WootBot

quality posts: 15 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Quality Posts

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

Darn, was hoping to see some Crusher wines here other than the Orange. Oh well, money saved. Another long week to wait for more disappointment.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

jcarlton03

quality posts: 6 Private Messages jcarlton03

I will be paying close attention to any tasting notes from the first time it was offered. I keep dreaming that some more of the 2010 will pop up because that was a personal favorite of mine (even though the woot community wiped it off the planet when it was offered). The 2011 I really did not like nearly as much.

It's great to be a Florida Gator!

wordek

quality posts: 23 Private Messages wordek

I have to say I really enjoyed the 2010 mixed blend and the 2011 orange chardonnay - I think with all wines this goes along with the style you are after. If you want something different - a white wine with hints of red flavors and different complexity - then this is for you. If you usually drink reds but occasionally enjoy 'bigger' whites - then this might be that red-drinkers white wine for you. If traditional styles of white wine are more your vein... than probably not.

Another tip - even though the color would indicate that these might benefit from being chilled, they actually drink much better at a warm/room/red wine temperature!

kylemittskus

quality posts: 231 Private Messages kylemittskus

I'd like the three pack, but a) SIWBM and b) $20 per after shipping and tax is a little steep and c) SIWBM.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

chipgreen

quality posts: 197 Private Messages chipgreen
North316 wrote:Darn, was hoping to see some Crusher wines here other than the Orange. Oh well, money saved. Another long week to wait for more disappointment.

They don't ship to OH anyway.... Don & Sons has gotten too big for Ohio's buzzkill legislators.

avontron

quality posts: 1 Private Messages avontron

I would probably be getting a couple cases of this if it weren't for the heat in Vegas in the middle of summer. I know woots summer shipping uses ice packs and Styrofoam but I just don't trust that to work when it is 110-115 outside. I wish there was a "hold in warehouse till fall" option.

Cesare

quality posts: 1651 Private Messages Cesare

The Crusher

The Crusher Orange Chardonnay 3-Pack
$49.99 $̶7̶1̶.̶0̶0̶ 30% off List Price
2012 Crusher The Big Orange Chardonnay

The Crusher Orange Viognier 3-Pack
2012 Crusher The Big Orange Viognier

The Crusher Orange Blend 3-Pack
2012 Crusher The Big Orange Chardonnay & Viognier Blend

The Crusher Orange Mix 3-Pack
2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay & Viognier Blend
2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay
2012 The Crusher Big Orange Viognier

The Crusher Orange Mix 6-Pack
$84.99 $̶1̶3̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 38% off List Price
2 2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay & Viognier Blend
2 2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay
2 2012 The Crusher Big Orange Viognier

The Crusher Orange Mix 12-Pack
$149.99 $̶2̶6̶9̶.̶0̶0̶ 44% off List Price
4 2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay & Viognier Blend
4 2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay
4 2012 The Crusher Big Orange Viognier

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

TikiMi

quality posts: 0 Private Messages TikiMi

Have your shipment re-routed to a FedEx office for pickup. After I get the notice that my wine has shipped, I follow the tracking link & select the option to re-route to the FedEx by my house. Then I just pick it up on the way home. Easy-peasy. :-)

avontron wrote:I would probably be getting a couple cases of this if it weren't for the heat in Vegas in the middle of summer. I know woots summer shipping uses ice packs and Styrofoam but I just don't trust that to work when it is 110-115 outside. I wish there was a "hold in warehouse till fall" option.

avontron

That's definitely a good idea. I am still a little worried about the temperature of the wine getting to the FedEx facility, and also the temp inside the FedEx facility though.

TikiMi wrote:Have your shipment re-routed to a FedEx office for pickup. After I get the notice that my wine has shipped, I follow the tracking link & select the option to re-route to the FedEx by my house. Then I just pick it up on the way home. Easy-peasy. :-)

kylemittskus

avontron wrote:That's definitely a good idea. I am still a little worried about the temperature of the wine getting to the FedEx facility, and also the temp inside the FedEx facility though.

Buy. If it's cooked, it's on woot, not you. They'll refund/replace if there's any issue. It's no risk to you and all gain if you want in.

rjquillin

quality posts: 179 Private Messages rjquillin

Props to WD for the varied selections, and WW for the video!

CT

rjquillin

avontron wrote:That's definitely a good idea. I am still a little worried about the temperature of the wine getting to the FedEx facility, and also the temp inside the FedEx facility though.

Deliveries to the local FedEx office here are generally early morning, 09:30~10:00 or so. As my default shipping address, I find most everything is amazingly trouble free and well air-conditioned.

CT

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower

I did not have the 2010 but I did like the 2011 offered earlier this year. Really liked it and wish they had something similar. I was not a big fan of these which I bought in the mixed pack in the last offer.

siwbm

quality posts: 5 Private Messages siwbm
kylemittskus wrote:I'd like the three pack, but a) SIWBM and b) $20 per after shipping and tax is a little steep and c) SIWBM.

You called?

dalematthew

quality posts: 23 Private Messages dalematthew
TikiMi wrote:Have your shipment re-routed to a FedEx office for pickup. After I get the notice that my wine has shipped, I follow the tracking link & select the option to re-route to the FedEx by my house. Then I just pick it up on the way home. Easy-peasy. :-)

I'll take this opportunity to note one of the things that still bugs me. The above would work if we received timely shipping notification.

Quite often the email notification of shipment does not arrive until the day the wine is on the truck to ones door, or even after a failed delivery attempt.

aequitas111

quality posts: 2 Private Messages aequitas111
rjquillin wrote:Deliveries to the local FedEx office here are generally early morning, 09:30~10:00 or so. As my default shipping address, I find most everything is amazingly trouble free and well air-conditioned.

I'm from Vegas and had some wine shipped from WTSO. I had it held it at the local facility for a couple days when the temp was 116-120 that one week. First off, the wine was chill at a good 65 degrees as the temp was extremely cold in the office. Second, just popped open the bottle being worried about the long week in transit delivery, and the bottle was good, no flaws were caused from that terrible heat.

vonstuff

quality posts: 0 Private Messages vonstuff

I wanted to send this to my nephew as a gift but it seems I cannot. Ouch. We both are over 21 and I want to use my payment info. Why can't I do this.

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt

Who is the winemaker on these?
Nevermind, I see it in the write-up.

I loved the 2010 by Winemaker Michelle McClendon. Not so much for the 2011, which causes me to be reluctant about the 2012.

skispeakeasy

quality posts: 36 Private Messages skispeakeasy

I would love to have this wine, but once again, the PLBC has totally screwed me.

rjquillin

hasopt wrote:Who is the winemaker on these?
Nevermind, I see it in the write-up.

I loved the 2010 by Winemaker Michelle McClendon. Not so much for the 2011, which causes me to be reluctant about the 2012.

I also rather liked the '10 over the '11. Was the winemaker mentioned in woot threads I need to go back and review? OTOH, I could get this and complete a 3-year vertical for Klez and I.

CT

kylemittskus

vonstuff wrote:I wanted to send this to my nephew as a gift but it seems I cannot. Ouch. We both are over 21 and I want to use my payment info. Why can't I do this.

Not a state they can ship to?

Cyradia

quality posts: 30 Private Messages Cyradia

Kudos to the flexibility of size offers. I appreciate the "buy 3 or 6 or 12" options, and the price savings that go with them as you up your order.

kylemittskus

Cyradia wrote:Kudos to the flexibility of size offers. I appreciate the "buy 3 or 6 or 12" options, and the price savings that go with them as you up your order.

+1

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
Cyradia wrote:Kudos to the flexibility of size offers. I appreciate the "buy 3 or 6 or 12" options, and the price savings that go with them as you up your order.

Agree.
I know a few of us mentioned this a while back and it's good to see WD listens to his customers. Unfortunately, I did not like the '11 I ordered previously but having these many options in the future will make it easier for me to hit the yellow button for a wine a like.

"The older I get the better I was"

losthighwayz

quality posts: 59 Private Messages losthighwayz
rjquillin wrote:I also rather liked the '10 over the '11. Was the winemaker mentioned in woot threads I need to go back and review? OTOH, I could get this and complete a 3-year vertical for Klez and I.

I never had the 2010 but did not care for the 2011 much. Maybe of my style. Anyway, I believe the winemaker has been the same for all three vintages. That being said, I have a STRONG feeling that Sebastian and Sons saw the enormous response to the first Orange wine and upped production as well as the varietals in order to up their profit. Unfortunately, the quality and uniqueness of the Big Orange went down. Fast.

"The older I get the better I was"

North316

quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316
losthighwayz wrote:I never had the 2010 but did not care for the 2011 much. Maybe of my style. Anyway, I believe the winemaker has been the same for all three vintages. That being said, I have a STRONG feeling that Sebastian and Sons saw the enormous response to the first Orange wine and upped production as well as the varietals in order to up their profit. Unfortunately, the quality and uniqueness of the Big Orange went down. Fast.

2010 was a different winemaker and seemingly very different stylistic approach.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

rjquillin

North316 wrote:2010 was a different winemaker and seemingly very different stylistic approach.

Sad they changed, that 2010 was quite tasty. And to think, I actually parted with a bottle for Klez before I tried the 2011. Wonder if he still has it?
If anybody out here does pick up the 2012, I'd like a bottle or two so we can have a 3-year tasting some day.

CT

83fxwg

quality posts: 9 Private Messages 83fxwg
North316 wrote:2010 was a different winemaker and seemingly very different stylistic approach.

Would love some feedback from WD or the winemaker as to the style of the 2012's...a little bit of info and I could easily pull the trigger on a case+

I'm drowning and monkeys dressed as lifeguards are throwing me anvils...

hasopt

quality posts: 3 Private Messages hasopt

2010 - Winemaker Michelle McClendon
2011 - Winemaker Gloria Mercado-Martin
2012 - Winemaker Gloria Mercado-Martin

The 2011 style seems very different from the 2010. And the orange color of the 2010 is just beautiful, and it has nice body too.

avontron

I'm convinced. Between this and shipping to the FedEx facility, I can't help but to stock up!

kylemittskus wrote:Buy. If it's cooked, it's on woot, not you. They'll refund/replace if there's any issue. It's no risk to you and all gain if you want in.

Winedavid39

quality posts: 208 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

83fxwg wrote:Would love some feedback from WD or the winemaker as to the style of the 2012's...a little bit of info and I could easily pull the trigger on a case+

Hi, sorry for the delay, i'm trying to hail the winemaker. stay tuned.

glomakesvino

quality posts: 1 Private Messages glomakesvino
Winedavid39 wrote:Hi, sorry for the delay, i'm trying to hail the winemaker. stay tuned.

Hello, everyone!

My name is Gloria Mercado-Martin, and I make the white (and the orange) wines at Don Sebastiani & Sons.

There were stylistic and seasonal differences between the 2011 and 2012 Orange wines. The 2011s were made in T-bins (big square plastic containers that hold ~ 1 ton of fruit), and the caps were manually punched down. In 2012, I fermented the wines in 10-ton stainless steel tanks, and the caps were pumped over. Perhaps because of the difference in cap management, as well as the temperature control achieved in the tanks, I find the 2012 Orange wines very expressive and varietal. It is also true that 2011 was a challenging harvest, because of the bad weather earlier in the season and the unusually cool summer. From a weather standpoint, I can’t think of a more perfect harvest than 2012.

G

fogtower

quality posts: 1 Private Messages fogtower

I really enjoyed the flavor profile of the 2011 offering, I guess I like the butterscotch, almond and plastic influences I did not sample the 2010, only the 2012.

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

I picked up the vertical last time (previous discussion linked below). Pick one of the three and I'll drink it tonight and leave notes.

http://wine.woot.com/forums/viewpost.aspx?postid=5471513

greyday

quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday

It got late so I went with the blend(2012). It had an earthy nose (oddly enough) when first poured. Instantly sweet but also somehow kind of dry, it fluctuated from tart fruit to rather sweet, including a moment or two of cotton candy. It lingers. Like, a really lot.

Time in the glass did it few favors, it just tasted a bit more like a white, so I do suggest pouring small and drinking, not pouring big and sipping. It is definitely more enjoyable than the 2011, though I did like that one too (didn't have a 2010, sold out before I woke up)...

rjquillin

glomakesvino wrote:There were stylistic and seasonal differences between the 2011 and 2012 Orange wines. The 2011s were made in T-bins (big square plastic containers that hold ~ 1 ton of fruit), and the caps were manually punched down. In 2012, I fermented the wines in 10-ton stainless steel tanks, and the caps were pumped over. Perhaps because of the difference in cap management, as well as the temperature control achieved in the tanks, I find the 2012 Orange wines very expressive and varietal. It is also true that 2011 was a challenging harvest, because of the bad weather earlier in the season and the unusually cool summer. From a weather standpoint, I can’t think of a more perfect harvest than 2012.

G

Gloria,

Can you compare this offering to the initial 2010 we all so much enjoyed? After the '11, I'm a bit hesitant on the '12 here.

CT

fenderehx4ever

quality posts: 2 Private Messages fenderehx4ever
Cesare wrote:The Crusher

The Crusher Orange Mix 3-Pack
2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay & Viognier Blend
2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay
2012 The Crusher Big Orange Viognier

The Crusher Orange Mix 6-Pack
$84.99 $̶1̶3̶7̶.̶0̶0̶ 38% off List Price
2 2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay & Viognier Blend
2 2012 The Crusher Big Orange Chardonnay
2 2012 The Crusher Big Orange Viognier

I made the innocent mistake of ordering 2 of the 3-packs instead of the 6-pack, and subsequently paid $15 more than necessary. Woot's customer service wrote back that they are unable to alter the order, and made no other offer to compensate for the mistake. I would expect that if I were not a regular customer of both Woot and this wine supplier.

Can someone explain in detail why it is so difficult to help a loyal customer in this particular situation?

kylemittskus

fenderehx4ever wrote:I made the innocent mistake of ordering 2 of the 3-packs instead of the 6-pack, and subsequently paid $15 more than necessary. Woot's customer service wrote back that they are unable to alter the order, and made no other offer to compensate for the mistake. I would expect that if I were not a regular customer of both Woot and this wine supplier.

Can someone explain in detail why it is so difficult to help a loyal customer in this particular situation?

This seems insane to me, to be honest. It's the same ****ing thing. I'd email again and maybe you'll get a better, more helpful CSR?

rjquillin

fenderehx4ever wrote:I made the innocent mistake of ordering 2 of the 3-packs instead of the 6-pack, and subsequently paid $15 more than necessary. Woot's customer service wrote back that they are unable to alter the order, and made no other offer to compensate for the mistake. I would expect that if I were not a regular customer of both Woot and this wine supplier.

Just cancel the order, and if they don't, contest it with your CC provider and refuse delivery. I had a similar incident the first day we went to shipping on each order from the consolidated shipping. Cancelled all as they wouldn't offer any relief.
This is absurd.

CT