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

nathanbsmith

quality posts: 3 Private Messages nathanbsmith

In for 3+. Love this wine!

Speed to first woot: 1m 56.882s
First sucker: mill
Last wooter to woot: nathanbsmith
Last purchase: 2 minutes ago

LAST PURCHASE: Creminelli Italian Salami

2014: 1 (Thanks to stick-in-the-mud buzzkilling state legislators)

2013: 183 bottles and counting
2012: 74 bottles
2011: 38 bottles

My CT

PhilSandifer

quality posts: 17 Private Messages PhilSandifer
klezman wrote:Sad that Ty has priced himself out of my stratosphere. Love his wines.

$20 a bottle is stratospheric for you?

Talk to me about drinking windows I've yet to try Caton because I'm lazy and don't like giving too much cellar space to bottles that need aging, but this should probably change.

OoWillz

quality posts: 3 Private Messages OoWillz

What Black Magic is this? Not shipping to New York?

I now know the pain that my wine woot brethren feel...

klezman

PhilSandifer wrote:$20 a bottle is stratospheric for you?

Talk to me about drinking windows I've yet to try Caton because I'm lazy and don't like giving too much cellar space to bottles that need aging, but this should probably change.

Well, $60 + $7 shipping + tax ~ $24/bottle. For wine that I think fair *retail* is about $20-22. So no, not stratospheric, but for almost $25 there's a whole lot of wine I think is significantly better value. Obviously YMMV, and I mostly hope Ty sees this and either starts letting his prices come back down or gives us wooters better discounts

2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon

quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
PhilSandifer wrote:$20 a bottle is stratospheric for you?

I think the general rule of thumb is that Ty's wines are best at least 5 years from vintage and probably before 15 or so.

I got the 2009 version of this wine back in 2011 and found that it was getting into a really good phase just this year.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

cortot20

quality posts: 130 Private Messages cortot20

This offer shipped to SoCal is $24 a bottle.
I bought the 2010 here in 2012 for $18 a bottle.
2009 vintage $18 a bottle
2008 vintage $18 a bottle.

In past years this has been a descent deal but not now. It's an easy pass.

CT

klezman

cmaldoon wrote:I think the general rule of thumb is that Ty's wines are best at least 5 years from vintage and probably before 15 or so.

I got the 2009 version of this wine back in 2011 and found that it was getting into a really good phase just this year.

Agreed - I've just started working on my stash of 2008's. They're doing nicely, and the older TyTaniums are also doing well.

maitredgreg2

quality posts: 1 Private Messages maitredgreg2
klezman wrote:Agreed - I've just started working on my stash of 2008's. They're doing nicely, and the older TyTaniums are also doing well.

Thanks for the info, because I've had the wine makers cuvée 2010 & 2011 and both were good, also had the Petite Sirah, which needs time in the bottle. Plus the prices were better at WTSO, so I'll pass on this one. Thanks again🍷💤

BobSav

quality posts: 1 Private Messages BobSav

Been waiting for a Ty for a while in for 3

inkwench

quality posts: 1 Private Messages inkwench
BobSav wrote:Been waiting for a Ty for a while in for 3

Wish I could buy this, but just last week I bought a set of Tytanium--don't have the money for both in one month!

In inverse and not complete order. Rinfrescante. Pepper Bridge. Saxon Brown. Monkey Prize. Vina Robles. Ty Caton Tytanium (always!). Roshambo. Polyphemus. Donati Family. Poizon. Montinore. Kent Rasumussen. Mumm Napa. Boss Monster. Iron Horse. Albino Rhino. White Zeppelin, Buttonwood Farm, 8-Bit, Ty Caton Racchus, Twas!

randysanders

quality posts: 4 Private Messages randysanders
OoWillz wrote:What Black Magic is this? Not shipping to New York?

WT? This was an Autobuy for me...in NY!

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
cortot20 wrote:This offer shipped to SoCal is $24 a bottle.

In past years this has been a descent deal but not now. It's an easy pass.

Agreed. IF I were to buy some Ty juice, it would be the winemakers cuvee that is $20 per bottle with free shipping on WTSO.

Not sure if this is a Woot issue, or a Ty issue, but this is not much of a deal at all. With that said, it looks like people are still buying, so Woot/Ty will still feel completely justified.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

sdilullo

quality posts: 36 Private Messages sdilullo

We received a couple bottles of this from Ty as a replacement for some messed-up bottles of Racchus.

If I'm being honest, it's a pass at this price. Especially when you consider we've had the Racchus blends (which, regardless of list price, I consider on-par or slightly better than this) for $13-$14/btl here in the past.

Although it paired nicely with slow-roasted beef, potatoes, and asparagus I'd have a hard time saying "buy, buy, buy!" for >$15/btl.

my CT | bottles wooted to date: 249
my flying adventures | a mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway will take you anywhere.

TyCaton

quality posts: 48 Private Messages TyCaton

I don't understand the NY shipping issue, we have a permit there and ship all the time.

/tycaton/

TyCaton

klezman wrote:Sad that Ty has priced himself out of my stratosphere. Love his wines.

Klezman, I haven't raise the price of this wine since 2008 vintage.

/tycaton/

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
TyCaton wrote:Klezman, I haven't raise the price of this wine since 2008 vintage.

He is referring to the woot price, not your retail prices.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

Shabs42

quality posts: 0 Private Messages Shabs42
TyCaton wrote:Klezman, I haven't raise the price of this wine since 2008 vintage.

Is this different than the offering from 5/15/12? That one was $49.99 for a three pack.

dianefreda

quality posts: 9 Private Messages dianefreda
nathanbsmith wrote:In for 3+. Love this wine!

Speed to first woot: 1m 56.882s
First sucker: mill
Last wooter to woot: nathanbsmith
Last purchase: 2 minutes ago

I love Ty's stuff too and first sucker "Mill" that always speaks volumns - you won't go wrong here.

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 26 Private Messages ddeuddeg
TyCaton wrote:I don't understand the NY shipping issue, we have a permit there and ship all the time.

Maybe an oversight. Hopefully, they'll investigate and correct it.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

tenoreprimo

quality posts: 5 Private Messages tenoreprimo

I have enjoyed Ty's wines but this deal is no deal. With outstanding Spanish reds at $12-$18/bottle you get a superior wine at a lower price.

fredrinaldi

quality posts: 33 Private Messages fredrinaldi

I'm waiting for the woot off, (need some Copa Cab.......... sarcasm intended .. )

ddeuddeg

cortot20 wrote:This offer shipped to SoCal is $24 a bottle.

In past years this has been a decent deal but not now. It's an easy pass.

Talk about pain. Feel mine. As a member of Ty's wine club, I paid $25.60 + tax + shipping ($17.75 for 2 bottles) for the 2009 Red Blend, and here's the 2010 for far less. I'm sure I have a bottle of the 2010, but it was the '09 I could put my hands on, and it's representative of the pricing structure. It's not the first time I've seen something I bought as a TC club member show up here or on another site at a significantly lower price, once just a week after the club shipment arrived. And I can't even buy this one.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

klezman

ddeuddeg wrote:Talk about pain. Feel mine. As a member of Ty's wine club, I paid $25.60 + tax + shipping ($17.75 for 2 bottles) for the 2009 Red Blend, and here's the 2010 for far less. I'm sure I have a bottle of the 2010, but it was the '09 I could put my hands on, and it's representative of the pricing structure. It's not the first time I've seen something I bought as a TC club member show up here or on another site at a significantly lower price, once just a week after the club shipment arrived. And I can't even buy this one.

a) That sucks
b) This is why woot deals or local pickup are the only way to get Ty's wine, imo. Shipping kills most winery deals. That's why I'm looking forward to raiding the cellar at TO in a couple weeks!

sdwindansea

quality posts: 3 Private Messages sdwindansea
fredrinaldi wrote:I'm waiting for the woot off, (need some Copa Cab.......... sarcasm intended .. )

Definitely get the sarcasm . On a more serious note, there are usually some really good items in the woot off, it is just too expensive now since shipping is no longer combined.

avontron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avontron

Every time my wife or I gets a cold we have a bottle of Ty's wine and the cold goes away. Not even kidding.

In for 2.

ddeuddeg

klezman wrote:a) That sucks
b) This is why woot deals or local pickup are the only way to get Ty's wine, imo. Shipping kills most winery deals. That's why I'm looking forward to raiding the cellar at TO in a couple weeks!

As you realize, local pickup is even less an option for me than it is for you. For some reason, Ty's shipping is worse than most. And some of my wine clubs, SH in particular, occasionally offer deals that include reduced shipping.
And today, my SIWBM remains intact.

SmilingBoognish

quality posts: 46 Private Messages SmilingBoognish
North316 wrote:Not sure if this is a Woot issue, or a Ty issue, but this is not much of a deal at all. With that said, it looks like people are still buying, so Woot/Ty will still feel completely justified.

I certainly don't begrudge anybody for making money, particularly the fine folks at Woot, but I do sorely miss the days of one offer a week and some truly great deals.

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
Shabs42 wrote:Is this different than the offering from 5/15/12? That one was $49.99 for a three pack.

It's the same except for today's higher price and that is what has people complaining.

ddeuddeg

chipgreen wrote:It's the same except for today's higher price and that is what has people complaining.

Actually, there's more to complain about. The winemaker himself posted that he doesn't know why NY is not on the list, since he ships here all the time, and nobody from the mothership has even bothered to respond. They keep making it easier to resist buying.

rjquillin

quality posts: 167 Private Messages rjquillin
ddeuddeg wrote:Actually, there's more to complain about. The winemaker himself posted that he doesn't know why NY is not on the list, since he ships here all the time, and nobody from the mothership has even bothered to respond. They keep making it easier to resist buying.

TT must be taking the day off, or got reassigned. She'd be all over this after the first comment.

CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 176 Private Messages chipgreen
ddeuddeg wrote:Actually, there's more to complain about. The winemaker himself posted that he doesn't know why NY is not on the list, since he ships here all the time, and nobody from the mothership has even bothered to respond. They keep making it easier to resist buying.

PM for you

bearwife

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bearwife

I am never going to forget the first time I tried a Ty Caton red. Ergo I leapt on this offer as soon as I saw it. Wonderful stuff.

kylemittskus

quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus

I approve of this message.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

Winedavid39

quality posts: 196 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

I've been wringing my hands all day over this.

For now, NY is temporarily off the overall wine.woot state list. I'm all over it like a cheap suit. so stay tuned.

ddeuddeg

Winedavid39 wrote:I've been wringing my hands all day over this.

For now, NY is temporarily off the overall wine.woot state list. I'm all over it like a cheap suit. so stay tuned.

WD, your concern is greatly appreciated. Looking forward to seeing you and winefarm, and whoever else is coming to the wootception next week.

bedordb

quality posts: 1 Private Messages bedordb

Can somebody tell me if this is a sweet or bitter red?

TyCaton

bedordb wrote:Can somebody tell me if this is a sweet or bitter red?

It's neither sweet nor bitter. It's very approachable and friendly with good fruit and oak balance. The magic is the interaction between the varietals that come together to make a crowd pleasing wine.

/tycaton/