JOATMON

quality posts: 19 Private Messages JOATMON

Mawage. Mawage is wot bwings us togeder tooday. Mawage, that bwessed awangment, that dweam wifin a dweam ... And wuv, tru wuv, will fowow you foweva ... So tweasure your wuv.

Juvie: 30+24+4; Sellout: 6+7+0
Rags: 3+2+3
Drunk: 69+94+15 wine, 20+29+4 non-wine
Rugrat: 0+0+0; Refunded: 2+3+1
(as of 2011-03-02)

MarkDaSpark

quality posts: 187 Private Messages MarkDaSpark

MarkDaSpark wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area.

New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of August 05

Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

August
8/10: Omaha #1: Is there critical mass?
8/10: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #27 - If we open them, he will come
8/10: Chicago: Cocktails in the Garden
8/24: The Wootception!!!

September
9/7: NorCal #20: NorCal + SoCal -- PS Night
9/7: {url=http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5518458&pageindex=1&replycount=0] Dallas/Fort Worth--September 7th[/url]
9/28: SoCal #28: Sparky & zTimBz OC Wine Locker Redux

October
Late Oct: October Trip to Taldeschi, Hawley & Handal

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room

No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.

So join or create a WW Gathering!

Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Which movie? The original Swedish movie, or the American version?

Saw part of original (had to run out), and all of the American version.

Liked both versions, and they didn't do a butcher's job on the American version, like sometimes happens.

But I think both versions were pretty graphic at times.

*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

MarkDaSpark

JOATMON wrote:Wine.Woot is now the second from the last tab on the list of tabs. One misstep, and it may fall off the end...

And we missed the Bundles of Crayons in the Back To School "Basics (Of Course) section!!!

MarkDaSpark

And of course I'm tempted by both the QFX BT PA Speaker (with Mic!) and the TDK Sound Cube!

Help me!!

MarkDaSpark

Happy Birthday to lauratchi!! And belated to richardhod and alexa84!

Happy Birthday to lauratchi!! And belated to richardhod and alexa84!!!!

☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆ ★ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
╔╗╔╦══╦═╦═╦╗╔╗ ★ ★ ★
║╚╝║══║═║═║╚╝║ ☆¸.•°*”˜˜”*°•.¸☆
║╔╗║╔╗║╔╣╔╩╗╔╝ ★ ☆ BIRTHDAY !!
╚╝╚╩╝╚╩╝╚╝═╚╝ ♥¥☆★☆★☆¥♥ ★☆

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
MarkDaSpark wrote:And we missed the Bundles of Crayons in the Back To School "Basics (Of Course) section!!!

I saw it around 1am my time.. got all excited, was able to click to order...then.....sold out.... oh well, at least I saw it this time!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

JOATMON wrote:Wine.Woot is now the second from the last tab on the list of tabs. One misstep, and it may fall off the end...

That's actually better than being lost in the middle. Actors want to be listed first or last. That's why you see "and xxxxxxx" at the end of cast credits.

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

bhodilee

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bhodilee
ThunderThighs wrote:That's actually better than being lost in the middle. Actors want to be listed first or last. That's why you see "and xxxxxxx" at the end of cast credits.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

– George Bernard Shaw, author (1856-1950)

bhodilee

Is it wrong to wish Ill on your family? If so, is it ok to wish they'd just move away, like far enough away that you don't have to see them, not even for holidays?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

ddeuddeg

quality posts: 32 Private Messages ddeuddeg
bhodilee wrote:Is it wrong to wish Ill on your family? If so, is it ok to wish they'd just move away, like far enough away that you don't have to see them, not even for holidays?

Be careful what you wish for, you may get it, and not necessarily in the form you expected.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne

Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

HitAnyKey42

quality posts: 29 Private Messages HitAnyKey42
bhodilee wrote:Is it wrong to wish Ill on your family? If so, is it ok to wish they'd just move away, like far enough away that you don't have to see them, not even for holidays?

Just go on over to them and give 'em a big ole hug. You'll feel better about everything...

....wait, look who I'm talking to.

Just go on over to them and give 'em a big smack on the back of the head. You'll feel better about everything...

My Cellar
In a Glorious Marriage.Woot with cheron98
NYC Tastings

chemvictim

quality posts: 3 Private Messages chemvictim

Yes, it's wrong. You could always move far away from them if you felt like it, but you'd miss them.

bhodilee

chemvictim wrote:Yes, it's wrong. You could always move far away from them if you felt like it, but you'd miss them.

Honestly, I wouldn't miss them for one second. I truly wouldn't. I don't have time in my life for people who suck. This particular part of my family, sucks. When we go somewhere and I see their cars, my eye instantly starts to twitch and I get angry.

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk

Michelle has a one timezone rule for family...

bhodilee

joelsisk wrote:Michelle has a one timezone rule for family...

Your wife is the smartest woman on the planet. I like this rule and may adopt it. Now the question is East or West?

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
joelsisk wrote:Michelle has a one timezone rule for family...

I would think a longitudinal or latitudinal based distance of separation would be more effective. Different time zones can actually be very close together, unless of course you mean one timezone inbetween, and not just one timezone away.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

joelsisk

quality posts: 10 Private Messages joelsisk
North316 wrote:I would think a longitudinal or latitudinal based distance of separation would be more effective. Different time zones can actually be very close together, unless of course you mean one timezone inbetween, and not just one timezone away.

right. was that an African or a European swallow...?

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm

I bought a couple of avocados & some kale at the market on Sat. One of avocados was just nicely ripe and so I decided to search smoothie recipes. My niece and some of you have mentioned putting kale into smoothies. OK, so my smoothie looked something like this: 2 frozen bananas; about a cup of cut up kale; one avocado; about a cup of frozen blueberries; a cup & a half of orange juice and about a 1 3/4 cups of water and put it on the smoothie setting of the blender. This provided us with two large servings. It was really good, but I just have a bit of a difficult time getting used to "chewing" my drink! I put all of the ingredients into a nutrition website that gives calorie and nutrition info on all food that you choose. This turned out to have about 315 calories and 11.5 grams of fiber! A half cup of kale is loaded with Vitamins A & C! Kale is so underrated--poor thing!

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:I bought a couple of avocados & some kale at the market on Sat. One of avocados was just nicely ripe and so I decided to search smoothie recipes. My niece and some of you have mentioned putting kale into smoothies. OK, so my smoothie looked something like this: 2 frozen bananas; about a cup of cut up kale; one avocado; about a cup of frozen blueberries; a cup & a half of orange juice and about a 1 3/4 cups of water and put it on the smoothie setting of the blender. This provided us with two large servings. It was really good, but I just have a bit of a difficult time getting used to "chewing" my drink! I put all of the ingredients into a nutrition website that gives calorie and nutrition info on all food that you choose. This turned out to have about 315 calories and 11.5 grams of fiber! A half cup of kale is loaded with Vitamins A & C! Kale is so underrated--poor thing!

IT IS! Though from what I understand you want to steam it lightly to unlock all the goodness in it. May not be true, but some hippie told me that.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:IT IS! Though from what I understand you want to steam it lightly to unlock all the goodness in it. May not be true, but some hippie told me that.

Hippies are known for "lightly steaming" greenery to "unlock goodness"...

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:Hippies are known for "lightly steaming" greenery to "unlock goodness"...

Anyone with hair is a hippie to me.

rjquillin

quality posts: 182 Private Messages rjquillin
cheron98 wrote:Hippies are known for "lightly steaming" greenery to "unlock goodness"...

Only before turning it to ash! To recycle of course.

CT

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman
joelsisk wrote:right. was that an African or a European swallow...?

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

klezman

quality posts: 129 Private Messages klezman

True, but interesting real question in there. I eat plenty of kale these days...anybody know the real answer? I'm sometimes too lazy too use the googles.

2014: 42 bottles. Last wine.woot: 2012 Iron Horse Estate Chardonnay
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
klezman wrote:True, but interesting real question in there. I eat plenty of kale these days...anybody know the real answer? I'm sometimes too lazy too use the googles.

Boiling it would probably cause some of the vitamins and minerals to leach into the water. I doubt that steaming "unlocks the goodness" so much as prevents it from being lost during the cooking process.

bhodilee

klezman wrote:True, but interesting real question in there. I eat plenty of kale these days...anybody know the real answer? I'm sometimes too lazy too use the googles.

WebMD:
Beyond antioxidants, the fiber content of cruciferous kale binds bile acids and helps lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease, especially when kale is cooked instead of raw

Worlds healthiest foods .com
What's New and Beneficial About Kale

Kale can provide you with some special cholesterol-lowering benefits if you will cook it by steaming. The fiber-related components in kale do a better job of binding together with bile acids in your digestive tract when they've been steamed. When this binding process takes place, it's easier for bile acids to be excreted, and the result is a lowering of your cholesterol levels. Raw kale still has cholesterol-lowering ability—just not as much

zTimothyBz

quality posts: 2 Private Messages zTimothyBz
chipgreen wrote:Boiling it would probably cause some of the vitamins and minerals to leach into the water. I doubt that steaming "unlocks the goodness" so much as prevents it from being lost during the cooking process.

Steaming broccoli "unlocks the goodness" in the sense that it become more pleasant for me to eat.

Official holder of unofficial, unauthorized, non-woot gatherings.
My cellar

MarkDaSpark

zTimothyBz wrote:Steaming broccoli "unlocks the goodness" in the sense that it become more pleasant for me to eat.

You can steam broccoli all you want ... it's never going to be pleasant for me!

bahwm

quality posts: 32 Private Messages bahwm
bhodilee wrote:WebMD:
Beyond antioxidants, the fiber content of cruciferous kale binds bile acids and helps lower blood cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease, especially when kale is cooked instead of raw

Worlds healthiest foods .com
What's New and Beneficial About Kale

Kale can provide you with some special cholesterol-lowering benefits if you will cook it by steaming. The fiber-related components in kale do a better job of binding together with bile acids in your digestive tract when they've been steamed. When this binding process takes place, it's easier for bile acids to be excreted, and the result is a lowering of your cholesterol levels. Raw kale still has cholesterol-lowering ability—just not as much

Thanks, bowtie, for all of that info. I always think of smoothies as being made with cold or at least room temperature ingredients. Steaming a veggie for a smoothie still doesn't seem to work in my brain. Would one steam the kale in advance and then, pop it in the smoothie machine or put it in warm-ish. Another thought: if one were to sauté the washed kale in a bit of olive oil, is that still considered steaming?

May our love be like good wine, grow stronger as it grows older. ~ Old English Toast

bhodilee

bahwm wrote:Thanks, bowtie, for all of that info. I always think of smoothies as being made with cold or at least room temperature ingredients. Steaming a veggie for a smoothie still doesn't seem to work in my brain. Would one steam the kale in advance and then, pop it in the smoothie machine or put it in warm-ish. Another thought: if one were to sauté the washed kale in a bit of olive oil, is that still considered steaming?

your other ingredients would cool it down so you can steam then put in. Basically, you just need to cook it to get the benefit. Boiling is no good cause the nutrients are in the water, but as long as you eat the oil and the kale, and I'm sure you would in this scenario, you're retaining everything you want. Probably don't want to cook it to long though. I think heat nullifies certain things (though I have no proof it's anything in Kale that would be nullified by long cooking).

Edit: Also, this is my one time a year helpful moment. It took me 8 months, but I got there.

cheron98

quality posts: 123 Private Messages cheron98
bhodilee wrote:your other ingredients would cool it down so you can steam then put in. Basically, you just need to cook it to get the benefit. Boiling is no good cause the nutrients are in the water, but as long as you eat the oil and the kale, and I'm sure you would in this scenario, you're retaining everything you want. Probably don't want to cook it to long though. I think heat nullifies certain things (though I have no proof it's anything in Kale that would be nullified by long cooking).

Edit: Also, this is my one time a year helpful moment. It took me 8 months, but I got there.

Helpful bowtie.
Spiritual bowtie.
Insightful bowtie.

... who are you and what have you done with our bowtie???

I saw HitAnyKey42 on wine.woot! and clicked "I want one!"

bhodilee

cheron98 wrote:Helpful bowtie.
Spiritual bowtie.
Insightful bowtie.

... who are you and what have you done with our bowtie???

CRAP! I forgot about last week!

WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MY KARMA????

mommadeb1

quality posts: 18 Private Messages mommadeb1
bhodilee wrote:CRAP! I forgot about last week!

WHAT HAVE I DONE TO MY KARMA????

banked a few extra points?

bhodilee

mommadeb1 wrote:banked a few extra points?

CRAP!

ThunderThighs

quality posts: 604 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

bhodilee wrote:CRAP!

FORUM MODERATOR
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except orders with Woot-Off or expedited items

chipgreen

quality posts: 202 Private Messages chipgreen
ThunderThighs wrote:

Instant Karma got him. Knocked him right off his feet.

MarkDaSpark

Amazon has BSG: The Complete Series on sale for 70% off Blu-ray (and DVD). So tempted by it.

But it was so disappointing at times!

What to do?

bhodilee

MarkDaSpark wrote:Amazon has BSG: The Complete Series on sale for 70% off Blu-ray (and DVD). So tempted by it.

But it was so disappointing at times!

What to do?

not watch the disappointing parts and enjoy the rest?

MarkDaSpark

bhodilee wrote:not watch the disappointing parts and enjoy the rest?

Being helpful again?? Who are you and what have you done with bowtie?????