WootBot


quality posts: 14 Private Messages WootBot

Staff

Chateau Bianca Oregon Mixed Whites (12)

Speed to First Woot:
4m 13.445s
First Sucker:
sablefat
Last Wooter to Woot:
Locutus001
Last Purchase:
a year ago
Order Pace (rank):
Bottom 42% of Wine Woots
Top 42% of all Woots
Woots Sold (rank):
Top 37% of Wine Woots
Top 28% of all Woots

Purchaser Experience

  • 2% first woot
  • 5% second woot
  • 19% < 10 woots
  • 18% < 25 woots
  • 56% ≥ 25 woots

Purchaser Seniority

  • 2% joined today
  • 1% one week old
  • 1% one month old
  • 12% one year old
  • 85% > one year old

Quantity Breakdown

  • 96% bought 1
  • 4% bought 2
  • 0% bought 3

Percentage of Sales Per Hour

4%
1%
0%
0%
0%
3%
4%
3%
8%
10%
9%
8%
7%
4%
7%
2%
4%
3%
2%
3%
6%
5%
3%
4%
12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Woots by State

zero wooters wootinglots of wooters wooting



Quality Posts


Cesare


quality posts: 1597 Private Messages Cesare

Chateau Bianca Oregon Mixed Whites Case
$99.99 $̶1̶7̶3̶.̶0̶0̶ 42% off List Price
2008 Chateau Bianca Pinot Gris
2008 Chateau Bianca Riesling
2009 Chateau Bianca Estate Pinot Blanc
2008 Chateau Bianca Chardonnay
CT links above

Winery website

-il Cesare
Sole Absolute Triple
Exalted High Tastemaster Supreme
“In the entire world there are only a few sounds that bring joy to all but the most jaded. One is the murmur of a kitten purring. Another is the thwack of a well-pitched baseball hitting a perfectly swung bat. And the third is the pop of a cork being pulled from a bottle of wine.” —George Taber

klezman


quality posts: 121 Private Messages klezman

The stats are clearly wrong on some of the listings, and in general don't entirely match the descriptions. How do you say "very dry" and have a 0.5-6% RS?

If I wanted a case of whites, this looks like it'd fit the bill.

2014: 28 bottles. Last wine.woot: Scott Harvey Red Re-Mix
2013: 66 bottles, 2012: 91 bottles, 2011: 92 bottles, 2010: 74 bottles, 2009: 30 bottles, 2008: 3 bottles My CT

cmaldoon


quality posts: 62 Private Messages cmaldoon
klezman wrote:The stats are clearly wrong on some of the listings, and in general don't entirely match the descriptions. How do you say "very dry" and have a 0.5-6% RS?

If I wanted a case of whites, this looks like it'd fit the bill.



You mean the Pinot Blanc that has both a 0.8 AND a 0.6%RS?

It does look like a good mixed case.

2014 - 20 Btl. Fjellene (10 bot), Urraca Chard (10 bot)
Last purchase: 5/3/14

2013 - 75 btl. 2012 - 98 btl. 2011 - 112 btl. 2010 - 30 btl.
My Cellar

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1

It appears that none of these white wines have been made at Chateau Bianca since 2009.

I'm afraid that crashing sound is wine being dumped.

MarkDaSpark


quality posts: 181 Private Messages MarkDaSpark



cjsiege wrote:List of previous WW gatherings by area. New list in the Gatherings tab and Old list in the Community tab. Great reading and great examples of how to set up a Get-Together Thread.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upcoming Woot Wine Gatherings…All The News for the week of June 23

Happy Solstice, Everyone! Attend or Host a Get-Together in your area!

July
7/13: SoCal #27: Sparky & zTimBz Wine Locker Redux (Sukieasa in town)

August
8/3? TBD: NorCal #19: WineSmith BBQ in Santa Rosa
8/3: Minnesota #21 8-3-13
8/10: Omaha #1: Is there critical mass?
8/10 & 8/17: zTimBz's Bday / SoCal #28 - If we open them, he will come
8/24: The Wootception!!!

Pending
TBD: SeaTac & Western Washington Interest Thread.
TBD: NYC Tasting #??: A Tribute (interest thread)
TBD: NorCal #?: Open invitation to the New Muscardini Tasting Room


No events in your area??? Start one! Create an interest thread in the GATHERINGS Community Tab.




So join or create a WW Gathering!


Someone has to put WD's kids thru college, but why does it have to be me!
*This post is for purposes of enabling only, and does not constitute any promise of helping pay for said enabling. It does indicate willingness to assist in drinking said wine.

greyday


quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
ghyo1 wrote:It appears that none of these white wines have been made at Chateau Bianca since 2009.

I'm afraid that crashing sound is wine being dumped.



Perhaps, but that doesn't really say much about the quality of the wine in either direction.

Number019


quality posts: 5 Private Messages Number019

Well,I live 25 miles south of the winery. I have tasted their wines at the various wine festivals. I have purchased their white wines. I must say 2008 was the best year for Willamette Valley Oregon wines prior to 2012. The growing season was almost perfect with much rain in the spring and a warm(not hot), dry Summer. Most 2008 vintages are hard to find. These white wines are delicious and perfect for upcoming chilled imbibing on your next picnic or front porch during the upcoming Summer. You will enjoy these.

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
greyday wrote:Perhaps, but that doesn't really say much about the quality of the wine in either direction.



I raised a legitimate concern. If you have something of value to say, have at it.

rjquillin


quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin

This really does look like an interesting mixed case of somewhat aged whites. Hoping some descreprncies noted can be addressed and we learn some history here.

CT

rjquillin


quality posts: 171 Private Messages rjquillin
ghyo1 wrote:It appears that none of these white wines have been made at Chateau Bianca since 2009.

I'm afraid that crashing sound is wine being dumped.

...and for that very reason we have had some excellent offerings here that WD has picked up...

ghyo1 wrote:I raised a legitimate concern. If you have something of value to say, have at it.

Quality at fire sale pricing I have no issue with.
It's the quality here we want answers on.

CT

cortot20


quality posts: 137 Private Messages cortot20

Seems like a nice mix and some nice wines and at around $10 a bottle the price is definitely right, I don't have room though and I have had not so great experiences with buying whites a few years after bottling this last year so I think I have to pass.

CT

North316


quality posts: 107 Private Messages North316

I had the fortune of tasting a bottle of the 2008 Chardonnay offerred here. However, I also had the misfortune of coming down with a cold/sinus infection this weekend, which severily hampered my ability to provide any worthwhile tasting notes.

No matter how hard I tried, I could not smell the wine at all. I didn't get much on the palate other than a little bit of lemon, but I did notice some decent, mouthwatering acidity.

My wife attempted to help out on this one, but her notes are pretty sparse. She noted a very floral nose with a little bit of citrus. She didn't provide much in the way of flavor profiles, but noted that it was dry to off-dry with a little oak, but not too much and what she described as "crisp acidity".

I will try and taste this again tonight, but it will likely be futile.

My CT
"Trust your homies on the net", Clark Smith.
R.I.P. Inkycatz - Feb. 2013

greyday


quality posts: 52 Private Messages greyday
ghyo1 wrote:I raised a legitimate concern. If you have something of value to say, have at it.



...not sure why you're being defensive, but I did say it. There are a lot of reasons why a winery would stop producing a specific wine, the quality of the wine may not weigh into it at all.

pnonor


quality posts: 10 Private Messages pnonor
greyday wrote:...not sure why you're being defensive, but I did say it. There are a lot of reasons why a winery would stop producing a specific wine, the quality of the wine may not weigh into it at all.


Hi Wooters,
This is Andreas the winemaker for Chateau Bianca here to answer a couple of questions.
We did produce white wines in 2009 but none in 2010 due to the worst bird damage in the history of the state.
As another person noted, 2008 was a tremendous vintage and the flavors are really nice in all three of them (the Pinot Blanc is 2009).
We had an abundant crop in 2008 and hence you are getting the opportunity to get a fantastic deal. The wines are all still drinking well. You can check our website, we are still selling them in our tasting room.
The R.S. on the Pinot Blanc is around .6% so it does have a touch of sweetness, though the acid finish plays down most of it.
Hope that helps.

canonizer


quality posts: 22 Private Messages canonizer
klezman wrote:The stats are clearly wrong on some of the listings, and in general don't entirely match the descriptions. How do you say "very dry" and have a 0.5-6% RS?

If I wanted a case of whites, this looks like it'd fit the bill.



I'm not sure if I'm missing something: .5-.6% is pretty much fully dry. For champagne, that level would denote "extra brut". Most reds would land around here.

signed.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
canonizer wrote:I'm not sure if I'm missing something: .5-.6% is pretty much fully dry. For champagne, that level would denote "extra brut". Most reds would land around here.



There wasn't a decimal preceding the 6.

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

jclough59


quality posts: 0 Private Messages jclough59

Hey Woot guys & gals. I like wine just fine. No, really I do. But I'm a beer guy. Don't you know Craft Beer is growing by leaps and bounds? Yup, there are now over 2,400 breweries in the U.S.A.
So, how about slinging some of the stuff our way like you do wine? Because of distribution costs, it's next to impossible for guys on the
West Coast (say, in Bend Oregon) to get craft beer from the Eastern Seaboard and places like that, and vice versa.
Li'l help? I can see it now...Beer.Woot.com
I'd sign up for that!
Sincerely,
Jeff Clough
[MOD: Email removed. Also, this is a good discussion for World of Woot Wine.]

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
greyday wrote:...not sure why you're being defensive, but I did say it. There are a lot of reasons why a winery would stop producing a specific wine, the quality of the wine may not weigh into it at all.



Thanks, but I have still have not read anything from you about the quality of these wines. While these '08's and '09's may be served in their wine room, I am concerned about four and five year old white wines with many less than stellar reviews on Cellartracker. As the wine-maker has said, none of these wines were produced in 2010, but we have not yet heard about 2011 or 2012.

ThunderThighs


quality posts: 563 Private Messages ThunderThighs

Staff

pnonor wrote:Hi Wooters,
This is Andreas the winemaker for Chateau Bianca here to answer a couple of questions.
We did produce white wines in 2009 but none in 2010 due to the worst bird damage in the history of the state.
As another person noted, 2008 was a tremendous vintage and the flavors are really nice in all three of them (the Pinot Blanc is 2009).
We had an abundant crop in 2008 and hence you are getting the opportunity to get a fantastic deal. The wines are all still drinking well. You can check our website, we are still selling them in our tasting room.
The R.S. on the Pinot Blanc is around .6% so it does have a touch of sweetness, though the acid finish plays down most of it.
Hope that helps.


Welcome back. I've sent the correction to the Pinot Blanc in for fixin' on the sale.



FORUM MODERATOR.............ON VACATION!
To contact Customer Service, use the SUPPORT form at the top of every woot page
••• ► Woot's Return Policy ◄ ••• ► Did you check your spam/junk folders for a CS reply?
CANCEL?? How to cancel your order in the first 15 minutes!! - except Woot-Offs & expedited orders

pnonor


quality posts: 10 Private Messages pnonor
ghyo1 wrote:Thanks, but I have still have not read anything from you about the quality of these wines. While these '08's and '09's may be served in their wine room, I am concerned about four and five year old white wines with many less than stellar reviews on Cellartracker. As the wine-maker has said, none of these wines were produced in 2010, but we have not yet heard about 2011 or 2012.


We did produce whites in 2011 and 2012. As for the quality of the 2008's, if they would not be quality we wouldn't be selling them in our tasting room or anywhere else. These wines are fruit forward, nice on their own or fantastic with food. Unfortunately, when buying wine on the internet there are no scratch, sniff and taste buttons.

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
pnonor wrote:We did produce whites in 2011 and 2012. As for the quality of the 2008's, if they would not be quality we wouldn't be selling them in our tasting room or anywhere else. These wines are fruit forward, nice on their own or fantastic with food. Unfortunately, when buying wine on the internet there are no scratch, sniff and taste buttons.



Thanks, but I don't see any current vintages of these wines offered for sale either on your website or online- only pinot noirs and a dessert white wine. As you know, age can affect quality, if not right now, in the near future. The window of a quality experience may be closing rapidly. Sorry, but the scratch, sniff and taste buttons comment is a little ridiculous. When the educated wine buyer spends their money on an unknown wine in a competitive market, we have nothing to go on but online reviews. There have been too few here. At least for me, offering 6 instead of 12 would have generated more interest.

jmdavidson


quality posts: 57 Private Messages jmdavidson
ghyo1 wrote:Thanks, but I don't see any current vintages of these wines offered for sale either on your website or online- only pinot noirs and a dessert white wine. As you know, age can affect quality, if not right now, in the near future. The window of a quality experience may be closing rapidly. Sorry, but the scratch, sniff and taste buttons comment is a little ridiculous. When the educated wine buyer spends their money on an unknown wine in a competitive market, we have nothing to go on but online reviews. There have been too few here. At least for me, offering 6 instead of 12 would have generated more interest.



When you go to their website and to the Wine Shop, there are four pages of wines offered, including all of these that are offered here today.

funbunny


quality posts: 25 Private Messages funbunny

I received the 2008 Riesling as a hostess gift a few weeks back and cracked it open at Mom and Pop's this Friday while doing some landscaping.

This is a drier Riesling with immediate green apple on the nose and palate. Mom, Sis, Niece and myself all enjoyed it and agreed it was a perfect summer food white. It had a sweet touch in the very beginning but did finish with a crisp tartness you would expect from a off-dry Riesling with a nice long finish. Had a pale yellow color, probably around a pantone #607.

Dad was a little skeptical at first because he was looking for more sweetness, but then agreed with us that it is definitely a nice food wine. If you are a stickler for sweet Riesling, this won't be your bag, otherwise, a nice summer addition to your wine collection, especially for under $10 a bottle.

"Wine is sunshine held together by water" - Galileo Galilei

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ghyo1 wrote:Thanks, but I have still have not read anything from you about the quality of these wines. While these '08's and '09's may be served in their wine room, I am concerned about four and five year old white wines with many less than stellar reviews on Cellartracker. As the wine-maker has said, none of these wines were produced in 2010, but we have not yet heard about 2011 or 2012.



So far, there are 2 unbiased reviews. One of them sucks due to illness and another doesn't.

We get it. You're worried about the age of the whites. What can the winery do besides tell you they aren't over-the-hill, back up that claim by having them poured currently in the tasting room, and answer every question that's been asked of them so far?

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
jmdavidson wrote:When you go to their website and to the Wine Shop, there are four pages of wines offered, including all of these that are offered here today.



I'm afraid you misunderstand. While these particular wines are offered, there are no CURRENT vintages, such as 2010, 2011, or 2012. Thanks.

kylemittskus


quality posts: 229 Private Messages kylemittskus
ghyo1 wrote:I'm afraid you misunderstand. While these particular wines are offered, there are no CURRENT vintages, such as 2010, 2011, or 2012. Thanks.



Why does that bother you? They decided not to make these varietals anymore OR they lost the grapes for some reason OR they haven't released them yet because they still have these OR ...

"If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine." -Rainer Maria Rilke

"Champagne is a very kind and friendly thing on a rainy night." -Isak Dinesen

aewaugh


quality posts: 1 Private Messages aewaugh

ghyo1 is a troll (25-49 purchases but scores of comments on personal topics who vents anger here rather than experience). This is a good price point for these wines. As for liquidations, WW scored nicely with the liquidation of Havens as anyone who took advantage of that sale can report.

emccarl


quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

On a much lighter note, this offering is EXACTLY what I'm interested in. 4 different white wines, all ready to drink. I popped open a nice 2008 Sav Blanc the other day (from another winery), and it was wonderful. I'm quite certain WD and staff have fully vetted this offering. If this is dumping, dump away!

In for 1!

emccarl


quality posts: 9 Private Messages emccarl

Oops, almost forgot:

Last Wooter to Woot:
emccarl

neilfindswine


quality posts: 170 Private Messages neilfindswine

Guest Blogger

Good Monday morning all...

Aged whites can be an 'eyebrow-raiser' and it's valid to be concerned about drinkability...

...that said, Chateau Bianca is a trusted producer, with multiple Woot appearances. And if we thought these wines were 'bad' they wouldn't be here.

Again, valid to question, and we understand some may not purchase because of that concern.

Oh, and thanks to winemaker Andreas for stopping in and taking time out of his wine-making schedule. I'd like to think we could show him the courtesy of a civil discussion about today's offer...

I report to winedavid39...
...I like getting PM's from wannabe rodents...

mother


quality posts: 15 Private Messages mother
aewaugh wrote:WW scored nicely with the liquidation of Havens as anyone who took advantage of that sale can report.



Oooh, you had me until the Havens part And this is obviously not that.

(Wine of known provenance being sold to us by the actual winery that made them, which is still selling them itself.)

Edit: And thanks to the winemaker for stopping in!

Winedavid39


quality posts: 200 Private Messages Winedavid39

Guest Blogger

emccarl wrote:Excuse me!?! I thought WD was in charge of this forum. Who are you to determine what is "civil", and to tell someone not to post their opinion.

On a much lighter note, this offering is EXACTLY what I'm interested in. 4 different white wines, all ready to drink. I popped open a nice 2008 Sav Blanc the other day (from another winery), and it was wonderful. I'm quite certain WD and staff have fully vetted this offering. If this is dumping, dump away!

In for 1!



Thanks. And thanks to Neil for his comments. What is not seen or widely discussed is the amount of times we say no to the older stuff that comes our way.

Today's deal is drinking great.



timsampson


quality posts: 1 Private Messages timsampson

At under $9 a bottle, I can't understand all the fuss ghyo1 is making about quality. How can you really go wrong? If Cellartracker has less than stellar reviews, and you trust them to dictate to you what to buy and drink, then decide not to buy this case and move along. Why continue to harass everyone? The winemaker has answered the questions, but it wasn't good enough for you. Then you're complaining about older vintages losing quality and complaining about current vintages lack of information. I really don't think this case is for you, so please stop trolling this board and wait for tomorrow's deal.

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
aewaugh wrote:ghyo1 is a troll (25-49 purchases but scores of comments on personal topics who vents anger here rather than experience).



So sorry you are angry with me. With zero quality posts, I can only guess where you are coming from. You may believe that WineWoot is the only source of wines, or that you own this site because of a few purchases. Both would be wrong assumptions. I post questions and concerns here about pricing and quality relative to price. That doesn't make me a troll (whatever that is). If you don't agree, that's fine with me. I won't call you a name or attack your motives. BTW, WineWoot changed their 'retail price' policy because of concerns such as mine.
Now, you don't know me and I'm happy to keep it that way. But, I do have some experience, though perhaps not to your standards. I try to buy wisely for my everyday consumption because I have a collection of 1,500 bottles and don't want to open an expensive wine every day. (One recently sold for $9,250.) Since I really, really enjoy wine, I want the best wine for the money I can find. Many times, that's here. I just choose very, very carefully.
Please let us know about these wines. I hope they are as good as your money believes.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
ghyo1 wrote:Thanks, but I have still have not read anything from you about the quality of these wines. While these '08's and '09's may be served in their wine room, I am concerned about four and five year old white wines with many less than stellar reviews on Cellartracker. As the wine-maker has said, none of these wines were produced in 2010, but we have not yet heard about 2011 or 2012.



You complain that there isn't much information, but you don't have any to offer.
You allude to "many less than stellar" reviews on CT, but there are in fact rather few, and all but one are made by the same person, which may indicate nothing more than a personal taste issue.
It's fairly unusual to see wines offered here that are still available in the tasting room at the winery. To me, the fact that these are indicates that they are fully confident that the wine is of good quality, at least for the near term. The question about 2010 was answered by the winemaker, and while I wouldn't have minded an answer to the question about subsequent vintages, other than merely acknowledging that they made whites during those years, there are a number of possible reasons why subsequent vintages are not available while older vintages still are: they may prefer to hold them until the older ones are gone, or nearly gone; they may be sold out; they may not be considered ready for release, etc.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
neilfindswine wrote:Good Monday morning all...

Aged whites can be an 'eyebrow-raiser' and it's valid to be concerned about drinkability...

...that said, Chateau Bianca is a trusted producer, with multiple Woot appearances. And if we thought these wines were 'bad' they wouldn't be here.

Again, valid to question, and we understand some may not purchase because of that concern.

Oh, and thanks to winemaker Andreas for stopping in and taking time out of his wine-making schedule. I'd like to think we could show him the courtesy of a civil discussion about today's offer...



And thank you for a respectful and courteous reply.

ddeuddeg


quality posts: 29 Private Messages ddeuddeg
Winedavid39 wrote:Thanks. And thanks to Neil for his comments. What is not seen or widely discussed is the amount of times we say no to the older stuff that comes our way.

Today's deal is drinking great.

I hope the mods picked this up as a quality post. Thanks for keeping the eye on quality wine, as well.

"Always keep a bottle of Champagne in the fridge for special occasions. Sometimes the special occasion is that you've got a bottle of Champagne in the fridge". - Hester Browne


Ddeuddeg's Cheesecake Cookbook

ghyo1


quality posts: 7 Private Messages ghyo1
Winedavid39 wrote:Thanks. And thanks to Neil for his comments. What is not seen or widely discussed is the amount of times we say no to the older stuff that comes our way.

Today's deal is drinking great.



That's good to hear. Why not offer a six-case of these? I know many here have bemoaned the larger quantity offers.

goldenthorn


quality posts: 38 Private Messages goldenthorn

Volunteer Moderator

Heya, all! Please keep the discussion focused on the wine and definitely refrain from... discussing each other. Going nuclear on a thread isn't fun.